Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

R3: Carlton Vs Sydney (Post match discussion)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Very little from Polson and Gibbons (8 disposals between them).

Jones excellent on Franklin.

Polson and Gibbons also 2 tackles between them - ball swept out of Carlton's forward line too easily.

Cripps + Walsh excellent. May be time to give Setterfield a run in the reserves for Kennedy.

Disappointing kicking for goal from McKay.

Dominated inside 50 for a while in the last quarter but as usual couldn't capitalise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:27 pm 
Robert Walls

JSOS to come back in

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Fought it out to the end, when I thought they might roll over.
Some attractive football in the 1st quarter.
Jones, Cripps, Ed, Harry and Walsh.

Cons:

3rd week in a row we've been reamed by the umps in the 50 metre arc. Soft free kick goals to opposition. But seemingly unwilling to pay any frees to our forwards.
Set shot kicking for goal.
Again struggled to be competitive for 2 quarters.
Beaten on the spread and outtackled.
Small forwards.
Dow's poise with the ball in hand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Started well but faded and never really recovered.

There is really worrying signs. We continue to hug the boundary and then bomb long to a F50 contest. If this is the plan for the year which it appears to be, then I fear for not only what the rest of the year is going to look like, but for Bolton's ability as a senior AFL coach.

Harry's contested marking was fantastic. But his kicking for goal wasn't great today.

Cripps continues to be a contested animal but he is trying to do everything by himself and gets himself into trouble at times because of it.

Paddy Dow's kicking is concerning. Is it a fatigue thing which will improve with a better fitness base ie more preseasons? Or can he just not kick? His miss in the opening minute had nothing to do with fatigue

Liam Jones was massive. Buddy was lucky to get the goals he did. The rest of the defence left a lot to be desired with some very weak one on one contests from the likes of Plowman and Newman

The opposition ruckman continues to be in their teams best week after week.

The entries in F50 and the forward structure in general is poor.

I'm feeling the hope sucked from me with each passing week. Next week means a lot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

2 games in a row...fast start then scoring dries up.

Not sure what to think. pushed Sydney with our first choice ruckman and best forward out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The final result reflected the under fourteen shots for goal missed in the first quarter by our FF who missed one from three metres directly in front and one from five metres on his preferred left at a slight angle.
Then there was the one from twenty out running onto an open goal by Dow, I think it was.
It also reflected the fact Sydney zone and spread was a million times better than ours. We had a hundred fewer possessions or something stupid like that, uncontested marks must have been a world record deficit and we couldn't stick a tackle all night.
We played another two quarters of footy. That's six for the season, so far out of a possible twelve.
OK, we almost played three. There was just that slight lapse of concentration for 28 minutes in the third before somebody twigged that we should use the centre corridor and pass it inside fifty to a lead up forward. Those two fruitful minutes might well be counted as a quarter because we kicked more goals in those two minutes than we did for the entire second quarter.

But the worst thing of all is that we got called brave on the AFL website. Brave! That's reserved for Essendon* when they have a VFL side in because their seniors are all suspended for drug use..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm 
Bob Chitty

Dow had a bad game. Certainly had his chances to make an impact. He will bounce back.

SPS was amazing at times. Liked his first half and then he went back to his dinky little kicks which was frustrating.

Plowman was poor. He’s not in our best 22 if we are healthy.

Jones amazing.

Missed a few key easy shots and they didn’t.

We would all prefer Charlie but Caz did OK. Worked hard as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought we got pantsed. Scoreboard totally flattered us.

Who was number 10 for them? The bald bloke. He killed us.

I hope Dow & Harry both got a bake for their misses in the opening minutes... unforgivable.

Walsh had a pretty good game & Setterfield did some nice things. But overall Syd just looked a lot better set up at the stoppages, & repeatedly found men in free space.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:

I hope Dow & Harry both got a bake for their misses in the opening minutes... unforgivable.

Walsh had a pretty good game & Setterfield did some nice things. But overall Syd just looked a lot better set up at the stoppages, & repeatedly found men in free space.

I agree scoreboard flattered us, when we went in behind at quarter time and saw the stats matching up to what I saw being smashed for outside run, I thought we were in trouble.

We did well to hang in there and give ourselves a sniff in the last, but we are so far off the pace of every side on the competition still.

If we can keep our core fit for the majority of the season, I’d expect improvement with greater cohesion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

Almost a carbon copy of last week. So many inside 50s for no outcome.

Jones, Cripps and Walsh had great games. Not enough from the supporting cast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We were beaten all day at stoppages and contests. We set up so poorly it is like watching U12s. I know it's a young side but the coaching surely has to come into the question. It was chalk and cheese in terms of set ups and organisation on the field. Amateur hour. We might be the worst prepared side going around.

Ken Hunter

Not long home from the game.
Very frustrating.
We leave it up to too few again.
Too many passengers.
Cripps and Walsh were huge, great game by Ed.
You cannot win when you only play 2 quarters of footy. We went almost two quarters where we only kicked one goal.
We are such a dump footy team, bombing it blindly to nobody.
Those umpires were cheats. How they did not see some blatant frees that every one else at the ground saw is beyond me.
Buddy is a flog.
Same old.
Green shoots blah blah.

Post subject: Re:
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:

Walsh covered a lot of ground and got plenty of the footy but his kicking efficiency was about 50%. 51% at one stage. That will come.
Setterfield needs game time. He played just OK, didn't get the footy a lot. He hasn't played much footy for a while and he would be worried about his knee.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:

Zac Jones (Nathan's brother).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dow's usage by foot especially forward of centre continues to be a huge concern.

And our small forwards, they are just so bad. Not even close to AFL standard. Polson and Gibbons were spectators out there. Not only could they not get the ball but they couldn't lay a tackle either. Disgraceful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cripps today had 8 centre bounce clearances from 23 attendances. Sydney had 11 in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm 
Robert Walls

The_Cranium wrote:

The opposition ruckman continues to be in their teams best week after week.

And it’s not just in the middle. The opposition ruckman is playing loose all over the ground and giving them defensive and offensive assistance and we get nothing from ours.

Kreuzer can’t get back soon enough.

At least it’s pretty obvious where the deficiencies are on the field. Ruck, small forward, rebounding defender. Cuningham also can’t get back soon enough.

And so many passengers today.

Good
McKay
Cripps
Jones
Weitering
Walsh
Curnow

Ok
SPS
Marchbank
Casboult
Simpson
Thomas
Murphy

The rest were either ineffective or unsighted

Terrible
Gibbons, Polson, Newman and Plowman had awful games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Dow's usage by foot especially forward of centre continues to be a huge concern.

And our small forwards, they are just so bad. Not even close to AFL standard. Polson and Gibbons were spectators out there. Not only could they not get the ball but they couldn't lay a tackle either. Disgraceful.

Yeah, but Polson had three score assists last week.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

For the most part, thought today was a major step backwards. Painful to watch for large patches.

Too much to too few.

Crying out for an AFL standard ruckman and small forwards.

Some great individual games. Cripps Jones Walsh Ed. SPS at times.

Horrible games from Polson Gibbons Lobbe. Plowman not far behind.

Our F50 ‘system’ is abysmal. As was our skill execution and defensive running.

An early win against good opposition would do wonders for our group. Screwed it up 3 times now. I fear for our overall confidence going forward.

Very, very flat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next