Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

It's been a long year. Every time I go I think it's the last time, but I keep going back and will probably go again next week. We battled hard but our game style is so static, no run, we can't create space and we move the ball so sloooowy. A few players look cooked. TDK was promising and they should have looked for him more instead of always kicking to Charlie with four guys hanging off him.
LOB was very good. I like Polsons effort and courage but he needs a fraction more of everything, pace, ball handling, kicking depth. Hopefully he will continue to get better and find a spot. Lang handles the ball well but doesn't look especially quick or interested. Looks a bit like he wishes he was still at Geelong.
Lamb may have grabbed a new contract with his form as a half back. We need lots of midfielders. Hopefully next year lots of our players take leaps forward and we have a great run with injury and our game plan involves occasionally moving the ball quickly in the direction of our goals.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
99prelim wrote:
SPS thinks that belonging is an entitlement

Where do you get that from? Hasn't been dropped, therefore must have a sense of entitlement? Seems a stretch.

I've liked SPS over the last number of weeks although maybe not so much today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:09 pm 
Robert Walls

GreatEx wrote:
99prelim wrote:

Where do you get that from? Hasn't been dropped, therefore must have a sense of entitlement? Seems a stretch.

It's an opinion I have. Has had two interrupted preseasons yet never been dropped, despite blocks of poor games

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Weitering looked to me like a guy who hadn't run at all since he got that corkie. He was playing well before he got injured, not too worried.

Really impressed by LOB, he's coming on well and using the ball well. Look forward to what he and Dow can produce after a full pre-season.

Lamb has been good since he moved to defence, might have a future there.

We were never gonna run out a full game against the dogs. Their midfielders like Hunter, McLean, Macrae, Bont, Daniel, Wallis etc have just done more pre-seasons than our young guys have and can run harder for longer. It was a good contest for the majority of the game, we'll get our turn in a few years

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BlueLife wrote:
Not sure how Marchbank can be in the pros column. Fumbled a couple of sitters but worse than that just makes too many poor decisions. I want him to be good, but needs to work on his decision making.

Simmo still in our best couple of players. He is a freak.

Look at his game again. One fumble was a two grabber on on each sideof the line and one a point. One was a dropped mark he was running with and he might well have left it alone and it probably would have been oob. No talking.
He also took quite a few intercept marks and opened up the play pretty well.
If you want him to win the Brownlow, you will be disappointed.
If you can't see the good stuff he does and only the off fumble or missed kick, you need to look at the rest of the comp and see what is happening. Nobody goes at 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The Duke wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Rexy wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Massive Qs on Weitering and SPS. They just don't seem to get Bolts' awesome gameplan

SPS quiet today but had a good month. No Qs on him.

I have one.
He NEVER takes the long option. Even his shot at goal ended up in no score because he didn't want to have a shot from 40 out and passed it to a turnover instead.
He rarely takes the obvious option. Tries the flashy stuff too much.
He has the skills but he often makes the players up field work too hard.

Why?

Another disappointing game where they managed to stay in touch for three quarters but still managed a bare handful of goals for the game, despite having Harry and Charllie up front. They murdered us on centre clearances and F50 entries. The score flattered us. The defence held up ok. Weitering gets done for HTB a lot. If he had someone to give it off to occasionally it would happen less.
One only has to look at the willingness of the team in about 14th spot to run and carry, make space in the corridor and handball forward of the ball to see just how far behind the times we are. It was a bloody stupid week to drop Pickett when BB finally decided to try and run the footy a bit more. He and Garlett may have defensive issues and I am sure that's why they are in the twos but until we inject pace and run into this team we will go nowhere.

Marchbank played well for us despite those who claim he dropped two sitters. East to say from behind a keyboard. he intercepted a lot and used his run quite well.
Byrne has one week to go without getting injured and played well.
Simmo will be sorely missed.
The kids did OK. TDK had an inauspicious debut but didn't disgrace himself either.
Jack needs a role and he needs to develop a body to play it or it's adios for him.
Harry is awesome except his kicking for goal is average.
Daisy will get a one year contract.

On the cons side, I am constantly bewildered how a man can stand by himself inside the opposition forward line for fifteen seconds with nobody doing anything and then get an uncontested mark. It is almost as bad as having two of the opposition alone inside the centre square waiting for the kick to open up the play. We obviously aren't aware of the corridor or we would occasionally pick up someone who was hanging around in it or even try and use it as an avenue to goal.

One week to go. At least my Mexican soccer team is wining after being on the bottom for the last fifteen years. Maybe it's an omen.
The NFL is also fast approaching.

I hope you're not a Browns supporter

I go where the Aussies are. Not a supporter of any team in particular, though I did watch the Eagles because of the Sav connection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Lang's a definite need for improvement.

He gets one more year and a preseason to show why he should stay. Otherwise could not care less.

I thought he had a reasonable crack at it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:53 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree with Rod was poor yesterday
Another pre season will hopefully help but seemed to lack intensity yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 am 
Ken Hunter

99prelim wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
99prelim wrote:

It's an opinion I have. Has had two interrupted preseasons yet never been dropped, despite blocks of poor games

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 am 
Ken Hunter

@#$%&! phone!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Rexy wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Massive Qs on Weitering and SPS. They just don't seem to get Bolts' awesome gameplan

SPS quiet today but had a good month. No Qs on him.

