Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Darcy Cameron from the swans.
Tom Papley from the swans.
Steven Congolio from GWS.
Matt Buntine from GWS.
Ed Langdon from Freo.

Plenty of names plenty of opportunities to sign them up!!!
Money talks bullshi$ walks....

Go baggers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-27/whats-the-deal-18-outofcontract-players-flying-under-the-radar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

Gee there were a lot of Baileys and Rileys born in the late 90s!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Steve_C7 wrote:
So exactly who is going to ruck when krooze is injured?

Tom de Koning would have to be good for something. As for something more senior, I've seen enough of Lobbe & Phillips to know that i've seen enough. Their output is replaceable. I'd take my chances in the off season.

We're in a tight position where the reserve ruck won't play unless the #1 is out. The McGovern trade has committed us to a one ruck system for at least the next few years, so the reserve needs to be someone that can contest up to 80-odd hit outs a game. There's only so much you can spend on that sort of role.

Post subject: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Steve_C7 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Of the expiring contracts this year, i'd like to see:

KEEP
01 - Jack Silvagni... there's not a lot there, but he's fortunate to be the 'type' that's needed.
08 - Matthew Kreuzer... still doing some elite things out there. Probably gets +1 until they can't strap him together any more.
14 - Liam Jones... hopefully he's just fluked the ADBC on the baseline test & needs a few goes to get near the mark again.
22 - Caleb Marchbank... can play.
24 - Nic Newman... good enough, similar to Jack in that he fits a profile. Would rather see a midfielder in the role.
28 - David Cuningham... seen some ok things, some not-so-much.
40 - Michael Gibbons (r)... far from elite, but worthy of promotion nonetheless.

DON'T KNOW/CARE
06 - Kade Simpson... ball is in his court
19 - Angus Schumacher... never a great sign when your best work is as a spare, but a change of staff might make something of him?
36 - Patrick Kerr... McGovern is in his spot, which is already looking superfluous.
39 - Dale Thomas... they're not exactly knocking down the door to take his spot.
41 - Levi Casboult... I guess this one hinges on Jones & the rucks. Still the worst kick going around, but less heartache in the back half.
42 - Kym LeBois (r)
45 - Hugh Goddard (r)
46 - Matthew Cottrell (r)

THANKS, BUT NO THANKS
21 - Jarrod Garlett... can't fit into a side that is desperate for what he was drafted to provide.
27 - Matthew Lobbe... cheap, but no good.
34 - Andrew Phillips... same as Lobbe.

So exactly who is going to ruck when krooze is injured?

Casboult, De Koning, Jones or the new ruck we draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Ryder for two years while TDK comes through?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Costs aside, a forward six that starts with Curnow, McKay, McGovern & one of Kreuzer/Ryder is a bit top heavy, no?

At the very least, it forces Curnow & McKay into roles that deliver less to the team... it's a bit like batting Smith at 4 or 5 in a ODI. You still get elite Steve Smith, but not as much as you really need.

As I said in the Players Forum, it wouldn't be so bad if McGovern could run or jump. At the moment, they can defend him with a semi-athletic tall, giving them the height advantage one-on-one which compounds our weakness at ground level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:
Costs aside, a forward six that starts with Curnow, McKay, McGovern & one of Kreuzer/Ryder is a bit top heavy, no?

At the very least, it forces Curnow & McKay into roles that deliver less to the team... it's a bit like batting Smith at 4 or 5 in a ODI. You still get elite Steve Smith, but not as much as you really need.

As I said in the Players Forum, it wouldn't be so bad if McGovern could run or jump. At the moment, they can defend him with a semi-athletic tall, giving them the height advantage one-on-one which compounds our weakness at ground level.

