Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 am 
Ken Hunter

Bump
May have to go there again.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 am 
Geoff Southby

Let's hope not, but if we do......

As long as GCS is down the bottom with us we might have a chance.

Our 1st (AFC 1st) and two state league picks like last year to GWS for Coniglio. Sounds fair to me!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 am 
Bruce Doull

Embarrassing

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:45 am 
Bruce Doull

Yeah, nah, pretty sure the problem isn't having enough young talent.

It's an oft quoted line, but it's never as bad as it look and it's never as good as it looks.

The high after the Dogs win was overstated outside the the club, just as the low after yesterday's game against the Roos will be overstated outside the club.

Having said that, I don't think anyone inside Carlton will be saying too much positive from that deplorable performance. The players have a chance to redeem themselves next weekend.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for a while. No point losing patience now.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

You shouldn’t be awarded for being crap

In saying this the small compensation we got
in McAdam and Krueger
McAdam bagged 3 for the crow ressies on the
the weekend after being out for a month with
a calf strain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

From today's HUN.

"Gold Coast could again ask the AFL for daft assistance if its young side continues to struggle for wins.
Ideally the AFL would hand the struggling Suns a draft pick after ignoring requests for a priority pick last year. Instead the Suns were handed access to three state league players.
But that pond of talent has been largely fished out because of the mid-season draft. The Suns have won just three games this year after four last year.
In a positive for the club there is speculation out of contract Cat Zac Smith could return to the Suns as a back up ruckman to Jarrod Witts."

I would love to hear the AFL's reasoning for them receiving a PP this year when we were denied one last year despite a worse on field record to them.
The Suns also traded away a contracted player in May get draft picks.
No mention on the article of us, also having only three wins this year on the back of two last year.
The only consolation would be if they are given one, and lets face it they will likely get one, is that it will push back the Crows pick they get from us.

edit " draft assistance"

Last edited by kezza on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

daft assistance is right!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluegirl72 wrote:
daft assistance is right!

:grin:
Oops, typo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

made sense to me kezza! :grin: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:

I would love to hear the AFL's reasoning for them receiving a PP this year......

... Seriously Kezza??.....

Because the goal review system was correct....

Obviously....

YEESH

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
From today's HUN.

"Gold Coast could again ask the AFL for daft assistance if its young side continues to struggle for wins.
Ideally the AFL would hand the struggling Suns a draft pick after ignoring requests for a priority pick last year. Instead the Suns were handed access to three state league players.
But that pond of talent has been largely fished out because of the mid-season draft. The Suns have won just three games this year after four last year.
In a positive for the club there is speculation out of contract Cat Zac Smith could return to the Suns as a back up ruckman to Jarrod Witts."

I would love to hear the AFL's reasoning for them receiving a PP this year when we were denied one last year despite a worse on field record to them.
The Suns also traded away a contracted player in May get draft picks.
No mention on the article of us, also having only three wins this year on the back of two last year.
The only consolation would be if they are given one, and lets face it they will likely get one, is that it will push back the Crows pick they get from us.

edit " draft assistance"

That’s the main reason that they will not get one.

Because it will indirectly benefit us and not Adelaide

:roll:

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am 
Geoff Southby

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-08/ ... r-no1-pick

So an ideal scenario would be that the Suns get the nod from the AFL for a 1st round PP and then we then finish on the bottom of the ladder. This would make it inevitable that we would get one.
Or alternatively we finish 17th with only 4 wins for the season and we could plead a similar case (bar the NRL territory battle, of course).

In the end we might have been better to keep BB developing the kids with no extra wins in the long run, given our numerical challenge to move higher up the ladder for the rest of the season.

It's turning out to be a real damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario, watch this space I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

As it currently stands we have won one less game than the Gold Coast (Season 2015 till now) so the AFL will have an extensive amount of dribble running down their chin awarding the Gold Coast a priority pick and justifying why we don’t get one.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Gold Coast will get a priority pick (mid round selection).

Carlton will not ( i reckon we will end up with 4 or 5 wins). That will be enough of an excuse by the AFL. Its irrelevant to the AFL that we have had the worst record since Fitzroy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

AGRO wrote:
As it currently stands we have won one less game than the Gold Coast (Season 2015 till now) so the AFL will have an extensive amount of dribble running down their chin awarding the Gold Coast a priority pick and justifying why we don’t get one.

Totally agree Agro. I agree with most of what Cochrane said. The whole point of the priority picks was to help avoid the situation where one team was perpetually on the bottom of the ladder. Gold Coast and Carlton have both been living that nightmare for a long time.

As for the argument that teams shouldn't be rewarded for poor performance I would say that they shouldn't be unfairly punished either, (for example with a match fixture that gives their sponsors less exposure, with a free agency system that makes it far more difficult for a bottom club to attract top talent etc).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

BigKev wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Totally agree Agro. I agree with most of what Cochrane said. The whole point of the priority picks was to help avoid the situation where one team was perpetually on the bottom of the ladder. Gold Coast and Carlton have both been living that nightmare for a long time.

As for the argument that teams shouldn't be rewarded for poor performance I would say that they shouldn't be unfairly punished either, (for example with a match fixture that gives their sponsors less exposure, with a free agency system that makes it far more difficult for a bottom club to attract top talent etc).

The only real advantage bottom clubs can get are early draft picks and PP's for struggling clubs.
Bottom clubs don't benefit from getting the top free agents for nothing. (Lynch to Richmond).
Unless they change the rules that clubs have to give up picks for free agents then the AFL has to help the bottom clubs.
Gold Coast traded away May last year for draft picks, he was contracted so they didn't have to do the trade.
But we all know the AFL will come up with some lame excuse for them getting one.
Carlton has to compete with 7 other Melbourne based clubs for player's services. We cannot lure them with the prospect of playing on ANZAC day, only two clubs get that advantage.
Going to be interesting to see what bulldust the AFL comes up with this year.
I hope Carlton comes out in the next couple of weeks and declares we will be asking for a PP, based on us having a worse record than the Suns do.
Can't wait for the outrage, funny there has been none regarding Gold Coast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:53 pm 
Ken Hands

SOStradamus knew this would happen. He’s a genius.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Going to be interesting to see what bulldust the AFL comes up with this year.

No it won't...
It won't be Interesting at all.. It will be some inane dribble... that won't make sense... and will be contradictory to every thing else they've done and said....

Are you expecting something different?? :lol:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Gold Coast are a bit behind the times if they think a priority pick is going to fix their issues. What they need is experience, heart and commitment.Pick One won't deliver that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

As another possible scenario - Rankine has pretty much been injured all year so there might me a distinct possibility that GC could trade him to Adelaide for our pick also. Then they could potentially have the first 2-3 picks in the draft, giving them great leverage to get a mature age player or continue with youth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 55  Next