Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 am 
Laurie Kerr

99prelim wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I wonder if the new rules reducing runners on the ground affects us a bit moreso than the experienced midfields like Sydney's

Did anybody at the ground pick up that Syd used their physio in the last qtr to relay instructions to Heeney?
It may have only been to tell him the time remaining...but again, Newton's third law comes into play...

Yes I saw that 99.... from memory it was at the time Heeney was lining up to kick the sealer. I suppose they would say he was checking him out after that "brutal" attack by Plowman in the marking duel :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:46 pm 
Bob Chitty

Reading the first 5 pages of this thread was probably more disheartening than the actual loss.
Yes it is frustrating that we are not better but the hysterical negativity on those pages is ridiculous.
I'm a green shoots person about the Blues but it is challenging at the moment.
How do some of you get up in the morning?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:50 pm 
Bob Chitty

My positive was the 4 times we moved the ball through hands and feet to then hit a leading forward on the chest for a shot on goal (and not from the J Waite memorial boundary line).
Not sure I saw that once in the previous 3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

very frustrating but agree patience is the key - having said that do we ever take our chances -how dispiriting when first 2 forays forward Dow and H who I both like and consider to have enormous upside both miss effectively from the goal square and IF WE NAILED THOSE GOALS start the game with pressure on the scoreboard as opposed to letting swans off the hook by kicking terribly - Problematically they were more the norm than the outliers -Our kicking for goal is diabolical - brilliant walsh and cripps -Jones another excellent game and first free kick to Duddy particularly egregious

Have a fear about Sunday and GC - desperately need win

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

BigGartos wrote:
Reading the first 5 pages of this thread was probably more disheartening than the actual loss.
Yes it is frustrating that we are not better but the hysterical negativity on those pages is ridiculous.

You're right BigGartos. It is frustrating and challenging, I think we all feel that way. I try to remain optimistic - we all have to.
Being at the Swans game on Saturday I genuinely thought we were going to run over the top of them. Am I just watching our beloved Blues through rose-coloured glasses? Was I just kidding myself? Time will tell.
Here's hoping for some wins soon.

Cheers

CFC8795

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

not that it is everything but I just tuned into BB press conference after the match and for those who need a lift have a look at that - was excellent in the circumstances - really impressive and its easy being impressive when you win much more difficult when you haven't won for ages - no bagging of umpires - no Scott-like /Hardwick like blaming of umpires and contentious free kicks - no excuses about the loss - measured appraisal of players efforts - no misunderstanding of tasks/job ahead - no misunderstanding that being competitive or honourable losses are good enough - reasoned appraisal of areas that cost us the win - no excuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lonny Mac wrote:
99prelim wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I wonder if the new rules reducing runners on the ground affects us a bit moreso than the experienced midfields like Sydney's

Did anybody at the ground pick up that Syd used their physio in the last qtr to relay instructions to Heeney?
It may have only been to tell him the time remaining...but again, Newton's third law comes into play...

Yes I saw that 99.... from memory it was at the time Heeney was lining up to kick the sealer. I suppose they would say he was checking him out after that "brutal" attack by Plowman in the marking duel :roll:

Yes. Great consistency from the umpires. One of our players was cleaned up by front on contact earlier in the game. When quizzed the umpire stated "he had his eyes on the ball".
Plowman also had his eyes on the ball but apparently it was irrelevant in the Heeney incident.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:37 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Our 3 tall forwards had nice ground positioning and space at one stage at the end of the first qtr.

McKay mark high up on the wing -> Casboult contest at half forward -> McGovern 30m out in the pocket for set shot.

Too many other times they're competing in the same area - not good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Well you're twice the man this guy will ever be:

Is that a man? Human kind?

I find it/ him/ that offensive.

I've seen it on TV or at Taronga Zoo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Lonny Mac wrote:
99prelim wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Yes. Great consistency from the umpires. One of our players was cleaned up by front on contact earlier in the game. When quizzed the umpire stated "he had his eyes on the ball".
Plowman also had his eyes on the ball but apparently it was irrelevant in the Heeney incident.

Says it all.

I heard it too....everyone heard it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

People selling Swan short.

They have fantastic skills up close.
That's nothing to do with game plan.
Soft hands. One touch. Lower the eyes.

My 11yo is in the Swans Academy, and the same message starts there.
Sure hands stay. Clumsy hands delist.
Short passes must hi target. Learn what 15 metres looks like.
Basics.

Then there's the spread. @#$%&! sprint to space. Create an outlet.

Simple stuff.

I dont know why Boltons game plan gets the blame for McKays miss from dead set in front, ditto Dow.
Inabilty to make connection by handball...for the last 10 years.
FMD. Get the basics right and it will all change.

