Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Phillips was good on the weekend and with TDK in development i think we are ok with the ruck, which if you'd asked me that last week I'd have probably felt differently about.

Similarly with Setterfield having a breakout g a me on the weekend and Diesel a fan of Stocker I'm starting to think spending big on a proven mid maybe isnt a priorirty , instead Small Forward is our most pressing need. Give me Papley and if we can avoid losing pick 11 or whatever is our first pick then we have done well.

Agree... also, I'm not certain that we can. We've got one genuine $1m unicorn in Cripps, plus a handful of above average 184cm 82kg types that will average $400k+ on their next deals.

A top of the line stoppages and contested ball coach might make a midfielder out of Kennedy again and continue Setterfield's growth, then hopefully find another couple of similar size to keep the listed reserves competitive. If we can tick those two boxes AND win the lottery with Docherty and Williamson returning, then 17 will be within reach.

We will be losing Kruezer, Daisy, Murphy and Simmo soon. That should make some space. Plus I think we also have extra space for not meeting the minimum TPPs for a few years.

Kreuzer is a ruck. Phillips already looks to have gone past him granted it's just one game.

Daisy and Simmo are backs. Both could go around another couple years.

Murphy and Ed will be major losses. But both could play for a few years yet TBH.

Let's not chuck out old players just because they're old.

Don't get me wrong I want a Coniglio type but right now a small forward is the biggest need.

And we don't have a lot of trade collateral.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

Phillips has not gone past Kreuzer. Phillips was good on Saturday, but that’s 1 game. Look over his whole career and he’s clearly a backup ruckman only.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Phillips was good on the weekend and with TDK in development i think we are ok with the ruck, which if you'd asked me that last week I'd have probably felt differently about.

Similarly with Setterfield having a breakout g a me on the weekend and Diesel a fan of Stocker I'm starting to think spending big on a proven mid maybe isnt a priorirty , instead Small Forward is our most pressing need. Give me Papley and if we can avoid losing pick 11 or whatever is our first pick then we have done well.

Agree... also, I'm not certain that we can. We've got one genuine $1m unicorn in Cripps, plus a handful of above average 184cm 82kg types that will average $400k+ on their next deals.

A top of the line stoppages and contested ball coach might make a midfielder out of Kennedy again and continue Setterfield's growth, then hopefully find another couple of similar size to keep the listed reserves competitive. If we can tick those two boxes AND win the lottery with Docherty and Williamson returning, then 17 will be within reach.

We will be losing Kruezer, Daisy, Murphy and Simmo soon. That should make some space. Plus I think we also have extra space for not meeting the minimum TPPs for a few years.

Kreuzer is a ruck. Phillips already looks to have gone past him granted it's just one game.

Murphy and Ed will be major losses. But both could play for a few years yet TBH.

Don't get me wrong I want a Coniglio type but right now a small forward is the biggest need.

Sorry, my comment was about salary cap space and TPPs.

But as for positions please refer to previous comment.

Quote:
I agree about the ruck, but I'm not sure on your logic for the rest.

Setterfield is playing his best football on the wing and Stocker is playing off half back and looks like a good link player.
Ed Curnow is 29 and Murphy is 31.
We need mature age A-Grade pure mids (23-26ish), that will stop the ball from moving past centre and win in the clearances when Crippa is resting.

We already have Kennedy, Cunningham, Dow, Gibbons, Fisher, Owies*, DeLuca*, Lang*, Fasolo*, Polson*, Garlett*, LeBois* and possibly SPS that can all play a pressure small forward role.

*Need to be proven still.

Personally, I don't think Kreuzer and Phillips are comparable as they are different types of rucks. Phillips is still a good tap ruck.
Not sure what trade collateral you think we require, we have Adelaides first rounder.

Last edited by Sidefx on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 pm 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:

We have enough to get what we want.
First round picks this year and next for two of ruck, mid and small forward.

We have at least one player on our list I could see getting traded for the right deal.

There are also high quality FAs this year and next that also suit our needs.

I don’t think it’s an overly complicated situation given that we don’t need to go to the draft aggressively anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

toddkurnski wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

We have at least one player on our list I could see getting traded for the right deal.

I don’t think it’s an overly complicated situation given that we don’t need to go to the draft aggressively anymore.

Who’s that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:32 pm 
Robert Walls

For the avoidance of doubt, I believe we should use draft picks and FAs to fill our list needs. I think we can do it by this method alone.

But as was the case with Tuohy, who I thought ahead of time was suitable trade bait, Cuningham could also be. I like what he has, but if we cannot accomplish the above with our assets then he may be a tradeable player with currency.

