Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

The side Brisbane fielded on the weekend averaged 5 more games experience than Collingwood too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

doofdoof wrote:
cortez wrote:
There's lies, damn lies and statistics, but some pretty sobering stats in The Age match review today.

Carlton had an average of 8.5 games more experience per player than Freo. Carlton had seven players who were 27 years of age or older; Freo four. Carlton had eight players with fewer than 25 games experience; same for Freo including a debutant. The Carlton side boasted eight top 10 daft picks; Freo one.

Yes I know. "Look over there, GREEN SHOOTS!" but even so...

this shit has been done to death

look at the age bracket between 22-27 i.e. guys into their 5th pre season minimum and entering their prime.
i think it was 6 to 12 in their favour and ours includes guys like Graham who is only playing due to injuries.
on top of this we have very limited senior quality at 28+

Less than 50 games Freo 11 Carlton 11
50 to 99 games Freo 5 Carlton 6
100 to 149 Freo 3 Carlton 1
150 plus Freo 3 carlton 4

average age Freo 24 years 3 months Carl 24years 9 months

Average games Freo 75.4 Carlton 83.9

Next excuse - and please don't tell me the players we had out were better than the ones they were missing

Carltons woeful season is not the playing list it is not the injuries it is coaching and development

Look at the season Bolton and the Club reacts to what is said in the papers and Media
We need to be more attacking - so we attack
we went to attacking so we go back defensive
Mackay not ready - where is mackay so Mackay plays - Mackay still not ready So Dropped - out cry again Mackay plays
Play zone defence -so we play it - then why aren't we man on man - so we go back to man on man
Where is the President - so the President fronts ups
where is the List manager - So list manager fronts up
Weiters should be dropped - no he shouldn't then he is dropped
SOS junior where is he at -so a week later dropped

and there are people around who think this is all part of a grand plan and they know what they are doing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 pm 
Bob Chitty

Scotty12000 wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:

The players are not responsive to his motivational or coaching skills. No amount of jargon can cover that up.
You cant have the number of lapses we have if you respect the coach and what he is trying to achieve.
His after match quotes all year have been lame excuses for himself, no one takes him seriously.

So that bake at 3/4 time got no response?

Try again.

"It’s not about how I feel - you don’t challenge players just because I’m emotional and I’m gonna serve into players” - Bolts nailed it. Wise words a few of our supporters could take, lose a bit of the over-hysterical ranting and gain a bit of logic and perspective of where we are at this moment and stop expecting the impossible at this moment in time.

Great post :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:55 pm 
Robert Walls

All these stats people are reeling off say nothing of what the list actually is.

Nobody over 25 is an A Grade footballer. It’s sad but true. We sold them all for young players and paying a price for that now in the short term.
Simpson, Murphy and Curnow are our top line older players. They are solid but not anywhere near A Grade. Kreuzer and Jones were very good last year but have been injured all year. That’s it. The rest are poor players. But that is not where the list is heading. It would be great to have a senior core to lead the way but we don’t. I think we have done poorly with our older recruits like Smedts and Shaw. But that’s another discussion.

Honest question, is there another team in the comp with a worse group of over 25’s? The Suns? Ours, they drag up our average but they aren’t quality. Nowhere near it.

The under 25 is where you have focus.

Of this list Docherty (fingers crossed he can get back to where he was) and Cripps are already A grade.

Dow
Curnow
McKay
SPS
Fisher
Weitering (I forgot he was only 20)

Will definitely be terrific players

Then there is a whole other core of youngsters who have shown enough in a few games to suggest they will be better than the Graham and Kerridge types

Cunningham
Marchbank
Plowman
Williamson
Kennedy
Pickett
Silvagni
Macreadie
Byrne
Lang

The rest are unknown quantities without enough evidence to know.

Would like to see more impact from Polson and O’Brien but they have time

The above are 20 players under 25. Only 5 have played more than 50 games.

TLDR
Our older players are poor footballers and likely the worst group of over 25s in the league

Our under 25s look good. It’s been a shitty 20 years but we at least have talent on the list. We need more midfielders and less injuries. 2018, football wise, can’t finish soon enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm 
Bob Chitty

Braithy wrote:
cortez wrote:
There's lies, damn lies and statistics, but some pretty sobering stats in The Age match review today.