Did anyone mention poise? I just did.
Carlton lack that. Kids get excited...

Remember last week when we got the free in front and Polson played on with a hurried under pressure kick which hit the post?

If Gibbons and Polso are not the answer for our small forwards, who do we replace them with?
NB: 4 disposals and 2 tackles between them (around 80% game time or 100 minutes each)
That makes it 1 disposal every 0 minutes. Why bother turning up?
Why blame Bolton for that? Everyone can see they are not at the level required.

Lobbe was a by standing onlooker most of the time the Swans rucks went for the high ball. Really unacceptable.

We did well to fight it out in the last.
Only lost by 3 straight kicks.
Did I mention we missed 6 straight in front?
Did I mention a lack of poise.
There were lateral options. Kids aren't looking.

Bring back Kreuzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigGartos wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The season hasn't gone by the wayside.

We haven't been blown away.

We have all witnessed simple player mistakes and fumbles.

All fixable. Just follow Cripps and Walsh's lead...and they will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
What I believe most everyone is saying in a roundabout way is this:

Sydney has a game plan and they know how to execute it.

It is a better game plan than ours whatever our game plan is.Facts please! Er we have won 3 games in how many AND you do not think our game plan has anything to do with it?

Whatever our game plan is, it is stifling the talents of our young, skilled players.Nonsense You ask for fact then you give a subjective response.

We are killing Cripps with our second best grunt mid fielder in Kennedy not playing.He's apparently injured, again Didn't know. Nice if the club website could let us know.

It will turn around when

1. Kennedy gets in

2. Philips/Kreuzer are back

3. C Curnow is back

4. McGovern is back

Agreed

And the boys are allowed to play down the corridor. Maybe the reason is that they still have issues with basic skills and going down the corridor would see 100pt blow outs. Fact: How do you know unless you give it a try. The current plan is not working, is it.

Rose coloured glasses.

Firstly, thank you Teddy for the response. I will just list the points so we don't make this a multi coloured mess.

1. No I don't, because:
a. We are on the back of a three year rebuild of the playing group.
b. We have one of the youngest, least experienced and matured bodied lists in the AFL.
c. Last season we had the most amount of injuries of any club and mostly to key mature players showing how shallow our depth was.
d. This will be the first season of full team development in the very publicly stated rebuild.
2. A subjective response was apt, no facts required. Please refer to point 1 for clarification.
3. Yes I agree, it would be nice to know of all injuries but from what has been said on here it might only be a 1 week injury.
4. We and many other teams before us with higher than normal skill errors have and have paid the price in a big way. Although we do look good when we switch it up and go down the corridor, if we did this all the time the better teams would drop players back and spread to the wings and kill us on the rebound even more. All without the protection of the boundary. Because a young team will always have clangers, fumbles and go missing, like we did on the weekend and better teams will make them pay.

But in summary I am happy to only have small losses as the team confidence will not be shattered and they will be more driven to follow the processes the coaches ask them to do. And hopefully the tides will turn and we will get some wins on the board, soon.

And the bottom line is we agree to disagree. That is what TC is all about.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AFLCA Votes

CARLTON v SYDNEY
10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
8 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
6 Zak Jones (SYD)
2 Liam Jones (CARL)
2 Ed Curnow (CARL)
1 Jarrad McVeigh (SYD)
1 Callum Mills (SYD)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

So one coach gave Liam Jones 2 votes and the other coach gave him none.
I thought he was well worthy of votes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 pm 
Robert Walls

Zak Jones would look good in navy blue. Half back and through the middle. Exactly what we need. Think he may be out of contract at the end of the year and would hope he is one of our targets.

McVeigh must love looking at the fixture to see when he plays us. Always has a good day out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

toddkurnski wrote:
Zak Jones would look good in navy blue. Half back and through the middle. Exactly what we need. Think he may be out of contract at the end of the year and would hope he is one of our targets.

McVeigh must love looking at the fixture to see when he plays us. Always has a good day out.

One of the reasons I have never liked him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:17 am 
Rod Ashman

Interestingly (or maybe not) the 24 scoring shots we had on the weekend were the most we have had in a game since Round 18, 2017 (27 vs. Brisbane). In no game last year did we have more than 22 scoring shots.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blues2005 wrote:
Interestingly (or maybe not) the 24 scoring shots we had on the weekend were the most we have had in a game since Round 18, 2017 (27 vs. Brisbane). In no game last year did we have more than 22 scoring shots.

wow ... that's a horrible stat for us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 am 
John James

Braithy wrote:
Blues2005 wrote:

wow ... that's a horrible stat for us

As usual a negative comment.

It couldn't be an indicator of a bit of improvement could it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next