Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree Tommi. Our best footy, which we saw in that first quarter, is incredible. But like the mythical Icarus, the closer we fly towards the sun, the greater the chance our wings will start melting in the next quarter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:40 pm 
Bob Chitty

jim wrote:
Crippa wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
Wow

We got within 3 goals of Port, I'd have taken that in the lead up to the game WITH Charlie playing.

We have so many players under 50 games. We are developing and from what I see the future is looking bright.

Out Fasolo, thanks but no, not now, not ever again.

Polson, well done. You've been given many chances and now you've grabbed your opportunity. Well played.

Gov was great, so too Walsh, Dow & Samo. I could go on.

We aren't far off. Losing is shit but we are clearly headed in the right direction.

You weren't watching the game I was watching.
If you think that tripe was acceptable, you are part of the problem.
They played two of a possible quarters of footy. Same crap as last week. They got off to a good start and then stopped doing what they were doing and reverted to the safe stuff. Enter Port. It was last year's Richmond game all over again. They have learnt nothing in 53 weeks.
Polson kicked a good goal but was otherwise unsighted.
Fasolo did nothing but neither did any of our small forwards because our mids have no concept of how to deliver the ball into the F50. We can make decent players look shit in a short period of time.
Port's players under 50 games showed our players under 50 games how to run and back up. They had two players with one game experience that played better than half our mids with 40 games.
Gov did SFA. He has shown us little of what he is capable of.
Walsh and Dow went OK.
If I were to suggest we play Dow as a half back flanker, I would get shouted down and rightly so but we have put Garlett there against every footy instinct in his body and scream for him to be dropped. The kid isn't made to be a defender he is made to run and carry and fly for moty once a week. He is being asked to do something he can't do. When the ball flies at him, he has to stop himself from launching because if he misses it, it might result in a goal. I'm not suggesting he is Nat Fyfe but we'll never know unless we give him a go. That's a coach's decision to play im out of position and then tell him not to use natural ability.

We are a million miles away unless they play four quarters a week and stop doing the stupid stuff that costs us on the rebound.

Problems are all some people see. My memory of you BS is you might be a little more balanced week to week (but my memory is pretty ordinary and I’m not on the forum as much as many others) but some of you ONLY see the problems. I think some of us (including me) get very frustrated with those who only see the negatives and never acknowledge the positives. But we shouldn’t. It’s just your opinion. So it’s cool.

Re Gartlett. I don’t like him in the side. I don’t think he will work in defence. But re your statements about him highlighted above, haven’t you just described former forwards like Jeremy Howe, Chris Yarren and to a lesser extent Jones? Nothing wrong with people in the backline who like to fly for moty once a week or who like to run and carry.

I don’t agree with your Polson and Gov assessments either but both are very subjective and I can see why you think what you think.

2 wins in 37 games does makes us a little negative.

1423 wins in 2492 games makes me a little positive :grin:

It’s professional sport. We made plenty of changes over the summer to get better. We all start 0/0 each season. We are 0 wins in 2 games. Are we happy/satisfied? No. Can we however still see some positives along the way? I sure can. We can win the next 2 games. I can feel it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:48 pm 
Bruce Comben

Was at game yesterday. Not often I get to see us live but what stood out like dogs b@*lls was Ports ability to use the whole oval for the whole game versus our predictable/safe down the line into opposition numbers style. When we went quick, we at least looked dangerous

Their wingers held there position and gave strong outlet options. Number of times when we had ball in defensive fifty there were limited/no options outside of down the line....coaching???

Garlett...please! So much hands in crap versus body over the ball. That caused free late in third they got goal from.

Still not strong enough in contest (outside Cripps) for long enough. SPS and Dow did respond in third in contest but couldn’t sustain it in last.

Setterfield and Fisher disappointing first half’s

Plowman needs to run through ball stronger....waited a few times and paddles the ball

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
Wow

We got within 3 goals of Port, I'd have taken that in the lead up to the game WITH Charlie playing.

