Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

79Vintage's match report

28/2/19
Carlton v Essendon*
1st Quarter
Carlton 5/4/34 v Essendon* 4/1/25
Carlton won the quarter with good and fast movement of the ball into the 50 metre arc – Walsh had four inside fifties, Murphy two, Setterfield two, along with Curnow one and one to Thomas. Just good to see the boys back themselves in and quickly kicking the ball to a contest. Murphy’s second inside fifty led to a opportunist goal to Dow and Setterfield hit up McGovern for a goal. Gibbons opened our account with two crumber’s goals.
On the down side Essendon* moved the ball well for their four goals, we need to put pressure on their ball carriers. In the actual backline Weitering, Jones, Garlett, Newman won some clean contested ball.
Eight out of ten.
2nd Quarter
Carlton 7/6/48 v Essendon* 4/5/29
A very different quarter to the first quarter, both teams manning up defensively all over the ground, made the quarter look more like an AFL game, which we have come accustomed to, after the free flowing first quarter. In defence Weitering was very strong, with two strong marks, Newman had fast hands and a quick kick out of defence – he looks like being a good addition to our team. Walsh was busy again and the older crew in Murphy and Simpson moved the ball well, also with the younger Petrevski-Seton again looking assured.
In the forward half Weitering passed to McGovern for a major. And Cripps from a ball up took the ball away and put one through the middle, two words applicable – Rolls Royce.
Shutdown pressure kept Essendon* goal less. Newman, as mentioned, down back and Gibbons up forward are much needed older bodies, with good decision making.
Seven and half out of ten.

3rd Quarter
Carlton 12 / 10 / 82 v Essendon* 8 /6 / 54
Early in the third quarter did Essendon* looked disinterested or could only play as well as their opposition would allow them to play?
Our older bodies and the younger bodies seem to be embracing a style of play across the field. Murphy, Thomas and Simpson moved the ball well at times. Walsh, Dow and Setterfield did the same in open space. Is this mix going to see a better season ahead?
4th Quarter
Carlton 15 / 10 / 100 defeated Essendon* 14 / 7 / 91
An old fashioned last quarter. A bit of spirit in the game. Nervous – are we going to win or lose? Go Blues!!! Hang in there!!!
Steadying goals to Cunningham and McKay. Keeping possession to steady the ship. We fall over the line in a game that in the end came close to a real hit out.

Overall .
Any win against the bitter rival is worthy. What can we take into the new Season? We seem to have added some mature bodies in that mid 20’s range with McGovern, Newman and Gibbons. Add Walsh who is beyond his years and Setterfield looks like a ten year player. Cunningham is a goal sneak.
Seven and a half out of ten. A good overall effort. We need to look at the quality of our Inside 50’s – hitting up a tall forward or a small target.
Go Blues!!!

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

:thanks:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Nice to win but have to stop leaking goals with the one over the top out the back.
I think all bar 2 of their goals were that way.
Walsh looks the goods as does Settlefield.
I like the 3 tall 3 small set up it causes 2 or 3 of them to commit to contest and leaves the smalls free.
I hope Curnow is ok
Phillips was good
Jack is clever
Weitering looks better
Murphy Thomas and Simpson not much impact but this is a good thing.
I wonder about Polson.
Newman will play every game
Get Ed back in run with role seems a waste of an engine sitting forward

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:36 pm 
Bob Chitty

AGRO wrote:
If Plowman knew how to kill a contest

Plowman perhaps the only negative on the night. I hope it clicks for him soon, but just seems way off the mark, despite his decent size.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
are you allowed to sing the song for JLT matches...?

Cam you remember the words?

something about when they send us all the champions we keep our end up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Early thoughts

Jack much improved, showed great desperation and improved skill

SPS more determined than I can recall

Newman looks like a quality pick up

Weiters back on track

Jones a certain starter

McKay, hnmmm not sure, hope it's just cobwebs but he drops a heap of marks

Essendon*....... Gee they have a heap of players that are really easy to dislike. Plus the umpires helped them a heap towards the end.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm 
Robert Walls

Thanks for the reports. Any injuries?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

All the hype will be about Walsh (understandably), but the performance of Setterfield had me smiling too. Considering how much footy he’s missed, he exceeded my expectations tonight. If he can stay healthy, he might have an impact sooner than I thought :cool:

And ticks for Weitering, Phillips, Fisher, SPS, Cunners, Dow, Newman (although he looked totally out of gas in the last quarter) and Gibbons.

More good than bad tonight, but still plenty to work on.

Garlett did OK but I don’t like him in defence. I would rather have seen LOB in that role tonight.

Harry needs to take some angry pills; he seemed to lack urgency at times tonight. He’s no guarantee for round 1 - IMO - with TDK playing well in the VFL, Kreuzer to come back into the side and Phillips staking his claim.

