Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sorry, Bondi, I didn't answer you directly but I expect them to win because they have the cattle to do it apart from the ruck.
I agree entirely with your ruck assessment and that is where the game will be won and lost, the clearances. Witts is a gun and Lobbe isn't.
We are a lot slower then them, which is a big weakness because they have shown they will run and carry. We have shown we don't.
Our strength is in being tall so we have to use that to advantage and I don't mean bombing it long to a contest. We have been badly shown up with our inability to maintain possession. This is a must. Settle the game down, use the angles to look for a runner and then a well directed forward fifty entry to Harry or Charlie, who must learn to run to different parts of the forward line. They get in each other's way if the ball is bombed long.

The other reason I expect them to win is the external pressure. If they can't play four quarters of footy when all and sundry are into them as well as the inference that BB is in the gun, I'll be disappointed. To me, this is THE must win game of the season and will define us for the rest of the year. GCS is in year two of their rebuild under Dew. We're in year three.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am 
Robert Walls

Reckon Lobbe will wind back the clock this weekend. Giving him 2nd best on ground with a vintage display.

Also reckon we’ll adjust after the first quarter for the first time this year. Surely last week’s 2nd quarter capitulation won’t be repeated.

Finally, I think it’ll be Silvagni rather than Curnow in.

And now that I’m here in the fourth paragraph I’m wondering about my Lobbe prediction. But that’s only because I’m typing slowly. You see I’d previously watched the Lobbe interview on the CFC website and thought to myself, “You know what? Sometimes guys get up for their milestone games.”

And then I thought, I’ll just grab a beer and keep typing.

And then I wrote a couple more paragraphs of outlandish predictions but I typed them slowly because I’m really quite drunk. And then I reread my first paragraph and thought, “Dude. Really?”

But then I thought @#$%&! it, your first thought is usually the right thought. Except for that time you thought you’d spend an intimate night with Trevor Sullivan’s sister. And that thought, which was your first at the time, wasn’t the correct one.

But I think it’s different this time.

I also think our slighter players - Zac and Samo - will have a field day. Just a hunch.

Cleary I get talkative when I’ve had a few. I’ll let you talk for a moment...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 am 
Bruce Doull

HTP wrote:
Reckon Lobbe will wind back the clock this weekend.

Missed the end of daylight savings last weekend did he?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:56 am 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

HTP wrote:
Reckon Lobbe will wind back the clock this weekend. Giving him 2nd best on ground with a vintage display.

Also reckon we’ll adjust after the first quarter for the first time this year. Surely last week’s 2nd quarter capitulation won’t be repeated.

And now that I’m here in the fourth paragraph I’m wondering about my Lobbe prediction. But that’s only because I’m typing slowly. You see I’d previously watched the Lobbe interview on the CFC website and thought to myself, “You know what? Sometimes guys get up for their milestone games.”

And then I wrote a couple more paragraphs of outlandish predictions but I typed them slowly because I’m really quite drunk. And then I reread my first paragraph and thought, “Dude. Really?”

But then I thought @#$%&! it, your first thought is usually the right thought. Except for that time you thought you’d spend an intimate night with Trevor Sullivan’s sister. And that thought, which was your first at the time, wasn’t the correct one.

I also think our slighter players - Zac and Samo - will have a field day. Just a hunch.

:lol: :lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Sorry, Bondi, I didn't answer you directly but I expect them to win because they have the cattle to do it apart from the ruck.
I agree entirely with your ruck assessment and that is where the game will be won and lost, the clearances. Witts is a gun and Lobbe isn't.
We are a lot slower then them, which is a big weakness because they have shown they will run and carry. We have shown we don't.
Our strength is in being tall so we have to use that to advantage and I don't mean bombing it long to a contest. We have been badly shown up with our inability to maintain possession. This is a must. Settle the game down, use the angles to look for a runner and then a well directed forward fifty entry to Harry or Charlie, who must learn to run to different parts of the forward line. They get in each other's way if the ball is bombed long.

The other reason I expect them to win is the external pressure. If they can't play four quarters of footy when all and sundry are into them as well as the inference that BB is in the gun, I'll be disappointed. To me, this is THE must win game of the season and will define us for the rest of the year. GCS is in year two of their rebuild under Dew. We're in year three.

I'm with you BS.

Good summary of the situation.

I think the GCS got a bit lucky with their recycled players and I believe they have flown under the radar.

Close down their attack from HB and look lower to avoid their abiltiy to intercept as they have done so with ease.

I like our defensive game in general. 2 years ago when we were ultra defensive and won a few on the trot it was because we choked teams similarlty to what the Swans have done and caught the opposition unawares up forward.

