Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
Robert Walls

Hornet wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Oh and I hope people took note of his clear explanation that the likes of O'Shea and Mullett were brought in to help our young players in the VFL. They were never intended to play AFL.

I was generally happy with SOS last night but not happy with the way he described the roles of these two players. It may be the case and fair enough, but imagine these two waking up this morning and reading that comment... imagine what other players are thinking? Unless their roles were communicated to them at the time of recruitment, every player needs to feel as if they have a genuine shot at best 22, even if they don't... all I'm saying is better to keep this stuff in house.

As Don Corleone says - never let anyone outside the family know what your thinking.

Didn't bother me in the slightest. Whoever they are, their future is in their own hands. O'Shea had an amazing opportunity with all our injuries to show the football world he can play. If he'd cemented a spot, we may well have offered him another 1 year contract.

You make your own luck and you take a high level of personal accountability if you want to be successful

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SOS won that in 3 sets, 6-0, 6-0, 6-1.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Of course your going to have wins
But why those spuds like Mullett Shaw
And OShea
All flanker types
What I learnt is MLG and SOS
Are mates
That concerns me
Jobs for the boys

You can see it from rose tinted glasses
About Cripps and Curnow
But your treading water in a rebuild
When you recruit mature spuds
Who bring nothing to the table
In a playing sense

As SOs said players mature at different rates
So how about finding some of those
Late bloomers from the other comps
Bush
Interstate
I much rather give someone a chance
For the first time than watch
Mullet
OShea
Shaw turn it over
Stewart could be All Australian this year
Kelly is a gun mid

Can you remind me about how we passed them over - and who we got instead please. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

Read the HS today (I know - will have shower but Maccas doesn't have any other choice despite requests..) and saw article about the Blues. Similar in tone to SOS interview - strong, resolute, not looking for easy fixes. Given the way we get pushed around on the field at times it was great to hear that confident commitment and belief.
I dont mind SOS being asked the questions from Caro or Loyd and there were times I wished he phrased his responses differently, but I did like his general confidence in what they were doing. I imagine no one in that sort of game can be certain of the future but at face value the club appears to be rallying behind each other and holding firm- despite (or because) everyone else putting the boot in. I think if they can hold it, it will make the club and create a sensational bond. Certainly it gave me some confidence and hope...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

Trigger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Seriously Keogh, you're sooking about a player that was selected with the last pick in the @#$%&! draft!
Yes Geelong selected Tom Stewart. They also gave up pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, a first round pick for Lachlan Henderson, 2 third rounders for Zac Smith and a late pick for Aaron Black.

It's an inexact science and if you think having Cam O'Shea as our 42nd player impacts on our list to any reasonable extent, you need to give it away. If there are so many gems running around in the bush, where are they?
You've given us Tom Stewart and who? If Cam O'Shea was running around in the bush, he'd be far superior to 99.5% of the players there.
He's there to provide leadership and a bigger body to protect the kids. Get some perspective.

How about put answering or's questions he put to you eaerlier on and stop crapping on and changing the narrative.

I actually think Geelong and Hawthorn are going about things the wrong way
To win a flag you pretty much have to start from the ground up

Clarkson and Scott are prolonging the inevitable
7 flags combined makes you greedy

I actually agree with the philosophy the clubs taking
For the first time we have some decent talent
My negativity lies in the fact that Silvangi has replaced spuds
With spuds which doesn’t help one iota and
That has been exposed because of all the injuries

Here are some names for ya
Thompson
Zac Williams
Billy Gowers who we had
Bayley Fritsch
Like Ryan
Caleb Daniel
Mitch Hannah
Ben Brown
Sam Lloyd
Mihocek
Lambert

All VFL late bloomers except for Williams and Thompson

Off course the other poster says where all over looking into
The various high powered country leagues but won’t convey the
Info because I’m too negative
Off course you have to surround mature bodies
With young kids
But not OShea Mullettand Shaw

Stewart was noticed by Scarlett because he
Played and coached there
I lived in Geelong for 20 years
It’s a strong competition but it and other comps
Are neglected by the recruiters of AFL clubs

That will change in time because a competitive
Environment brings change if you can derive any benefit
From it

How about answering or's questions he put to you earlier on and stop crapping on and changing the narrative.

Answer his questions.[/quot

He didn’t answer mine for starters

I did answer his questions
If u read the info

Yeah we didn’t pick Stewart because we picked up Fisher first

TDK from all reports is going to be ok

But All clubs neglect the strong country leagues too much

Look mate it’s like this
We have been shit for 17 years except for a couple
Of years under Rattens reign

Why
Because shitheads ran the club

Recruiting is so important now
Ultimately we can all sit here and disagree

Ultimately we all want to have a 17 th flag

Scoring some points on a footy show with a panel
That includes an Essendon* champion who all blue supporters can’t stand and a journo
Who is more negative than yours truly means jack shit to me

In the end results are the only thing that counts

Last edited by keogh on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

scottopee wrote:
Really liked SOS defending himself and the club although I thought he started uncomfortably but finished with his head held high.

