Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 11:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:09 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 11546
Location: Bondi Beach
kezza wrote:
I went along to the game, great to be back at Optus Oval as I still call it.
We went in without a ruckman and we got smashed out of the middle.
Every time Hawthorn went forward they seemed to goal.
Our forward line was too top heavy and there were no small crumbing forwards to clean up the dropped marks.
Walsh looked terrific, O"Brien played well as did SPS.
Garlett kicked the ball straight to Hawthorn players at least 5 times, hitting them on the chest.
Some players only played half the game, others only a quarter.
I didnt see Murphy get injured so hopefully he is okay.
Jones played well but still turns the ball over too often.
I didnt notice Dow much, I don't think he played every quarter.
Umpiring was pretty ordinary, so nothing new there.
Anyway, it was only a practice match but there is still lots of work to be done.


Princes Park.

Thanks for the report. Lucky bastard

_________________
I hope the 17th Flag is won this decade


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:14 pm 
Offline
formerly BlueRob
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:45 pm
Posts: 2710
Up to 3 quarter time the things that worried me the most were:

    We could not win the contested possession.
    We looked slow.
    Our disposal was terrible.
    Our decision making was horrendous (worst of all).

However, redemption did come in the final quarter.

For me, SPS, Walsh and Jones were the standouts.

_________________
'How I learnt to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb' ... Dr Strangelove (A.K.A Darth Vader ... A.K.A Tricky Micky Super Duper Coach ... A.K.A THE MADHOUSE).


Last edited by BigBlueWave on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 11546
Location: Bondi Beach
Blue Vain wrote:
Lots to work on but a few positives.

Negatives first, Garlett off half back. Embarrassing. Hawthorn kicked 2.2 as a direct result of his errors. Centred the ball twice in defensive 50, which were marked by Hawthorn players. He received a cheer from the crowd in the 4th quarter when a kick finally hit a Carlton player.
O'Meara smashed us in the first half, we're fortunate he only played a half.
Polson? I don't get it. He had a run in the middle. First stoppage Murphy handball to him, he turned around in space and kicked it straight into the back of a player. Turnover, goal. Next centre bounce, he manned up on O'Meara. O'Meara walked off to win the stoppage, kicked it forward. Goal.

Levi and Harry in the ruck. Disappointing. Harry tends to give away free kicks rather than compete.

We were beaten badly at the ground balls. When we had the opportunity to run with the ball, we looked good but it was few and far between. Too often the ball hit the deck off contests and it was Hawthorn winning the possession.

We need to better understand the difference between creating play and creating possessions. When a player is facing our goal and in the clear, he should take responsibility for creating play. Take space and kick to a forward option.Too often that player handballed to someone with their backs to goal and we lost possession. That's creating possessions for the sake of it and doesn't favour the team.

Kick ins? As others have said, nothing different from us. I'm sick of seeing Daisy and Simmo taking the ball for kick ins. Give the @#$%&! kids a go!

Differences?

From memory the forward line started with Harry, Charlie, Governor, Cunners, Ed and Gibbons. Cunners looked lively and his skills are as good as most.
First crumb, Gibbons ran onto it beautifully. He was immediately tackled but he has the ability once he adapts to the pace.
Midfield started with Dow Kennedy, Casboult and Samo from memory. Walsh and Murphy on the wings. Charlie, Polson, Cuningham, Setterfield and Ed also had a run.
O'Brien is still too small. He goes hard but needs 12 months in the VFL IMO. He's too easily pushed off the ball.
Dow on the other hand was tough and aggressive. I liked his effort.
The forward line mixed it up a lot with Charlie, Harry, Kennedy, Cunningham, Jack and others playing as the deepest forward.

Positives? Setterfield got through and he moves well. Samo looked good. Clean and used the ball well. Too often he took the short option again but he was a strong presence although he could have spent more time in the middle IMO.
Hopefully Murphy is OK as it was great to see him out there without tape on his body.
Newman looks the goods and Walsh was exceptional.
There's plenty work on but the talent is there. The pressure is now on Bolts and co to perform as well.