I have a feeling we will win this handsomely, but I'm looking where our next win will come from.

Like you said this is a must win. 4 quarters of desperate, never say die, take no prisoners approach. Hit em hard hit em low hit em with ....an elbow...or something like that.

I just hope Charlie is playing and brings his A game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

HTP wrote:

Most enjoyable read.

You should drink more often and post. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I'm with you BS.

I think the GCS got a bit lucky with their recycled players and I believe they have flown under the radar.

Close down their attack from HB and look lower to avoid their abiltiy to intercept as they have done so with ease.

I like our defensive game in general. 2 years ago when we were ultra defensive and won a few on the trot it was because we choked teams similarlty to what the Swans have done and caught the opposition unawares up forward.

I have a feeling we will win this handsomely, but I'm looking where our next win will come from.

Like you said this is a must win. 4 quarters of desperate, never say die, take no prisoners approach. Hit em hard hit em low hit em with ....an elbow...or something like that.

Bondi, have you been watching the Suns play this year?
I wish I had your confidence.
I reckon the Suns are a good chance to make the 8. It doesn't look like luck or something that will wear off.
In any case we are the underdogs in this.
If we win
That would be a massive step forward!
The media saying we should be able to win makes no sense to me. Look at who the Suns have beaten.
If we had a few missing players back and either K. Or Philips then I would see it differently.
(Sorry for the downbuzz)
That is a lot of pressure on Charlie to fix things if he does play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:05 am 
Bert Deacon

HTP wrote:

Post of the Year - so far. :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I'm with you BS.

Bondi, have you been watching the Suns play this year?
I wish I had your confidence.
I reckon the Suns are a good chance to make the 8. It doesn't look like luck or something that will wear off.
In any case we are the definitely underdogs in this.
If we win
That would be a massive step forward!
The media saying we should be able to win makes no sense to me. Look at who the Suns have beaten.
If we had a few missing players back and either K. Or Philips then I would see it differently.
(Sorry for the downbuzz)
That is a lot of pressure on Charlie to fix things if he does play.

Watched all 3, whilst I was barracking for them too.

They play full on attacking footy. Pressure in the middle.

Like most teams on the periphery if you close down their prime ball movers its all over.

I don't think they will make the final 8. I think they will be bottom 4.

I don't think Carlton have played all that bad in their 3 games.
Carlton have dominated games in periods.
Bring that for 4 quarters of desperate finals type footy and we will win.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

good.
I am barracking for you being right. :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

They actually score the same amount of goals per game as us (10)
It's their scores against that are impressive. (3rd lowest in the AFL) Our points against isn't too bad. Theres 6 teams in the AFL who concede more.
We just need to take more advantage of our forward opportunities. We're actually averaging more inside 50's than Geelong, Collingwood and The Eagles but our efficiency is ratshit.
That's our challenge. Better scoring efficiency from our inside 50s against a team that defends well.
Keep in mind they have the 2nd most rebound 50's in the AFL with Harbrow, Weller and Joyce being their main drivers. Weller being out is a bonus as he actually has more than any other Sun.

More than ever it's important we hit up targets instead of blasting away. Ballard and Collins intercept very well (both top 11 in the AFL) while it's their mid size players who kick their goals. (Sexton and surprisingly Swallow who averages 2 goals per game)
Charlie is the X factor. It's time for him to extract the digit and become a dangerous footballer again. I'd leave Murphy forward again. If Witts drops back into our forward 50, It's Levi's job to make him think twice. He has the ability to hit packs very hard when contesting the ball and Witts should be his target. We cant let him run around giving their mids silver service without a bit of physical pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Casboult Charlie McKay McGovern all in the same forward line ..?

Wouldn't be surprised if McGovern was a late withdrawal and is replaced by either Kennedy or JSOS.

They didn't travel.

If Gov out it'll be for Polson.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Surely has to be Levi or McGovern out for Charlie.

Can't go in with 4 tall forwards ??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:

You better believe it Rexy.

I like what BV suggests above.

We have our 4 big boys against Witts.
Casboults job is to soften Witts and make it easier for Lobbe in his milestone game.

WE have plenty of run.
Maybe we need more targets for our mids because their aim isnt crash hot atm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I wonder why Kennedy isn't getting a run yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:

According to a Bigfooty poster McGovern didn't train today so it appears likely he will be replaced by Polson (Kennedy and JSos didn't make the trip).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Good to see our days of "robbing Peter to pay Paul" selections are still dogging us.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:

According to a Bigfooty poster McGovern didn't train today so it appears likely he will be replaced by Polson (Kennedy and JSos didn't make the trip).

McGovern trained today and trained well, depends how he pulls up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Ta OR.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next