Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Dow's usage by foot especially forward of centre continues to be a huge concern.

And our small forwards, they are just so bad. Not even close to AFL standard. Polson and Gibbons were spectators out there. Not only could they not get the ball but they couldn't lay a tackle either. Disgraceful.

Yeah, but Polson had three score assists last week.

Your hanging your hat on that? Really?

Woosh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Aah, I do love it here on TC.

Last week I went on about playing four quarters, Garlett being played out of position, Harry marking too far down the ground, SPS making dumb mistakes, Cripps opting for a couple of dumb options, reverting to the safe option of long down the boundary as soon as the pressure is on and the game plan being out of date. For my trouble, I was tag-teamed by several posters telling me to get back in my box, I was no real supporter, called a troll by someone in his first week on TC and how much I had changed from my formerly balanced self by someone whose insight into the game is always worth reading.

This week, lots of people are saying the exact same things I said last week.

The silence is deafening, because it's all true. There are hundreds of posters on here who have played high level sport or coached or both who don't just write stuff for the sake of it. I sometimes wonder whether the attack dogs have the same experience.

Everybody loves Harry McKay. Harry has taken more contested marks than anybody ever in the first three rounds of a season. That's awesome! He's our Full Forward so they must be generating lots of goals. No, they are mostly between half back and the wing, where he spends most of his time. Can anybody remember the great mark he took at HB, then wheeled around and belted it forty odd metres to the centre circle where there was not ONE single Carlton player near the ball drop? He was in the group of the closest players to our goal on the HBF. DUMB! And then is behind the goals vision in the last, I think it was, where Sydney had a man in the defensive goal square and there was another one cruising our F50 arc. NOT ONE Carlton player was on the attacking side of the centre. How on earth are we ever going to score enough goals to win a match when our forwards live in the defensive half of the ground? If it's to zone off the defensive 50, it isn't working. We see it every game where the opposition ball carrier has a choice of targets standing unattended inside their fifty. PLEASE! make Harry play out of the square where he forces a defender to be accountable and where he can run and jump at the football one on one. Lobbing it on his head where he always has at least two to contend with (often including one of our own) is too predictable.

In the first, we ran, carried, used the corridor, possessed the footy and kicked five, which should have been seven.
In the second we kicked long to a contest, allowed Sydney to possess the ball and we kicked one.
In the third we kicked long to a contest, allowed Sydney to control the footy until the 28 minute mark where we ran, carried, passed down the corridor controlled the footy and delivered to a leading forward for two quick goals.
In the fourth we tried to mix it up, over used handball, kicked to a contest deep in the goal square, had 19-5 F50 entries and kicked 2-6 or something.
We played two quarters of decent footy and one where we at least tried to mix it up and couldn't deliver.

There is a pattern emerging already this year. When we run and carry, we can mix it with good sides. When we revert to the Malthouse plan we get done over.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:48 am 
Bruce Comben

Another week, another honourable loss. I know this is an improvement, and I know it's probably the logical step to be competitive and not get blown out before we start winning, but f-me I am starting to get impatient.

I know it's me - the club can't fast strack things that aren't ready, but I want to sing the song. Come on Baggers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think we played Sydney at a bad time.
They were at full strength (incl Heeney 100% fit), were clearly switched on and were playing at their 'favourite' venue (they have an impressive win/loss record at Marvel). In my opinion they would have beaten a lot of teams yesterday.
Next week however we must beat the Gold Coast and I think we will. Following that we have very winnable games against the Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn and North.
I can see some positives from yesterday's game and am looking forward to the next 4 matches. If we don't win at least a couple of these I will be concerned however am not slashing my wrists yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heeney is amazing...and bloody no.
11...Papley. like an AOD hippie. Geez!
One thing...
The blues fans were so united and so desperate to see a win. If willing and wanting could have helped we would have smashed them.
Surely
It is not far away now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:12 am 
Ken Hunter

I finally agree with something Kane Cornes says.
Carlton don't know how to win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
I finally agree with something Kane Cornes says.
Carlton don't know how to win.
I have been saying it for years

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Not only that all other clubs have absolutely no respect or fear against us, they know no matter how bad they are playing they know if they’re playing us they can play to there system and trust in it enough to get over the line against us.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:28 am 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Not only that all other clubs have absolutely no respect or fear against us, they know no matter how bad they are playing they know if they’re playing us they can play to there system and trust in it enough to get over the line against us.

