Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alarm Bells
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm 
Robert Walls

aramari wrote:
idle wrote:
Murphy has shown loyalty in resigning. Do we not show loyalty in return? What message do we want to send to the squad? If you stick with Carlton, we stick with you? or if something better comes along then bye bye? Cripps may well be future Captain material, and he'll get his chance in due coarse. Until then Murphy should be rewarded for sticking with the club through thick and thin imho.

I don't put much stock into draft selections. There's just too much what ifs and success/disaster stories to make heads or tails of any of it. A quick example: Kane Lambert of Richmond. We had him. Played for the Bullants (his 2013 season was something special) and went to Richmond at pick 46 in the rookie draft. How did we not draft this player? He is a running machine. Look at our engine room today. He is exactly the type of player we desperately need. Yet all things considered, its a gamble we didn't take and Richmond did, which has paid huge dividends to the Tigers.

People say we need talent, the glaring obvious. But I think we need talent at picking talent. If I was in charge this would be my number one concern and I wouldn't rest until we got that talent at all costs. We've picked number 1 draft choices over and over whilst overlooking awesome talent in the process Kane Lambert being one example. What we need imho is the absolute best of the best at picking talent and obtaining for the club. Something I think we've seriously lacked for far far too long imho, and the reason we are in the shithouse position we find ourselves in today.

Now I've seen everything... someone advocating for Marc Murphy to retain the captaincy :donk:

Possibly the worst football call I've ever seen!

Agreed!
maybe there's a divide at the moment where players have taken sides.
I'm actually of the belief that Murphy's good coin for the next two years might be due to the fact that he will be asked to relinquish the captaincy...of course, I'm just guessing but he looked a 'no name' player last night, not our captain. Is he still hampered by injury? Who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Our competition doesn't take Murph seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Duke wrote:

They don't.And they don't take Doherty seriously............Cripps is taken seriously and highly respected by the ENTIRE footy world................MUST be Captain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

The Duke wrote:

True. Hence why he stayed no good offers #loyalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

idle wrote:
Murphy has shown loyalty in resigning. Do we not show loyalty in return? What message do we want to send to the squad? If you stick with Carlton, we stick with you? or if something better comes along then bye bye? Cripps may well be future Captain material, and he'll get his chance in due coarse. Until then Murphy should be rewarded for sticking with the club through thick and thin imho.

I don't put much stock into draft selections. There's just too much what ifs and success/disaster stories to make heads or tails of any of it. A quick example: Kane Lambert of Richmond. We had him. Played for the Bullants (his 2013 season was something special) and went to Richmond at pick 46 in the rookie draft. How did we not draft this player? He is a running machine. Look at our engine room today. He is exactly the type of player we desperately need. Yet all things considered, its a gamble we didn't take and Richmond did, which has paid huge dividends to the Tigers.

People say we need talent, the glaring obvious. But I think we need talent at picking talent. If I was in charge this would be my number one concern and I wouldn't rest until we got that talent at all costs. We've picked number 1 draft choices over and over whilst overlooking awesome talent in the process Kane Lambert being one example. What we need imho is the absolute best of the best at picking talent and obtaining for the club. Something I think we've seriously lacked for far far too long imho, and the reason we are in the shithouse position we find ourselves in today.

Just because he's signed on doesn't mean he has to be captain. And you're missing the point, he's not much of a captain.

And for what it's worth SOS has picked well all things considered.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Lot of pressure on the club and it'll likely get worse. Club need to do the pub test to get clarity. Is Murphy a good captain? Hell No. There's your answer Carlton.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

The three most important people at a footy club
Are the President
Head coach
Head of recruitment
MLG needs to front the media and tell it
How it is
Bolton I’m not sure of. From what I see he needs to coach in 2019
And hopefully get a good run with injuries

SOS is a shit recruiter
Shaw
O’Shea
Shaw
Lobbe
What a disgrace putting them on our list
Have a look at players list in the AFL
So many players from other comps mature late
It’s up the recruiting staff to find them
At least you might be surprised
Recruiting those players who have already played AFL is slack and unforgivable

On top of that I don’t rate
Plowman
Kennedy
Pickett
Garlett
All below average players

To succeed in the afl who have to be able to
Run hard
Kick well
Ultra competitive
Fall short in one of those areas you are a
Liability
Unless your brilliant like Cripps is at contested ball
Yet SOS has recruited them

Our trading and recruiting have been
Disgraceful over the last 15 or so years
It’s like Sticks being President
Club legends doesn’t equate to excellent at other
Jobs within the club
SOS is the same

If I was running the club I would go after the best recruiter as the number one priority

As for the poster who thinks Murphy should
Be captain no idea

Offer Cripps 3 years and the captaincy and
If we are still shit by 2021 he can leave if he wishes

Watching Gowers playing ar the moment
Why did we get rid of him
We need to get talent and harness it correctly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
I think it’s much worse than this, I’m worried the club will soon cease to exist. We are irrelevant to the competition in almost every way I imaginable.

