Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Marchbank is out of contract end of 2020...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Kerr safe but Picket has retired.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
According to the font of truth (TC’s contract tracker), these are the current players without a contract for next year:
6 - Kade Simpson
19 - Angus Schumacher
21 - Jarrod Garlett
22 - Caleb Marchbank
27 - Matthew Lobbe
32 - Alex Fasolo
34 - Andrew Phillips
36 - Patrick Kerr
39 - Dale Thomas
40 - Michael Gibbons (r)
41 - Levi Casboult
42 - Kym LeBois (r)
45 - Hugh Goddard (r)
46 - Matthew Cottrell (r)
47 - Josh Deluca (r)

We know Thomas is gone. I would assume Garlett, Lobbe, Fasolo & LeBois are gone too.

Kerr & Goddard would be lineball. Probably depends on our list composition once other player movements have been settled. More likely to be gone than not, I would guess.

I hope Marchbank is signed up soon to a 2 or 3 year deal. I rate him. I’ve read some suggestions that we should offer him as trade bait but I wouldn’t be doing that.

Casboult has apparently activated the clause which gets him a contract extension. I wouldn’t trade him either, so he stays.

Simmo should go around one more time.

Gibbons has earned a 2 year extension.

Schumacher, Phillips, Cottrell & DeLuca should be offered 1 year deals, IMO.

So there’s......
at least 4 primary list spots available (Thomas, Garlett, Lobbe, Fasolo), probably 5 (Kerr); and
at least 1 rookie list spot (LeBois), maybe 2 (Goddard).

We may cut deeper than that, but I get the impression the club is looking to consolidate and stabilise our list. Accordingly:
1) I don’t expect the club will cut contracted players on the fringes like Polson & Macreadie;
2) I think we’ll be counting on draft picks - not players - being the currency to get trades (if any) done this year; and
3) we’ll be taking the minimum number of live selections in this year’s ND.

Someone told me today Marchbank and Kennedy are still in contract for 2020. Hope March is. I rate him too.

Gibbons has Buggs rookie spot.
DeLuca has the spare rookie spot we saved for mid year
Cottrell should take LeBois' rookie spot.

We could upgrade one onto the list, Gibbo for me, and leave a mid year draft spot for 2020 to fill a need unless an irresistable player is available.

DELIST - LIST

1. Pickett - Jack Martin (GCS) 24yo -186cm
2. Lobbe - Darcy Cameron (Syd) 24yo 205cm
3. Thomas - Stephen Coniglio (GWS) 25yo-187cm
4. Fasolo - Brandon Ellis (Rich) 26yo- 181cm
5. Garlett - Brad Couch (Adel) 25yo - 186cm
6. Lang - Sam Gray (Port) 27yp 176 or Tom Papley 23yo - 176 cm

then we have to make room for Gibbo or 3 new draftees. Kerr might be traded, ditto Levi,

not all the above will come to fruition but I'd say most will and player profile changes over night.

Carlton is a Destination Club....come on Cogs....Free Hit...I mean Free Agent.

Papley is still a huge chance. He's coming back to Melb next year if not this year.

We have 2 x first rounders (2019 and 2020)
We have 1 x 2020 2nd rounder
We have 3 x 3rd rounders (2019 & 2020)

Would prefer to keep Levi than Kreuzer and Philips TBH, but if we trade Levi .... another pick our way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluechampion wrote:
Earlier this year (or at some point late last year), there was a video of Bolton talking about one of the key talls re-signing, and he had a future CFC spine up on the board. At the time it was Marchbank, Weitering, Cripps, Curnow, McKay... and TDK as the ruck. The club rates him and sees him as our future no. 1 ruckman.

Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Quote:
7 and TDK for Rowell (The next Walsh) ?

I’m not buying the Rowell-Walsh comparison.
Walsh is far and away the best first year, no.1 draft pick in 20years.
It is HIGHLY unlikely that the very next year produces another Walsh.
IMO, this is just another version of the Rozee-Stack attempts to bring the Carlton fella down a peg or two.

(And while I’m on it, I reckon Nick Blakey is better than both Rozee or Stack anyway...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

deano35 wrote:

Are you sure?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

deano35 wrote:

:thanks:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

club29 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
club29 wrote:
TDK would be one of the best talls in the draft this year. GC or Melb might part with an early second for him?
Not sure how he will squeeze into the line up before he decides to move on for better opportunity at the end of his contract.

If we could trade him into a quality small forward would you do it?

Hell no.

You'd trade a talented up and coming ruck (which are rare) for a small forward? :banghead:

Yes for a quality small forward at this moment for our list. Then have a crack at replicating Brisbane's 19' season next year.

If Casboult stays i am not sure how TDK gets a game.

Our talls and in particular our rucks have a nasty habit of getting injured.
Also, all talls take longer to develop and he will still need another year in the 2s and who knows what will happen with the list again next year.

