Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
I feel for Cunningham but he appears to be one of many on our list that struggle to get on the park.
Durability of of list is affecting the whole team and the extent of it clearly shows its a concern when the next best replacement is Polson.

1 game down and the depth is stretched

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately this is part of us having to try and attract top talent to the club (obviously Cunners was drafted), they usually have issues that the other clubs are happy to let them go for cheap. This will change as the other talented kids develop and who knows they might even become less fragile as their bodies develop. Lucky we have AR for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Can’t and don’t regard Curnow and McGovern as talls. Simple arent KP size even if we play them there.

Curnow. More contested marks per game in 2018 than Ben Brown,Tom McDonald, Jarryd Roughead, Josh Jenkins, Rory Lobbe, Josh Kennedy, Taylor Walker, Jess Hogan etc.
That'll do me for a 21 year old KPP.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Just want to see some semblance of link up run and flow from stoppages and turnovers and look as though we’re confident doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:19 am 
Wayne Johnston

bmaurizio wrote:
Phillips, Polson and Gibbons in the same team are worrying.
Let’s hope they have a good game and prove me wrong.

At least they are all fit and will impact the contest. I’m more worried about Fasolo and Garlett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:11 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree BV absolutely Charlie is a kpp and thanks for the stats and for talking sense -and he is going through a bad patch of form -yes frustrating for supporters - but in a better team would not have such scrutiny or responsibility -in my view H McGovern and Charlie after playing half a season or so together will be a formidable -combo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:21 am 
Ken Hunter

I don't doubt he is one of the best contested marks in the AFL and never raised this an issue.
I feel if we had another McKay (true key position size) Curnow would be a better and bigger weapon as a 3rd mobile forward. McGovern is similar to Curnow in size. Hopefully he can take some of the pressure away from Charlie but neither are KP size.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:25 am 
Rod Ashman

frank dardew wrote:
Agree BV absolutely Charlie is a kpp and thanks for the stats and for talking sense -and he is going through a bad patch of form -yes frustrating for supporters - but in a better team would not have such scrutiny or responsibility -in my view H McGovern and Charlie after playing half a season or so together will be a formidable -combo

And to be fair to him it's a bad "patch" of one game so far.
(Unless you take notice of practise matches, which I don't).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 am 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
I don't doubt he is one of the best contested marks in the AFL and never raised this an issue.
I feel if we had another McKay (true key position size) Curnow would be a better and bigger weapon as a 3rd mobile forward. McGovern is similar to Curnow in size. Hopefully he can take some of the pressure away from Charlie but neither are KP size.

so a true KP to you is based on height?

Dunstall was 188cm and Brereton was 186cm

Jack Riewoldt is 193cm as was cousin Nick

Fev was 191cm

all of these players were just good flankers i guess

Charlie is 194cm short FWIW

I think the tall forward situation with Charlie, McGovern and H is fine. The argument is whether all three of them there at all times will work i think.

the small forward situation is another issue all together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 am 
Ken Hunter

round and round we go....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Ed to Rockliff or Gray in the midfield. Plus he can go back with them as well. That will release Garlett to the forward line.
Rockliff had 44 last week. 10 marks, 4 clearances, 8 tackles. Some people say his disposals don't hurt but he provides the crucial conduit between half back and half forward.
They had shitloads of uncontested possessions last week, lots of handball and plenty of marks. Their zone is good as it results in plenty of turnovers. They weren't overly strong at centre clearances but their stoppage work around the ground is good.
Last week they were 18th in the AFL for rebound 50's but 4th for inside 50's so you'd suggest they get plenty of repeat entries and get you to turn it over coming out of defence. I'll be interested to see if last week was an anomaly or if they've changed their pattern of play as last year they were exceptional at rebounding from defence.

Last week they kept Melbourne to 45 inside 50's and only 76 marks. So out of the Demons 210 kicks, just over a third were marked by Demon players. The challenge is there for the players and coaches. Retain possession when they have momentum and get it inside 50 and lock it in when we have momentum.
Scores from forward 50 stoppages have been a huge improvement for us in the JLT and Round 1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

doofdoof wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Fev was 191cm

I think the tall forward situation with Charlie, McGovern and H is fine. The argument is whether all three of them there at all times will work i think.

