Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

2ndeffort wrote:
Long memories Blues, in the future if another club finds itself on the bottom and asks for assistance lets fight tooth and nail to oppose it. Pres of the Northern Blues should write to Gil and thank him for the priority recruits!

Brilliant idea.

...and if the players turn out to be OShea Mullet Shaw players in the VFL, then make the comment public.

Wouldn't it be funny if those 2 players ended up helping the NB's win a flag. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:14 am 
Adrian Gallagher

camelboy wrote:
McLachlan clarifies decision to reject priority pick requests
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/25/ ... -requests/

Quote:
The AFL Commission yesterday rejected the struggling clubs' proposal of securing an extra, early pick to fast-track their respective rebuilds.

“With these things you’re trying to look at the objective and a bit of the subjective assessment of the clubs and where they’re at,” McLachlan told SEN’s Whateley.

“If you help then you’re doing that at the expense of the competition generally.

“There was an assessment that the clubs had a lot of young talent, I think Carlton have got 18 first round picks and they’ll get the number one pick again this year.

“Gold Coast have got 15 first round picks on their list and they’re going to get picks two and 15 this year if Tom Lynch goes to another club, which is I think accepted, so they’ll get pick 3 as well.

“So there was a view that they needed some mature bodies.”

The Blues and the Suns will instead receive priority access to two state level players each, as reported by SEN Time On host Sam McClure last month.

Did the AFL Commission really look at the number of first round picks Carlton has as a basis for deciding on the health of our list? This is part of the strange phenomena that has developed since the draft was introduced. Where a player is picked in the draft is merely a starting point for a players career, once all the new players lands at a club which pick they were in the draft becomes irrelevant as their performance or lack of is their measure as a player. It is regularly raised when discussing the trading of a player, when all it really represents is the value a club placed on an 18 year old junior footballer. So if the club had kept Kane Lucas, Josh Bootsma and Blaine Boakhurst on the list Gil would have been able to say we have 21 first rounders on our list. Not to forget that our most consistent player in the last 15 years Kade Simpson is merely a fourth round pick. The first round picks we have traded into the club are nearly all on their second chance having struggled at their original club due to injury, attitude and a failure to live up to their potential. And that's all it is potential, Gil is assessing the potential of the list based on when a number of the players were selected in the draft, while the performance has been disappointing. It's probably just as well, I would have preferred the club use pick 11 or 19 on a good young mid-fielder rather than hand it to Adelaide for another tall forward. I'm not sure that tall forwards is what we lack, use the concessions and draft to get the mid-fielders and small forwards to improve the teams attack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 am 
Bruce Doull

Wildman wrote:
camelboy wrote:
McLachlan clarifies decision to reject priority pick requests
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/25/ ... -requests/

Quote:
The AFL Commission yesterday rejected the struggling clubs' proposal of securing an extra, early pick to fast-track their respective rebuilds.

“With these things you’re trying to look at the objective and a bit of the subjective assessment of the clubs and where they’re at,” McLachlan told SEN’s Whateley.

“If you help then you’re doing that at the expense of the competition generally.

“There was an assessment that the clubs had a lot of young talent, I think Carlton have got 18 first round picks and they’ll get the number one pick again this year.

“Gold Coast have got 15 first round picks on their list and they’re going to get picks two and 15 this year if Tom Lynch goes to another club, which is I think accepted, so they’ll get pick 3 as well.

“So there was a view that they needed some mature bodies.”

The Blues and the Suns will instead receive priority access to two state level players each, as reported by SEN Time On host Sam McClure last month.

