Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ess ... 4zwlb.html

Essendon* proposes Good Friday eve blockbuster against Carlton for 2019

Essendon* want to play Carlton in a blockbuster on Good Friday eve next season in a timeslot they believe will add another dimension to one of the competition's biggest rivalries.

In a submission to the AFL, Essendon* have requested a home game at the MCG on Good Friday eve in 2019 and offered to tie the event into launching the traditional Good Friday appeal that occurs the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Big tick from me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-proposes-good-friday-eve-blockbuster-against-carlton-for-2019-20180809-p4zwlb.html

In a submission to the AFL, Essendon** have requested a home game at the MCG on Good Friday eve in 2019 and offered to tie the event into launching the traditional Good Friday appeal that occurs the next day.

Would have thought they’d have requested an off site venue.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

They can play for the Andrew Carrazzo broken scapula cup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am 
Bruce Doull

That epic 2001 win over them was on Good Friday eve.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 am 
John James

CK95 wrote:

I was going to say I was pretty sure we played them on Good Friday eve a few times around the early 2000's. If I remember correctly Matty Lappin's mark of the year was on Good Friday eve as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:24 am 
Geoff Southby

This is the round before anzac day next year so you'd expect this request to be granted.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 am 
Craig Bradley

I'm not sure I want this to become a regular thing. Essendon* have more than enough showcase games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Effes wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-proposes-good-friday-eve-blockbuster-against-carlton-for-2019-20180809-p4zwlb.html

In a submission to the AFL, Essendon*** have requested a home game at the MCG on Good Friday eve in 2019 and offered to tie the event into launching the traditional Good Friday appeal that occurs the next day.

Would have thought they’d have requested an off site venue.

:lol:
'Shootup at the G.'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Smart request by the Bombres, who seem to have done some astute forward planning.

In 2019, this game would guarantee them a full weeks rest (Thurs - Thurs) leading into the ANZAC Day clash.

In 2020, ANZAC Day falls on a Saturday, meaning it's highly unlikely they are getting a stand alone game that day. This game would fall 2 weeks prior.

ANZAC Day is a Sunday game in 2021, while the proposed Maundy Thursday clash would be April 1. A Round 2 clash.

I'm somewhat intrigued that they haven't requested Good Friday with the Kangaroos. I'm not against it - but I'm not for it either. I think a large crowd goes without saying along with good ratings, but if its their home game beyond 2019, then it's a no from me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 am 
John Nicholls

I like it, provided we switch which club has home/away every year just as we do with the season opener against Richmond.

We'd have the season opener and Good Friday eve locked down as regular showcase games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sounds really good to me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I like it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Brently8 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I was going to say I was pretty sure we played them on Good Friday eve a few times around the early 2000's. If I remember correctly Matty Lappin's mark of the year was on Good Friday eve as well.

I was at that game, hard to believe it was 17 years ago.
Sounds like a good idea, if Essendon* want it then it will probably happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'd like to see the Good Friday slot be given to the reigning premier who can then pick an opponent of their choosing for that year.

Another little bonus for the premiership side, who can then use that advantage in a number of different ways. Do you try to leverage it to get the best gate deal out of a side desperate to feature on a prominent timeslot? Do you use it to gain an extra 4 points by trying to ensure you play a particular team twice?

Either way, we're in with a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

If Bruce will be calling the game I hope we don't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Quote:
GABBA SET TO HOST EASTER PIES NIGHT
BRISBANE Lions and Collingwood are the frontrunners to play on Easter Thursday next year.

The Lions’ proposal to host Collingwood at the Gabba has the Magpies’ support and would allow Pies fans to travel north for the Easter weekend.

Essendon* has put in a submission to host Carlton at the MCG on Easter Thursday in a fixture the Bombers say can ­reinvigorate the rivalry ­between the clubs.

A potential roadblock for Essendon*’s proposal would be the AFL handing Carlton a marquee game after five losses in five games in those timeslots this year.

Besides the incorrect use of Easter Thurs, this is the latest from the Sun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

buzzaaaah wrote:
Quote:
GABBA SET TO HOST EASTER PIES NIGHT
BRISBANE Lions and Collingwood are the frontrunners to play on Easter Thursday next year.

The Lions’ proposal to host Collingwood at the Gabba has the Magpies’ support and would allow Pies fans to travel north for the Easter weekend.

Essendon** has put in a submission to host Carlton at the MCG on Easter Thursday in a fixture the Bombers say can ­reinvigorate the rivalry ­between the clubs.

A potential roadblock for Essendon**’s proposal would be the AFL handing Carlton a marquee game after five losses in five games in those timeslots this year.

Besides the incorrect use of Easter Thurs, this is the latest from the Sun

Oh well, there goes that idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jon Ralph reckons Saints have lost Good Friday...to be replaced by.....Carlton!

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/sta ... 80320?s=19

Last edited by Navy Blue Horse on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mutiny?

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next