I have no doubt the three of them can work well together. With Charlie floating up the ground and even into the midfield. Also did you see how fast Harry runs and his agility?
There is an obvious marking advantage if you have three big pack/lead marks in the forward line.
The negative is associated big men being too slow to stop the opposition rebounding out of the 50m once the ball hits the ground.
I’m hoping that the speed and agility particularly of Charlie and H means we won’t be leaking that much once the ball hits the ground.

However, I don’t think that 2 avg ruckmen provides any advantage over one average ruckman. All you get is someone to cover when the other guy needs a rest. And in that case, we are just wasting the spot for a better player. I think Phillips has been good but he is no Gawn or Grundy who are in the top 3 players in their teams, irrespective of position.

So for me, it’s yes Charlie, H & McGovern. And no to a 2nd ruckman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:32 pm 
Wayne Johnston

17th Premiership wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Fev was 191cm

I have no doubt the three of them can work well together. With Charlie floating up the ground and even into the midfield. Also did you see how fast Harry runs and his agility?
There is an obvious marking advantage if you have three big pack/lead marks in the forward line.
The negative is associated big men being too slow to stop the opposition rebounding out of the 50m once the ball hits the ground.
I’m hoping that the speed and agility particularly of Charlie and H means we won’t be leaking that much once the ball hits the ground.

However, I don’t think that 2 avg ruckmen provides any advantage over one average ruckman. All you get is someone to cover when the other guy needs a rest. And in that case, we are just wasting the spot for a better player. I think Phillips has been good but he is no Gawn or Grundy who are in the top 3 players in their teams, irrespective of position.

So for me, it’s yes Charlie, H & McGovern. And no to a 2nd ruckman.

How easy the ball comes out of our 50 is more my concern.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

If we're going to stick with 3 tall forwards they have to get space on their opponents for the clean mark. Just can't afford our opponents too many easy rebounds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm excited to see poulson. when it finally clicks for him, and it's when, not if. he'll create all kinds of havoc up front.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Polson :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Blue4ever wrote:
It seems the coaches want O'Brien to work on his game in the seconds, can't understand having Polson before O'Brien. O'Brien is more versatile and provides another midfield option.

Agree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
If we're going to stick with 3 tall forwards they have to get space on their opponents for the clean mark. Just can't afford our opponents too many easy rebounds.

This.
The situation where the ball carrier has two options to kick it short to instead of just bombing it long where two or more fly at the same time is much better.
Unfortunately, our forward coach seems to think bombing it long and hoping for a spill and a crumb is better than hitting up someone on the lead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:09 pm 
formerly King Kenny

jake_h03 wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Favourite player out for my second favourite.

Polson is your second favourite?
What do you like about him as a player? Genuine question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He gives 100%, no compromises. He isn’t the most talented, but will provide a contest, and I love that in a player.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Asp wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
It seems the coaches want O'Brien to work on his game in the seconds, can't understand having Polson before O'Brien. O'Brien is more versatile and provides another midfield option.

Agree

Polson has pace. Didn't i read somewhere he's our fastest over 60 & 100m?? Where he lacks is an engine; ie he can't sustain that pace for long or do many repeat bursts, like say Eddie can.

imo we desperately need pace.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:58 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Rexy wrote:

This.
The situation where the ball carrier has two options to kick it short to instead of just bombing it long where two or more fly at the same time is much better.
Unfortunately, our forward coach seems to think bombing it long and hoping for a spill and a crumb is better than hitting up someone on the lead.

Last week the forwards spent the first half working out how to work together and obviously a bit to go with that.
There was also a big disconnect between the midfielders and the forwards.
The positive out of last week was all midfielders got a fair bit of the footy and they all have decent skills.
So I reckon what you both want will happen. ...at some point. ...maybe not this week.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next