Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Navy One wrote:
Nearly had them ...... then Rance going down stopped our momentum :wink:

Called it as soon as it happened... They defended way better as soon as he left. Didn't stop Bruce declaring him "probably the best fullback of all time (ay)".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sorry should have mentioned Walsh as being very good as well

Can't let a good team get 40 points up before you score your first goal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Thought gov worked his way into it. Will be someone to watch

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

robertbb wrote:
Just got home from the game:
Newman can play... will be very handy this year, and should partner up well with Doc when he's back.
C Curnow had an absolute stinker.
Walsh looked a bit out of sorts early but to his credit he worked his way into it and showed some good glimpses. Good size and will be very, very good!
I'm concerned about Paddy Dow ... looked a few steps behind on a number of occasions and kicking let him down (again)
SPS unsighted... needs to run more
Did Garlett even play?
Fisher's a little terrier - brought down Martin a few times which is hard to do
Setterfield will be excellent - he's a good size!
Bit quieter from Cunningham than had hoped

Congratulations to Murph, but I think he's cooked.

Remember: Richmond is a top 4 side, and just picked up Lynch! We had a lot of kids out there and have the makings of a very, very good side... develop them well and anything can happen.

Cunners no 1 ranked player on the ground at HT, excellent in the 2nd qtr.

Harsh on SPS imo too.

Last edited by Navy Blue Horse on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:
Thought gov worked his way into it. Will be someone to watch

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

yep. Setterfield too, looks the goods.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

After 4 years we still have no idea how to get a ball quickly and efficiently into the f50. We have a half decent side, no excuse. That's the elephant in the room right now. That part of our game has not progressed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

When the match committee sit down and select the team, I presume they look at each player and say....'What will he give us?' From that question I presume the committee each make comments about the player.

When you get to Garlett, and they want to play him in the backline..................I wonder who speaks first and I wonder what they say he will bring to the team.

I just wonder. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Carltons biggest problem for many years now, aside from actual lack of talent, is that we simply have very few players who actually B-Line ball in a ferocious, 'Get out my way' manner.

Every Richmond player B-lines the footy as if his life depends on it. They run hard and straight and they mow down whomever is in their way.

How many do we have that play in that fashion? No-where near enough to get the job done.

And after that we then have the old........1, 2, 3 possession, turnover. 1,2,3 possession, turnover. And tonight those 1,2, 3 possessions gained 30 metres sideways. Or when that didn't work we went out of the backline......1, 2. Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold. Kick long to a contest, outnumbered at the fall, turnover.

We are playing one of the best defenses in the game and each time from our HB line, we gave them 30 secs to set up properly, before we tried to hit a pinpoint pass over 30 metres, then turned it over to the swarm of gut running Tigers.

I'm hoping Blue Vain can explain our game plan to me with a crayon drawing because I am at a loss. I do get that if we didn't keep turning the ball over we might actually have some form of game plan so I guess Bolton has an out there, of sorts.

For mine I liked Walsh, Cuningham, McKay (not in the ruck) Setterfield and Fisher.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

Everyone has mentioned players. I am going to mention the game plan.

Yes I was at the game and the number of times there were free players either on the opposite side or in the middle of the ground I lost count of.

Instead the ball was bombed long to a pack in the forward line which is something we have been doing for years with a singular lack of success. This played right into the tiges hands with their manical streaming downfield forward of the ball style of play.

You can forgive the brains trust in the coaches box for not working it out in the 1st quarter but after that ...

I heard BBs press conference and he can go on all he wants about 4 minutes in the 1st quarter and 3 minutes in the last or whatever but look in the mirror BB.

The tiges won due to a superior game plan being implemented more effectively.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Yes I was at the game and the number of times there were free players either on the opposite side or in the middle of the ground I lost count of.

Instead the ball was bombed long to a pack in the forward line which is something we have been doing for years with a singular lack of success. This played right into the tiges hands with their manical streaming downfield forward of the ball style of play.

You can forgive the brains trust in the coaches box for not working it out in the 1st quarter but after that ...

I heard BBs press conference and he can go on all he wants about 4 minutes in the 1st quarter and 3 minutes in the last or whatever but look in the mirror BB.

It was the same shit we were practicing (rather poorly) at training last Saturday , we dont move the ball well at all.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Game plan and forward structure to me were good.

Execution often horrible. I can't remember a game where the ball was kicked out on the full more times...

SPS quiet but finished off well.

Fair bit to like. This year us about learning how to play 4 quarters and execute. Talent is there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:
Couple of good quarters.
Thought we tackled pretty well.
Cripps, Newman and Walsh.
Very encouraged by McGovern, Harry and Cuningham.
Jones and Weiters were pretty good. Murphy too.

Cons:
Couple of rubbish quarters.
Absolute shocker from Charlie. He was putrid. Preseason form come home to roost.
Wish Fisher would stop those stupid dribble kicks.
Looked like great conditions, but so many, costly dropped marks.
Some very soft goals conceded by defenders making poor decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm 
John Nicholls

grrofunger wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

It was the same shit we were practicing (rather poorly) at training last Saturday , we dont move the ball well at all.

No game plan can work if you can't hit targets consistently. Too many time the ball is handballed or kicked to the feet or over the head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Didn't go, watched it on TV. It looked like we played very wide to me.

Cripps would be leading the Brownlow now, & Dow will be a beauty. Lacked a bit of finishing but love his courage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

There is some harsh comments in here so far and I kind of get it. Having said that I conservatively suggest they got 6 goals through a mix of shit umpiring and arse luck. There is the end result. Plenty of positives for mine with Walsh being the standout debutant IMO.

Thats two howlers in a row from C Curnow. He surely gets his shit together and plays to his potential soon. Gov lead up the ground well, but when he had advantage in the fwd line was a victim of horrendus service up field. He wasn't alone in that regard. Mckay I think is on the verge of ripping games apart. Kudos to Daisy, who I thought was influential at key times. Cripps is ffing amazing. Setters showed enough to open my eyes to huge things coming. Fasolo was bits and bobs also suffered from shit service at times Fisher just continues to amaze me. He does alot of hard work, which isn't acknowledged. Newman is a more than handy pickup.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

There were no injuries tonight so this gives us the opportunity to keep the side settled, something we couldn’t do last year.

As for game plan and the like, give this side a chance together to play together for a while. We have had a very large list turnover 4 years in a row, and the churn will slow down now as we are playing a large component of a team which will be around for a while now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

Regardless of what happens with the Jones contact against Riewoldt, I like seeing our players showing more aggression. And if it means we cop a few suspensions, then I can live with that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Mckay and Setterfield back to back misses halfway through the third really hurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:34 pm 
John Nicholls

grrofunger wrote:
The Mckay and Setterfield back to back misses halfway through the third really hurt

Deflating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

..and then Dow's at 68-55 and Charlie's dropped sitter in front at 68-56

oh so close, ifs, buts etc after such a putrid start

good signs i guess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stefchook wrote:
Regardless of what happens with the Jones contact against Riewoldt, I like seeing our players showing more aggression. And if it means we cop a few suspensions, then I can live with that.

Jones was good tonight as well, not getting enough love. It’s much better having Weitering being the one to zone off as he has the smarts that Jones doesn’t have

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next