Did the AFL Commission really look at the number of first round picks Carlton has as a basis for deciding on the health of our list? This is part of the strange phenomena that has developed since the draft was introduced. Where a player is picked in the draft is merely a starting point for a players career, once all the new players lands at a club which pick they were in the draft becomes irrelevant as their performance or lack of is their measure as a player. It is regularly raised when discussing the trading of a player, when all it really represents is the value a club placed on an 18 year old junior footballer. So if the club had kept Kane Lucas, Josh Bootsma and Blaine Boakhurst on the list Gil would have been able to say we have 21 first rounders on our list. Not to forget that our most consistent player in the last 15 years Kade Simpson is merely a fourth round pick. The first round picks we have traded into the club are nearly all on their second chance having struggled at their original club due to injury, attitude and a failure to live up to their potential. And that's all it is potential, Gil is assessing the potential of the list based on when a number of the players were selected in the draft, while the performance has been disappointing. It's probably just as well, I would have preferred the club use pick 11 or 19 on a good young mid-fielder rather than hand it to Adelaide for another tall forward. I'm not sure that tall forwards is what we lack, use the concessions and draft to get the mid-fielders and small forwards to improve the teams attack.

I get what you're saying, but as a rough rule, the amount of 1st round picks means statistically, you should have built a good list - and that'd be right.

History clearly shows that 1st rounders have a much greater chance of playing 100+ games than the remaining 60-70 picks. That doesn't mean there aren't gems late in the draft, or duds in the top 20.

Our 'problem' is that many of our 1st rounders were rejects from GWS/GC etc while we used our own 1st rounders on the Bootmas, the Lucases, the Watsons etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am 
Stephen Silvagni

A blanket "first round" statement by Gil is pretty stupid. David Cuningham at pick 23 was a first round pick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am 
Bruce Doull

He's just regurgitating popular blanket statements da meedya like to push.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
He's just regurgitating popular blanket statements da meedya like to push.

Sure sounds like it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:40 am 
Rod Ashman

Why has no one in the media questioned why Gold Coast gets 3 mature age picks and Carlton only get two?

Who clearly has the worst list ? Based on the only metric that TRULY matters- wins and losses.

Gil and his sycophants in the media must have forgotten Carlton only won 2 matches. 2 matches! Get that in your thick skulls, but it is a true insight into their thinking that even after Carlton suffered its worst season in over 100 years that they are still focused on Gold Coast.

If Carlton ever gets a chance to get revenge on the AFL-namely by winning their fabricated competition in 20 years time- I hope they seize it. Hopefully it is against one of the teams fuelled by the AFL- eg Hawthorn, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS etc -spoil their party.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 am 
Robert Walls

tap in 79 wrote:
Why has no one in the media questioned why Gold Coast gets 3 mature age picks and Carlton only get two?

Very odd.

I also won’t be surprised if Lynch gets them pick 3 and an end of first round pick. And there will be lots of nods about how that is very wise of the AFL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 am 
Bruce Doull

toddkurnski wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

Very odd.

I also won’t be surprised if Lynch gets them pick 3 and an end of first round pick. And there will be lots of nods about how that is very wise of the AFL.

AFL are probably assuming they’ll lose May and Hall as well, and possibly Brodie and Scrimshaw.

Also, I read somewhere that they don’t have the same flexibility we do with how they can use them, but don’t take that as gospel.

Either way, although we finished lower this year, off-field we’re in a much stronger position. They need all the help they can get.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:28 am 
Robert Walls

Donstuie wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

Very odd.

AFL are probably assuming they’ll lose May and Hall as well, and possibly Brodie and Scrimshaw.

Also, I read somewhere that they don’t have the same flexibility we do with how they can use them, but don’t take that as gospel.

Either way, although we finished lower this year, off-field we’re in a much stronger position. They need all the help they can get.

Our Swann, Hughes, Icke and Malthouse tears destroyed us. Gold Coast appear to be in our position at the end of 2014. We sold everything of value at market rates. Do GC now get assistance when they undertake the very same exercise? I know the answer andI get it’s about TV, markets, revenue etc. it will be the hypocrisy of “Carlton sold everything and knew what they were doing” vs “GC just happened to end up here through no fault of their own they need help”. AFL doublespeak will go into overdrive.

I am very happy with what we have done with this rebuild. In a very small way if any success does come it will have been through list management never done before by any team, and I don’t think that is hyperbole.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:41 am 
Bruce Doull

Can't disagree with any of that

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
Carlton and Brisbane (lol) set to swoop on Sturt’s McAdam who is considered a 30-50 range national draft pick
Quote:
STURT livewire Shane McAdam is set to be among the first mature-age players snapped up by either Carlton or Gold Coast before the draft in a move that could see the Crows agree to a trade for Mitch McGovern.