We have so many players under 50 games. We are developing and from what I see the future is looking bright.

Polson, well done. You've been given many chances and now you've grabbed your opportunity. Well played.

We aren't far off. Losing is shit but we are clearly headed in the right direction.

They played two of a possible quarters of footy. Same crap as last week. They got off to a good start and then stopped doing what they were doing and reverted to the safe stuff. Enter Port. It was last year's Richmond game all over again. They have learnt nothing in 53 weeks.
Fasolo did nothing but neither did any of our small forwards because our mids have no concept of how to deliver the ball into the F50. We can make decent players look shit in a short period of time.
Port's players under 50 games showed our players under 50 games how to run and back up. They had two players with one game experience that played better than half our mids with 40 games.
Walsh and Dow went OK.
If I were to suggest we play Dow as a half back flanker, I would get shouted down and rightly so but we have put Garlett there against every footy instinct in his body and scream for him to be dropped. The kid isn't made to be a defender he is made to run and carry and fly for moty once a week. He is being asked to do something he can't do. When the ball flies at him, he has to stop himself from launching because if he misses it, it might result in a goal. I'm not suggesting he is Nat Fyfe but we'll never know unless we give him a go. That's a coach's decision to play im out of position and then tell him not to use natural ability.

We are a million miles away unless they play four quarters a week and stop doing the stupid stuff that costs us on the rebound.

And yet Polson gave the ball to Ed to kick his goal and McGovern to kick one of his goals. That's 1 goal and 2 goal assists. That's reasonable output form a small forward.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Braithy wrote:
We continued to only play every 2nd quarter. A trend that dates back to well into last year and the year before. All in all, we've showed signs of promise for 3 years now. In little bursts we show we can go with most teams we encounter. But we have yet to take that next step.

what we can't seem to do is, play 4 full quarters of football.
In the 2nd qtr, Hinkley made defensive adjustments, zoning off the space between our forwards and mids, which meant it was a revolving door off our half back flank, straight back the other way. We didn't match those adjustments until the 3rd qtr, where instead of bombing it long, we held the ball and carried it more. Bending their structure out of place. They either had to retreat and man mark, or come to the ball carrier.

It was a nice tweak from our coaching ... but then? Gov kicks two goals, we're right back in the hunt. Port's defenders were all lost at sea, sending help to Gov's direct defender. and then we inexplicably take gov off? Surely he could have missed his scheduled rest bcos the flow of the game dictated that?

not sure how anyone can knock SPS. He's willing, never quits and doesn't take a backward step. I'd rather 22 players like that, who occasionally make errors, but also willingly go about making up for those errors next time his number is called.

Weiters is looking good. He's reading the game as good as anyone can, right now. He knows when to intercept, leave his man, or stick to him like glue. He's stronger and all of the confidence he'd lost last year is back.

I'm not sold on Gov, Harry and Charlie in the same forwardline. Too many entries fly back the other way, with barely a hand laid on them. 2 key forwards and a mosquito fleet of hard running & tackling forwards is the modern forwardline prototype. i wished we had have found a way to get walsh and one of the many small forwards in last year's draft, rather than walsh and stocker. especially with stocker seeming so far away from afl.

Nice technical assessment without the negative subjectivity.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
Port had more disposals ,clearances, hitouts,contested and uncontested. More inside 50 , more tackles ,ran more, more 1% , and kicked a winning score.

They beat us in every aspect of the game.

Lets not get away from what really happened yesterday evening.
In nearly every game of the past 17 plus years you can see a positive
We even used to have a positive and negative thread after each game. You see small glimpse of what might be but it never eventuates

We are going to get to mid year Bolton will be spinning his one liners and cliches and this enormous wealth of 1st round draft picks will be mentally shot and some will be thrown out with the garbage .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I didn't see the game, so probably shouldn't make too many comments, but they had 70 I50s FFS.

70 to 53!!!!!!