I can understand this sentiment, but keep in mind that other clubs still absolutely @#$%&! LOVE our predicament and to lord it over us; whereas with Fitzroy, no one really noticed one way or the other. We're not irrelevant yet and, with our history, probably won't be unless we continue at this level for another generation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Add Lange
Kerridge
Lamb
As well
There is a few going around a t Northern that arnt on the senior list
That are better than those blokes mentioned

Interesting if any are picked up in November

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Bookie wrote:
We are the worst team by 10 goals, and yet people think we have injuries, aside of Doc the rest would barely make any other AFL side and maybe not on merit some senior WAFL, VFL or SANFL sides.
We do not develop players full stop, never have and without radical change, never will.

I agree on the development, but doesn't that contradict your first point? Plenty of these so-called WAFL/VFL/SANFL duds could go to Sydney or Geelong or even the Bulldogs and start tearing up trees, and once again we'd be sitting here saying "gee, how could we not notice what a gun X was?"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
I think it’s much worse than this, I’m worried the club will soon cease to exist. We are irrelevant to the competition in almost every way I imaginable.

I can understand this sentiment, but keep in mind that other clubs still absolutely @#$%&! LOVE our predicament and to lord it over us; whereas with Fitzroy, no one really noticed one way or the other. We're not irrelevant yet and, with our history, probably won't be unless we continue at this level for another generation.

Our history shits me. I couldn't give a @#$%&! about the '70s & '80s. The club is bigger than us. It's bigger than Bolton. It's bigger than MLG, but the AFL is bigger than the club - so if we're gone.......2 years later....nobodyy with GAF - they won't cry for us.

All we'll have is YouTube clips to help us remember.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Bookie wrote:
The Duke wrote:

True. Hence why he stayed no good offers #loyalty
Tee hee. Hence why.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I still can't get over the 'murphy should stay skipper' hot take earlier in the thread. There has not been a worse captain in our history and I reckon you would struggle to name five worse in the history of the AFL.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Heavs wrote:
I still can't get over the 'murphy should stay skipper' hot take earlier in the thread. There has not been a worse captain in our history and I reckon you would struggle to name five worse in the history of the AFL.

Hence it was my first point. Wasn't it? I think. Can't be buggered looking back.

I'm not too fussed by his lack of physicality, though it's unacceptable,. My bigger complaint is he seems so bloody introverted. He doesn't seem to lead by body language, etc. He seems so timid in that respect.

Heres the thing. When Cripps kicks a goal or gets into a dust up, all the boys run in and surround him, support him. He's their leader. Their spiritual, physical leader. When Murphy does something the response by his teammates is far less profound. That's it in a nutshell.

And Blue Vain, nobody is saying Cripps needs the captaincy to stay, rather it's a no brainer he should be given it and it just happens to be he's the only one bar Fisher and Simmo who seems to give a flying fkc right now... It's just how it is. Club are startling stupid if they don't do what is bleedingly obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Heavs wrote:

Hence it was my first point. Wasn't it? I think. Can't be buggered looking back.

I'm not too fussed by his lack of physicality, though it's unacceptable,. My bigger complaint is he seems so bloody introverted. He doesn't seem to lead by body language, etc. He seems so timid in that respect.

Heres the thing. When Cripps kicks a goal or gets into a dust up, all the boys run in and surround him, support him. He's their leader. Their spiritual, physical leader. When Murphy does something the response by his teammates is far less profound. That's it in a nutshell.

And Blue Vain, nobody is saying Cripps needs the captaincy to stay, rather it's a no brainer he should be given it and it just happens to be he's the only one bar Fisher and Simmo who seems to give a flying fkc right now... It's just how it is. Club are startling stupid if they don't do what is bleedingly obvious.

Not you buddy. There was another one about how he stayed loyal so we should too.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
The Duke wrote:

They don't.And they don't take Doherty seriously.............

I usually agree with your posts Mick but I cant wear that one. Docherty is every bit as courageous as Simmo and plays a similar role. Simmo doesn't lack respect.
I'm happy for Cripps to be captain but Doc is a gun as well. Super respected by our players and by the time his career finishes, he'll be one of our recent champions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Paddycripps wrote:

This.

Said this to a mate I went with last night, the boys will run 30 meters to get behind Cripps and support him..Speaks volumes about the love they have for him. He's also one of the first to run over after someone kicks a goal. Captaincy shouldnt even be a question.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
The Duke wrote:

I usually agree with your posts Mick but I cant wear that one. Docherty is every bit as courageous as Simmo and plays a similar role. Simmo doesn't lack respect.
I'm happy for Cripps to be captain but Doc is a gun as well. Super respected by our players and by the time his career finishes, he'll be one of our recent champions.

Ok BV..........came out wrong.Of course Doch is respected by our players.But in the eyes of the comp and particularly the GUNS of the comp Cripps is revered.He is a contested ball beast which Doc aint and as a consequence is not as highly regarded..............The whole competition is in awe of Cripps................it is definitaly not on Doch just a comment about there standing in the game..............right at the moment BV i don't give a damn what our players think.Tail don't wag the dog .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:

Except TV rights.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
The Duke wrote:

Ok BV..........came out wrong.Of course Doch is respected by our players.But in the eyes of the comp and particularly the GUNS of the comp Cripps is revered.He is a contested ball beast which Doc aint and as a consequence is not as highly regarded..............The whole competition is in awe of Cripps................it is definitaly not on Doch just a comment about there standing in the game..............right at the moment BV i don't give a damn what our players think.Tail don't wag the dog .

To be fair, I think Cripps' status has elevated greatly this year. Bit hard for Docherty to reach the same level of respect from the stands.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next