Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

bluedog wrote:
smithy wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

"Habits are actions that are repeated over and over again. We need to build good habits."
"Our players didn’t concentrate enough."
"the effort indicators were strong"

blah blah blah

We need another 5 year plan comrades.

The Bluerprint

Three selective quotes. Not sure they mean much without the context and everything else he said. I think his responses today were all very good.

The reality is he must answer the questions put to him. How would the three of you respond to the actual questions put to Bolton?

1. What went wrong the third quarter?

2. It's been a tough week so you would have been pleased with the first half, what were the positives?

3. You gave them a spray at 3/4 time, did that feel good?

4. How do you coach that going forward, the gap between the good of the first half and the bad of the third quarter?

5. It looks likely you'll get the wooden spoon, how do you feel about that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Murphy - 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested.
This really is not acceptable for a senior player. Basically avoided a lot of contests, asking teammates to get the ball and pass the ball to him so he can have a kick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:34 pm 
Bob Chitty

KoRn wrote:
Murphy - 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested.
This really is not acceptable for a senior player. Basically avoided a lot of contests, asking teammates to get the ball and pass the ball to him so he can have a kick.

I'd accept it if more of his kicks were damaging.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:00 am 
Horrie Clover

Crippa wrote:
bluedog wrote:
smithy wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

"Habits are actions that are repeated over and over again. We need to build good habits."

blah blah blah

The Bluerprint

Three selective quotes. Not sure they mean much without the context and everything else he said. I think his responses today were all very good.

The reality is he must answer the questions put to him. How would the three of you respond to the actual questions put to Bolton?

2. It's been a tough week so you would have been pleased with the first half, what were the positives?

4. How do you coach that going forward, the gap between the good of the first half and the bad of the third quarter?

The players are not responsive to his motivational or coaching skills. No amount of jargon can cover that up.
You cant have the number of lapses we have if you respect the coach and what he is trying to achieve.
His after match quotes all year have been lame excuses for himself, no one takes him seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:04 am 
John James

The_Cranium wrote:
I can't believe we lost. I really thought we'd win this week... oh wait no I didn't.

The 7 goal run was shit. No denying that. Problem is these kids go into their shell when a team gets a couple of quick goals because I'm sure they just think he were go again and feel completely overwhelmed and powerless to stop it. That starts to stop as the playing group matures.

I understand the frustration at some of the blokes running around for us. Graham is player 30 something on our list. As is Kerridge. So too the likes of Rowe, O'Shea, Mullet, etc. There are reasons they're getting games. Sure not because Bolton thinks they're the way forward.

Half the side are kids of varying degrees of promise and potential. Some more advanced than others. Then in the middle of all that is about 4 or 5 blokes (maybe) who are at a decent afl level and can perform at the required level consistently. 1 of them has been out for 12 months. 2 are in their twilight. Apart from Cripps we have no one in that zone of reaching their peak this year

So am I disappointed to lose today? Yep. Every loss burns and watching plebs like Graham and Kerridge turn it over and stuff it up ad nauseam is galling. Did I expect something different? Nope. Am I going lose my shit over it? No.

2 more weeks and the season from hell ends. I have to believe this is rock bottom. I keep seeing improvements. They're there each week. You have to sift through a lot of shit to see it. You have to put up with those quarters and sometimes fill games. Its nearly over. Stay the course. Endure. Hope starts again 26th August

Great post!

But I'm still pissed of with our second half today!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue Tongue wrote:
Crippa wrote:
bluedog wrote:
smithy wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

blah blah blah

The Bluerprint

The players are not responsive to his motivational or coaching skills. No amount of jargon can cover that up.
You cant have the number of lapses we have if you respect the coach and what he is trying to achieve.
His after match quotes all year have been lame excuses for himself, no one takes him seriously.

How on earth do so many people think what a coach says to a bunch of media asking him specific questions after a game is the same as what he says to the players???? Be serious. What better answers should have given to the post match media questions? What "jargon" did he use last night?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:39 am 
Bob Chitty

Rexy wrote:
Could’ve played Kerr up forward and played Charlie upfield instead of Graham.
Mullets a better player than Kerridge as well.

Kerr up forward and Charlie up the ground is an OK suggestion but Mullet for Kerridge is 6 in one and half a dozen in the other. No real improvement there.

The Northern Blues had a win and the listed best were: Fisher, O’Shea, Casboult, Mullett, De Koning, Wilson.

So we can complain all we want about people like Graham, Kedge, Polson, etc but the cupboard is bare my friends and we all know why. No harm giving TDK a run in the last two I guess simply for development/experience.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am 
formerly King Kenny

BlueDW wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
2 games until Doc and a host of players are back, plus draft and preseason. Looking positive again :-)

Who is this host of players you are talking about? Pray that there is half a dozen good afl level mids in that group, if not, well lets just say that things aren't improving in the near future! Just on that, I've been reading on here for years about how underwhelming Gibbs has been over the last decade, I'm guessing right now that Cripps wishes he didn't leave!

Kreuzer, Plowman, Doc, Kennedy, Willo, Cuningham, Fisher, Weitering all best 22.