I have one.
He NEVER takes the long option. Even his shot at goal ended up in no score because he didn't want to have a shot from 40 out and passed it to a turnover instead.
He rarely takes the obvious option. Tries the flashy stuff too much.
He has the skills but he often makes the players up field work too hard.

Just not true.

4:58 to go in the first quarter he runs his guts out to get separation on his man, received the handball from Dow in full stride and puts it lace out into Harry's chest inside 50. Nothing flashy. Great F50 entry.

One minute to go in the first his effort to hedge between two men and then lay a great tackle to free the ball to Simo who goals. Nothing flashy. Great tackle.

I thought he was pretty good today and rewatched only the first quarter this morning and that's what I noticed from him in the first. Only 9 disposals for the day is less than we want from him so I suppose it was a bit of a quiet day. But 77% efficiency and 6 tackles indicates he was OK.

If people think a bloke with that stat line deserves to be dropped with what we have sitting in the twos then you are crazy :donk:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:53 am 
Harry Vallence

I'd have had Byrne best on ground.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:37 am 
Geoff Southby

Dunkley,Hunter,Bontompelli,Macrae.........killed in the clearances.Stampede out of the guts.............thats the game right there.When our midfielders get that much of the ball we will match it and not before.Our kids need to find more of the footy and quick.Gotta find ball winners in the draft and trade period............Our tells and spine is looking really good...Reckon Charles,Harry and Tommy will be a fearsome sight when they get regular supply.Just didn't come in enough or quick enough.............
Having said all that i reckon we tried our guts out and played with great spirit.Adress the glaring deficiency in the on ball brigade and we will have a very good competitive side.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:06 am 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
That was a game that showed how bad our coaching is. After 3 years our system of moving the ball going forward is the worst I've seen anywhere. Our players have ability for sure but are being let down by that. Other sides go forward with a structure that can often open other sides up, we have no idea. That cost a quite a decent win. Instead another loss to an ordinary side. One of the most frustrating defeats I've come across. Loved the competitiveness but we want more than that after 3 years. Enough is enough!

Bet a decent coach could sort alot of that in a preseason. They love the ability at their disposal.

Not even half our players have been on the list 3 years ago, and only 12 players yesterday have been on the list back then.

Of those 12 players, 5 have played less than 25 games at the start of the season and have had interrupted seasons and not participated in all training drills.

You are asking an awful lot from a coach that has more players come through the door than any other team, never had his best team play together and has lost experienced players through trade and injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:16 am 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
Dunkley,Hunter,Bontompelli,Macrae.........killed in the clearances.Stampede out of the guts.............thats the game right there.When our midfielders get that much of the ball we will match it and not before.Our kids need to find more of the footy and quick.Gotta find ball winners in the draft and trade period............Our tells and spine is looking really good...Reckon Charles,Harry and Tommy will be a fearsome sight when they get regular supply.Just didn't come in enough or quick enough.............
Having said all that i reckon we tried our guts out and played with great spirit.Adress the glaring deficiency in the on ball brigade and we will have a very good competitive side.

They are all agile talls. Harry has some moves for a guy his size. We need Pickett, Lang and LeBois (longshot I think) to start to lock the ball in there with their pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 am 
Harry Vallence

toddkurnski wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

They are all agile talls. Harry has some moves for a guy his size. We need Pickett, Lang and LeBois (longshot I think) to start to lock the ball in there with their pressure.

As short we are on mids, we are also desperately short on small forwards. We have no quality smalls in our forward line at all, and it would be fair to say that when we fix our mids shortage we will also fix our small forward issues as we can rest our mids in the forward line giving us some quality smalls to compliment our good tall stocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:58 am 
Harry Vallence

Steve_C7 wrote:
jim wrote:
That was a game that showed how bad our coaching is. After 3 years our system of moving the ball going forward is the worst I've seen anywhere. Our players have ability for sure but are being let down by that. Other sides go forward with a structure that can often open other sides up, we have no idea. That cost a quite a decent win. Instead another loss to an ordinary side. One of the most frustrating defeats I've come across. Loved the competitiveness but we want more than that after 3 years. Enough is enough!

Bet a decent coach could sort alot of that in a preseason. They love the ability at their disposal.

Not even half our players have been on the list 3 years ago, and only 12 players yesterday have been on the list back then.

Of those 12 players, 5 have played less than 25 games at the start of the season and have had interrupted seasons and not participated in all training drills.

You are asking an awful lot from a coach that has more players come through the door than any other team, never had his best team play together and has lost experienced players through trade and injuries.

Well said Steve_C7. Agree with your analysis . :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
Just didn't come in enough or quick enough............
Except Daisy's run down the wing, low fast past to Harry on the lead

I almost cried watching that.. its what we have been missing... well... for years!!

Just need more of it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

Steve_C7 wrote:
jim wrote:

We still had a pretty decent side in there, one that is better than 3 wins from 31 games. What you say might be valid if it was year 1 or even 2 but by year 3 we should have an on-field system and structure in place. After 3 years we still have no clue how to move the ball into the F50 hence still kick 7.7. Injuries don't excuse that. Alot of sides with injuries this year who do that well albeit with a bit more depth. That was a few goal win lost because we are so poorly drilled.

After 3 years it's not harsh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

No amount of system is going to help if you don’t have strong, experienced midfielders winning the ball in the contests.

We only have one of those.

After we lose the ball in the contests we are chasing and not controlling.

You cant blame the coaches - you can blame the List Management.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next