Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:58 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
So who and what position do we target in the mid season?

A goal scoring small forward. Apart from Cuningham I'm not really impressed by any of ours at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sin City wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

A goal scoring small forward. Apart from Cuningham I'm not really impressed by any of ours at the moment.

Missing Pickett

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
The club has to finish off the rebuild by moving on the last remnants of the dark years - Murphy Casboult Simpson...

Its still dark.......

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

ianh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Good question.

Seems we need cover for small defenders, small forwards and ruck. And of course you can never have too many midfielders on a list, especially since often it will be a midfielder who gets converted either permanently or on an interim basis to play small forward or back.

The clubs generally seem to be looking to pick up younger types rather than more mature retreads, even though everyone who qualifies for the mid-season draft must have been through the system anyway. For example, today the AFL website highlighted 200 cm defender turned ruckman turned defender again Ben Kelly playing as an overager at Murray Bushrangers. Might be a longer term Liam Jones replacement, if that was what we were after. It doesn't seem to be being looked at much to replace an injured player for the short term, although that might change if one of the flag contenders was to lose someone for the rest of the season that they didn't have great cover for.

Small defenders
I am a big fan of Mason Blakey as a lockdown defender, but if we take the view we are more in need of a linebreaking small defender it would be hard to go past ex Swans academy member RYAN HEBRON now doing well at Werribee. Quick leftie and has versatility, really like his ball use and unlike other linebreaking defenders is also competitive one-on-one. Would not be at all unhappy to grab him.

Rucks
For a ready made ruck/forward COREY GAULT (26 yo 200cm 100kg Swan Districts) ex magpies looms as ready to go. There are a few big boys running around in the State leagues, one I like the look of is Jack Blair of North Adelaide a 26 yo who played rugby until he was 22 then gave AFL a go, played at Uni of Sydney and was trialled at the Swans a couple of years ago. Seems to have continued to develop and is a real man mountain at 206cm and 108kg (down from 112kg when he trialled at the Swans). Doesn't get a lot of possessions or hitouts but would give us a different type of ruckman to what we have on the list. Ex-Box Hill basketball convert MICHAEL KNOLL is almost as tall (205cm) and not skinny at 100kg and again has upside given not that long in the AFL code (1 yr Box Hill dev squad, 2 years Box Hill, now first year at SANFL club South Adelaide) and 25 years old. I'd probably look at GAULT if we want impact this year especially as he is in the same age range and has more capacity to play forward which might make him a Casboult replacement option if Kreuzer stands up.

Small forwards
Plenty of options here, including Northern's own Palmer, but the standouts seem to be ex-Cat Cory Gregson who seems over the foot problems that vexed him at Geelong and is still only 22 or the late-blooming Sam Lowson at Coburg who is 23 and has come up from the development league this year showing real defensive forward pressure to go with a real nose for a goal. LOWSON for mine if we go for a small forward

Mids
Northern's Frank Anderson has hit the ground running on a small sample size, Sam Fisher has been good at Northern for a larger sample size and would be my prefernce between the 2. Looking further afield JYE BOLTON continues to dominate the WAFL but is that bit older at 27 and for a flashier type MARLION PICKETT at the same age was running very hot earlier this year. Be happy to reward Fisher if we decide a mid is the priority

All up given no-one beats us to him I'd probably grab Gault as I think a back-up ruck who can also play forward an be an upgrade to Casboult would be pretty handy, next in line HEBRON pace and disposal can never be in too much supply.

Good read. :clap:
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue61 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Mongrel
We have enough nice young chaps with talent
Whatever position, we need some mongrel
If there is one, get a deGoey type (within 3years he will be in top 5 in the comp IMO)
Talent plus attitude

A mongrel mid or 200cm + mature age ruck.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sin City wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Agreed, I'm thinking we should retire someone. We might need more than one pick.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
Don’t we have two picks?

I’d be surprised if we couldn’t land Blakey with our 2nd in that case, so we’d be able to help ourselves to a small forward like Lowson and defender in Blakey. Two gaps filled.

Ruck still a concern though.

