Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

BigGartos wrote:
So for a few years conventional wisdom has us bringing in an elite midfielder and paying accordingly.
In the medium term, do we now need to do this ?
Soon enough we will need salary cap room to keep all our new young talent.
Have we suddenly more or less resolved our need for midfield talent ( although young) ?
If we still buy someone in, it might actually be a ruck?

Agree. If not a ruck then maybe an electric, match winning forward a la a Rankine type :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

What does Docs injury mean in terms of the list? Does he go into LTI? Do we get an additional player?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

We still have a rookie spot up our sleeve.

#GUILTY

Post subject: Re: List Management 2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

AIRCAV wrote:
What does Docs injury mean in terms of the list? Does he go into LTI? Do we get an additional player?

you only get additional players after you systematically dope...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
We still have a rookie spot up our sleeve.

Get Mason Blakey on the list if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:56 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Sounds like we have the rookie spot and a Doc spot to fill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mason Blakey or dare I say, BJ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Normal One wrote:
Sounds like we have the rookie spot and a Doc spot to fill.

Is this official? One possible silver lining if so, I guess.

Blakey would seem an obvious choice for the small defender spot. Maybe Sam Fisher, Mitch Grigg or a small forward like Stack for the other?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

How to make this situation worse...I know, bring Goddard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Megaman wrote:

Goddard was dismissed (as a possible replacement) by Lloyd when asked on radio.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am 
Geoff Southby

The loss of one player no matter how good he is shouldn’t
have a significant effect if the list is good

SOS and his merry men have well and truly loaded up this year
and we have very little to play with in the 2019 draft

Time for guys like Cuningham who is in his 4 th year next season
to step up
Don’t forget our second best rebounding defender is 35 next year
and wont be around much longer

McGovern might have to play down back more next year as well

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm well and truly in the "we should be bigger than one player" camp, especially as we have (albeit inferior) backup for Doch's position.

If there was any doubt about Newman being best 22, they can now go away. Williamson is hopefully clear of injury, and we get another preseason into LOB and Schumacher.

What did us in this time last year, and why people are probably freaking out, is that Doch's injury was just the beginning. In fact, it wasn't until the season started that our rot really set in with our 23-week revolving door of ins and outs. It's no surprise people are sensing deja vu.

We will only see a repeat of 2018 if we make it so, and by "we" I mean the players as well as those tasked with developing them. The players need to man up and take responsibility, our high performance unit needs to get them to AFL standard (I've seen a few comments from people "in the know" about Russell's dismay at our players' fitness levels), and our medical team need to stop clearing injured players too early.

Most important, the coaches and the administration need to raise the stakes and demand nothing short of total commitment. No more excuses and no more piss-farting around. The time for these boys and our club to grow up once and for all is now.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 am 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
I'm well and truly in the "we should be bigger than one player" camp, especially as we have (albeit inferior) backup for Doch's position.

If there was any doubt about Newman being best 22, they can now go away. Williamson is hopefully clear of injury, and we get another preseason into LOB and Schumacher.

What did us in this time last year, and why people are probably freaking out, is that Doch's injury was just the beginning. In fact, it wasn't until the season started that our rot really set in with our 23-week revolving door of ins and outs. It's no surprise people are sensing deja vu.

We will only see a repeat of 2018 if we make it so, and by "we" I mean the players as well as those tasked with developing them. The players need to man up and take responsibility, our high performance unit needs to get them to AFL standard (I've seen a few comments from people "in the know" about Russell's dismay at our players' fitness levels), and our medical team need to stop clearing injured players too early.

Most important, the coaches and the administration need to raise the stakes and demand nothing short of total commitment. No more excuses and no more piss-farting around. The time for these boys and our club to grow up once and for all is now.

This doesn't guarantee Newman a game every week, he still has to earn it, I wouldn't mind seeing Pickett given a chance playing the same role in pre season and see who does it better out of him and Newman. Maybe there is a spot for both? Williamson will probably have to come back via 2nd's been out for a long time.
Apart from that in wholehearted agreement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:49 am 
Bruce Doull

Newman's not guaranteed each week, but he's got a definite head-start on the competition for that spot. More experienced, fitter and has some runs on the board at AFL level.