Carlton had an average of 8.5 games more experience per player than Freo. Carlton had seven players who were 27 years of age or older; Freo four. Carlton had eight players with fewer than 25 games experience; same for Freo including a debutant. The Carlton side boasted eight top 10 daft picks; Freo one.

Take that at face value and that would pretty easily suggest that Bolton isn't getting enough from the playing group.

Exactly. According to Google, to take something at face value is "to believe that what the person is saying is truth and rather than looking into the detail. It's to not understand the bigger picture, motive or true reason."

Glad we would never judge and sack a coach based on face value.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blues2005 wrote:
Three out of the four quarters were decent. We actually got the ball inside 50 and gave ourselves a chance, but poor execution as always and not enough contribution across the board from having too many young/inexperienced players or players who simply aren't up to the level killed us.

This was about the 5th game this season where a side got a run on us for a period of the game and we didn't appear to do anything strategically to change things around. I cannot understand why we would not consider putting Charlie on the ball if we are going almost a whole quarter without getting the ball down forward. We seem content to have our second best player totally out of the action for long periods because we cannot get the ball to him. I agree that who9ever we moved forward would not be anywhere near as good, but leaving Charlie forward when the ball doesn't get to him is a real waste.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

toddkurnski wrote:
All these stats people are reeling off say nothing of what the list actually is.

Nobody over 25 is an A Grade footballer. It’s sad but true. We sold them all for young players and paying a price for that now in the short term.
Simpson, Murphy and Curnow are our top line older players. They are solid but not anywhere near A Grade. Kreuzer and Jones were very good last year but have been injured all year. That’s it. The rest are poor players. But that is not where the list is heading. It would be great to have a senior core to lead the way but we don’t. I think we have done poorly with our older recruits like Smedts and Shaw. But that’s another discussion.

Honest question, is there another team in the comp with a worse group of over 25’s? The Suns? Ours, they drag up our average but they aren’t quality. Nowhere near it.

Of this list Docherty (fingers crossed he can get back to where he was) and Cripps are already A grade.

Dow
Curnow
McKay
SPS
Fisher

Then there is a whole other core of youngsters who have shown enough in a few games to suggest they will be better than the Graham and Kerridge types

Cunningham
Marchbank
Plowman
Williamson
Kennedy
Pickett
Silvagni
Macreadie
Byrne
Lang

TLDR
Our older players are poor footballers and likely the worst group of over 25s in the league

Our under 25s look good. It’s been a shitty 20 years but we at least have talent on the list. We need more midfielders and less injuries. 2018, football wise, can’t finish soon enough.

:thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm 
Bob Chitty

Rexy wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:

Dow
Curnow
McKay
SPS
Fisher

Cunningham
Marchbank
Plowman
Williamson
Kennedy
Pickett
Silvagni
Macreadie
Byrne
Lang

TLDR

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

thanks todd

good analysis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crippa wrote:
Rexy wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:

Dow
Curnow
McKay
SPS
Fisher

Cunningham
Marchbank
Plowman
Williamson
Kennedy
Pickett
Silvagni
Macreadie
Byrne
Lang

TLDR

:thumbsup:
Why it is utter rubbish
Daisy was regarded as the best player in the game before he came to Carlton
Kruezer should have been AA last year
Murphy won coaches association award
And Simpson has probably been the most consistent backman for the past 10 years

Ed Curnow was regarded as the best tagger in the game

Cripps is the contested ball beast and clearance king

We have more 1st round draft picks than any other club

It is coaching and development that is our issue
The sooner they recognize this the better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

toddkurnski wrote:

Dow
Curnow
McKay
SPS
Fisher

Cunningham
Marchbank
Plowman
Williamson
Kennedy
Pickett
Silvagni
Macreadie
Byrne
Lang

Would like to see more impact from Polson and O'Brien but they have time

TLDR

Good post however I would consider Marchbank to be in the "will be terrific" category whilst I think you are being a little harsh on O'Brien who I think will be a quality player.
Furthermore Tom DeKoning by all reports is an exciting prospect even though he hasn't played senior footy yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:
Just read Brad Elborough's match report in The Age..............blow's the young inexperienced theory out of the water.If you believe his story then Freo was younger with less experience than us.The damning stat was that we had eight top ten picks compared to Freo's one being Adam Cerra............its a puzzle to me.