Nice to read the nuances you find.

Plenty to work on.
Talent is there.
Like :thumbsup: Lucky bastard.

_________________
I hope the 17th Flag is won this decade


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 pm 
Online
Harry Vallence

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:42 pm
Posts: 1763
Location: Princess Park
Lack of a proper ruckman realy hurt us, we got smashed around the clearances. Hope one of Kruezer, Phillips or Lobbe are available very soon. Our mids struggled to get their hands on the ball from the stoppages and as a result we were on the back foot.

Casboult and Harry really struggled in the ruck but Harry was a good focal up forward. Walsh was impressive, surprised to see Jones and Plowman playing.

We struggled to get any real flow of ball movement and we still often kick long to forwards rather than try finding a target. Or at least kick to the advantage of the forward.

Plowman twice should have marked the ball instead he tried marking on the chest allowing the ball to be punched.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 11546
Location: Bondi Beach
Rexy wrote:
Beautiful afternoon at the old ground. Well done to the club for free entry, cheap car parking, plenty of food and drink. Fan friendly.

Walsh the real deal.

SPS busy. Still too many dinky nothing kicks.

Jones typical good and bad.

Harry and Charlie look dangerous.

Good to see Gov and Setters having a run.

Cuningham typically few good things then disappear.

Weiters looks fit and more mobile.

Jack busy and played with purpose

Newman handy.

LOB busy.

Overall, Hawks more tidy than us and more switched on.


Sammo connects though. He gets it too. So its still ours. Unlike some.

LOB busy, is that good busy.
What do you think about his body mass?
Games in the AFL for experience or a year in the VFL whilst he builds his phyique?
Thanks for the report. Lucky bastard. :thumbsup:

_________________
I hope the 17th Flag is won this decade


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:22 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 11546
Location: Bondi Beach
Blue4ever wrote:
Lack of a proper ruckman realy hurt us, we got smashed around the clearances. Hope one of Kruezer, Phillips or Lobbe are available very soon. Our mids struggled to get their hands on the ball from the stoppages and as a result we were on the back foot.

Casboult and Harry really struggled in the ruck but Harry was a good focal up forward. Walsh was impressive, surprised to see Jones and Plowman playing.

We struggled to get any real flow of ball movement and we still often kick long to forwards rather than try finding a target. Or at least kick to the advantage of the forward.

Plowman twice should have marked the ball instead he tried marking on the chest allowing the ball to be punched.


I don't like throwing Harry into the 1st ruck position. It robs us of his weapons up forward.
Things didn't go our way a lot, and Harry was also rucking and he still kicked 2 goals.
He should be kicking 5 goals a game. He's got it. We've got to get it to him quickly, if there's no others to hit up.

_________________
I hope the 17th Flag is won this decade


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:48 pm 
Online
Stephen Silvagni
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 29062
Location: COMFORTABLY DISSATISFIED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv9LcrHY_p0

_________________
WADA medical director Dr Alan Vernec describes Essendon* FC drug case as biggest scandal in team sport the world of sport has seen. #WC2WB

#GUILTY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 8:30 pm
Posts: 21344
Appreciate all the write ups.

:thanks:

_________________
'not. f#*ing. blue. enough!'
Steve Jobs, screaming into his car phone, pre imac launch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 2314
Thanks to all for the reports.

Very glad to hear about SPS. A centre square of Kreuzer, Cripps, SPS, Fisher/Kennedy/Setterfield/Curnow/Murph/Dow/Walsh all rotating will be good when firing.

Also glad Setterfield got a run through. Hopefully starts hitting his straps mid year.

Disappointed by Kennedy. Will wait to see how he performs with an actual ruckman though.

Still plenty of work to do. Sounds like plenty to work with though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:58 pm 
Offline
Geoff Southby
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:27 pm
Posts: 5062
Nice to read.