We are what we are. They don't all have to be on the ground at the same time. But yes, it is very tall.
I still think Charlie will become Kouta and play all over the ground at once.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

With 5 games left to go, I reckon it’s reasonably safe to say the following are gone/going-
Pickett
Fasolo
Garlett
Lobbe
LeBois(r)

I think (hope) there will be less list changes this year, so maybe that’ll be it, but the following must be under scrutiny too-
Kerr
Macreadie
Phillips
Polson
Schumacher
Williamson
Cottrell(r)

We won’t delist that entire group; Kerr, Phillips, Schumacher & Cottrell are currently uncontracted for 2020 (I think) and so must be the most vulnerable of them. Depending on the medical prognosis, I’m half wondering if Williamson might retire.

I’ve also got a feeling that we’ll lose Casboult to FA.

I hope Daisy & Simmo follow Murph & Kreuzer’s lead and play on for one more year. I also hope there’s nothing Shaun Grigg-ish going on with Cunningham... :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm 
Bob Chitty

Williamson stays. Had a shit run with injuries but so has Setters and Kennedy..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 am 
Ken Hands

Polson contracted for next year. Levi is in career best form and losing him would be a blow. Never thought I'd say that. Given the uncertainty over Williamson and Docherty, I'd be keeping Schumacher. It's unusual these days to keep someone more than 2 years if they haven't played seniors, but it could be to his benefit. As far as the rucks, Lobbe must be gone and Phillips' future could depend on who we could trade in. Between Kreuze, Casboult, TDK and a trade we'd probably be covered. Despite being made of tissue paper I'd be pissed if we lost Cuningham.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:02 am 
Geoff Southby

I'd hope the club would be talking to the following players (not sure who has re-signed with their clubs):

Mids
Coniglio (RFA), Langdon, S Hill (UFA) and Ellis-Yolmen (UFA)
Rucks
Ceglar (UFA), Day (RFA) or Ryder. - all better upgrades on Lobbe and Phillips
Small forwards (not a huge priority)
Papley and Puopolo (UFA) - for the experience to run the forward line.
Backs
Tomlinson (UFA) and Houli (UFA)

Unfortunately, I think Williamson has to go. We already have Marchbank and Docherty who are constantly injured, we don't need anymore of these defenders on the list. It's time to start maturing the list with durable players and not "hopefuls" that they will get a clean run, those days are over as we get better. If Doc does his knee again he also needs to be put to pasture in the coaches box. Harsh but a reality for the benefit of the team.

The exciting part is, it's now time to start working on the bottom six players in the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:26 am 
Ken Hunter

We have to keep winning to make us an attractive club to come to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mark Stevens on channel 7 news says that Thomas will likely be offered a contract for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Good.

Post subject: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:43 pm 
Robert Walls

kezza wrote:
Mark Stevens on channel 7 news says that Thomas will likely be offered a contract for next year.

Good year. He earned it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

kezza wrote:

Excellent. He’s been playing some good football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

Excellent....

he's really stood up since he took the pay cut...!

our only Premiership player...and our kinda
Hodge...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am 
Geoff Southby

I read this article this morning and it seemed good until I read this:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-25/ ... de-targets

Quote:
SAM DRAPER (Essendon*)

Draft picks: Mid second-round pick
Value on open market: $350,000-450,000 per season

Hard to gauge the value of a rookie coming off an ACL without a senior game to his name. Was closing in on a debut before his reconstruction in May and with the Saints and Bombers both chasing his signature, his value will rise.

Quote:
JACK SILVAGNI (CARLTON)

Draft picks: Early third-round pick
Value on open market: $200,000-300,000 per season

Has tinkered his role this season from half-forward to more midfield minutes. There's no shortage of inside midfielders on offer this year but has shown enough in the past month to suggest he'd be a valuable addition to a list.

So when in a sane world is an untried ACL injured rookie player worth more than a kid on the rise who is already showing great improvement this season?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:47 am 
Geoff Southby

On another note, aside from Coniglio and Langdon who'd be interested in Zac Jones from Sydney? He could provide that hard edge in the middle.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 51  Next