But disappointed he didn't answer that the club are in it together from the start of the interview and he is supporting the coach instead of attacking them back by asking what other list manager has to come out and support the coach! All he had to do back Bolton first then have a crack back and that would have shut Caro up (for at least 5 sec).

We do have a massive problem with the lack of quality by getting these delisted free agents and the Giants discards that are no better then the players getting delisted.

The Giants discards at least come as a package deal. ie steak knives, so we could get the players we were targeting cheaper. GWS wanted to dump crap for salary cap purposes. If Marchbank, Pickett, Kennedy and Plowman do well then eventually we'll win out after the steak knives have been delisted. Phillips has been a nice back up ruck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 pm 
Horrie Clover

Was thinking about not going this Sunday. Would've been the first Blues game I've missed in Victoria this year. After watching SOS it would be unCarlton not to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

eric pascoe wrote:
Was thinking about not going this Sunday. Would've been the first Blues game I've missed in Victoria this year. After watching SOS it would be unCarlton not to go.
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Full video
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018- ... n-silvagni

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
But All clubs neglect the strong country leagues too much

Sorry but I have to make comment on this.

Have you thought there is a reason "All" clubs neglect the "strong" country leagues?

Maybe they're just not as "strong" as you think, otherwise they'd "all" be drafting from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Remind me which Country League Isaac Smith came from.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:

I assume this is sarcasm, but for the sake of it:

Isaac Smith was drafted from North Ballarat - VFL
Tom Stewart was drafted from Geelong - VFL
Tim Kelly was drafted from South Fremantle - WAFL

All state leagues not country.

And all were drafted into teams that had enough on field support to make them all play a lot better then they would be if they played for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Isaac Smith was drafted from North Ballarat - VFL.

Technically correct but he started the 2010 season playing for Redan in the Ballarat Football League, halfway through the year he was “encouraged” to go to North Ballarat, in the VFL.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Technically correct but he started the 2010 season playing for Redan in the Ballarat Football League, halfway through the year he was “encouraged” to go to North Ballarat, in the VFL.

I guess they wanted to see if he could handle VFL before AFL, it's a big risk if the Hawks knew he was going to be good and then showcase him in the VFL for other clubs.

Either way that is one player out of how many country league players, I think they call that a Hail Mary. But still, if he came to Carlton then he most likely would've not had the same development and notoriety.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Seriously Keogh, you're sooking about a player that was selected with the last pick in the @#$%&! draft!
Yes Geelong selected Tom Stewart. They also gave up pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, a first round pick for Lachlan Henderson, 2 third rounders for Zac Smith and a late pick for Aaron Black.

It's an inexact science and if you think having Cam O'Shea as our 42nd player impacts on our list to any reasonable extent, you need to give it away. If there are so many gems running around in the bush, where are they?
You've given us Tom Stewart and who? If Cam O'Shea was running around in the bush, he'd be far superior to 99.5% of the players there.
He's there to provide leadership and a bigger body to protect the kids. Get some perspective.

I actually think Geelong and Hawthorn are going about things the wrong way
To win a flag you pretty much have to start from the ground up

Clarkson and Scott are prolonging the inevitable
7 flags combined makes you greedy

I actually agree with the philosophy the clubs taking
For the first time we have some decent talent
My negativity lies in the fact that Silvangi has replaced spuds
With spuds which doesn’t help one iota and
That has been exposed because of all the injuries

Here are some names for ya
Thompson
Zac Williams
Billy Gowers who we had
Bayley Fritsch
Like Ryan
Caleb Daniel
Mitch Hannah
Ben Brown
Sam Lloyd
Mihocek
Lambert

All VFL late bloomers except for Williams and Thompson

Off course the other poster says where all over looking into
The various high powered country leagues but won’t convey the
Info because I’m too negative
Off course you have to surround mature bodies
With young kids
But not OShea Mullettand Shaw

Stewart was noticed by Scarlett because he
Played and coached there
I lived in Geelong for 20 years
It’s a strong competition but it and other comps
Are neglected by the recruiters of AFL clubs

That will change in time because a competitive
Environment brings change if you can derive any benefit
From it

Thought it was appropriate to put some details around your list for you Keogh.

You’ve named 10 players selected across 6 years of drafts. Slim pickings.

Several are from 2013 & 2014 drafts, pre current list management team at Carlton.

To get 3 of them (Fritsch, Kerr & Hannan) Blues could not have selected TDK, Kerr & Fisher.

Details of your list & who Blues selected instead.

