Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 11:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:01 pm 
Offline
Serge Silvagni

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 921
With regards to the ruck issue, surely the coach wanted to keep secret our centre square plans. With the new rules stipulating teams need six players in each of the key areas on the ground at centre bounces there's a huge possibility of scoring quick goals if you can get it out of the centre quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 2:15 pm
Posts: 14364
Location: North of the border
Paddycripps wrote:
With regards to the ruck issue, surely the coach wanted to keep secret our centre square plans. With the new rules stipulating teams need six players in each of the key areas on the ground at centre bounces there's a huge possibility of scoring quick goals if you can get it out of the centre quickly.
Oh yeah

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:18 pm
Posts: 2503
Location: Singapore
Paddycripps wrote:
With regards to the ruck issue, surely the coach wanted to keep secret our centre square plans. With the new rules stipulating teams need six players in each of the key areas on the ground at centre bounces there's a huge possibility of scoring quick goals if you can get it out of the centre quickly.


My bet is that the coach will keep it a secret until the finals so we can have an edge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:02 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1212
In my view we have two big outstanding issues:
1) A good ruckman
2) Develop the attacking side to our game plan without giving up our defensive structures/pressure.

Last year, we did well in the pre-season when the defensive pressure is less and we were allowed to play the new attacking style without too many obstacles. But once the real season began, our attacking game couldn’t withstanding other teams defensive pressure; our skills were not up to scratch and our own defensive structures fell away. Maybe, it was too soon to switch up our attacking plan and we felt pressured to do so by the media?

Anyway, I am encouraged that at times we looked fluid in attack and certainly having 3 good key talks up forward will help (but not if we just bomb the ball in).
The real test will come when the pressure rises from round 1.

Oh, and I think we are still way off with our ruck problem.
Hopefully TDK comes good or we find a good ruckman to trade in at the end of the year b/c frankly I don’t feel like Lobbe or Phillips are the answer - even their best is nowhere near it. Kruezer’s best is great but I doubt we’ll see that consistently and certainly not beyond the next year or two.

On the positive side, I feel like we have the midfield talent and depth now (albeit young); Harry looks like he could be the man, to lead our forward line with Gov and Charlie floating in; and I’m confident we have a solid backline when fit.
And we’ll jnow for sure this season whether Bolton is the man or not (I hope he is b/c I think he is doing a great job off the field and if he can make progress on the field, we’ll be on our way to 17).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:14 pm 
Offline
John Nicholls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 9603
Location: Beijing
17th Premiership wrote:
In my view we have two big outstanding issues:
1) A good ruckman
2) Develop the attacking side to our game plan without giving up our defensive structures/pressure.

Last year, we did well in the pre-season when the defensive pressure is less and we were allowed to play the new attacking style without too many obstacles. But once the real season began, our attacking game couldn’t withstanding other teams defensive pressure; our skills were not up to scratch and our own defensive structures fell away. Maybe, it was too soon to switch up our attacking plan and we felt pressured to do so by the media?

Anyway, I am encouraged that at times we looked fluid in attack and certainly having 3 good key talks up forward will help (but not if we just bomb the ball in).
The real test will come when the pressure rises from round 1.

Oh, and I think we are still way off with our ruck problem.
Hopefully TDK comes good or we find a good ruckman to trade in at the end of the year b/c frankly I don’t feel like Lobbe or Phillips are the answer - even their best is nowhere near it. Kruezer’s best is great but I doubt we’ll see that consistently and certainly not beyond the next year or two.

On the positive side, I feel like we have the midfield talent and depth now (albeit young); Harry looks like he could be the man, to lead our forward line with Gov and Charlie floating in; and I’m confident we have a solid backline when fit.
And we’ll know for sure this season whether Bolton is the man or not (I hope he is b/c I think he is doing a great job off the field and if he can make progress on the field, we’ll be on our way to 17).


Highlighted sentence is the big one.

_________________
"our electorate seeks less to be informed and more to be validated." Sad times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 am 
Offline
Craig Bradley

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:36 am
Posts: 6169
sinbagger wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
With regards to the ruck issue, surely the coach wanted to keep secret our centre square plans. With the new rules stipulating teams need six players in each of the key areas on the ground at centre bounces there's a huge possibility of scoring quick goals if you can get it out of the centre quickly.


My bet is that the coach will keep it a secret until the finals so we can have an edge.


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline
Geoff Southby

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:38 pm
Posts: 5155
TDK looked ok last Thursday but is still very raw
He reminds me a bit of that Grundy when he started

Obviously hasn’t got the physique to go with McEvoy and Ceglar but looked lively around the packs
Long term project in my view and sensible that they played casboult and then give him a run in the second half

Lobbe and Phillips are ok as a back up for Kreuz at this stage but don’t give you much other than the tap out
Where both seem to be a problem is that they always are injured


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:49 am
Posts: 1019
Reckon Philips can Ruck, is a decent Mark and kick cab work as tall forward.
Problem is he can't stay on the park, will be ok interim, whilst we get Matthew ready.
Agree position needs urgent attention.

_________________
Go Blue Boys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:31 pm 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 11546
Location: Bondi Beach
bmaurizio wrote:
Reckon Philips can Ruck, is a decent Mark and kick cab work as tall forward.
Problem is he can't stay on the park, will be ok interim, whilst we get Matthew ready.
Agree position needs urgent attention.


Well put bm.

Kreuzer is our No 1 but he's not ready.
Philips is handy if he can get on the park: good kick good mark.
Imo bettr kick and mark than Kreuzer.

Kreuzers bullocking like a ruck rover is unique.

_________________
I hope the 17th Flag is won this decade


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Kahuna Boot, BlueJean, cheezey, keogh, WA Blue and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group