Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 am 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Remind me which Country League Isaac Smith came from.

:lol:

I assume this is sarcasm, but for the sake of it:

Isaac Smith was drafted from North Ballarat - VFL.

Technically correct but he started the 2010 season playing for Redan in the Ballarat Football League, halfway through the year he was “encouraged” to go to North Ballarat, in the VFL.

I guess they wanted to see if he could handle VFL before AFL, it's a big risk if the Hawks knew he was going to be good and then showcase him in the VFL for other clubs.

Either way that is one player out of how many country league players, I think they call that a Hail Mary. But still, if he came to Carlton then he most likely would've not had the same development and notoriety.

It was actually us who encouraged him to go to the VFL - but you’re right about the development.

:thumbsup:

Well then, we couldn't have stuffed that up any more, lucky break for Isaac though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 am 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:
But All clubs neglect the strong country leagues too much

Sorry but I have to make comment on this.

Have you thought there is a reason "All" clubs neglect the "strong" country leagues?

Maybe they're just not as "strong" as you think, otherwise they'd "all" be drafting from there.

That’s such a simplistic narrow minded view
If you are doing a rebuild you are going to replace some mature
Bodies with more mature bodies

Have u seen a GFL game
Have you seen Stewart play

It’s a high standard on par with the VFL

Have a look at the success the stand alone VFL teams have had
Against other clubs with afl listed players

It’s the due diligence of our recruiting staff to find the best mature bodies
Out there
And how hard would it be to pay someone maybe ten grand a year to
Watch 2 games a weekend because of the close proximity of games
And throw in a cold beer and hot pie to boot

Clearly clubs don’t put much if any effort into this

It would be money well spent if you got one bloke
Better than some players on our list

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AIRCAV wrote:
Caro, just stop ok?

I’m reading about you “firing back at Carlton” after the drubbing you got Monday night.

Note: i haven’t listened to the clip on the 3AW app as I’d like to spare hearing your whiny voice so I’m relying on the quotes on the website.

“Silvagni accused Wilson of not returning a phone call over an article surrounding Steven Trigg's departure as chief executive.

She explained why on Tuesday night.

"I was angry," Wilson said on Sportsday.

"I felt the club had lied to me and certainly Mark LoGiudice had been less than honest with Steven Trigg."

You were angry????? You’re supposed to be a @#$%&! journalist! You made unsubstantiated allegations, and when one of the people involved in those allegations rang you to point out the facts, you didn’t because you were angry at one of the other people!

Retire now.

But of course, she then doubles down.

“She also dismissed suggestions from the Blues they "knew" they'd be this bad this season, given their list overhaul.

"I just don't buy that," she said.”

Soooo, you don’t buy it because you don’t believe it like you believed Sloan was coming home? Or were you angry ? Maybe miffed? A tad annoyed?

When did anyone at Carlton say that????

Go, just go

Lawrence Mooney highlighted this morning her backflip on the use of the word “henchmen” in this article.

In her 3AW radio spot with Dwayne Russell :roll: - they seriously tried to put over that Wilson was using the word in its historical context “a squire or page of honour to a person of rank”

Yeah right Ms Wilson.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 am 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:

Have you thought there is a reason "All" clubs neglect the "strong" country leagues?

Maybe they're just not as "strong" as you think, otherwise they'd "all" be drafting from there.

Have u seen a GFL game

Out there

It was simple for a reason but I guess someone with you level of intellect missed that one. :wink:

Yes I have seen him play, did you see Weltering play last year? He's been totally exposed this year mainly from lack of support on field (and injuries), unlike Stewart.

If the standard is so high then why are they not in the VFL and why aren't the non AFL affiliated teams in the VFL dominating the comp (I think you need to look at the ladder)?

I get your point on recruiting and due diligence, but do you honestly think that there are no recruiters (or their spies) watching all the state and country leagues around Australia.

Finally, did you even watch the interview as to why a lot of the players you think are worse then the GFL players were traded in? And if you think picking up one or two unproven (even in the VFL) GFL players would help us with all our injuries, then you need to stop smoking what you're growing in the country. :smoking:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 am 
Geoff Southby

Ockham's Razor wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Seriously Keogh, you're sooking about a player that was selected with the last pick in the @#$%&! draft!
Yes Geelong selected Tom Stewart. They also gave up pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, a first round pick for Lachlan Henderson, 2 third rounders for Zac Smith and a late pick for Aaron Black.