Personally, I think we need another mature ruck (replacing Lobbe and/or Phillips) and mature midfielders. We have enough small mids that can rotate through the forward half. And as long as we are winning clearances then they will have multiple forward 50 entries to have a crack. Plus Gibbons will step it up again next year after a full pre-season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

deano35 wrote:

Thanks Deano. That’s good news.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

what's the minimum number of draft picks we need to have?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
club29 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
club29 wrote:
TDK would be one of the best talls in the draft this year. GC or Melb might part with an early second for him?
Not sure how he will squeeze into the line up before he decides to move on for better opportunity at the end of his contract.

If we could trade him into a quality small forward would you do it?

Hell no.

You'd trade a talented up and coming ruck (which are rare) for a small forward? :banghead:

Yes for a quality small forward at this moment for our list. Then have a crack at replicating Brisbane's 19' season next year.

If Casboult stays i am not sure how TDK gets a game.

Our talls and in particular our rucks have a nasty habit of getting injured.
Also, all talls take longer to develop and he will still need another year in the 2s and who knows what will happen with the list again next year.

Personally, I think we need another mature ruck (replacing Lobbe and/or Phillips) and mature midfielders. We have enough small mids that can rotate through the forward half. And as long as we are winning clearances then they will have multiple forward 50 entries to have a crack. Plus Gibbons will step it up again next year after a full pre-season.

Can Casboult play as permanent ruck?

I really value his input to the team and we are well stocked with key talls in attack and defence. His ruck work is OK atm which can be improved with coaching and he adds a great deal of flexibility to the side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 pm 
Ken Hands

I think it’s a minimum of 3.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:29 pm 
Ken Hands

But a rookie upgrade can count as a draft pick - so if we upgrade Gibbons we only need to take 2 picks I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Earlier this year (or at some point late last year), there was a video of Bolton talking about one of the key talls re-signing, and he had a future CFC spine up on the board. At the time it was Marchbank, Weitering, Cripps, Curnow, McKay... and TDK as the ruck. The club rates him and sees him as our future no. 1 ruckman.

Yep.

Yet he was 3rd banana in the ressies all year :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Who would have thought Levi as the bonafide AFL swingman and recognised for it by the industry?

IMO and Ive said it a while, Levi my preferred ruckman over Kreuzer if it meant picking one or the other in the 22.
He brings so much more to the 22 and I like to have an extra runner to rotate in the 22. Unless we have both in the 22.

Levi for another year.
I'm guessing that will happen if e give him at least 2 years when his other suitor interstate is offering more money and 3 years.

If he stays, then I think its great we have Casboult Kreuzer and TDK as our rucks till end of next year when we can have a shot at a great mature ruckman.

I think TDK will take 2 years or longer to have the strength to ruck all day, but as a forward, I reckon he's ready to compete n the seniors after one more big preseason.

Maybe we can cash in Lobbe and Philips and replace them next year if there's no Grundy type this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Yep.

Yet he was 3rd banana in the ressies all year :confused:

Missed half the year with a knee injury.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:

I really value his input to the team and we are well stocked with key talls in attack and defence. His ruck work is OK atm which can be improved with coaching and he adds a great deal of flexibility to the side

I'm not sure he would be the right option. He's a good swingman and pinch ruck. We still need a gun tap ruck that can also play around the ground a little while TDK develops and or is his partner going forward. It's all about first use in the clearances and a ruck who can tap to advantage will deliver that. Something that Kreuzer lacks but exceeds as a tall mid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 am 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

I'm not sure he would be the right option. He's a good swingman and pinch ruck. We still need a gun tap ruck that can also play around the ground a little while TDK develops and or is his partner going forward. It's all about first use in the clearances and a ruck who can tap to advantage will deliver that. Something that Kreuzer lacks but exceeds as a tall mid.

If kreuze is at the end (which I believe he is) then we still need a mature ruck to help until TDK is ready which will be a couple years. Maybe rotating Kruze with Casboult throughout the season can keep Kreuze going long enough to allow TDK bulk up and be AFL ready

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

If kreuze is at the end (which I believe he is) then we still need a mature ruck to help until TDK is ready which will be a couple years. Maybe rotating Kruze with Casboult throughout the season can keep Kreuze going long enough to allow TDK bulk up and be AFL ready

I'm thinking along the same lines. Kreuzer Casboult Cameron and TDK as our ruck stocks, with TDK as the developing ruckman and Cameron as the first drop.

I like Phillips' ability to tap to advantage but I feel he hasn't filled out as expected to be able to hold his ground against gorillas in the throw ins, and ball ups.

At the end of the day, we need TDK to develop without being thrown to the wolves, therefore we need a tap ruckman till TDK is ready...TDK will take 2-3 years before he's strong enough to take the No.1 ruck spot and do it all day, week in week out. I have total confidence he can do it with Andrew Russell directing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 am 
Geoff Southby

:thumbsup:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next