Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

I wonder who will feature on Mic'd Up this week?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

I really don't know why I keep going. Woeful. Painful ball movement. Constantly go short to a contest. Yes lots of injuries but the game plan is stodge. I have been a believer but Bolton better get massive improvement next year, because our litany of excuses don't cut it. And we need lots of gun mids starting with the number one pick. Please no more swapping picks for duds from other clubs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just home from the game. Thank goodness that is over.
Polson was really good, Cripps again as usual.
Umpiring was appalling.
Thank you to Carlton for making me sit next to a bay full of obnoxious Crows supporters who only paid $15 to sit in the bay next to me.
I didn't win one of the airline tickets, a guy near me won the tickets to LA.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Bolts says Charlie has done a medial. Fingers crossed it’s not at the serious end and it doesn’t effect his preseason.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Carlton FC
‏Verified account @CarltonFC
1h1 hour ago

Bolton: Tonight’s disappointing. We won the inside 50s in such a heavy loss, so clearly there’s a lot of work to do with efficiency.
Bolton: We didn’t get delay on Adelaide’s ball movement. There were lots of fundamentals we didn’t do, which added up.
Bolton: We’ve had really challenging realities this season. We’ve got an incredible amount of work to do.
Bolton: This year will pay us back. We’ve had a combined 240-odd games missed among injured players. Our youngsters have had more opportunities and exposure earlier than expected.
Bolton: Our group needs a rest. There are sore bodies, but there’s hard work ahead in pre-season.
Bolton: Charlie Curnow has hurt his medial ligament. Early reports are that it’s not serious.
Bolton: We need to build up our youngsters to support Cripps. Having said that, they’re learning a lot from him.
Bolton: We’re all human and we’re all invested in our footy club. We go through emotional rollercoasters, but we make sure we don’t get distracted in sticking to our plan.
Bolton: Internally we’ve got a strong vibe. It’s a place where people know it’s real. We’ve created a strong environment, and I’m confident potential trade targets will see that. The challenge is luring some free agents who want instant success.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

aboynamedsue wrote:
Bolts says Charlie has done a medial. Fingers crossed it’s not at the serious end and it doesn’t effect his preseason.

Medial is good news.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:54 am 
John James

rhys87 wrote:
Left after first goal in the 3rd.

Definitely need to question the coaching tonight.
2 vs 6 in the Forward line, allow them to mark and setup from half back. Can have all the numbers back that you like but if it's against a team which has time to make decisions and a forward line which leads well and understands space it is pointless.

I've been going to the footy every week for over 30 years and I've never seen a setup like that 2 v 6 in the forward line. The last centre bounce in the third quarter Harry and Lang were our two forwards and they started on the line of the centre square. It was bizarre. Someone like Blue Vain with a much sharper footy brain than I might be able to explain it but to me it was conceding two thirds of the ground before the ball was even bounced. I understand we were getting slaughtered but what's the point having an extra 4 blokes behind the ball when you're already 80 points down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:20 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Polson was great and has a future forward pocket to call his for the next decade, imo. and, De Konning didn't get killed as per Walls' suggestions. So that was good.

De-list rowe. He's been getting towelled up all year long to the point where it's just embarrassing. Crashing a pack from 5metres back that already had marchbank and weiters under the ball, and breaking weiters nose and concussing him, has to surely be his final piece of work in a blues jersey, yeah?

i find it staggering in an 104 point loss that we had more inside 50's than them. That surely can't have happened in the history of the game before? I don't even know what it means or who to blame :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 am 
Bruce Doull

The main positive from last night is that it was another step in the young guys taking over this team.

Except for Simpson, they must look at the rest of them and think "FFS - I'll do it myself!"

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 am 
Ken Hunter

Brently8 wrote:
rhys87 wrote:
Left after first goal in the 3rd.

Definitely need to question the coaching tonight.
2 vs 6 in the Forward line, allow them to mark and setup from half back. Can have all the numbers back that you like but if it's against a team which has time to make decisions and a forward line which leads well and understands space it is pointless.

I've been going to the footy every week for over 30 years and I've never seen a setup like that 2 v 6 in the forward line. The last centre bounce in the third quarter Harry and Lang were our two forwards and they started on the line of the centre square. It was bizarre. Someone like Blue Vain with a much sharper footy brain than I might be able to explain it but to me it was conceding two thirds of the ground before the ball was even bounced. I understand we were getting slaughtered but what's the point having an extra 4 blokes behind the ball when you're already 80 points down.

They didn't want to have the worst losing margin of the season?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

This noncompetitive season is finally over.
I missed most of the 3rd quarter.
With SOS at the helm, we can go into the post-season trade/draft with confidence.
Cripps.
Byrne.
Harry, LOB and Polson all impressed.

Cons:

I don't know if the last 6 weeks have been part of our priority pick strategy. And I know we lost Gibbs and Docherty, and have been decimated with injuries. But the level of noncompetitiveness this year cannot be justified. I'm a huge fan of Bolts, but unless there's a return to the competitiveness levels of 2016-2017, I don't think he'll last.
Yet again we made it easy early for the visiting interstate team.
Tackling and defensive intensity.
Inaccuracy.
Injuries again.
Rowe. I know he's come back from a big knee, and he's a good bloke. But surely we can't give him another year. He's been putrid in the 2nd half of the year.
Thomas and Kerridge weren't much better.
I don't know if Ed's playing really sore. But had a poor end to the season as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Thank God the year is over.