It's an inexact science and if you think having Cam O'Shea as our 42nd player impacts on our list to any reasonable extent, you need to give it away. If there are so many gems running around in the bush, where are they?
You've given us Tom Stewart and who? If Cam O'Shea was running around in the bush, he'd be far superior to 99.5% of the players there.
He's there to provide leadership and a bigger body to protect the kids. Get some perspective.

I actually think Geelong and Hawthorn are going about things the wrong way
To win a flag you pretty much have to start from the ground up

Clarkson and Scott are prolonging the inevitable
7 flags combined makes you greedy

I actually agree with the philosophy the clubs taking
For the first time we have some decent talent
My negativity lies in the fact that Silvangi has replaced spuds
With spuds which doesn’t help one iota and
That has been exposed because of all the injuries

Here are some names for ya
Thompson
Zac Williams
Billy Gowers who we had
Bayley Fritsch
Like Ryan
Caleb Daniel
Mitch Hannah
Ben Brown
Sam Lloyd
Mihocek
Lambert

All VFL late bloomers except for Williams and Thompson

Off course the other poster says where all over looking into
The various high powered country leagues but won’t convey the
Info because I’m too negative
Off course you have to surround mature bodies
With young kids
But not OShea Mullettand Shaw

Stewart was noticed by Scarlett because he
Played and coached there
I lived in Geelong for 20 years
It’s a strong competition but it and other comps
Are neglected by the recruiters of AFL clubs

That will change in time because a competitive
Environment brings change if you can derive any benefit
From it

Thought it was appropriate to put some details around your list for you Keogh.

You’ve named 10 players selected across 6 years of drafts. Slim pickings.

Several are from 2013 & 2014 drafts, pre current list management team at Carlton.

To get 3 of them (Fritsch, Kerr & Hannan) Blues could not have selected TDK, Kerr & Fisher.

Details of your list & who Blues selected instead.

Zac Williams - pick 54 2013 rookie draft, Carlton & every other club passed on him, including GWS 6 times;
Bayley Fritsch - pick 31, 2017 National draft - Blues selected TDK pick 30;
Luke Ryan - pick 66, 2016 National draft - Blues selected Pat Kerr pick 65
Caleb Daniel - pick 46 2014 National draft - Blues selected Dillon V Rainbow
Mitch Hannan -pick 46 2016 National draft - Blues selected Zac Fisher pick 27
Ben Brown - Pick 47 2013 National draft - Blues selected Cameron Giles - sanfl recruit, Woodville West Torrens;
Sam Lloyd -Pick 66 2013 National draft - Blues selected Nick Holman;
Kane Lambert - Pick 46 2015 rookie draft - Blues selected Tom fields Sth Adelaide sanfl;
Billy Gowers - irrelevant - didn’t give a rats whilst at Blues, lazy whilst on our list,
Mihocek - pick 22 2018 rookie draft - Blues selected Matt Shaw.

There are on occasions players in the lower leagues who can step up, but as a general rule there's a reason they are playing in the lower league. The step up is beyond them and unlikely to deliver any of the parties involved any success.

The first sentence in your last paragraph is why you would invest time in looking into the strong
Country something clearly AFL clubs don't do. Particularly given the situation the club is in with
The huge turnover of our list and the need to have new mature bodies supporting the kids
You cross every t and dot every i

You go on our draft history. Some valid points but in the end it's results that count and we have been shit for too long. It disturbs me when SOS says he doesn't see some of those players we have been
Banging on about as long term prospects
It smacks of arrogance and not doing his job properly. Why then are they on our list. Every player he recruits should be seen as long term prospect. It's the old Carlton all over again, even given the mess he inherited
Our recruitment staff, many posters here, maybe even you don't think it's worth putting in the effort
To oversee these country leagues with a scout. How hard would it be. You take every advantage you can have to be successful
Cam O'Shea was an after thought. It's narrow minded thinking. Mate to you and your mate BV it's simply @#$%&! embarrassing he Mullett and Shaw are on our complete list
Oh he won our reserves B and F. Let's pick him up. That's pathetic. I guarantee you that our reserves side would be beaten by the top 2 or 3 GFL teams.

