Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
verbs wrote:
The first half and much of the last quarter we were well on top. How can you not be excited by some of what Dow did? Curnow and McKay? Petrevski-Seton? O'Brien's first half on Hill? No Fisher. No Weitering. Cripps doing Cripps. No Docherty.

Dow will be amazing. Can't put it together over four quarters this year. Watch out next year.

My vote is for the glass half full :clap:

Ditto. It really just baffles me how some supporters can’t be excited about the potential - the “green shoots” are obvious every week! Lose the obsession with the win/loss, we’ve been brutalised this year from a list availability perspective and even still the future of the club in our young players is on display showing a lot of promise. If you can’t see that and have a clue where we’re heading, step away for a couple of years then jump back on the wagon and pretend you believed all along...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
The first half and much of the last quarter we were well on top. How can you not be excited by some of what Dow did? Curnow and McKay? Petrevski-Seton? O'Brien's first half on Hill? No Fisher. No Weitering. Cripps doing Cripps. No Docherty.

Dow will be amazing. Can't put it together over four quarters this year. Watch out next year.

:thanks: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:49 pm 
Garry Crane

Most exciting play in this game for me was seeing Paddy’s breakaway and run to set up Wright’s goal in the second. Again it illustrates his breakaway speed from a contest situation...only he should have nailed the goal himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
Lang soft as warm butter

Should be good on the spread.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/carlton-great-robert-walls-says-silvergrey-jumper-is-disgraceful-and-insipid/news-story/162b1cac1dc45cffe85953659f2371be

Quote:
CARLTON great Robert Walls says Blues fans are “embarrassed” by the team’s 2018 away guernsey which he describes as “disgraceful” and “insipid”.

“And someone at Carlton, show some strength and courage to say to the AFL, we’re not going to perform in a jumper that makes a mockery of our history.”

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I saw enough when things were going to plan to suggest we will be OK.
For me the puzzling thing was changing the way we played early back to the old chippy chippy shake ignoring the corridor both offensively and defensively. That's the habit we have to break.
I'm not going into the age profile debate. Take Simmo out of that list and the average age drops a year or two for a start.

We need two big midfielders right now who are ball magnets. Even if they waste a few, it is important that we get the ball going our way.
We have to get a ruckman right now. MK is cooked even without this health issue. I don't care if he was good last year. He has been ordinary this year. If the game is going to open up, we need a tap ruckman.
Wee need a decent run with injuries. We have players in the wings who would have got us over the line half a dozen times this year. People decrying the lack of consistency down back have to realize we have not had put best six on the park once for the wntire year and the fact we are playing O'Shea, Graham and Kerridge is a direct result of the fact pour entire backline has had no opportunity to gel as a unit.

Lapses in concentration happen to almost every team. Melbourne has one every second week where teams kick six or more unanswered goals but they have been good enough to get back.

I am optimistic that with a good run of injuries and a couple of decent ins to the list we will win games next year. I had hoped to be further along but it is what it is. The sky is not falling and BB is safe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lobbe,Phillips,TDK

The ruck position is fine

Midfielders, midfielders and more midfielders... all we need.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:
Lobbe,Phillips,TDK

The ruck position is fine

Midfielders, midfielders and more midfielders... all we need.

Lobbe wasn't even suppoed to play. he was recxruited as a VFL player and last option.
Phillips is good enough to make it if he can stay on the park, which has proven impossible for him all his career.
TDK looks exciting but I am not sure he'll be ready for the rigours of a whole season for a couple more years.
PLUS we need a project ruckman.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lobbe may have never been meant to play but since he has come in to the side he has been more than serviceable, very good actually.

Re: Phillips, hardly any of our players have been able to stay on the park but when fit he has shown signs

Re: Project Ruck.....TDK

Who knows what Krooz does

I dont think we need to waste a list spot on another ruckman, regardless of Krooz

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 am 
Craig Bradley

I agree. There's also Harry and Casboult who can help out. Too early for us to get another ruck in. We have other more pressing list priorities.

