Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dominator_7 wrote:
The Duke wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Good listen, he makes the point that he was in the same situation back in 2005! Says many people outside of footy are too quick to judge clubs simply on match results. Says there is so much more to a successful club and that we seem to be getting all the off-field stuff right.

1. 2005 was his 1st year as coach
2. He won 5 games, not 1
3. in his 3rd year they finished with 14 wins and played finals
4. He's a mate of Bolts'.

Did they have 10 years of shit recruiting they had to make up for as well over that time ?
And bemoaning the loss of Buckley, Hollman, and Gowers... really.... nobody blinked an eyelid when we got rid of them.... if we hadn't had so many injuries, you wouldn't even have remembered their names.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

People aren’t sad about this are they?

Nothing to be sad about.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

Murphy had 35 disposals today, but did he do much?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:

Nothing to be sad about.

I’m flowering depressed over our situation. I’m actually raging with anger.
I’ve however come to the conclusion, that the ‘experts’ believe we are building beautifully and everything is going to plan, so I sleep, knowing we are in good hands. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Nothing to be sad about.

I’m flowering depressed over our situation. I’m actually raging with anger.
I’ve however come to the conclusion, that the ‘experts’ believe we are building beautifully and everything is going to plan, so I sleep, knowing we are in good hands. :lol:

Exactly. Because when it all turns to shit, these non-Carlton supporters just shrug and say 'oh well. Sucks to be Carlton'.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Hard work sitting at Etihad surrounded by hawk fans. We actually matched them in most areas and in the first we got loads of holding the ball but our disposal is deplorable and theirs is impeccable. We just continually turned it over. Seemed to have no idea what to do to move the ball forward. Kennedy good, LOB runs and works hard. Weitering very good. But the players lack synergy. Crazy playing McKay casboult and lobbe. If Harry plays Levi doesn't. Wright has been handy but looks gone. Must hold the ball in the forward fifty. Gee I wish mitch r still played for us. Badly need a crazy kamikaze, need someone with some mongrel. I wonder if there is a Fraser Brown in the draft? Not sure if I can watch any more beatings. Season can't end soon enough.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Turnover kings.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 pm 
Bob Chitty

Shaw's best game for us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 pm 
Horrie Clover

Another shambolic day, 3 shots at goal in the first half worse than the Freo game.
We could not possibly win another game this season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Tongue wrote:
Another shambolic day, 3 shots at goal in the first half worse than the Freo game.
We could not possibly win another game this season.

Only chance of us winning a game is to take risks early and for them to pay off so we get a little confidence. Doesn't look like happening at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluedog wrote:

Didn’t notice him at all. He’s the invisible man.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Duke wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Good listen, he makes the point that he was in the same situation back in 2005! Says many people outside of footy are too quick to judge clubs simply on match results. Says there is so much more to a successful club and that we seem to be getting all the off-field stuff right.

1. 2005 was his 1st year as coach
2. He won 5 games, not 1
3. in his 3rd year they finished with 14 wins and played finals
4. He's a mate of Bolts'.

totally. it amazes me anyone here actually thinks clarko is doing anything more than paying lip service to a good mate who he knows is in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MIL wrote:
bluedog wrote:

he was the first one there to take down howe after he clipped cripps. in the wrestle it looked like he landed a sneaky one on howe's face too.

speaking of howe ... was it his trip on fisher, the contact that broke fish's leg? if it is, that will obviously end his season. howe should get a 5-6 week suspension. tagging cripps on the jaw and breaking fish's leg in seperate incidents. sheesh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:42 am 
Ken Hunter

Braithy wrote:
MIL wrote:
bluedog wrote:

he was the first one there to take down howe after he clipped cripps. in the wrestle it looked like he landed a sneaky one on howe's face too.

speaking of howe ... was it his trip on fisher, the contact that broke fish's leg? if it is, that will obviously end his season. howe should get a 5-6 week suspension. tagging cripps on the jaw and breaking fish's leg in seperate incidents. sheesh.

That was the incident with Fisher.
Has to get weeks surely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am 
Stephen Silvagni

The trip will be considered accidental and should have been a free kick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am 
Harry Vallence

I hope and pray we are on the right track, I think we are, next season will tell the tale. But I just can't bear to go to any more games this year, sitting there with my head in my hands after yet another terrible stuff up, I've had it. I can't even watch them on TV, it's finally broken me. When I came home from the Freo game my wife said "stop going, stop doing this to yourself", I'm a slow learner. Year after year bemoaning our terrible kicking skills, when will it change? I've just had enough for this year. Roll on 2019.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 am 
Harry Vallence

MIL wrote:
bluedog wrote:

Can't tackle
Can't mark
Can't run
Can't hit a target

& Cripps led the team off each quarter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:20 am 
Rod Ashman

verbs wrote:

For holding the ball?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:29 am 
Stephen Silvagni

DesEnglish wrote:
verbs wrote:

For holding the ball?

Are you serious??

Incorrect disposal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 am 
Rod Ashman

cortez wrote:
I hope and pray we are on the right track, I think we are, next season will tell the tale. But I just can't bear to go to any more games this year, sitting there with my head in my hands after yet another terrible stuff up, I've had it. I can't even watch them on TV, it's finally broken me. When I came home from the Freo game my wife said "stop going, stop doing this to yourself", I'm a slow learner. Year after year bemoaning our terrible kicking skills, when will it change? I've just had enough for this year. Roll on 2019.

It is more than difficult to watch. We all have our limits. I watched five-10 minutes of footage on tv and that was my limit, but within that ten minutes I saw an important point as raised by Gerard Healy, one of the best commentators in the game.

He said "I can't stand corralling" and that made me celebrate as that is something I have been thinking about for years. It is my NUMBER 1 pet hate of football today. Corralling.

The defender (I think it was Caleb Marchbank) had the option of tackling Roughhead or just corralling him near the boundary. The first option would have pressured him and made him either dispose the ball quickly and the second option gave Roughhead time to set up the kick he wanted.

Whoever is their tackling coach needs to be sacked. I looked at their other tackles...(admittedly in only 5-10 minutes of viewing) and it had no impact. Look at their hips, tackle them- if you get run around even after that, so be it. It is better than corralling a vacant space.

I think the lack of one on one footy makes them a non-physical type of team.

Look back 12 months.

Why did Carlton beat Hawthorn in 2017 - tackling was a big part of it. They pressured them. Even a small bloke like Pickett hammered Gunston. Smashing him to the ground when he tried to dodge him. It was morale lifting. He did another outstanding tackle later in same quarter. If a player of his size can do it-why not others?
Docherty- another great tackle 3rd quarter- around the hips, brought him to ground.
You can find 100 examples in the 3rd quarter alone. eg 1:10 left - Umpire calls play on. Curnow doesn't just "corrall" the space. He attacks the kicker, tackles him, brings him to ground. Gets a free kick. That is infectious. It adds to the intensity of a team.

It all begs the question -
What has happened to tackling in one year?

Other observations from the 2017 match.
Kerridge- his kicking skills are terrible. Not much has changed in 2018. Pressure acts-not great either in 2017 match.
Ciaran Byrne - has style. If he can come back fully fit could be important.
Silvagni - not effective. I hope things change in 2019.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next