Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 injury tracker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:54 am 
Bruce Doull

A straight answer would be a refreshing change.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am 
Bruce Doull

Bit homophobic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 am 
Geoff Southby

How much more confident do you feel in the clubs rehab department when AR delivers the injury report.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
How much more confident do you feel in the clubs rehab department when AR delivers the injury report.

Much.

Refreshing.

I feel I know what is expected of them and what they have to do to get a look in.

Post subject: 2019 injury tracker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:29 pm 
Robert Walls

Sidefx wrote:

While I’m still not confident about what was said about Macreadie, Marchbank and Williamson, much better to hear they won’t return without doing a training block for fitness first, which I take as we won’t be rushing these guys back. We want confidence they are not only over their injury but we are making sure when they take the field they will be less likely to breakdown again.

Great news on the others. Really just leaves Doc and Pickett as long term outs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:47 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is there a reason our players seem to have back injuries?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:57 am 
John Nicholls

They've lacked spine for years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 pm 
Robert Walls

Stone Free wrote:
Is there a reason our players seem to have back injuries?

A poor medical staff including the fitness staff leading to injury mismanagement and then turning injuries into chronic injuries.

Lang, Kruezer, Williamson, Macreadie and Marchbank.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

Is it just me or has this been a very bad off season across the entire comp for injuries?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:28 pm 
John James

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019- ... ry-march-6

Looks as though Marchbank and Macreadie are back in training. Great to see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

report in ararat times that Williamson may resume full training next week having battled ongoing back issues:

"Russell said Williamson is "progressing really well" and should be available for selection early in the season.
“He certainly won’t be available for round one, but sometime early in the year we expect him to be out there,” he said.
Williamson said rumours about any "gut problems" are unfounded and have not had an impact on his pre-season.
"I have just been battling with my back, nothing else has stopped me playing footy other than that," he said.
The former Rat said he is hopeful of jumping back into full training next week, with the possibility of a return to the AFL early in the season.
"I'm really hoping I can be up and going for selection in that round two, three or four block," he said.
"If all goes to plan get I'll get a practice match in and maybe an early game in the VFL."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Is it just me or has this been a very bad off season across the entire comp for injuries?
Currently 150 plus players registered as injured and we haven't played a game yet.
They are either soft or they are pushed to hard.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 pm 
Ken Hands

Do you seriously believe that players are on injury lists because they’re soft? It is a @#$%&! brutal game, combining athleticism, stamina and collisions like no other game in the world. Calling any AFL player soft from behind a keyboard is, well, soft.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ferdinand wrote:
Do you seriously believe that players are on injury lists because they’re soft? It is a @#$%&! brutal game, combining athleticism, stamina and collisions like no other game in the world. Calling any AFL player soft from behind a keyboard is, well, soft.
Compared to what they used to be. They are soft

And I wouldn't hesitate saying it to them.

Brutal game give me a break it has been sanitised that much over the years its like soccer or basketball.

Now NRL that is brutal

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:45 am 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
Compared to what they used to be. They are soft

And I wouldn't hesitate saying it to them.

That would be a sight to behold :thumbsup:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:09 am 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

Now NRL that is brutal

I do agree that the mongrel/thuggery has been slowly eroded from AFL, for the better in most cases. Personally having played both codes (not at an elite level either), NRL looks more brutal but I got injured twice as much and much worse playing AFL, like broken ribs, snapped collar bone and multiple ankle and knee injuries. And in Rugby I got a few shiners and mainly soft tissue and minor ankle injuries.
I think it was mainly due to the fact you could always see and prepare yourself for the big hits as well as the impacts being at slower speeds than AFL.

As far as "preseason" injuries go, you'll find as the athletes in both codes push their body development, strength, power and speed more and more, something usually has to give. Especially with some of these kids that get injured in underage leagues and they either don't rehab properly or don't have the right support to strengthen and support those injuries.