Thanks to the contributors.

Walsh at 2m20sec :clap:

_________________
The problem will be made. for the solution to be sold, to your face before your eyes, tolerance is now the new danger


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:59 am
Posts: 1678
Also on the Blueseum

http://www.blueseum.org/article234-Carl ... rn-21-2-19

Football Match Reports
21/2/19 Ikon Park
Carlton 8.5.53 def. by Hawthorn 12.5.77
As a team Carlton put in a respectable effort in the second and fourth quarters, kicking four goals in each of these quarters. On the other hand Hawthorn kicked five and four goals respectively in the first and third quarters. In this time Hawthorn looked the superior side, working the ball well from the clinches and running the ball on the outside, to a forward line which was clinical in front of goal.
So what do we have to look forward to? We looked much more willing to kick the ball long to a contest, especially getting the ball quickly into the forward line, making for a marking contest in our forward line. And at times the boys looked well drilled, when running the ball in open space. We looked willing to play on instinct and selecting an option, which didn’t always work, but we didn’t look scared to back our skill levels, like so often occurred last year.
Our stand out player was Petrevski-Seton, who put in a four quarter effort. He won the ball inside, ran the ball outside; and in both aspects of the game he was clinical with his disposal. Setting up our first goal for Ed Curnow through a pass to Mckay. And winning a hard fought handball when working back in defence.
Sam Walsh played on a wing, apart from some first quarter nerves, he was super impressive and lauded by the small crowd. He won the ball in open play and selected good options. He is a genuine ball mover, his most impressive moment was where he took on three Hawthorn players for an open ball and through his chase and tenacity; the Hawthorn opposition carried the ball over the boundary line. As the number one pick, Carlton fans are excited but he genuinely looks like a footballer that can run both offensively and defensively.
Levi Casboult rucked for most of the game. He attacked the ruck contest with vigour, his bigger body, he used effectively against the taller Hawthorn ruckman and while many don’t see him with forward line opportunity, his manful efforts in the ruck would not go unnoticed by the coaching panel.
Wil Setterfield played the second half, coming off a knee reconstruction, to my eyes he was super impressive, winning ball inside, he was capable to judge whether to offload by hand or run with the ball and dispose by foot. He is also quite a good tackler, who like Petrevski-Seton and Walsh, will have their respective games enhanced in the future playing alongside Cripps.
Jack Silvagni showed signs that now with his mature body, he can play midfield and half-forward. Still with his doubters, today he showed some grit and willingness to take the game on and back himself, that he has the flair and skill, to emulate his father’s burst of speed gathering the contested ball from defence. I wouldn’t make this comparison without the belief that Jack looks like maturing this year. Keep watch.
Our tall targets up forward, McGovern in the first half, Mackay and Curnow showed glimpses, but as with forward play the marking targets are only as good as the delivery they receive. Charlie Curnow got enough of the ball, but looked a little rusty by foot. An excitement machine that needs to be decisive with his disposal and shots for goal.
Down back, Jones was flying high but his disposal can be brought into question. Weitering is noticeably bigger, contests well and he is learning to dispose of the ball whilst under pressure. Our backline needs to learn to function mechanically under pressure, which could say to be our greatest deficiency across the ground. Work hard inside and dispose of the ball to outside runners, always moving the ball while executing skillfully by foot and hand.
Looking at our game plan, we can make a contest inside but we need to compliment this aspect of the game with moving the ball on the outside, with speed but also at times moving the ball slowly with marking options up the ground; this is where Hawthorn showed us up in quarters one and three. The difference between a good side and a side still with players learning to use the ball wisely.
Overall a decent performance against superior opposition, but through the four goal defeat learning to analyse the opposition’s skill level, to know where we need to improve as a team. And at times we looked like a capable team, solo efforts by young players, whilst learning to link and have confidence in their team mates.
7 out of 10 today for effort and execution.
Go Blues!!!