If the club doesn't think it's worth exploring other avenues of recruitment other than its own backyard that is the definition of stupidity and arrogance
And given the last 17 years we have had we know what outcome that brings.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 am 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:

Have u seen a GFL game

Out there

It was simple for a reason but I guess someone with you level of intellect missed that one. :wink:

Yes I have seen him play, did you see Weltering play last year? He's been totally exposed this year mainly from lack of support on field (and injuries), unlike Stewart.

If the standard is so high then why are they not in the VFL and why aren't the non AFL affiliated teams in the VFL dominating the comp (I think you need to look at the ladder)?

I get your point on recruiting and due diligence, but do you honestly think that there are no recruiters (or their spies) watching all the state and country leagues around Australia.

Finally, did you even watch the interview as to why a lot of the players you think are worse then the GFL players were traded in? And if you think picking up one or two unproven (even in the VFL) GFL players would help us with all our injuries, then you need to stop smoking what you're growing in the country. :smoking:

The reason why you don't see many players coming into the AFL from the strong country leagues
Is because AFL clubs like Carlton don't think it's worth doing. That's arrogance
I reckon it is. Do yourself a favour. Go an watch a game between St Joes and Bell Park
As I said to the poster SOs says that some of our players aren't seen as long true prospects
@#$%&! me. That's a flower recipe for success isn't it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Have u seen a GFL game

Yeah....Nah...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Do I have to watch all two hours and 19 minutes- or is their a particular moment which tickles your fancy.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:59 am 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
keogh wrote:

Have u seen a GFL game

Out there

The reason why you don't see many players coming into the AFL from the strong country leagues
Is because AFL clubs like Carlton don't think it's worth doing. That's arrogance
I reckon it is. Do yourself a favour. Go an watch a game between St Joes and Bell Park
As I said to the poster SOs says that some of our players aren't seen as long true prospects
@#$%&! me. That's a flower recipe for success isn't it

SOS said he traded those players in that were not seen as long term players as part of the deal (salary dumping) to get players like Marchbank and better/more draft picks. All clubs do this and mostly these types of trades have nothing to do with finding a hidden gem from other AFL lists. However he did elude, that if a Pickett or Phillips turns out to be a star then that's a win for us and a bonus.
I don't think you can pin point Carlton as being arrogant for not drafting country league players, as AGRO pointed out they did "encourage" Isaac Smith to go to the VFL as I'm sure many other clubs do. Some might not be up to standard and others like Isaac are, either way there is still a process that as part of due diligence needs to be done.
But the unfortunate thing about this year and why people like yourself are getting so frustrated is that with all our injuries we could've drafted Dangerfield from the GFL and it still wouldn't have helped us. As SOS also stated our age demographic and injury list were never going to win games this year and that is a product of a bottom up rebuild and I'm 100% sure if we have the same amount of injuries in 3 years time and all our top draft picks and other kids are in their early 20's the results would be a lot different.

We're in a good place at the moment even if the conventional results are not there for the general public to see.

Get on board, it'll be worth it in a few years and we've waited this long already, what's another couple of year to do it the right way this time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Give it a rest Keogh.
Firstly, the club may well have someone watching the country leagues so your whinge may well be unfounded. The reality is, we spotted Isaac Smith before other clubs so there was obviously a network in place.

Secondly, your list includes an Under 18 All Australian player (Hardly an unknown) :lol: and a GWS academy player. The overwhelming majority of the rest were selected from the VFL where we have spotters.
As I said, if you think Cam O'Shea filling number 42 on our list contributes significantly to the issues of our club, you are in Noddy Land.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Give it a rest Keogh.
Firstly, the club may well have someone watching the country leagues so your whinge may well be unfounded. The reality is, we spotted Isaac Smith before other clubs so there was obviously a network in place.

Secondly, your list includes an Under 18 All Australian player (Hardly an unknown) :lol: and a GWS academy player. The overwhelming majority of the rest were selected from the VFL where we have spotters.
As I said, if you think Cam O'Shea filling number 42 on our list contributes significantly to the issues of our club, you are in Noddy Land.