Looking further into the future (and this I’m sure will raise eyebrows) there may be one too many good tall forwards on the list, depending on the development of TDK. Just crystal ball stuff, but if we need another mid in a couple years one of Mackay, Curnow or TDK maybe surplus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Levi has currency if we are prepared to lose him.
I would trade him and steak knives, maybe Kerr who helps them with their tall forward problem as well.for Zac Jones. Sydney need talls and they have plenty of mid-sizd players at their disposal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:33 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Quote:

Setterfield is playing his best football on the wing and Stocker is playing off half back and looks like a good link player.
We need mature age A-Grade pure mids (23-26ish), that will stop the ball from moving past centre and win in the clearances when Crippa is resting.

We already have Kennedy, Cunningham, Dow, Gibbons, Fisher, Owies*, DeLuca*, Lang*, Fasolo*, Polson*, Garlett*, LeBois* and possibly SPS that can all play a pressure small forward role.

Personally, I don't think Kreuzer and Phillips are comparable as they are different types of rucks. Phillips is still a good tap ruck.
Not sure what trade collateral you think we require, we have Adelaides first rounder.

Yes but that's it . No sec9nd rounder. So c a nt get a mid and Paps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cecil89 wrote:
Phillips has not gone past Kreuzer. Phillips was good on Saturday, but that’s 1 game. Look over his whole career and he’s clearly a backup ruckman only.

You're right just one game but TBH I think MK it's is a bit overrated. Yes he is a warrior and the heart and soul etc but reality it is he gets injured often and if you look back he is not in our top handful most weeks. And he is no spring chicken. I think this is all mirrored by the club giving him a one year deal only . I love the big fella bug reality is he's nearer to the end. Yes Phillips just one game but it was probably his best game for us and I suspect a lot of the success can be pinned by the new high performance chief, he seems to be very good at getting players up and about. Gets them fit before they come into the side. Just one game but it was a very pleasing effort by Phillips and Just what we need

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I would trade him and steak knives, maybe Kerr who helps them with their tall forward problem as well.for Zac Jones. Sydney need talls and they have plenty of mid-sizd players at their disposal.

I wouldn't get rid of him unless it's a crazy deal. See what Moore at Coll said recently about how it's a brutal game and injuries are a reality. You need de p th. Esp in talls. We have Jones, Charlie and Marchy miss many games this year. That leaves Weiters, McKay and Levi as the KPPs. You need depth. And also Levi seems to love the Blues. Good for fabric of club to keep players. Don't break this group up. Developing nicely under Teague.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:41 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

toddkurnski wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

I would only trade future first for a very good player.

Not in love with that strategy in general.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FA is a bonus if we can't do it. Don't give up anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:10 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:

Yes but that's it . No sec9nd rounder. So c a nt get a mid and Paps.

I suppose that's where our difference in opinion is. I don't think a small forward is as high a priority as are mids at the moment and the evidence is Murphy and Ed killing it and winning us games with bigger bodies and better clearances. But they are old and Murphy is now really slow and can't catch the faster mids. I have noticed this in the last few weeks when there is a turn over, they just look at him and turn on the jets through the middle. Yes, Dow, Walsh, SPS and Fisher are nice and quick but still too small and will need at least 2 more pre seasons to be able to muscle out the likes of Danger, Kelly (GWS), Coniglio, Dusty etc. By then Murphy, Simmo and possibly Ed and Kreuzer will have retired. I want us to be in the finals next year and our weakest area on the ground is in the middle, as it has been this season and last.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:25 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Ed is 29, no history of injury issues, will play another 3 years minimum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Quote:

We certainly keep Phillips, Lobbe will obviously be gone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Sombrero wrote:

He’s an unrestricted free agent I’m pretty sure. We would be at the mercy of the AFLs secret equation that got Geelong pick 19 (from memory, at least something close to this pick) for Motlop but yet nothing for Waite who went on to play good footy. Not sure what Motlop has done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:56 am 
Harry Vallence

I'll throw up a hypothetical.

If we miss out on Coniglio and a decent small forward of note, would you want to take Jacobs/Betts/Gibbs as a salary cap dump as a means of getting back into the second round?

Slight upgrades on Lobbe, Fasolo and Garlett essentially in terms of where they'd rank in the playing list, good PR story, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

Given how many players I've personally had to "re-assess" over the past seven weeks I wouldn't be too keen on trading out anyone who's getting a game in the seniors.
Let's just use the draft, (as much as we can anyway). and if we can snag a decent FA without paying too much overs then fine.

I think that this list may turn out to be a bit better than was thought a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 pm 
Ken Hands

How exactly does that get us back into the second round? They throw in the pick as well? Can't see them doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

ferdinand wrote:
How exactly does that get us back into the second round? They throw in the pick as well? Can't see them doing that.

Probably dependent on if they genuinely think they're half a chance of landing Brodie Grundy. Otherwise no chance... if they were, and desperate to offload the 3 contracts (probably 1.5 mill of cap space there?) - trading their 3rd rounder (and GWS' fourth) back for our second rounder as part of the deal?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next