_________________
Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!


Last edited by 79Vintage on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:31 pm 
Offline
John Nicholls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 9603
Location: Beijing
79Vintage wrote:
Football Match Reports
21/2/19 Ikon Park
Carlton 8.5.53 def. by Hawthorn 12.5.77
As a team Carlton put in a respectable effort in the second and fourth quarters, kicking four goals in each of these quarters. On the other hand Hawthorn kicked five and four goals respectively in the first and third quarters. In this time Hawthorn looked the superior side, working the ball well from the clinches and running the ball on the outside, to a forward line which was clinical in front of goal.
So what do we have to look forward to? We looked much more willing to kick the ball long to a contest, especially getting the ball quickly into the forward line, making for a marking contest in our forward line. And at times the boys looked well drilled, when running the ball in open space. We looked willing to play on instinct and selecting an option, which didn’t always work, but we didn’t look scared to back our skill levels, like so often occurred last year.
Our stand out player was Petrevski-Seton, who put in a four quarter effort. He won the ball inside, ran the ball outside; and in both aspects of the game he was clinical with his disposal. Setting up our first goal for Ed Curnow through a pass to Mckay. And winning a hard fought handball when working back in defence.
Sam Walsh played on a wing, apart from some first quarter nerves, he was super impressive and lauded by the small crowd. He won the ball in open play and selected good options. He is a genuine ball mover, his most impressive moment was where he took on three Hawthorn players for an open ball and through his chase and tenacity; the Hawthorn opposition carried the ball over the boundary line. As the number one pick, Carlton fans are excited but he genuinely looks like a footballer that can run both offensively and defensively.
Levi Casboult rucked for most of the game. He attacked the ruck contest with vigour, his bigger body, he used effectively against the taller Hawthorn ruckman and while many don’t see him with forward line opportunity, his manful efforts in the ruck would not go unnoticed by the coaching panel.
Wil Setterfield played the second half, coming off a knee reconstruction, to my eyes he was super impressive, winning ball inside, he was capable to judge whether to offload by hand or run with the ball and dispose by foot. He is also quite a good tackler, who like Petrevski-Seton and Walsh, will have their respective games enhanced in the future playing alongside Cripps.
Jack Silvagni showed signs that now with his mature body, he can play midfield and half-forward. Still with his doubters, today he showed some grit and willingness to take the game on and back himself, that he has the flair and skill, to emulate his father’s burst of speed gathering the contested ball from defence. I wouldn’t make this comparison without the belief that Jack looks like maturing this year. Keep watch.
Our tall targets up forward, McGovern in the first half, Mackay and Curnow showed glimpses, but as with forward play the marking targets are only as good as the delivery they receive. Charlie Curnow got enough of the ball, but looked a little rusty by foot. An excitement machine that needs to be decisive with his disposal and shots for goal.
Down back, Jones was flying high but his disposal can be brought into question. Weitering is noticeably bigger, contests well and he is learning to dispose of the ball whilst under pressure. Our backline needs to learn to function mechanically under pressure, which could say to be our greatest deficiency across the ground. Work hard inside and dispose of the ball to outside runners, always moving the ball while executing skillfully by foot and hand.
Looking at our game plan, we can make a contest inside but we need to compliment this aspect of the game with moving the ball on the outside, with speed but also at times moving the ball slowly with marking options up the ground; this is where Hawthorn showed us up in quarters one and three. The difference between a good side and a side still with players learning to use the ball wisely.
Overall a decent performance against superior opposition, but through the four goal defeat learning to analyse the opposition’s skill level, to know where we need to improve as a team. And at times we looked like a capable team, solo efforts by young players, whilst learning to link and have confidence in their team mates.
7 out of 10 today for effort and execution.
Go Blues!!!