From this game?
Pros:
Polson
Weitering getting some confidence back
Byrne showing us what he has.
Cripps effort
McKay
SPS possession efficiency
Marchbank did some nice things.

Cons:
The gameplan doesn't stack up. It's outdated and needs a major overhaul prior to the draft or we will pick the wrong players for the future.
Kicking efficiency
Handball efficiency
Lack of accountability
Six or eight goals from loose men inside the square
Charlie knee injury (hoping it isn't serious)
In-game coaching. Bolts just slavishly follows his shit system as the opposition keeps doing the same thing over and over and over.
Yet another 100 point thrashing.
Most players gave up half way through the second quarter and then tried to salvage their reputations in the last.
Jack Silvagni played one quarter of football but he wasn't alone. I don't think he is going to make it.
Lang was unsighted.
Tackling was well below AFL standard.
O'Brien wasted the footy but I am prepared to cut him some slack as he is just a kid and the season is long.

I feel we are going nowhere. Put our best 22 on the park and try to play that gameplan and we still get a hiding. The only time we have looked good all year was when we ran the footy. Even tonight we tried it once and it came off. Once! And Byrne had three possessions in the passage.

We broke several records tonight.
Cripps all time contested possies in a season. He will have to retire at 25 because we are going to kill him at this rate.

Highest score for the season narrowly beating the previous highest, also kicked against us.
Worst win/loss/percentage performance by the team for 117 years.
Most number of wooden spoons by one team in the 21st century (5). Richmond (2), GWS (2) Melbourne (1) and Bullies (1) also feature in that time. Plus Essendon**'s drug ban year. All those other teams are on the move or have won a flag.

Nice work to the recruiting people, coaches and players over that period.

I would have liked to have finished the season with a bit of heart and momentum but this game was just pathetic to watch as their forwards played with our defence to share the goals around and we bombed it long to Harry most of the night. Worst game for the year to finish the worst year in my lifetime and the lifetime of every other living Carlton person.

Everything in this post is spot on sadly. We have one year to start showing something folks....next year is the watershed moment. Repeat this year again and we're flowered. It'll be a 17 team comp with a weekly bye from 2020.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Any news on the severity of Charlie & Weitering’s injuries?
Weitering was concussion
Curnow haven't heard anything
Lets hope like hell it is not to serious.
We cant have the future sidelined for a year and we can't give Bolton and his coaching crew another get out of jail free card like Docherty and Gibbs gave him this year

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

And Kennedy and Kruezer and Williamson and Plowman and Pickett and Marchbank and Fisher and Murphy and Byrne and Cunningham and Macreadie and Jones...

But yes, the coaching panel needs to lift significantly next year. Minimum 8 wins otherwise the year will be a failure

Murphy ? Pickett ? they had their chances and did zip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Braithy wrote:
Polson was great and has a future forward pocket to call his for the next decade, imo. and, De Konning didn't get killed as per Walls' suggestions. So that was good.

De-list rowe. He's been getting towelled up all year long to the point where it's just embarrassing. Crashing a pack from 5metres back that already had marchbank and weiters under the ball, and breaking weiters nose and concussing him, has to surely be his final piece of work in a blues jersey, yeah?

i find it staggering in an 104 point loss that we had more inside 50's than them. That surely can't have happened in the history of the game before? I don't even know what it means or who to blame :lol:

Winning the inside 50 count in a 104 point drubbing is explained in two words.....two and six. Inexcusable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Apparently Boekhorst was on twitter last night having a crack at Bolton.
He retweeted that old tweet from years ago about us only scoring 1 goal in a half and said sorry Mick, not you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

kezza wrote:
Apparently Boekhorst was on twitter last night having a crack at Bolton.
He retweeted that old tweet from years ago about us only scoring 1 goal in a half and said sorry Mick, not you.

So?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

MIL wrote:
Braithy wrote:

Winning the inside 50 count in a 104 point drubbing is explained in two words.....two and six. Inexcusable.

We had 61 inside 50s last night. I don't have the numbers at hand, but that would have to be our most for some time? And it came in a 104-point loss. Very odd.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Pro: Got to my first game this year!

Con: Got to my first game this year!

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blues2005 wrote:
We had 61 inside 50s last night. I don't have the numbers at hand, but that would have to be our most for some time? And it came in a 104-point loss. Very odd.

I'm guessing it was part of the Crows' strategy to let us throw the first punch, and then counter-attack unimpeded when the inevitable turnover occurred.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:16 pm 
Robert Walls

Donstuie wrote:
Blues2005 wrote:

I'm guessing it was part of the Crows' strategy to let us throw the first punch, and then counter-attack unimpeded when the inevitable turnover occurred.

Or...it was part of our strategy to shine the light one last time on just how much we need a PP (especially with a lower % than GC)

Something smelly about this year (apart from our stinking performances)

Everyone has been on the same page

Ok...maybe I live in hope but me thinks some BIG surprises come October and November and then unleash it all in 2019 (please let me fantasise)