Add preseasons to most of the players and if you can’t be excited, give it up for a year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 am 
formerly King Kenny

Blue Tongue wrote:
Bolton hanging on by a fingernail, pressure mounting, another disaster, 7 goals unanswered, players NFI what to do.

We select two ruck men then replace one with a rover :screwy: its complete bedlam! What happened to the game plan to go in tall??

Here come the Bolts cliches....wow he is a great teacher :lol:

Did Bolts day we are playing tall?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 am 
formerly King Kenny

Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

blah blah blah

Fact of life. The majority of things you do in life are learned habits. It’s up to the individual to change them for the better if needed. Coaches or bosses can only do so much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 am 
formerly King Kenny

Blue Tongue wrote:
Crippa wrote:
bluedog wrote:
smithy wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

blah blah blah

The Bluerprint

So that bake at 3/4 time got no response?

Try again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 am 
Harry Vallence

The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:

Try again.

"It’s not about how I feel - you don’t challenge players just because I’m emotional and I’m gonna serve into players” - Bolts nailed it. Wise words a few of our supporters could take, lose a bit of the over-hysterical ranting and gain a bit of logic and perspective of where we are at this moment and stop expecting the impossible at this moment in time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Absolutely agree a bake at 3/4 time is not going to turn the proverbial into strawberry jam.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:44 am 
Ken Hunter

Scotty12000 wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:

Try again.

"It’s not about how I feel - you don’t challenge players just because I’m emotional and I’m gonna serve into players” - Bolts nailed it. Wise words a few of our supporters could take, lose a bit of the over-hysterical ranting and gain a bit of logic and perspective of where we are at this moment and stop expecting the impossible at this moment in time.

I'm not sure a quarter we got outscored 7 goals to nothing is the right context to be talking about "not expecting the impossible". :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 am 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:

Try again.

I'm not sure a quarter we got outscored 7 goals to nothing is the right context to be talking about "not expecting the impossible". :D

I feel that with the skeleton crew we have at the moment at the tail end of a long season consisting of tired young bodies, third rate depth matures and little other options fit and available, it's inevitable that the focus and execution under fatigue won't be consistent. I choose to think of the first half and the final quarter to some extent as more indicative of what we'll show next season with a full fit list and more development into our young players. They are learning, they will continue to learn. Hopefully some supporters learn a thing or two in the off season too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am 
Geoff Southby

Scotty12000 wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:

Try again.

I feel that with the skeleton crew we have at the moment at the tail end of a long season consisting of tired young bodies, third rate depth matures and little other options fit and available, it's inevitable that the focus and execution under fatigue won't be consistent. I choose to think of the first half and the final quarter to some extent as more indicative of what we'll show next season with a full fit list and more development into our young players. They are learning, they will continue to learn. Hopefully some supporters learn a thing or two in the off season too.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

The Normal One wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:
The oracle in action

blah blah blah

Fact of life. The majority of things you do in life are learned habits. It’s up to the individual to change them for the better if needed. Coaches or bosses can only do so much.

We're into the 3rd year and by now we should've had some habit forming structure players could lock into. There is none.

We have alot of very good young talent not sure the coach is going to get the best out of them. Next year, 4th year in, you'd expect we'd be good for something around 11 wins. Wouldn't be betting on getting that close. All I see is poor structure, and often poor effort, which are coaching issues. Can't get those going then you have no hope. Lack of effort often means the coach isn't getting through to the players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

If next year we finish bottom 4 again. Say 6 to 7 wins it would be good progress, compared to 2 wins such a dismal performance 2018 will equal our worst ever form in our proud history. We've truly hit bottom. August 26 th can't come fast enough.
Let's add more young talent and a few quality mature bodied footballers in mid 20s.
2020 will be our impact time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Good 1st half. Gave ourselves a chance. Last quarter pretty good too. Margin a little misleading.
Not sure why we even picked Kreuzer. But pleased we're finally starting to be more conservative in his management.
Cripps, Murph, Thomas, SPS, Lobbe, Simmo and Lamb.
Another game into the forward partnership of Charlie and Harry. Going to enjoy them for the next decade. Our very own Buddy and Roughead combination.
Dow. Every week he does more and more things that get me excited.
Love Harry's tackling intensity, when he actually gets close enough to tackle.
Good to see Pickett and Byrne get a little more of it.
Lang shows enough. Just needs to get really fit.
Didn't get it much. But glimpses of LOB's elite foot skills.

Cons:

3rd quarter. I know we're short on numbers, but we're far too easy to score against once we lose control. Good to see the coach give them a public 'bake'.
Got beaten again by Neale. Not sure if that's on Ed, or the coaching panel.
The inevitable home crowd umpiring 'correction' in the 2nd half.
Never seem to get much luck with the goal review system. Can't wait till they get rid of it.
Feel sorry for Graham. He found more ball than he sometimes does. But he just makes really poor decisions at AFL level.
Kerridge is a little better. But only a little.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Just read Brad Elborough's match report in The Age..............blow's the young inexperienced theory out of the water.If you believe his story then Freo was younger with less experience than us.The damning stat was that we had eight top ten picks compared to Freo's one being Adam Cerra............its a puzzle to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next