Zac Williams - pick 54 2013 rookie draft, Carlton & every other club passed on him, including GWS 6 times;
Bayley Fritsch - pick 31, 2017 National draft - Blues selected TDK pick 30;
Luke Ryan - pick 66, 2016 National draft - Blues selected Pat Kerr pick 65
Caleb Daniel - pick 46 2014 National draft - Blues selected Dillon V Rainbow
Mitch Hannan -pick 46 2016 National draft - Blues selected Zac Fisher pick 27
Ben Brown - Pick 47 2013 National draft - Blues selected Cameron Giles - sanfl recruit, Woodville West Torrens;
Sam Lloyd -Pick 66 2013 National draft - Blues selected Nick Holman;
Kane Lambert - Pick 46 2015 rookie draft - Blues selected Tom fields Sth Adelaide sanfl;
Billy Gowers - irrelevant - didn’t give a rats whilst at Blues, lazy whilst on our list,
Mihocek - pick 22 2018 rookie draft - Blues selected Matt Shaw.

There are on occasions players in the lower leagues who can step up, but as a general rule there's a reason they are playing in the lower league. The step up is beyond them and unlikely to deliver any of the parties involved any success.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I guess they wanted to see if he could handle VFL before AFL, it's a big risk if the Hawks knew he was going to be good and then showcase him in the VFL for other clubs.

Either way that is one player out of how many country league players, I think they call that a Hail Mary. But still, if he came to Carlton then he most likely would've not had the same development and notoriety.

It was actually us who encouraged him to go to the VFL - but you’re right about the development.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:02 am 
Craig Bradley

Caro, just stop ok?

I’m reading about you “firing back at Carlton” after the drubbing you got Monday night.

Note: i haven’t listened to the clip on the 3AW app as I’d like to spare hearing your whiny voice so I’m relying on the quotes on the website.

“Silvagni accused Wilson of not returning a phone call over an article surrounding Steven Trigg's departure as chief executive.

She explained why on Tuesday night.

"I was angry," Wilson said on Sportsday.

"I felt the club had lied to me and certainly Mark LoGiudice had been less than honest with Steven Trigg."

You were angry????? You’re supposed to be a @#$%&! journalist! You made unsubstantiated allegations, and when one of the people involved in those allegations rang you to point out the facts, you didn’t because you were angry at one of the other people!

Retire now.

But of course, she then doubles down.

“She also dismissed suggestions from the Blues they "knew" they'd be this bad this season, given their list overhaul.

"I just don't buy that," she said.”

Soooo, you don’t buy it because you don’t believe it like you believed Sloan was coming home? Or were you angry ? Maybe miffed? A tad annoyed?

When did anyone at Carlton say that????

Go, just go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:34 am 
formerly King Kenny

We know she doesn’t but it, she isn’t a current member, nor ever has been I’d suggest.

She has taken back her mantle from Cornes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

eric pascoe wrote:

He seems to have given most of us a much needed Carlton booster shot. Picks you up , gives you endurance; and antibodies to fight negativity-inner and outer. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:55 am 
Craig Bradley

Ockham's Razor wrote:
SOS represented Carlton perfectly.

Since when does Carlton let the media dictate our agenda? Eddie doesn’t and would never allow the media to dictate the Pies agenda, why the @#$%&! should Carlton? Why should Caro & Lloyd be allowed to bully their way through our club unchallenged?

FFS even the Gold Coast president stands up for his club, right or wrong in an unwavering manner. The message it sends to players, members and those involved in the club is that publicly we support you.

There is a public message and a behind closed doors message - same theme, but delivered differently & for different purposes.

MLG & SOS are mates, so what.

They are both hard arsed high achievers and both want success. There’s ego’s etc but does anyone seriously think those involved at the club aren’t striving tirelessly for success?

Judd is a high achiever. He won’t allow his legacy to be tarnished by failure.

Behind closed doors there have been and continue to be serious, hard discussions and questioning of approach, performance and outcomes.

How many know the actual story behind Trigg’s departure? Easy to criticise from the cheap seats.

We have had more successes than busts in drafting / recruiting over the last 3 years. It is an imperfect multi faceted process.

SOS pointed out 5 trades where we have clearly come out well ahead. There are others where we have stuffed up, flower and shit stirrers focus on the stuff ups & ignore the successes.

He was at times defensive & aggressive, he was accurate. He’s not a media performer yet he performed well.

Lloyd’s comments at the end reinforced the commonly held view that he’s a cheap sniper.

Members have the right to question & seek answers but Caro & Lloyd don't have any right to peddle gossip & lies about our club. Blinkered cheap thinking needs to be called out for what it is & SOS did that.

On balance that interview was a win for Carlton.

OR

Well said ! If you want to take on Stephen Silvagni, then do so. And go your hardest......because he will !!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next