Bottom line is results
BV
You can defend the club as much as you like
Let’s revisit the rebuild in say 6 years time
And see where we are at

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am 
Craig Bradley

AGRO wrote:
AIRCAV wrote:
Caro, just stop ok?

I’m reading about you “firing back at Carlton” after the drubbing you got Monday night.

Note: i haven’t listened to the clip on the 3AW app as I’d like to spare hearing your whiny voice so I’m relying on the quotes on the website.

“Silvagni accused Wilson of not returning a phone call over an article surrounding Steven Trigg's departure as chief executive.

She explained why on Tuesday night.

"I was angry," Wilson said on Sportsday.

"I felt the club had lied to me and certainly Mark LoGiudice had been less than honest with Steven Trigg."

You were angry????? You’re supposed to be a @#$%&! journalist! You made unsubstantiated allegations, and when one of the people involved in those allegations rang you to point out the facts, you didn’t because you were angry at one of the other people!

Retire now.

But of course, she then doubles down.

“She also dismissed suggestions from the Blues they "knew" they'd be this bad this season, given their list overhaul.

"I just don't buy that," she said.”

Soooo, you don’t buy it because you don’t believe it like you believed Sloan was coming home? Or were you angry ? Maybe miffed? A tad annoyed?

When did anyone at Carlton say that????

Go, just go

Lawrence Mooney highlighted this morning her backflip on the use of the word “henchmen” in this article.

In her 3AW radio spot with Dwayne Russell :roll: - they seriously tried to put over that Wilson was using the word in its historical context “a squire or page of honour to a person of rank”

Yeah right Ms Wilson.

:roll:

OMFG! I know I should have listened to the the clip but I just couldn’t and this confirms my fears. I’d have smashed my phone. Abs of course her fellow panelists said nothing less they be accused of misogyny. Seriously, she’s now going the “out of context” route? She had 24 hrs and this was the best she could come up with?

It’s well past time she was sued for her gossip columns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Give it a rest Keogh.

Bottom line is results
BV
You can defend the club as much as you like
Let’s revisit the rebuild in say 6 years time
And see where we are at

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am 
Wayne Johnston

Hornet wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Oh and I hope people took note of his clear explanation that the likes of O'Shea and Mullett were brought in to help our young players in the VFL. They were never intended to play AFL.

I was generally happy with SOS last night but not happy with the way he described the roles of these two players. It may be the case and fair enough, but imagine these two waking up this morning and reading that comment... imagine what other players are thinking? Unless their roles were communicated to them at the time of recruitment, every player needs to feel as if they have a genuine shot at best 22, even if they don't... all I'm saying is better to keep this stuff in house.

As Don Corleone says - never let anyone outside the family know what your thinking.

I think they’d wake up and think how lucky they are to have been given so many chances to succeed at senior AFL level when they originally were only meant to play VFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 am 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
Trigger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Seriously Keogh, you're sooking about a player that was selected with the last pick in the @#$%&! draft!
Yes Geelong selected Tom Stewart. They also gave up pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, a first round pick for Lachlan Henderson, 2 third rounders for Zac Smith and a late pick for Aaron Black.

It's an inexact science and if you think having Cam O'Shea as our 42nd player impacts on our list to any reasonable extent, you need to give it away. If there are so many gems running around in the bush, where are they?
You've given us Tom Stewart and who? If Cam O'Shea was running around in the bush, he'd be far superior to 99.5% of the players there.
He's there to provide leadership and a bigger body to protect the kids. Get some perspective.

How about put answering or's questions he put to you eaerlier on and stop crapping on and changing the narrative.

Thompson
Zac Williams
Billy Gowers who we had
Bayley Fritsch
Like Ryan
Caleb Daniel
Mitch Hannah
Ben Brown
Sam Lloyd
Mihocek
Lambert

With young kids

Played and coached there

From it

How about answering or's questions he put to you earlier on and stop crapping on and changing the narrative.