:thanks:

_________________
"our electorate seeks less to be informed and more to be validated." Sad times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:48 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:56 am
Posts: 17130
Location: Progreso, Yucatan, MEXICO
Thanks to all those who posted match reports.
It's only a praccy game and neither side would have been revealing any secrets. Basically a dusting off of the cobwebs.
Most players' skill levels are down early in the year. Expect an improvement when training drills concentrate more on skills than endurance. It's a long year.
Looking forward to some televised games.
EDIT
P.S.
That Jack sling tackle was a joke. I hope that's not what we can expect from the umpiring department this season. On the other hand, his recovery and subsequent goal was a gem.
Jones figured a few times in that short clip as did Newman.

_________________
Let slip the Blues of war (with apologies to William Shakespeare) (and Sir Francis Bacon, just in case)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:28 am 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 4705
Newman will be very handy.

Get on Walsh for the rising star now.

_________________
Orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpore sano. Fortem posce animum mortis terrore carentem, qui spatium vitae extremum inter munera ponat naturae, qui ferre queat quoscumque labores.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:34 am 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 20986
Location: Kaloyasena
robertbb wrote:

Get on Walsh for the rising star now.




The Essendon* Mutual Masturbation Society will be working vigorously, very very vigorously to get Irving Mosquito over the line.

_________________
I BELIEVE we need to invest in more concrete and spend less on wallpaper


"Hence you will not say that Greeks fight like heroes but that heroes fight like Greeks"?

Winston Churchill



Too much Sugar and too much Bleach is very very boring.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 am 
Offline
Bob Chitty

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:43 pm
Posts: 839
Haven't seen any mention of how Murphy played.

How did he go?

_________________
Cripps is the man


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:00 am 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:56 am
Posts: 17130
Location: Progreso, Yucatan, MEXICO
AGRO wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Get on Walsh for the rising star now.




The Essendon** Mutual Masturbation Society will be working vigorously, very very vigorously to get Irving Mosquito over the line.

Mozzie, Mozzie, Mozzie.
OI oi oi.
Essendon* Cheer squad. Lock it in.

_________________
Let slip the Blues of war (with apologies to William Shakespeare) (and Sir Francis Bacon, just in case)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 4033
Location: Melbourne
robertbb wrote:
Newman will be very handy.

Get on Walsh for the rising star now.


Not worth it at $4.50. Would have to be one of the shortest favourites ever this early in the season. I’d rather Setterfield at $13. Once he gets his fitness up I reckon he’ll have a big impact.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________
:lol: :-D :) :? :( :x :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:03 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 20986
Location: Kaloyasena
No I really think this will be the year of a Key Position Player for the Rising Star - everybody knows that it’s much harder to play Key Position as a young player.


Especially when Carlton has a gun junior mid-fielder.

:roll:

_________________
I BELIEVE we need to invest in more concrete and spend less on wallpaper


"Hence you will not say that Greeks fight like heroes but that heroes fight like Greeks"?

Winston Churchill



Too much Sugar and too much Bleach is very very boring.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 11546
Location: Bondi Beach
AGRO wrote:
No I really think this will be the year of a Key Position Player for the Rising Star - everybody knows that it’s much harder to play Key Position as a young player.


Especially when Carlton has a gun junior mid-fielder.

:roll:


The old Cripps vs Hogan debate. What a huge mistake that was.
Like you AGRO, I don't think it was a mistake: pure sabotage of the Award.
Just about every non Demons fan I ask says Cripps was robbed.
When was the last time you saw a replay of the Krakouer mark on replay.
We all see a replay of walkers mark a few times a year when the greatest marks of all time are highlighted.

Ditto mark of the year Walker vs Krakouer where the whole world sees the 2 and selects Walker without blinking, yet Bartlett wanted to create controversy to get fans calling him on SEN.

Don't get me started with Diesel and the '93 Brownlow and the 2000 robbery of Kouta.

Bluebaggers will have their day in the sun.

_________________
I hope the 17th Flag is won this decade


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blue4ever, Go Simmo, Hexar, LostInSyd, Mickstar, Sticks1977 and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group