Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm 
John Nicholls

toddkurnski wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
Forget about this priority pick. I don't agree that GC need one anyway.
How will it help if the kid goes home in 2-3 years?
They need good mature players, even ones at the end of their career.
If Daisy doesn't get a contract at the Blues, he'd be perfect. Simpson too.
Roughead, McVeigh, Ryder, Goldsack, Douglas, Mundy, N Jones, Puopolo, K Jack, Masten.

Create an environment where the young players can develop without being smashed week in and out.
The AFL needs to get creative.
Give them 4 players over 30 out of the salary cap that are either delisted or their club gets some sort of compo.

Not a bad idea.

Brilliant, astute idea. It practically forces them to do what GWS did well - get mature talent in, around the youth. For kids forging their career, what an opportunity to learn from premiership players and players from successful teams in their twilight. Don't underestimate what Hodge has done for Brisbane.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The AFL has 30 people earning over 500k that should save the Suns. Reckon we could do it for free.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm 
Robert Walls

buzzaaaah wrote:
The AFL has 30 people earning over 500k that should save the Suns. Reckon we could do it for free.

But what will they all do if they solve the problem....
(Maybe politics, Labor could use their canny advice)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm 
Bruce Comben

If the Suns don't get a pre First Round PP this year, reckon the only way it will ever happen again is if a mass tragedy befall a team during a flight or something (although I think clubs fly their players over in different planes for this reason)

Wouldn't hurt to ask for one, but I would be flabbergasted if we got one, especially given our improved performance under Teague.

I think if the AFL want to try improve equalization in the league, they should A clubs that finish in the top 4 during the season should be barred from signing top free agents like Tom Lynch to Richmond and B, stop having a compromised fixture and not have bottom 4 clubs double up with teams in the top 4 from the previous season, like us and Richmond this year.

There are ways to even up the competition without Priority Picks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

HarryMcGoat wrote:
...reckon the only way it will ever happen again is if a mass tragedy befall a team during a flight or something (although I think clubs fly their players over in different planes for this reason)

Wait...wtf? You don't honestly think this happens right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Lol, that sounds like classic "some bloke down the pub said..." nonsense

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
HarryMcGoat wrote:
...reckon the only way it will ever happen again is if a mass tragedy befall a team during a flight or something (although I think clubs fly their players over in different planes for this reason)

Wait...wtf? You don't honestly think this happens right?

Busby’s babes 1958 - Munich air disaster.

:cry:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

For those of you saying for us to forget about a priority pick next year, even if Gold Coast apply for one. Let me remind you about the time we were put over a barrel by the AFL for salary cap breeching when "other" clubs only got a slap on the wrist. Or when one of these "other" clubs got the 1st pick in the draft as a consolation prize from the AFL for drug cheating.

Personally, I haven't enjoyed what we have had to endure over the last 20 years as supporters of this once powerhouse club.

I say, if we can get one, then we should be moving the earth to put the AFL over a barrel to get it.

It's time to make it rain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm 
Robert Walls

Other clubs will always hate us
The media will always stick the boot in and badmouth us
The afl will always do its best to ream us

May as well try to get an extra pick while we have a half decent excuse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 pm 
Ken Hands

Bluey44 wrote:
Other clubs will always hate us
The media will always stick the boot in and badmouth us
The afl will always do its best to ream us

Agree 100% if you don’t ask you don’t receive. So what if they say no? Let’s put the squeeze on the useless flowers at AFL. Both hawthorn and Collingwood did well out of priority picks in 2004/05. This helped them have sustained success.
Do not underestimate the difference one super player can make. They draw opponents and make others around them better. Can NEVER have too much talent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

May I remind everyone that since (and including) season 2015 till round 17 season 2019, Gold Coast and Carlton have won the same number of games.

One of these teams will have won one more game than the other come the end of round 18.

Unless of course it’s a draw.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 pm 
Bruce Comben

The thing is folks, we actually seem to be on a tangible road to recovery (touch wood) and the Suns seem to keep falling off a cliff.

As others have said, a Priority Draft pick is at best, a band aid solution to their current woes.

I said in another thread, if the AFL managed to get Al Clarkson up to the fold coast for a few years, aka Ron Baraasi in the early/mid 90s for the Swans, that will be far more beneficial to the club.

They might as call the PP an 'emergency assistance' pick, because it's nigh on impossible to get one these days.

Honestly don't think we need one, at any rate. Would hate for us to be known as a handout/beggar club.

We will likely (I predict) finish 16th above Gold Coast and Melbum, so I can't see us having a rational argument to put forth to City Hall to get run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 am 
John Nicholls

HarryMcGoat wrote:

Honestly don't think we need one, at any rate. Would hate for us to be known as a handout/beggar club.

Wait till we're playing finals again.

"All those high draft selections, all those traded in high draft picks, all those number ones......"

Just wait.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Bluey44 wrote:

So.... what's the excuse?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

If we couldn't get one last year, there's zero chance now.
If that was so important, we should have kept Bolton.
I'd prefer to win the next 6 and not even think about a PP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:09 am 
Bruce Doull

I think Carlton and Gold Coast both deserve priority picks at the start of the draft just to screw Adelaide over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
Forget about this priority pick. I don't agree that GC need one anyway.
How will it help if the kid goes home in 2-3 years?
They need good mature players, even ones at the end of their career.
If Daisy doesn't get a contract at the Blues, he'd be perfect. Simpson too.
Roughead, McVeigh, Ryder, Goldsack, Douglas, Mundy, N Jones, Puopolo, K Jack, Masten.

Create an environment where the young players can develop without being smashed week in and out.
The AFL needs to get creative.
Give them 4 players over 30 out of the salary cap that are either delisted or their club gets some sort of compo.

Not a bad idea.

Brilliant, astute idea. It practically forces them to do what GWS did well - get mature talent in, around the youth. For kids forging their career, what an opportunity to learn from premiership players and players from successful teams in their twilight. Don't underestimate what Hodge has done for Brisbane.

I don't think signing 4 delisted players over 30 is actually that much of a coup. If it were us I'd rather have a PP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm 
Robert Walls

DocSherrin III wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:

So.... what's the excuse?

See Agro's post.

The AFL need to be objective in making these decisions...
We have been down the bottom of the ladder for a long time.
They can't base it on subjective decisions on the coach, the list, short term trends, list decisions...
If they are going to reward mediocrity, they may as well reward us.
The pies or druggies wouldn't hesitate to try to weedle a pick if they could, they wouldn't let pride or optimism get in the way.
In an 18 team comp every priority pick helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Bluey44 wrote:
The AFL need to be objective in making these decisions...
We have been down the bottom of the ladder for a long time.
They can't base it on subjective decisions on the coach, the list, short term trends, list decisions...

Yes. Yes they can. Carlton's is self-inflicted. Gold Coast's is not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Everything is self inflicted.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next