So true. Sydney supporters were actually showing the same disrespect in the last when we looked like it “they actually think they can win” - was one comment....I get so bloody angry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:33 am 
Harry Vallence

The non selection of Kennedy is very confusing.
Watching Cripps & Walsh try their best to win the ball while Setterfield, SPS, O' Brien and others just watched and waited and made very little attempt to win the ball.... I don't know seriously.

I reckon a lot of the game was lost before the ball was bounced. Stupid team selection against that Sydney team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:44 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Levi's selection was awful. Surely Jack should've been given the nod instead. Jack could've rotated forward and inside mid with Crippa.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:03 am 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Levi's selection was awful. Surely Jack should've been given the nod instead. Jack could've rotated forward and inside mid with Crippa.

Agreed, personally I think Levi is done at AFL level and having to pick him as a 3rd tall/ruck, shows we still have some depth issues.

Can't wait for Kruezer to get back on to the park. Lobbe was easily beaten in the ruck yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:10 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Aah, I do love it here on TC.

Last week I went on about playing four quarters, Garlett being played out of position, Harry marking too far down the ground, SPS making dumb mistakes, Cripps opting for a couple of dumb options, reverting to the safe option of long down the boundary as soon as the pressure is on and the game plan being out of date. For my trouble, I was tag-teamed by several posters telling me to get back in my box, I was no real supporter, called a troll by someone in his first week on TC and how much I had changed from my formerly balanced self by someone whose insight into the game is always worth reading.

This week, lots of people are saying the exact same things I said last week.

The silence is deafening, because it's all true. There are hundreds of posters on here who have played high level sport or coached or both who don't just write stuff for the sake of it. I sometimes wonder whether the attack dogs have the same experience.

Everybody loves Harry McKay. Harry has taken more contested marks than anybody ever in the first three rounds of a season. That's awesome! He's our Full Forward so they must be generating lots of goals. No, they are mostly between half back and the wing, where he spends most of his time. Can anybody remember the great mark he took at HB, then wheeled around and belted it forty odd metres to the centre circle where there was not ONE single Carlton player near the ball drop? He was in the group of the closest players to our goal on the HBF. DUMB! And then is behind the goals vision in the last, I think it was, where Sydney had a man in the defensive goal square and there was another one cruising our F50 arc. NOT ONE Carlton player was on the attacking side of the centre. How on earth are we ever going to score enough goals to win a match when our forwards live in the defensive half of the ground? If it's to zone off the defensive 50, it isn't working. We see it every game where the opposition ball carrier has a choice of targets standing unattended inside their fifty. PLEASE! make Harry play out of the square where he forces a defender to be accountable and where he can run and jump at the football one on one. Lobbing it on his head where he always has at least two to contend with (often including one of our own) is too predictable.

In the first, we ran, carried, used the corridor, possessed the footy and kicked five, which should have been seven.
In the second we kicked long to a contest, allowed Sydney to possess the ball and we kicked one.
In the third we kicked long to a contest, allowed Sydney to control the footy until the 28 minute mark where we ran, carried, passed down the corridor controlled the footy and delivered to a leading forward for two quick goals.
In the fourth we tried to mix it up, over used handball, kicked to a contest deep in the goal square, had 19-5 F50 entries and kicked 2-6 or something.
We played two quarters of decent footy and one where we at least tried to mix it up and couldn't deliver.

There is a pattern emerging already this year. When we run and carry, we can mix it with good sides. When we revert to the Malthouse plan we get done over.

