Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Add Fasolo as well
And don’t give us that crap he cost nothing
His career at AFL level is finished

SOS has recruited some young guns but posters are entitled
to express their views on the recruitment of some very
ordinary players from other AFL clubs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Add Fasolo as well

I'm going to chime in here, for what it's worth. Rookie Picks, Mature age recruits that cost nothing and very late draft picks are a supplementary and a bonus. If you pick up a mature age player for basically nothing you're obviously taking a chance because if you thought they were actually going to contribute to your best 22 in 3 - 4 years time they would have a market value and not find themselves either delisted or on the verge of it and therefore you'd need to trade for them with picks or players.

Since SOS we have been using all our currency, whether it be picks or players who still have value to trade into the draft and get as many first round picks as we can, we have also turned over and delisted several players. Because of the high player turn over and our desire to get high picks we have had to add players to our list that don't cost anything, basically to fill in the gaps. That's why Mature recruits with zero currency have been a go to for us not only for their experience and big bodies around the club but to fill up our list, we're not recruiting these players to be in our best 22 in 3-4 years time we're recruiting them out of necessity, of course it would be amazing if they turned out however we know the chances of that are very very slim.

Post subject: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:45 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
You also have to accept that every year at least one of the other 17 clubs will draft someone very late who will be good. It's great though if you want to criticise our list management because you're guaranteed to have something to moan about.

SOS’s late draft & rookie picks have been atrocious (since he took over) so we’ve every right to put those picks under the blow torch.

Agree on the rookies and you can add mature recruits. Too many fails.

Don’t agree on the late picks though (any third round onwards)

2015: JSOS
2016: Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr
2017: Schumacher, Garlett

Thinks that’s a reasonable amount of talent at those picks from what we’ve seen of them so far. Two there with potential to be very good players. One will be a solid journeyman at worst, two with at least ability to play senior games at some stage and possibly get picked off by other clubs for lack of opportunity (created by good drafting). One as a whipping boy so at least provides this site with a lot of discussion! Garlett a bust in my opinion.

Our rookie drafts are puke. Absolute puke. ASOS was ok. That’s it though.

Then you’ve got Palmer, O’Shea, Mullet etc. not great. But considering how well I think we’ve drafted it’s not a huge loss. But we’d be stupid not to address that it’s a talent identification problem we have that can be rectified as our picks at the top end diminish (hopefully!).

The challenge now is to fill the gaps for small forwards, a quality second ruck at the right age, another quality mid.

It’s what Hawthorn and the Tigers have done better than most over the last decade. Identify the list gap, find the best fit in the league who will give you a consistent 22 games effort in the right age bracket. Eg. Nankervis/McEvoy
Prestia/Mitchell
Find them. Get them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

Watching Shiel play on Thursday ... I wouldn't trade Walsh for him, let alone Walsh and a pick.
We did the right thing with that one, (if in fact we had a choice in the end).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think there should be a saying down at Carlton 'Better the C grader you know....'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Add Fasolo as well

C'mon Keogh. We just won our first game in 9 months, kicked kicked 100 points for the first time in about 3 years and your contribution is to sook and whinge about our late picks.
Stop sucking on lemons and enjoy the improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 am 
Geoff Southby

Hey I posted I was wrapped
Didn’t you read that bit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:34 am 
Ken Hunter

TheBluesMuse wrote:
keogh wrote:
Add Fasolo as well

I'm going to chime in here, for what it's worth. Rookie Picks, Mature age recruits that cost nothing and very late draft picks are a supplementary and a bonus. If you pick up a mature age player for basically nothing you're obviously taking a chance because if you thought they were actually going to contribute to your best 22 in 3 - 4 years time they would have a market value and not find themselves either delisted or on the verge of it and therefore you'd need to trade for them with picks or players.

Since SOS we have been using all our currency, whether it be picks or players who still have value to trade into the draft and get as many first round picks as we can, we have also turned over and delisted several players. Because of the high player turn over and our desire to get high picks we have had to add players to our list that don't cost anything, basically to fill in the gaps. That's why Mature recruits with zero currency have been a go to for us not only for their experience and big bodies around the club but to fill up our list, we're not recruiting these players to be in our best 22 in 3-4 years time we're recruiting them out of necessity, of course it would be amazing if they turned out however we know the chances of that are very very slim.