All good Mick. Nothing to see here. Another 3 to 5 top picks will set us up........keep the faith.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm 
Robert Walls

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
cortez wrote:

Main difference being....our older players are generally utter shite.

Exactly
I wish people would get that through their f...thick heads

Rexy put it well... our young players are inconsistent, but they are even more inconsistent and burdened because the older players are bush league. This means that they are now exhausted and cooked and need a break.

Rowe, Graham, Kerridge, Lamb, Wright, Thomas, O'Shea, Mullett, Casboult, Shaw are VFL
Murphy is not a captain's bootlace ...
Key injuries...(yes they are a genuine excuse, get over it if you believe they're not)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Just read Brad Elborough's match report in The Age..............blow's the young inexperienced theory out of the water.If you believe his story then Freo was younger with less experience than us.The damning stat was that we had eight top ten picks compared to Freo's one being Adam Cerra............its a puzzle to me.

All good Mick. Nothing to see here. Another 3 to 5 top picks will set us up........keep the faith.....

I"ll never lose faith Surrey.Ever..............but ya gotta admit Suzz,this mob take you to the brink...........Anyhow,thanks for the encouragement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I"ll never lose faith Surrey.Ever..............but ya gotta admit Suzz,this mob take you to the brink...........Anyhow,thanks for the encouragement.

I should have put this emoji :razz: .
Don’t worry pal. I’m with you. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:

Quote:
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says the club chose to trade Dale Thomas to Carlton after having doubts the midfielder would be able to return to full fitness.
"He really struggled with his body over the last two years and I wish him all the best, but we think there were enough question marks about it to allocate that many resources and funds from a salary cap perspective to those questions," Buckley said.
"I hope that [Daisy] gets over his ankle issues and that he is able to return to full fitness and I wish him all the best in that regard."

3 surgeries and 5 games in his last year at Collingwood. Even they knew he would never be the same player. He was broken when we got him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Quote:
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says the club chose to trade Dale Thomas to Carlton after having doubts the midfielder would be able to return to full fitness.
"He really struggled with his body over the last two years and I wish him all the best, but we think there were enough question marks about it to allocate that many resources and funds from a salary cap perspective to those questions," Buckley said.
"I hope that [Daisy] gets over his ankle issues and that he is able to return to full fitness and I wish him all the best in that regard."

3 surgeries and 5 games in his last year at Collingwood. Even they knew he would never be the same player. He was broken when we got him.
Not denying that but he was once an A grader and Daisy appears to have a positive influence on the younger players.

And he is playing on next year

I am just tired of every clutching at every straw going to justify how shit we are.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sydney Blue on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The first half and much of the last quarter we were well on top. How can you not be excited by some of what Dow did? Curnow and McKay? Petrevski-Seton? O'Brien's first half on Hill? No Fisher. No Weitering. Cripps doing Cripps. No Docherty.

Dow will be amazing. Can't put it together over four quarters this year. Watch out next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

toddkurnski wrote:

Dow
Curnow
McKay
SPS
Fisher

Cunningham
Marchbank
Plowman
Williamson
Kennedy
Pickett
Silvagni
Macreadie
Byrne
Lang

TLDR

Agree with a bit of that
But from what I have seen I am not a big wrap for
Some of the guys who you label as better than Kerridge and Graham
Plowman too slow shit kick provides no run out of defence
March bank average kick not the greatest footy brain
Cunningham and Pickett look a million dollars but do @#$%&! all
When they are out there
SOJ not good enough
Lang soft as warm butter
Kennedy slow average kick
Yep there young been injured but they would need to improve next year
I like Byrne reckon he would make a decent mid

Would like Schumacher and DeKoning be given a taste
And rookie Fisher and Palmer from the magoos at least

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

verbs wrote:
The first half and much of the last quarter we were well on top. How can you not be excited by some of what Dow did? Curnow and McKay? Petrevski-Seton? O'Brien's first half on Hill? No Fisher. No Weitering. Cripps doing Cripps. No Docherty.

Dow will be amazing. Can't put it together over four quarters this year. Watch out next year.

My vote is for the glass half full :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next