Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Surely we need all the help we can get?

I smell a rat. Something is going on, surely?

Discuss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dunno Paddy.
But I do know how amazing it would be to have all the old clubs with potentially high supporter bases to be in the finals again. The AFL have stuffed up bigtime and I think they will be forced to help Carlton back u the ladder. We can be as big as Tigers or Pies with sustained success.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

On its own pick 19 isn't a big deal but if it can be used to trade for a player that's the value as I see it.
And to be honest it's a numbers game the draft so I suppose it helps in that regard too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think we are saying we don't need it and hoping the AFL will overrule us and say YOU LOSERS NEED IT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

My own take on this is that the most important person at the club would have checked in with some of the powerful Old Xavs network within the AFL industry to sound out the likelihood of a priority pick. And I dare say, based only on precedent, that he got the answer he wanted to hear.

If you think about it - it's not a great look for SOS that his list management is perceived to be seen as not working. How SOS is perceived is very important to SOS. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he informed the current President over a bottle of Chateau Verdeflor's finest that he would be very unimpressed if the club put in an official application for assistance.

I think behind closed doors, while the clubs' decision makers are not happy with the on-field happenings, there is a firm belief that they are heading in the right direction and can be competitive without an extra selection at the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'd be very disappionted if the AFL does not step with some corrections or PP , if we end the season with 1 win and an average game score of 60 points or so.
I'd don't see any magical direction developing that will restore our credibility either.
We're heading for an implosion unless steps are taken ASAP by both administrations AFL abd CFC.
I've never experienced CFC doing so little in a season of footbal as is 2018, l it's gut wrenching.

Last edited by bmaurizio on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Some smart journo needs to ask Juddy or the CEO if the AFL decide to grant your club a priority pick even though you have not requested it will you knock it back?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

woof wrote:
Some smart journo needs to ask Juddy or the CEO if the AFL decide to grant your club a priority pick even though you have not requested it will you knock it back?

I’m sure Judy would respond with something like....the AFL approves or rejects a priority pick based on an application or submition. If there’s no formal application then there’s nothing to approve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

woof wrote:

Smart journos, though few and far between, would already know that there's official paperwork that needs to be lodged prior to a certain date in order for the arguments to be heard prior to an AFL Commission meeting. However makey-uppey we believe the AFL to be, there's no 'Carlton assistance' agenda item appearing out of thin air.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Probably the AFL has said to Carlton we aint giving you one we are sick to death of you turning elite young talent into total spuds.
Carlton is just trying to save face by not asking again

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

Clearly we haven’t been talking about this enough...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
woof wrote:
Some smart journo needs to ask Juddy or the CEO if the AFL decide to grant your club a priority pick even though you have not requested it will you knock itHowever makey-uppey we believe the AFL to be, there's no 'Carlton assistance' agenda item appearing out of thin air.

We know, that thin air stuff is reserved for Essendon*

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

The AFL have being meddling with notions of equalisation for quite some time and there significant shortfalls, flaws and the causalities.
It seems perennially lowly teams like the Suns and Blues will struggle to attract quality FA, so how are they ever going to redevelop effectively enough to be competitive?.
Should we stop consternating and just hand over the Keys?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

bmaurizio wrote:
It seems perennially lowly teams like the Suns and Blues will struggle to attract quality FA, so how are they ever going to redevelop effectively enough to be competitive?.

Maybe we should be given a higher salary cap, or the AFL could subsidise our FA signings to help us get the resources we really need.

Or, because it's the AFL, we could just have a gentleman's agreement to reinstate paper bags for a limited time only*.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
bmaurizio wrote:

Or, because it's the AFL, we could just have a gentleman's agreement to reinstate paper bags for a limited time only*.

You mean like Essendon* had when they were allowed to sign up their top up players outside the salary cap.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yeah, that kind of thing.

Maybe we should arrange it with the AFL that they find us guilty of drug-cheating and ban half our list for a year. Let us top up with those 23-28 year old midfield bods we've been crying out for. But good ones. Then "discover" that we never drug-cheated in the first place, let all the banned players return, let us keep the top-ups, let us sign everyone on big money, then give us some PPs just for fun.

It might just work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Yeah, that kind of thing.

Maybe we should arrange it with the AFL that they find us guilty of drug-cheating and ban half our list for a year. Let us top up with those 23-28 year old midfield bods we've been crying out for. But good ones. Then "discover" that we never drug-cheated in the first place, let all the banned players return, let us keep the top-ups, let us sign everyone on big money, then give us some PPs just for fun.

It might just work.

Don’t think we have enough friends in the “Good Ole Boys AFL Network” for that to happen.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

In the final analysis its up to the AFL's discretion whether to grant CFC a leg up.
Hopefully they'll review their equalisation formula soon to be more supportive of perennially poor performing teams, it would be appropriate and to the betterment of the completion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

Maybe we should just trade out Cripps, Curnow, Dow etc and then pass on the draft picks for retirees at Hawthorn, Geelong and Melbourne (the AFL love Melbourne now they run them).

I'm sure that'd win us favour, especially if we passed those players onto the Giants, Freo and GC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I like GreatEX's idea.
Get it done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next