It's a @#$%&! miracle we didn't lose by 20 goals.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Nice effort over there in a traditional graveyard for us.Been flogged over there many a time so it was nice to give 'em a fright.Played some very good footy at times.Like last week,couldn't sustain the effort.Still reckon we are turning in the right direction even if a little slowly..............We have an excellent backline and the making's of a terrific forward line that i believe is gonna click..................but,i must agree our midfield although very talented has got to do more or Cripps is gonna collapse under the enourmas load he has to carry.PetSet did very well but still needs to get more of the ball Ditto Fisher.Even Dow for that matter.Reckon they all are a bit small actually.Brushed aside so easily at stoppages and that is my main concern.Kennedy,SOJ,even Ed back in there..........would be already making big plays for Coniglio,Taranto,or even Whitfield who would provide that outside polish and class that we are in desperate need of................all in all it was a pretty good effort but like plenty have stated its gotta start with a win against the Swans who clearly are a shadow of there former selves.

Regards Mick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
Wow

Walsh and Dow went OK.

Interesting observation...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:52 am 
Bob Chitty

The Duke wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Port had more disposals ,clearances, hitouts,contested and uncontested. More inside 50 , more tackles ,ran more, more 1% , and kicked a winning score.

They beat us in every aspect of the game.

Lets not get away from what really happened yesterday evening.
In nearly every game of the past 17 plus years you can see a positive
We even used to have a positive and negative thread after each game. You see small glimpse of what might be but it never eventuates

We are going to get to mid year Bolton will be spinning his one liners and cliches and this enormous wealth of 1st round draft picks will be mentally shot and some will be thrown out with the garbage .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I didn't see the game, so probably shouldn't make too many comments, but they had 70 I50s FFS.

70 to 53!!!!!!

Deamons won the I50 count 73 to 48 and lost by 80 points!!!!!

I guess stats can be used to suppport any opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:29 am 
Ken Hunter

The Duke wrote:

70 to 53!!!!!!

70 to 53.
88 to 72.

I'd say it's relatively proportionate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
The Duke wrote:

70 to 53!!!!!!

70 to 53.
88 to 72.

I'd say it's relatively proportionate.

Melbourne had 25 more inside 50's and lost by 80 points. You call that relatively proportionate? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

No, I call it @#$%&! hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

I thought the game was won and lost off the back of the clearance battle, which leads to the territory battle. We had more of the footy in our forward half in the third quarter and were able to build pressure and set up a defensive structure that made it difficult for Port to move the ball.
Through large parts of the game we were unable to gain any territory. Our defence held up well, but we were left with a difficult situation of kicking long down the line because of Port’s zone or needing to play quick and find holes in the zone. A lot of times when we went quick we got the ball forward, but then lost it and Port were able to spread and come back the other way. That happens when you play quickly and don’t have time to set up a defensive structure behind the ball.
We either need to get better at our fast paced transition and capitalise from it more often, or we need to adjust that tempo a bit and get a better structure behind the ball to avoid being hurt on turnover.

I’ve read a lot about lack of effort, defensive mindset, being out coached etc, but I didn’t see it that way. We simply failed to gain control of the contest for long enough. For me that lands with a young midfield and clear loss in the ruck battle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Losing can be a habit.
A few senior players, particularly Murphy butchered the ball at crucial stages under no pressure.
When the game was on the line you could see certain players rush and panic. This behavior is not isolated to just this game.
We need to start winning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
Wow

Walsh and Dow went OK.

And yet Polson gave the ball to Ed to kick his goal and McGovern to kick one of his goals. That's 1 goal and 2 goal assists. That's reasonable output form a small forward.

It's great if they are three of twenty five possessions. It's not that flash if they are part of ten.
Fasolo kicked a goal and people are screaming for his head. Maybe it's the two goal assists that make Polson's game better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

Look at Polson's 3rd , he impact the game, helped change the momentum our way- show me any quarter - or any 10 minutes of any quarter where Fasolo actually impacted the game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

dannyboy wrote:
Look at Polson's 3rd , he impact the game, helped change the momentum our way- show me any quarter - or any 10 minutes of any quarter where Fasolo actually impacted the game.