Personally, I think it's a bit hard to compare either codes or generational players. The old boys were footballers and the new boys are athletes and one code is about tackling and the other is about avoiding tackling.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-08/ ... ed-backman

Blues prepared to be patient with hobbled backman
Riley Beveridge
Mar 8, 2019 7:12AM
Tom Williamson didn't play senior footy after appearing in AFLX last year - AFL,Carlton Blues,Tom Williamson
Tom Williamson didn't play senior footy after appearing in AFLX last year

He's headed in the right direction, but there's no quick fix at the moment. He's just got to work through that

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton on Tom Williamson
Related

Blues won't rush landmark live trade pick for 2019 debut

CARLTON is prepared to bide its time with young defender Tom Williamson, who is still being managed through a gruelling recovery from a debilitating back injury.

Williamson, 20, has been kept off the park for the best part of 18 months because of the troublesome injury, stalling a promising start to his career at Ikon Park.

KREUZER NO LONGER NO.1 Big Blue in three-way ruck race

The 61st selection in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, Williamson defied expectations in his maiden season with the club to play 15 senior games the following year and become a mainstay across Carlton's half-back line.

However, he has hardly been seen on the field since, with his current pre-season constantly halted across the summer due to Carlton's close monitoring of his training loads.

FULL INJURY LIST Who's racing the clock for round one?

Williamson played AFLX in February last year, but managed just two VFL matches for the remainder of the campaign. He was prematurely withdrawn from the second of those games when his back spasmed after landing awkwardly in a marking contest.

His season was officially over shortly after, when scans showed a hot spot on his back.

Bolton on the Blue who has got him excited and who is on 'skinfold watch'

More than nine months later, the booming left-foot kick is yet to resume full training and has already been ruled out of the first part of Carlton's upcoming campaign.

However, the Blues are confident Williamson will eventually return, and have backed the talented youngster to overcome his latest series of frustrating setbacks.

"It's been really challenging," Carlton coach Brendon Bolton told AFL.com.au this week.
Tom
Williamson
Disposals
Below Avg
Games Played
Bounces
Above Avg
AFL Premiership Career statistics
Discover more in AFL StatsPro
Check out more of Tom Williamson's stats in StatsPro!

"For young kids to learn about their body, they're flat-out all the time, but they've got to learn what works for them and what doesn't.

"That's been a work in progress for him over the last few years. But I think now, on the back of a year or so of that, he's starting to understand his body.

"Some players can do that a lot quicker than others. It's taken some time for 'Willo', and that's just the development of a young player."

Williamson's back issues first started in his debut season, when he missed four weeks midway through the year following a collision during a game against Gold Coast.

The Blues said at the time that the athletic 190cm defender suffered "a lot of bruising" as a result of the incident, though he returned to play the final five games of the year.

He continued an impressive start to his Carlton career, which resulted in a two-year contract extension that ensured he would remain with the Blues until the end of 2020.

The club is hopeful he will now resume that exciting career at some point this season.

"I think everyone and most of our members saw that from him in his first year, where he played so much footy," Bolton said.

"I think he was a pick in the 60s and he came on really quickly for us. Then he's just had this nagging back injury that virtually wiped out his last year.

"It's about building now. He's headed in the right direction, but there's no quick fix at the moment. He's just got to work through that.

"In time it will steady, but we think we've got a really strong half-back flanker on our hands.

"We – and he – needs to work at a rate that builds him steadily, versus trying to get him to AFL standard really quickly and go backwards again."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 pm 
Robert Walls

Glad it's not the rumours of crohn's disease but there still wasn't any real time line there for recovery and when he will resume full training or play some VFL. Very vague. Was such a promising prospect and looked to be a steal at pick 61. Exactly what we need off HB too, with Simmo so close to the end. Hopefully we see him in the seniors around the bye.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

Russell's injury update

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:

Yep, I still enjoy listening to AR's injury report and I feel like I'm being told the truth about players injury and rehabilitation progress. I think this will be my new weekly interest to see how we are faring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next