Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

A perfect storm.....most talented team in the comp on the up after a tough year vs one of the worst lists decimated by injury and cocky after beating up on a fellow cellar dweller. Really was like an intra club with the seniors taking on the ressies guys.

I thought O'Shite played his last game the last time he played but here he is again stinkin up the place again. They simply cannot play him ever again no matter what the situation. Polson I can forgive but it is a worry how bad he was today.

Big H can really move. He was the only shining light on yet another dim dark day in the worst ever season for this once proud club.

I said it a few weeks back but I'll say it again......one more year of this and we are Fitzroy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

The_Cranium wrote:
Unbelievably Gold Coast are in an even worse space than we are.

Only difference is they are fighting out the game. 51pts down at qtr time, "just" 70 now although Melbourne have relaxed the pressure. Contrast that to us. We give up and let a side outscore us 7 goals to 1 with 16 men on the ground. They took one off the ground, going from 17 to 16, just to give him a rest and a rubdown. They treated us like idiots.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hornet wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
People have already lost interest in NEXT year.Thats the problem with a woeful performance like that at this time of year.It saps all enthusiasm for next season.

I lose interest in "next year", at this time, every year... but I always renew early in the new year... but this year I've finally had it... I think

I feel the exact opposite way.
Cannot wait to see what we bring next year. All the injured ones back plus the new recruits. I expect us to progress way quicker than others might expect.
We will have a fab defence, we already have a hugely promising forward line and obviously we will recruit mid field help.
Bring it on!!
I t doesn't excuse lack of effort and spirit in the last today but it makes me totally want to get to next season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

bluegirl72 wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
People have already lost interest in NEXT year.Thats the problem with a woeful performance like that at this time of year.It saps all enthusiasm for next season.

I lose interest in "next year", at this time, every year... but I always renew early in the new year... but this year I've finally had it... I think

Cannot wait to see what we bring next year. All the injured ones back plus the new recruits. I expect us to progress way quicker than others might expect.
We will have a fab defence, we already have a hugely promising forward line and obviously we will recruit mid field help.
Bring it on!!
I t doesn't excuse lack of effort and spirit in the last today but it makes me totally want to get to next season.

We need someone to get the best out of them otherwise it won't matter how good they are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

That last quarter was unacceptable. Fancy having more players and still getting belted.

Agree AFL need to give GC and CFC early PPicks. The good teams get quality FAs, the lowly sides need something. I don't understand how the AFL are allowed to get away with the current FA set up. It simply doesn't work. This is supposed to be a professional competition and business. Lowly clubs should look at legal avenues as the FA set up is as crooked as it gets.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluegirl72 wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Bring it on!!

I'm with you BG.

As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't care less if we got pumped for the last 3 games of the year. Especially if get pick #2 as compo.

If we are getting flogged like today with virtually nil injuries next year I will start to worry a little bit. But not too much as I know we still have a few years to go to be any where near a GWS side.

#Realist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

Paddycripps wrote:
That last quarter was unacceptable. Fancy having more players and still getting belted.

Agree AFL need to give GC and CFC early PPicks. The good teams get quality FAs, the lowly sides need something. I don't understand how the AFL are allowed to get away with the current FA set up. It simply doesn't work. This is supposed to be a professional competition and business. Lowly clubs should look at legal avenues as the FA set up is as crooked as it gets.

This. But the thing about that is that this is the way it is.

And teams like North and Essendon* have been in similar circumstances, yet have put themselves in a much better position to snatch FA because they didn't decimate their list.

We spent too much effort delisting blokes like Everitt, Buckley and Hollman to bring in blokes like Oshea and Mullet and Shaw.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Bring it on!!

Admire your positive view but think you're overrating the list.
A lot of our so called talent are injury prone and not progressing.
And we also lack depth especially in the 22-27 age bracket.
These things cannot be fixed swiftly.
We have a looooooooooong way to go I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The_Cranium wrote:
The AFL have a major problem on their hands. Free agency and getting rid of pre first round priority picks is only serving to increase the divide between the bottom clubs and the rest. They thought the idea that a team might put a weaker side on the park to ensure an extra pick was a bad look for the game. Watching clubs perennially in the doldrums is far worse for the game whilst others maintain their top 8 appearances year after year by feasting on these clubs' carcasses. The AFL need to get serious and give carlton and GC picks 1 and 2 as priority picks. Not this bullshit end of round 1 picks that do nothing

POY

THIS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Hornet wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

We can all pray.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Duke wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

This. But the thing about that is that this is the way it is.

And teams like North and Essendon** have been in similar circumstances, yet have put themselves in a much better position to snatch FA because they didn't decimate their list.

We spent too much effort delisting blokes like Everitt, Buckley and Hollman to bring in blokes like Oshea and Mullet and Shaw.

So............are you saying we've traded like for like?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Disgraceful last quarter.
I almost stayed to the end.
Good to see Harry have a good game, he should have kicked 5 goals. Hope he gets the rising star nomination this week.
Just unacceptable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

You know things are getting bad when the people who give you shit all the time about our performance no longer even bother...just happened to me today.

We are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
Was prepared to cop a 10-12 goal loss based on the teams, but that last quarter FMD.

O’Shea and Graham papers stamped you’d think.

But the biggest failing today was mindset. Some serious concrete needs to be fed to these guys in their protein shakes.

No doubt the high draft picks of the GWS are 4-5 years of development ahead of the Blues. That stood out.

I honestly didn't know O'Shea was that far away from being an AFL player.

Graham...a fantastic VFL player, ais obviously too slow for AFL.

Polson, too small to have too few tricks

Injury list is HUGE for a team lacking depth.

Gosh GWS are quick all over the ground and they take on the game and their opponents at all costs.

Players will learn from that. They know firsthand what they will need to work on the level they need to get their leg speed, strength and stamina. It will take a couple of years, but if they want success, they know where they have to get to.

We looked really small.

I though Marchbank looked a bit underdone and slow, or his opponent Himmelberg or Coniglio were just too quick.

I can't believe, if I'm right, we weren't prepared to give GWS a First Rnd Pick for Tomlison, but happy to do so for Marchbank Plowman and Kennedy....and Jaksch (but Jaksch was before SOS' time).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Hopper, Ward, Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio, Green and possibly Deledio.
Any of them would be our best or second best midfielder. Some cant even make it into their midfield. We were smashed at ground balls all day.
I thought the coaches did as well as can be expected with both hands tied behind their backs. We were massively outclassed.
I'd suggest maybe 5 of our players would have got a game in their team today. They were awesome and I hope they win the flag. Josh Kelly is an absolute jet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Hopper, Ward, Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio, Green and possibly Deledio.
Any of them would be our best or second best midfielder. Some cant even make it into their midfield. We were smashed at ground balls all day.
I thought the coaches did as well as can be expected with both hands tied behind their backs. We were massively outclassed.
I'd suggest maybe 5 of our players would have got a game in their team today. They were awesome and I hope they win the flag. Josh Kelly is an absolute jet.

He is amazing isn't he. Not just a great runner and smooth mover but a sublime kick too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

No Scully, Shiel, Griffin, talk about depth.
We need five more mids and we have just one early pick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Bring it on!!

I feel the same.

Preseason = increase strength and stamina = speed too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:

ABSOLUTELY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
No Scully, Shiel, Griffin, talk about depth.
We need five more mids and we have just one early pick.

Then we have to Trade.

Our Kennedy for their Shiel. That's fair.

GWS wouldnt moiss Shiel.

In that case, pick 22 for Hopper

Pick 1, 2019 for Kelly

....are we there yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next