Pickett came back unfit, which is a really bad sign and disappointing. He'll have to work all the harder to earn his spot.

And one more addition to my soapbox, directed squarely at our players if I had the chance:
- Although you may not be aware of it from within the four walls of the club, everyone wants you to fail.
- Forget the fake smiles from reporters or the occasional puff piece about you in a rag, these people reveled in the shit you had to put up with last year and want nothing more than for that pain and humiliation to be repeated.
- Charlie, Paddy, Harry, Walshy, Weiters, Stockers (you in particular) et al, anyone not wearing Carlton colours would love nothing more than to see your dreams of playing AFL and being successful die in the dirt. This isn't what you thought you were signing up for when you started playing this game in the backyard as a kid, but that's how it is.
- They won't play fair, and the hits won't stop coming, no matter how nice and upstanding you are. So WTF are you going to do about it?
/Rocky speech

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 am 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Newman's not guaranteed each week, but he's got a definite head-start on the competition for that spot. More experienced, fitter and has some runs on the board at AFL level.

Pickett came back unfit, which is a really bad sign and disappointing. He'll have to work all the harder to earn his spot.

And one more addition to my soapbox, directed squarely at our players if I had the chance:
- Although you may not be aware of it from within the four walls of the club, everyone wants you to fail.
- Forget the fake smiles from reporters or the occasional puff piece about you in a rag, these people reveled in the shit you had to put up with last year and want nothing more than for that pain and humiliation to be repeated.
- Charlie, Paddy, Harry, Walshy, Weiters, Stockers (you in particular) et al, anyone not wearing Carlton colours would love nothing more than to see your dreams of playing AFL and being successful die in the dirt. This isn't what you thought you were signing up for when you started playing this game in the backyard as a kid, but that's how it is.
- They won't play fair, and the hits won't stop coming, no matter how nice and upstanding you are. So WTF are you going to do about it?
/Rocky speech

Yeah was a little disappointed to hear about Pickett's return weight, is it more a case of his body type though? I mean by today's standard would Swan ever got a chance? Or Byron Pickett.
I'm more worried about what his skinfolds are at the end of pre season. And I'd be inclined to cut him a tiny amount of slack given his Pickett body type.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:59 am 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:

/Rocky speech

This talk is getting me excited and is exactly the sort of attitude they need.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

keogh wrote:
The loss of one player no matter how good he is shouldn’t have a significant effect if the list is good

It shouldn't affect the overall quality of the list, but it will inevitably affect the team's immediate output if the player is important enough. Just imagine Sydney without Buddy. Or Richmond without Dusty. Etc.

We don't have enough high quality seasoned players on our list as it is (hence our trading strategy). We can't really afford to lose the ones we do have. Hard to see us getting out of bottom 4 now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Megaman wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

smithy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

/Rocky speech

Yeah was a little disappointed to hear about Pickett's return weight, is it more a case of his body type though? I mean by today's standard would Swan ever got a chance? Or Byron Pickett.
I'm more worried about what his skinfolds are at the end of pre season. And I'd be inclined to cut him a tiny amount of slack given his Pickett body type.

Very unprofessional by Pickett and lacking towards CFC, if he doesn’t have the determination and desire to get himself in best form to exploit his obvious abundant natural talent then throw him out end 2019 campaign , doesn’t deserve to be on the list in 2020.
This year must be the last chance, likewise for quite a few other players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Personally I would give him every chance, his talent is outrageous. Never had a clear run.. imagine if he strung together 40 games how good he would be at the other end.
Imagine if he was producing that Hawthorn game form from a couple of years ago; every 2 or 3 weeks...but better. You'd have a top 40 competition player on your hands. But give him a role and let him stick to it just not as a fwd, he ain't a full time fwd.
For me he gets chances over others because they don't have his natural abilities, but he has to show the drive at some stage agreed. Should be given at least to end of 2020.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next