McAdam is considered by recruiters to be among the top five state league players in the country alongside West Adelaide’s Chris Burgess, Norwood’s Mitch Grigg, Western Australian Marlion Pickett and Victorian forward Josh Corbett.

The AFL Commission has reportedly rejected Carlton and Gold Coast’s bid for a priority pick but will grant a concession allowing them to sign two state league players before the draft and without giving up a pick.

The players they select may be traded to another club which has angered some rivals who believe time and money spent scouting mature age state league players this year has been wasted particularly under their football department soft cap.

It’s understood the Crows are keen on Burgess, a 22-year-old forward who can also play in defence, and who has enjoyed a rapid rise from suburban footy to the SANFL with Westies this year.

If Carlton signs Burgess he could form part of a deal along with draft picks to ensure McGovern gets his wish in leaving the Crows to join the Blues for next season.

But McAdam is considered the hottest property in the SANFL this year and a 30-50 selection in the national draft — much like Willie Rioli who was drafted to West Coast from Glenelg at Pick No. 52 in 2016 and is set to play in this Saturday’s AFL grand final.

Sturt football manager Chris Trapp said there had been significant AFL interest in McAdam all season and the club expected he would join Carlton or Gold Coast in coming weeks.

What's the bet that Gold Coast somehow end up with both of these players?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm 
John Nicholls

How? Have GC been given two picks before ours?

Relax - we finished below them. Our pick will be before theirs.

Ken Hunter

Has the AFL's makey-uppey machine decided how these state player "picks" will work? Eg We pick in draft order? Or did the machine overheat from the last round of made up bullshit it produced, and it hasn't yet been decided?
Need to wait for public opinion?

Alex Jesaulenko

Gold Coast have already done their homework on this and as I understand have already locked away the players they wanted, whether this includes Shane McAdam I am unable to say.

However I wouldn’t mind betting that the reason that Gold Coast are allowed to have a go at three players and we are only allowed two, is that Gold Coast has already committed to the two players some time ago and are getting AFL aided flexibility :roll: to get another player who they’ve have lately identified

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
How? Have GC been given two picks before ours?

Relax - we finished below them. Our pick will be before theirs.

We had better wait until the media and Chris Scott tell the AFL how it will work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
Gold Coast have already done their homework on this and as I understand have already locked away the players they wanted, whether this includes Shane McAdam I am unable to say.

However I wouldn’t mind betting that the reason that Gold Coast are allowed to have a go at three players and we are only allowed two, is that Gold Coast has already committed to the two players some time ago and are getting AFL aided flexibility :roll: to get another player who they’ve have lately identified

So the GC already knew this was going to be the outcome (before us) of assistance and has already locked away the likely two best players?

And what are we to do? Scramble for what’s left or try and get in a bidding war for their guys? Or is there a mini draft?

In any case there are not 5 guys running around that are worth picks inside the top 30 in state leagues/lower leagues. Laughable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:13 pm 
Wayne Johnston

toddkurnski wrote:
AGRO wrote:

So the GC already knew this was going to be the outcome (before us) of assistance and has already locked away the likely two best players?

And what are we to do? Scramble for what’s left or try and get in a bidding war for their guys? Or is there a mini draft?

In any case there are not 5 guys running around that are worth picks inside the top 30 in state leagues/lower leagues. Laughable.

Maybe we also already know which two players we need to trade to the cows to get MM and have also already locked them away?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

What is the mechanism in which all these state league players are being locked away?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 pm 
Robert Walls

sinbagger wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Maybe we also already know which two players we need to trade to the cows to get MM and have also already locked them away?

The higher quality rumour posters on BF said we were blindsided which would suggest we are scrambling to work out what to do and GC may already have the best couple because they already knew.

Lots of assumptions so you may also be correct but I think the more likely probability lies the other way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 55  Next