This is a good post!! Unfortunately, we have selected badly with the mature age trades. It looks like Fasolo is also going to be a wasted pick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 am 
Rod Ashman

It wasn't a pick, he was a free agent and it's way too early to write him off
Agree with TheBluesMuse...some of those mature age recruits were list fillers with bigger bodies. I think SOS said as much in one of his interviews this year
Also, I am sure we'd love better quality mature age players but given where we have been since 2015 most of the decent ones have gone elsewere

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 am 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Hey I posted I was wrapped
Didn’t you read that bit

take much energy? have you recovered from that post?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:33 am 
Bruce Doull

I like to think that from this year onwards there will be no further need for "senior support", unless of course it's a gun player we get for way-unders.

It's time for this group to take their destiny in their own hands.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:
keogh wrote:
Add Fasolo as well

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigKev wrote:
Watching Shiel play on Thursday ... I wouldn't trade Walsh for him, let alone Walsh and a pick.

I Don't think we were ever giving up Walsh for him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:50 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I’ve been meditating recently and like a flash of light inspiration hit me squarely between the eyes.

I have formulated a strategy that will not only ensure us a win during a game but one which would push our percentage into the thousands.

We need to recruit a ninja.

Ninjutsu is real and unbeatable and the ninja’s skills may even see him avoid detection all together. He would incapacitate the entire opposition, leaving them with 22 on the bench (better than GWS) allowing us to score at will.

If we used him against Essendon* he could spare Dylan Shiel and maybe even hypnotise him to liking Carlton again and force him to witness our total destruction of the Essendon* Football Club.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm 
John Nicholls

Ice. Not even once. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Looking for both a mature and small forward player we could do worse than Luke Parker from the Swans if he is available at a reasonable price.

Tough, skilled, can mark, mid fielder, and a proven goal kick kicker.

Swans are in the way down so they may be willing to negotiate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
I’ve been meditating recently and like a flash of light inspiration hit me squarely between the eyes.

I have formulated a strategy that will not only ensure us a win during a game but one which would push our percentage into the thousands.

We need to recruit a ninja.

Ninjutsu is real and unbeatable and the ninja’s skills may even see him avoid detection all together. He would incapacitate the entire opposition, leaving them with 22 on the bench (better than GWS) allowing us to score at will.

If we used him against Essendon** he could spare Dylan Shiel and maybe even hypnotise him to liking Carlton again and force him to witness our total destruction of the Essendon** Football Club.

That's far from your most stupid post.
:razz:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:17 am 
Bob Chitty

bluegirl72 wrote:
BigKev wrote:

i hope not ... i trust that those in power have far better knowledge than us ...

but, and i like to think im not salty about him choosing Essendon* over carlton, but i look at Walsh vs Shiel, and boy did we make the right decision ... it would have been a disaster giving up our first pick to see walsh running around with another side ...

He is already one of our best players, and i dont think that reflects poorly on our side, but rather, just how good Walsh could become ... a far better player than Shiel at the very least

Shiel is a great runner and gets the ball, but his effeciency istn where it needs to be for him to comman the dollars it was rumoured we where prepared to pay ...

and to think Essendon* gave up two first rounders for him ... well played GWS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
I like to think that from this year onwards there will be no further need for "senior support", unless of course it's a gun player we get for way-unders.

It's time for this group to take their destiny in their own hands.

Yep, that's right. You will see it stop. The trading to have 3 top ten picks in the draft will stop and the signing of delisted players will stop. What you will see is us trying to attract and trade for established players to fill our needs, potentially trading out surplus talent of our own to get it, while keeping just the bare minimum for new draftees.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
BigKev wrote:

i hope not ... i trust that those in power have far better knowledge than us ...

but, and i like to think im not salty about him choosing Essendon** over carlton, but i look at Walsh vs Shiel, and boy did we make the right decision ... it would have been a disaster giving up our first pick to see walsh running around with another side ...

He is already one of our best players, and i dont think that reflects poorly on our side, but rather, just how good Walsh could become ... a far better player than Shiel at the very least

Shiel is a great runner and gets the ball, but his effeciency istn where it needs to be for him to comman the dollars it was rumoured we where prepared to pay ...

and to think Essendon** gave up two first rounders for him ... well played GWS

Agree. :clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 51  Next