I don’t mind Plowman but he’d want to lift to keep his spot when Marchbank is ready to return.

Fingers crossed that Charlie is alright. Calf injuries can be a bitch to shake off.

I’m assuming McGovern was ‘managed’ in the 2nd half and isn’t injured?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 pm 
John James

grrofunger wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Arnhem
Cfc saying charlee is ok
Not sure what that might mean exactly... :sly:

1-2 weeks

RIP :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Best win since the 1995 grand final..

Seriously though positives-
The Blues have also found a ruckman in Phillips. No need to rush back hobbling Kreuzer for Round 1.
Sam Walsh is very good...better than expected. Could be one to remember.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
despite our big 3 - only 7 marks inside 50 tonight (bombers 13)

Small forwards, Cuningham and Gibbons with 6 between them, Cuningham very classy but still disappears for long periods

As long as he can continue this form of kicking 3 goals or more per game during the season too, I really don’t h mind his lapses at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

I liked Setterfield too another pleasant surprise, developed nicely as game went on.
He’ll be a great asset , good footy IQ and beautiful kick very good size.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

bmaurizio wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:

Small forwards, Cuningham and Gibbons with 6 between them, Cuningham very classy but still disappears for long periods

As long as he can continue this form of kicking 3 goals or more per game during the season too, I really don’t h mind his lapses at all.

Cunningham needs continuity, I doubt he has been fit for more than 5 games in a row.

Same with Phillips.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Setterfield's game was very pleasing. If he keeps that up Kennedy might be spending a bit more time in the VFL.

Really happy with Cuningham and Gibbons, small forwards were a big need for us and they may have solved that issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Always good to get a win. And even better when against the scum.
Good score. And we finally got some goals from small forwards.
Enjoyed seeing our midfield control the game.
Great to see new players coming in and making a real difference. Very, very impressed by Newman. Terrific game. Setterfield looks an absolute beauty. Love his size and movement. He finds the ball and uses it beautifully. Good tackler too. As everyone knows, Walsh is an absolute beauty. Gibbons was good. A bit of the Matthew Wright about him. McGovern didn't do a lot, but looks dangerous in front of goals.
Cripps is a star. If he could take more marks up forward, he'd be the best player in the comp.
Cuningham was exciting.
Weitering was very good. Playing with far more aggression.
Phillips showed again why he's the best ruckman on our list.
SPS and Dow look set for good years.
Really liked the game of SOJ. Now that he can contribute in midfield, his versatility will be an asset. Love his tackling pressure.
Liked Garlett's game as well. Showed courage in aerial contests. Obviously much better ball use this week. This experiment is worth persisting with.
I thought Jones and Plowman were good.

Cons:

The final margin. Would have been nice to get a 5 goal win.
Still conceding too many goals over the back. I don't mind our defenders playing in front, but why can't we get an extra back behind the final forward like every other team.
Would like to see more poise from Polson. Had a better 2nd half, but often seems over-anxious.
Not yet convinced by the experiment to make Ed a defensive forward.
Really like Fisher, but thought he was a little off tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What a jet Walsh is.

Impressive 'goal sense' from Cuningham.

Weitering pretty solid in defence.

Gibbons, as BV said, very good at reading it off the packs inside 50.

Some nice passages from Dow.

Cripps...

Phillips did well dropping back to take some intercept marks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Did anyone see that flog Stringer give Garlett an almighty spray after he’d goaled to put the Scum less than a goal down ? It was so poetic justice that he fluffed his next shot to put them in front, we got the ball down the other end and Cunners snapped a goal to give us some breathing space, and Stringer disappeared as a threat from the game after that. Knob of the highest order. Perfect fit for Drug Cheats FC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 pm 
John Nicholls

kingkerna wrote:
Early thoughts

Jack much improved, showed great desperation and improved skill

SPS more determined than I can recall

Newman looks like a quality pick up

Weiters back on track

Jones a certain starter

McKay, hnmmm not sure, hope it's just cobwebs but he drops a heap of marks

Essendon**....... Gee they have a heap of players that are really easy to dislike. Plus the umpires helped them a heap towards the end.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Agree and most definitely yes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:

Small forwards have been disappearing for years......little guy called Rioli used to get about 11 touches per game.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 pm 
John Nicholls

Dominator_7 wrote:
Did anyone see that flog Stringer give Garlett an almighty spray after he’d goaled to put the Scum less than a goal down ? It was so poetic justice that he fluffed his next shot to put them in front, we got the ball down the other end and Cunners snapped a goal to give us some breathing space, and Stringer disappeared as a threat from the game after that. Knob of the highest order. Perfect fit for Drug Cheats FC.

:thumbsup: Total dislike.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next