I don't think he did. I just plucked his name out of the sky. He did manage a goal, though.

Polson playing ten good minutes of footy in one of four quarters should not be being used as an example of how positive things can be. I could just as easily have used Garlett as Fasolo. Or McGovern, who played two excellent minutes in the third to get us back into it. They all were found wanting.

All I am asking for is that they play four quarters instead of two. For that I get all the negative vibes this week. That's OK, I can handle it but those who thing playing 50% of a game is good enough are being too soft. If they lose after they have a red hot go, that's fine. If they lose after they toss in the towel thirty seconds into the last, that isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Fasolo spends most of his time on his arse. Can't keep his feet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I don't think he did. I just plucked his name out of the sky. He did manage a goal, though.

Polson playing ten good minutes of footy in one of four quarters should not be being used as an example of how positive things can be. I could just as easily have used Garlett as Fasolo. Or McGovern, who played two excellent minutes in the third to get us back into it. They all were found wanting.

All I am asking for is that they play four quarters instead of two. For that I get all the negative vibes this week. That's OK, I can handle it but those who thing playing 50% of a game is good enough are being too soft. If they lose after they have a red hot go, that's fine. If they lose after they toss in the towel thirty seconds into the last, that isn't.

I don’t think we tossed in the towel. Port were simply better than us, as were Richmond the week before. The test will come when we’re playing against a team of similar quality and whether we can lift against them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Shows how far this club has fallen we applaud another loss.

Two games in a row we have played just half a game. We used to complain when we played just three quarters.

The bottom six players are still below par.

Bolton surely can't continue to defend the Fasolo recruitment. He's the fittest he's ever been. Yeah right?!

I know the midfield is young but outside of that there's still too many passengers, a lack of discipline, and lapses in concentration.

Weitering and SPS the only positives.

Weitering, I agree with but SPS was shocking.

I'm reading this thread from page 5 to 1.

I mentioned a while ago you have changed and definitely not a glass half full supporter.

To use a line you used in reply to Okhams reasonable post...." what game were you watching?"

Tell us all what SPS did wrong, and where you think he was playing and what role.

He showed class and poise. He didn't get 30 possessions but he was playing as a defensive mid as opposed to an accumulator. Doesn't waste much.

Maybe you should compare players for number of successful connect with their disposals.

Last year and the year before are the past. Gonski. Just as 1995 and 1968 have.

In case you didn't notice umpires did not pay the same to Carlton for incorrect disposal or head high slaps as they did for Port and Richmond for that matter. Makes a difference. Refer to Dogs game in the last quarter when they had the rub of the ump.

Umpires aside. I see a better game plan and improvement in 2019 compared to 2018 and 17.

We came out of the blocks and held the lead till we lost our best running forward with a knee. We didn't adjust and took a while to do so. When we settled we fought back and took the lead. We missed some obvious options to score goals in the last which we expected, but it wasn't the kids that turned over the ball.

Last week at 3/4 time most people thought Carlton were going to run over Tigers, same against Port. We didn't, but we put ourselves in a position to do so. We can fix that and I bet we do and get a few wins from that fix.

Obvious some players need to show more than they did, or be replace by Silvagni Kennedy OBrien.
Those individuals are the reason we failed in the end. Lucky for Fasolo that ball fell in his arms in the last otherwise he would have nothing to show other than an assist in a lucky goal in the 1st. Murphy had a dog of a game, and I haven't been a fan of his for a couple years now, Polson should do more but showed something albeit not enough... and so on.

It's not a coaching thing that failed us imo.

I'm not accepting failure but I can see signs we will hit a winning streak at some stage this season, maybe when Kreuzer Marchbank Silvagni and Curnow are all playing with the best we had on Saturday.

All I can say is that it is a new year and the signs are good...there's something there.
We know we need to lift for 4 quarters, and I know the players know that too.

I don't think they only played 4/8 quarters his year. I think we didn't put pressure on for 2 x 10 minute periods per game. We can bridge that or do you think that's impossible too?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next