Personally I think Harry got exposed due to the lack of Curnow and Gov in the second half. You still need a leading forward to link up the ground when coming out of defence, but his leads were mainly ineffective. This is something that he still needs to work on. I also would rather see him running from the square but as yesterday proved he might still have to go up the ground to get touches and risk being the furtherest forward player. This should of been Levi's role also but I think he is cooked at AFL level (let's hope I'm wrong).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

rhys87 wrote:
The non selection of Kennedy is very confusing.

According to a couple of BF posters Kennedy was left out because he pulled up sore after last weeks VFL match.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What I liked:
Basically, if McKay and Setterfield had their kicking boots on we would've won.

Cripps was awesome and carried a huge load on his own. Walsh is brilliant, so driven.

Jones did a great job and is having a good season. Playing much better this year now that his role is to play on his man rather than zone off into a different area code. Tick for both Jones and Bolton there.

Marchbank got through the game unscathed.

The players appeared to be busting a gut. They ran their arses off.

Ed had a good game, hopefully he's getting the hang of this forward business.

McKay's marking. It's excellent, he's gonna be a beast.

Our clearance numbers were really good. Level for inside 50s.

What I didn't like:
When we had the ball. The swans got numbers back so easily and outnumbered us at every contest.

When they had the ball. We were clueless and allowed them to move the ball too easily from half back to half forward. Real test for the coach to sort this out.

Polson and Gibbons. Ok, we got flooded a bit in the forward line and they only got four touches each. You can see that happening on a bad day but there were 54 inside 50s so to finish with one tackle each given that their role is being high pressure forwards isn't good enough.

Lost the tackle count by 18. Our endurance is good enough to run for four quarters now so it should be good enough to apply pressure for four quarters too. It's just as important.

Bad kicking for goal. We've had three games now that we've lost by around three goals. A few less easy misses can make a huge difference. Very small margin for error at the top level.

Lost to an aging, slow team that really isn't that good. Probably a worse loss than it looks on paper.

Zach Fisher tagging I'm not a real fan of. Should be an attacking weapon for us but instead we put our smallest player on Heeney who is known as one of Sydney's biggest aerial threats. Surely Setterfield would've been a better option after his second half on Rocky last week.

The coach of a team that is losing to us at quarter time is going to change things up. We don't seem to be ready for their next move and we're getting caught off guard in second quarters expecting it to be the same as the first. Another issue that Bolton needs to sort out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thanks Sin City, great post and an enojable read. Good to read an assessment of the game rather than a whole bunch of whining.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:33 pm 
Bob Chitty

Sidefx wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Agreed, personally I think Levi is done at AFL level and having to pick him as a 3rd tall/ruck, shows we still have some depth issues.

Can't wait for Kruezer to get back on to the park. Lobbe was easily beaten in the ruck yesterday.

Levi is not in our best 22 when we are all healthy. But SERIOUSLY what was so bad about his game? Played up the ground or in the ruck trying to let Harry and Gov stay deep. 5 hitouts. 6 marks. 3 contested. 7 inside 50’s and only 1 clanger. Kicked 0.1 from a tough angle but like I said played most of the game between the arcs and busted several packs to bring the ball to ground. Only gave away 1 free kick to appease those lining him up before the game even started saying “he better not give away dumb free kicks”.

He did his job. Will step aside when Charlie is healthy. No way could Silvagni have done the job Levi did.

Happy to have Silvagni in for half a dozen others.

Last edited by Crippa on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:37 pm 
Bob Chitty

Just watched the replay. Heaney made SPS, Fisher and Plowman all look terrible at different times. He killed us and the umps really reamed us on so many occasions.

I also think Murphy did some really great things. Best game I’ve seen from him for a while.

Last edited by Crippa on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

What I believe most everyone is saying in a roundabout way is this:

Sydney has a game plan and they know how to execute it.

It is a better game plan than ours whatever our game plan is.

Whatever our game plan is, it is stifling the talents of our young, skilled players.

We are killing Cripps with our second best grunt mid fielder in Kennedy not playing.

It will turn around when

1. Kennedy gets in

2. Philips/Kreuzer are back

3. C Curnow is back

4. McGovern is back

And the boys are allowed to play down the corridor.

Rose coloured glasses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next