Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Good posts Stef and Scott in terms of short term and longer term analysis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

At my first Blues game in about 4 years yesterday. Great stadium. Nice atmosphere.

I enjoyed the first half but figured that at any point if Freo got a 2 goal run on they would run away with it because our guys lack resilience to resist when a team gets a run on.

Poor decision making and terrible skills have characterised this team for many years now and continue to cost us key moments in matches.

Both of those issues - lack of resilience and poor execution of skill and decision making - are very much symptomatic of our captain. How can a captain demand of his players anything more on the field than he is capable of demanding of or delivering himself?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

It's pretty simple. We have natural inconsistencies with the youngsters. Then we have bushleague mature players. Result is losses almost every week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

KoRn wrote:
Murphy - 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested. This really is not acceptable for a senior player. Basically avoided a lot of contests, asking teammates to get the ball and pass the ball to him so he can have a kick.

He's being played outside at the moment. His body can't really cope with playing inside anymore. I'd like to see him lay more tackles. But he's currently our only creative midfielder who can find the ball in space. West Coast don't ask Gaff to play like Cripps. We shouldn't be asking Murph to. A lot of our good ball movement went through Murph.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We have a midfield comprising one ... we require around 10-12 A and B grade midfielders to be a competitive side ... Murph will be s lot more effective once we have an AFL standard midfield ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

There's lies, damn lies and statistics, but some pretty sobering stats in The Age match review today.

Carlton had an average of 8.5 games more experience per player than Freo. Carlton had seven players who were 27 years of age or older; Freo four. Carlton had eight players with fewer than 25 games experience; same for Freo including a debutant. The Carlton side boasted eight top 10 daft picks; Freo one.

Yes I know. "Look over there, GREEN SHOOTS!" but even so...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

cortez wrote:
There's lies, damn lies and statistics, but some pretty sobering stats in The Age match review today.

Carlton had an average of 8.5 games more experience per player than Freo. Carlton had seven players who were 27 years of age or older; Freo four. Carlton had eight players with fewer than 25 games experience; same for Freo including a debutant. The Carlton side boasted eight top 10 daft picks; Freo one.

Main difference being....our older players are generally utter shite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Here is the article - Now lets try and explain this away
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blu ... 4zx2t.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

This was all brought up last time they beat us. They were younger than us then. Less experienced than us then. More recently into their rebuild than us then. Big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:

It's no secret that Carlton's list is an imbalanced mess, comprising of heaps of kids and a group of older players who for the most part have been completely insipid this season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

It's no secret that Carlton's list is an imbalanced mess, comprising of heaps of kids and a group of older players who for the most part have been completely insipid this season.
So despite turning over 42 players in 3 years the list is still a mess

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Trust in SOS.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

Freo also finished top of the ladder 3 or 4 seasons ago so their more experienced players are obviously far better than ours. It's much easier to blood young players into what was once a near premiership quality team than a team whose best result in the past decade or so was a Steve Bradbury into 8th place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Silvagni has brought in ten players who in my opinion barring injury catastrophes will player 100+ games: Dow, O'Brien, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Fisher, Petreveski-Seton, J Silvagni, Marchbank, Williamson.

He's brought in another seven who potentially will: Kennedy, Kerr, Polson, Pickett, Garlett, Lang and Cuningham.

He's brought in another two who haven't played yet but both look promising: DeKoning, Schumacher.

Of these 19 players, only Garlett and Lang are over 21 years of age, and both are 22.

Last edited by verbs on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Great article
We do have a history of turning strawberry jam into shit

I’ll say it again
SOS ain’t the answer in my book
The list manager is the most important person at the club
And he is mates with the president
Pretty hard to turf a club legend
Who gives about 10 GWS guys a second chance along with
Gartlett
Lang
Mullet
O’Shea
His son isn’t up to it either
Too slow small

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cortez wrote:

Take that at face value and that would pretty easily suggest that Bolton isn't getting enough from the playing group.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Tongue wrote:
Crippa wrote:
bluedog wrote:
smithy wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

"Habits are actions that are repeated over and over again. We need to build good habits."
"Our players didn’t concentrate enough."
"the effort indicators were strong"

blah blah blah

We need another 5 year plan comrades.

The Bluerprint

Three selective quotes. Not sure they mean much without the context and everything else he said. I think his responses today were all very good.

The reality is he must answer the questions put to him. How would the three of you respond to the actual questions put to Bolton?

1. What went wrong the third quarter?

2. It's been a tough week so you would have been pleased with the first half, what were the positives?

3. You gave them a spray at 3/4 time, did that feel good?

4. How do you coach that going forward, the gap between the good of the first half and the bad of the third quarter?

5. It looks likely you'll get the wooden spoon, how do you feel about that?

The players are not responsive to his motivational or coaching skills. No amount of jargon can cover that up.
You cant have the number of lapses we have if you respect the coach and what he is trying to achieve.
His after match quotes all year have been lame excuses for himself, no one takes him seriously.

Speak for yourself.

Have a look at every other team's lapses too.

Players seemed to respond to his opening address of the game and to his last quarter's blast.

I understand what he's saying. Clearly.

...and on the blah blah blah...that's all I hear as a constant from the Carlton bashers. Only problem now, the noise isnt coming from he media, its coming from within.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

Ponkstar wrote:
Freo also finished top of the ladder 3 or 4 seasons ago so their more experienced players are obviously far better than ours. It's much easier to blood young players into what was once a near premiership quality team than a team whose best result in the past decade or so was a Steve Bradbury into 8th place.

Fyfe,Sandilands,Hamling,Matera,Stephen Hill didn't play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

cortez wrote:

this shit has been done to death

look at the age bracket between 22-27 i.e. guys into their 5th pre season minimum and entering their prime.
i think it was 6 to 12 in their favour and ours includes guys like Graham who is only playing due to injuries.
on top of this we have very limited senior quality at 28+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

"Habits are actions that are repeated over and over again. We need to build good habits."
"Our players didn’t concentrate enough."
"the effort indicators were strong"

blah blah blah

Fact of life. The majority of things you do in life are learned habits. It’s up to the individual to change them for the better if needed. Coaches or bosses can only do so much.

We're into the 3rd year and by now we should've had some habit forming structure players could lock into. There is none.

We have alot of very good young talent not sure the coach is going to get the best out of them. Next year, 4th year in, you'd expect we'd be good for something around 11 wins. Wouldn't be betting on getting that close. All I see is poor structure, and often poor effort, which are coaching issues. Can't get those going then you have no hope. Lack of effort often means the coach isn't getting through to the players.

I don't know what you believe jim....has he lost the players or are you suggesting he might be losing the players?

Either way, it looks like another snipe at a coach with a lot of wounded soldiers, and a bunch of cadets attempting their best to hold the front line. Unfortuanelty those cadets have never had a preseason prepare their body and mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next