Answer his questions.[/quot

He didn’t answer mine for starters

I did answer his questions
If u read the info

Yeah we didn’t pick Stewart because we picked up Fisher first

TDK from all reports is going to be ok

Look mate it’s like this
We have been shit for 17 years except for a couple
Of years under Rattens reign

Why
Because shitheads ran the club

Recruiting is so important now
Ultimately we can all sit here and disagree

Ultimately we all want to have a 17 th flag

Scoring some points on a footy show with a panel
That includes an Essendon** champion who all blue supporters can’t stand and a journo
Who is more negative than yours truly means jack shit to me

In the end results are the only thing that counts

Unless you think the last three years recruiting is significantly worse than the five years before that I’m not sure you have any significant points to make....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Trigger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

How about put answering or's questions he put to you eaerlier on and stop crapping on and changing the narrative.

Thompson
Zac Williams
Billy Gowers who we had
Bayley Fritsch
Like Ryan
Caleb Daniel
Mitch Hannah
Ben Brown
Sam Lloyd
Mihocek
Lambert

With young kids

Played and coached there

From it

How about answering or's questions he put to you earlier on and stop crapping on and changing the narrative.

If u read the info

Look mate it’s like this

Why

That includes an Essendon*** champion who all blue supporters can’t stand and a journo

Unless you think the last three years recruiting is significantly worse than the five years before that I’m not sure you have any significant points to make....

Here is some more in relation to the rebuild
Pickett pick4
Plowman pick 3
Marchbank pick 6
Kennedy puck 13

I think it’s safe to judge if SOS has [REDACTED] up
To some large degree given there time in the system

Pickett no way can run at the speed of sound but makes to many
Mistakes lazy as all @#$%&! wouldn’t be considered by many clubs

Plowman most clubs would have him as insurance but not
In their starting 22
For a third tall defender he provides no run and his kicking has no
Penetration

March bank best of an average bunch but again a shit kick
No way worth pick 6

Kennedy slow as anything terrible kick and for a guy nicknamed
Bam bam doesn’t attack the footy hard enough

All would struggle getting a game at a decent club
Except maybe for Marchbank

Put aside your dislike for mungs and Caro
And have another look at how Silvangi
Performed the other night if you can

He’s very stubborn and doesn’t like being wrong
Great if your a fullback
Not that great if your the head of recruitment

If you think those 4 blokes are worthy of those
Draft picks your living on another planet

They may serve a purpose for now but it concerns me
We have another club legend whose doing another shit job

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Keogh, I reckon you way too harsh on Pickett, Marchbank, Kennedy and Plowman.

All have shown talent at times but have been cruelled by injury.

It's illogical to have a conclusive view on them given their interrupted careers so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Keogh, Now posters are going to go through all the players SOS got to GWS to point out SOS' wins.

Also, When were the compromised drafts?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Trigger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Thompson
Zac Williams
Billy Gowers who we had
Bayley Fritsch
Like Ryan
Caleb Daniel
Mitch Hannah
Ben Brown
Sam Lloyd
Mihocek
Lambert

With young kids

Played and coached there

From it

If u read the info

Look mate it’s like this

Why

That includes an Essendon*** champion who all blue supporters can’t stand and a journo

Here is some more in relation to the rebuild
Pickett pick4
Plowman pick 3
Marchbank pick 6
Kennedy puck 13

I think it’s safe to judge if SOS has [REDACTED] up
To some large degree given there time in the system

Pickett no way can run at the speed of sound but makes to many
Mistakes lazy as all @#$%&! wouldn’t be considered by many clubs

Plowman most clubs would have him as insurance but not
In their starting 22
For a third tall defender he provides no run and his kicking has no
Penetration

March bank best of an average bunch but again a shit kick
No way worth pick 6

Kennedy slow as anything terrible kick and for a guy nicknamed
Bam bam doesn’t attack the footy hard enough

All would struggle getting a game at a decent club
Except maybe for Marchbank

Put aside your dislike for mungs and Caro
And have another look at how Silvangi
Performed the other night if you can

He’s very stubborn and doesn’t like being wrong
Great if your a fullback
Not that great if your the head of recruitment

If you think those 4 blokes are worthy of those
Draft picks your living on another planet

They may serve a purpose for now but it concerns me
We have another club legend whose doing another shit job

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Most glaring part of the whole interview for me was when asked who has improved under Bolton he struggled to come up with 3 names

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next