The AFL website has us having only one pick.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Blue61 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Mongrel
We have enough nice young chaps with talent
Whatever position, we need some mongrel
If there is one, get a deGoey type (within 3years he will be in top 5 in the comp IMO)
Talent plus attitude

A mongrel mid or 200cm + mature age ruck.

yes both are urgently required

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 pm 
Robert Walls

Our small forwards consist of:

LeBois- unproven. Often injured.
Pickett- often injured. Shown glimpses.
Garlett- more of a mid? Yet to fire.
Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Cunningham- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.
E. Curnow- defensive forward/mid.

We suck at forward pressure, so a small, quick, defensively minded forward who can kick goals... is a rarity. But something we need.

We also need a next-in-line senior ruck if we think Kreuzer is getting towards the end and Phillips won’t make it. Even if Kreuzer lasts another few years, DeKonning is still probably 5 years away from any consistency.

I actually think, if we had a shred of luck with injury, we’re sorted for small/medium defenders.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 am 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:

Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.

We suck at forward pressure, so a small, quick, defensively minded forward who can kick goals... is a rarity. But something we need.

We also need a next-in-line senior ruck if we think Kreuzer is getting towards the end and Phillips won’t make it. Even if Kreuzer lasts another few years, DeKonning is still probably 5 years away from any consistency.

I actually think, if we had a shred of luck with injury, we’re sorted for small/medium defenders.

Polson is another small forward. He’s decent at applying forward pressure, but not clean enough with the ball IMO. He’s a hard worker from all accounts and has another year to go on his contract, so may still make it, but unlikely to be honest.

If there is a war chest, I would be spending it on a top tier ruckman from another club. One that can hold us over for a few years until TDK is ready to play consistently.

Running defenders, line breaking outside mids and small forwards are the other areas of need for mine.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 am 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.

Polson is another small forward. He’s decent at applying forward pressure, but not clean enough with the ball IMO. He’s a hard worker from all accounts and has another year to go on his contract, so may still make it, but unlikely to be honest.

If there is a war chest, I would be spending it on a top tier ruckman from another club. One that can hold us over for a few years until TDK is ready to play consistently.

Running defenders, line breaking outside mids and small forwards are the other areas of need for mine.

a.k.a. Grundy or Gawn ... those monsters feeding our midfield would be unreal

Post subject: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am 
Bruce Doull

Anyone know what the situation is with Darcy from Freo? Hasn’t had much of a go since Lobb came over.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am 
Harry Vallence

bluechampion wrote:

Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.

Darcy Lang ???

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am 
Geoff Southby

Navy One wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.

Darcy Lang ???

Lang has been playing wing/HB in the VFL.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 pm 
Robert Walls

aboynamedsue wrote:
Navy One wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.

Darcy Lang ???

Yeah, I missed Polson and would agree that Lang is more of a mid. He's certainly not a full-time small forward (even if he can play there). That's what we're missing - a player who genuinely plays small forward, but can pop up elsewhere sometimes - a Michael Walters / Charlie Cameron type. Not a small who spends time forward.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Navy One wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Fasolo- yet to fire.

Gibbons- more of a mid.
Murphy- more of a mid.

Darcy Lang ???

Yeah, I missed Polson and would agree that Lang is more of a mid. He's certainly not a full-time small forward (even if he can play there). That's what we're missing - a player who genuinely plays small forward, but can pop up elsewhere sometimes - a Michael Walters / Charlie Cameron type. Not a small who spends time forward.

Agreed, but they are hard to find! Perhaps that’s why we’ve been so patient with LeBois? Pickett had potential in that space but I reckon it might be all over for him.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm 
Rod Ashman

scottopee wrote:
Rexy wrote:
The club has to finish off the rebuild by moving on the last remnants of the dark years - Murphy Casboult Simpson...

Its still dark.......

Not Simpsons fault those years were dark.
We still look better with him in the side

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sin City wrote:

Established quick Midfielder
Established Ruckman
Established small forward

23 - 26 age bracket.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:45 am 
Bob Chitty

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Sin City wrote:

Established quick Midfielder
Established Ruckman
Established small forward

23 - 26 age bracket.

Established where??? This is the midseason draft we are talking about we only get a shot at retreads and the overlooked.

Do you mean mature?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:49 am 
Bob Chitty

Shift someone to the LTI list and grab Marlion Pickett and the best ruck we can find - preferably one that offers something as a forward so can play in same side as Kreuzer and ideally with some mongrel in them.

Pickett can play off half back, mid or forward as we may need.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 51  Next