Also we need to be able to give our current rucks opportunities at VFL level, if they're ever actually all fit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
KoRn wrote:
Murphy - 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested. This really is not acceptable for a senior player. Basically avoided a lot of contests, asking teammates to get the ball and pass the ball to him so he can have a kick.

He's being played outside at the moment. His body can't really cope with playing inside anymore. I'd like to see him lay more tackles. But he's currently our only creative midfielder who can find the ball in space. West Coast don't ask Gaff to play like Cripps. We shouldn't be asking Murph to. A lot of our good ball movement went through Murph.

Good point.

That tells me, if that's the case (and I believe it is), then some of the critics of Murphy, and Bolton and Carlton, who find this unacceptable, then they have to show some patience and wait for that to change to happen in 2019....coz it aint going to happen in 2018

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Here is the article - Now lets try and explain this away
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blu ... 4zx2t.html

How about midfield experience

Fremantle 731 combined games
Carlton 440

Men vs boys at the coalface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am 
Bruce Doull

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Carlton 440

Begone, we don't deal with nuance here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 am 
Wayne Johnston

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Carlton 440

Yes but apart from that you can’t explain it away can you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:

Look at the season Bolton and the Club reacts to what is said in the papers and Media
We need to be more attacking - so we attack
we went to attacking so we go back defensive
Mackay not ready - where is mackay so Mackay plays - Mackay still not ready So Dropped - out cry again Mackay plays
Play zone defence -so we play it - then why aren't we man on man - so we go back to man on man
Where is the President - so the President fronts ups
where is the List manager - So list manager fronts up
Weiters should be dropped - no he shouldn't then he is dropped
SOS junior where is he at -so a week later dropped

I really like these things you bring up Sydney. Food for thought. In fact Helpful.

Not crazy about most of your other dogmatic arguments, as I don't like the finger pointing and the statistical evidence you indulge to prove a point because it smells of a style Federal Politicians use to sway the public.

But I can't argue with the above. I'm digesting it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:

Brad Elborough is a Western Australian Freelance journalist.

He writes articles hoping some media outlet buys it.

Its a badly written puff piece for West Australians.

He is not highly regarded. A simpleton...and so easy to rip into him

He mentions losing their player before the bounce, and not till the end of his imbalanced article does he mention losing Kreuzer before the game and the possible importance he may have played.

Does he mention the players we have missing?
Does he praise anyone at Carlton? Does he say anything damning about our mature players?
Who cares? Who is giving this writer praise?

What he is saying is Freo's win was against the odds for a west australian audience.

Given its been published in SMH/ The Age....I wonder who decided to pay a sixpence to this desperate journo... for this article?...for an Eastern seaboard publication?... :sly:

If you value this writer (and my 10yo won an International writing contest too), you've either got rocks in your head, and easily convinced, or you are anti Carlton...like some at The Age...who haven't said boo against Carlton for the last 2 weeks...well since that tragic interview with SOS.

I wonder why? ... No I don't!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 am 
Harry Vallence

sinbagger wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Carlton 440

Yes but apart from that you can’t explain it away can you?

Hi Sinners, haven't seen you around for a while.

I won't try to explain it as it would be an excuse and some people accept there are excuses in life and others don't.

Unlike hospital chaser lawyers, I accept that there are accidents in life and I am comfortable of the direction the list is heading.

I also understand the challenge that Bolts has and get a little frustrated with posters that say he has had 3 years to coach the team when the majority have only been on the list a year or so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:00 pm 
Robert Walls

bluedog wrote:
keogh wrote:
Lang soft as warm butter

Should be good on the spread.

underappreciated post this one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Carlton 440

That's not necessary.

Doesn't suit the argument.

Stop making sense.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
verbs wrote:

:thanks: :clap:

There is blue skies if you want to look.

No one, even Bolton is saying the list mix is right, or there are no areas we need to address over the next preseason, but at least the gaps they acknowledge have been identified and communicated to the members and supporters...and most importantly can be fixed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next