Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

The_Cranium wrote:
Effes wrote:
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/jay-clark-says-carlton-and-gold-coast-could-get-priority-picks-at-the-start-of-the-first-round?station=melbourne&geoRedirect=true

Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round
On the Rush Hour
Rudi Edsall Rudi Edsall
12 mins ago
Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round Image: AAP

Triple M Footy news breaker Jay Clark says that the AFL are looking at giving Carlton and Gold Coast priority picks at the start of the first round of the 2018 draft.

Speaking on the Rush Hour today, Jay-Z said that the thinking had previously been that the two struggling sides would get the picks at the end of the first round, but that has changed.

It's getting better and better. 1 and 2 :eek:

Then trade pick 1 to Adelaide for 10 and 17 (or whatever they would now have) + a sweetener and 17 to GWS for Shiel and Setterfield. Go to the draft with 2 and 10. Rebuild takes a giant stride forward :thumbsup:

It would be picks 1 and 3. Gold Coast would get picks 2 and 4 and then pick 5 as Lynch compo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
Effes wrote:
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/jay-clark-says-carlton-and-gold-coast-could-get-priority-picks-at-the-start-of-the-first-round?station=melbourne&geoRedirect=true

Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round
On the Rush Hour
Rudi Edsall Rudi Edsall
12 mins ago
Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round Image: AAP

Triple M Footy news breaker Jay Clark says that the AFL are looking at giving Carlton and Gold Coast priority picks at the start of the first round of the 2018 draft.

Speaking on the Rush Hour today, Jay-Z said that the thinking had previously been that the two struggling sides would get the picks at the end of the first round, but that has changed.

It's getting better and better. 1 and 2 :eek:

Then trade pick 1 to Adelaide for 10 and 17 (or whatever they would now have) + a sweetener and 17 to GWS for Shiel and Setterfield. Go to the draft with 2 and 10. Rebuild takes a giant stride forward :thumbsup:

It would be picks 1 and 3. Gold Coast would get picks 2 and 4 and then pick 5 as Lynch compo.

Just going by Jay Clark belief. Which is that the priority pick would follow our first pick so carlton is 1 and 2 and GC 3 and 4 plus 5 for lynch compo... and yes being a bit fanciful with the pick 17 trade. But then again who knows how bad the salary cap squeeze is up there. Maybe it takes pick 10. Who knows. About time we got on the right end of an unfair trade though

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I think the best way to go forward would be similar to the restricted free agency model. E.g. If a free agent from Gold Coast wanted to go to Hawthorn for $750k per year but Carlton offered the player $1 million a year, the Hawks would have to match it. Then the Hawks would be required to make a trade to salary dump and equal the offer or just let it go. Then Gold Coast would still get a compo pick, the player would be traded for their "fair" value and somebody else might pick up a decent player as a salary dump.

That defeats the purpose of the free trade and how would that help Gold Coast in that scenario?

It doesn't really it just evens up the value of the player on the market and stops the top tier clubs getting A Graders for unders. They could use a 5-10% with in the rival offer to make it a little bit sweeter for the destination club.

And how does it help GC, well the player might decide they would rather stay then go to Carlton or they could be getting a player in return that Hawthorn need to remove for salary dumping in a seperate trade.

So if Lynch go to Hawks, Gold Coast loses a proven quality player that it entering his prime, gets a compo pick and some spud that hawks doesn't want and starts the process of recruiting a player with that compo pick, develops them into a potential quality player for the next 6+ years only to be raided again. All this while Hawkes trade up a player that is playing for box hill with a quality key forward. :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

Ok, tick to no forethought. :thumbsup:

I think you're missing the fundamental of the idea and only focusing on the current outcome.

Making the top tier club pay the player what he is worth and having to match a rival clubs bid (especially a Gold Coast/Carlton/North/etc who would have more room in their cap), will slow down the amount of "easy picking" player movement from struggling clubs to top tier clubs.

Yes Gold Coast would only get a top pick if he left, but Hawthorn might not get him and he might have to go to Carlton/North/etc or choose to stay where he is. And the same goes the other way for the Gold Coast, they can bid on other A Graders. That's the point. :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Jay Clarke is actually saying it a little different.

He's suggesting both GC and Carlton get a PP immediatly after their first pick.

So we would get picks 1 & 2 with GC then getting 3 & 4 + 5 for compensation of Lynch.

I gotta say, i am not a fan of Priority Picks at all - but it's hard to say no to that!

Use pick 1 on the best young mid and then trade pick 2 for somebody like Shiel plus maybe another pick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Take Walsh with 1 then pick Rankine with 2.
Then go to GWS and offer our 1st pick next year for Shiel + Setterfield.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Spot on Deano do not give up early picks this draft next one if necessary for Sheil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

Some clown on AFL Tonight is it Sam Clownsville? Not sure of his name had the gall to state re priority picks at front of draft “ now if that was even to be considered by the AFL I think there would be uproar from the other 16 clubs. In fact, I don’t think it will happen purely on the outrage that would cause.”

Then the compere pitched in his unwanted self commentary, Julian DeClown, “yes, no doubt the other clubs would be VERY unhappy if that was the case.”

Let me educate these pillocks.

1- getting an extra draft pick might have been somewhat of a big deal 20 years ago but it is entirely negated by free agency and trading these days.

2- people still believe the draft is a big deal. It isn’t. It’s a lottery. You can’t see what is within a man’s heart and how much he wants it. If drafting was an exact science explain to me how the best NFL player of all time Tom Brady went at pick 199.

It’s a joke and yet the media still believe in the draft for equalisation. Bull.

Ok here’s another suggestion :

Carlton doesn’t get a priority pick but at same time rich clubs have to pay real market value for raids of weaker clubs and top 6 clubs can’t recruit a free agent from a bottom 6 club.

Would there be much of an “uproar” out of this suggestion? Won’t happen, as that would genuinely weaken the top clubs. Giving Carlton a priority pick is relatively benign as the player would probably end up at a top club after 6 years anyway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

tap in 79 wrote:
Some clown on AFL Tonight is it Sam Clownsville? Not sure of his name had the gall to state re priority picks at front of draft “ now if that was even to be considered by the AFL I think there would be uproar from the other 16 clubs. In fact, I don’t think it will happen purely on the outrage that would cause.”

Then the compere pitched in his unwanted self commentary, Julian DeClown, “yes, no doubt the other clubs would be VERY unhappy if that was the case.”

Let me educate these pillocks.

1- getting an extra draft pick might have been somewhat of a big deal 20 years ago but it is entirely negated by free agency and trading these days.

2- people still believe the draft is a big deal. It isn’t. It’s a lottery. You can’t see what is within a man’s heart and how much he wants it. If drafting was an exact science explain to me how the best NFL player of all time Tom Brady went at pick 199.

It’s a joke and yet the media still believe in the draft for equalisation. Bull.

Ok here’s another suggestion :

Carlton doesn’t get a priority pick but at same time rich clubs have to pay real market value for raids of weaker clubs and top 6 clubs can’t recruit a free agent from a bottom 6 club.

Would there be much of an “uproar” out of this suggestion? Won’t happen, as that would genuinely weaken the top clubs. Giving Carlton a priority pick is relatively benign as the player would probably end up at a top club after 6 years anyway

Take Carlton out of the equation and say it was just Gold Coast. No one would give a shit and nothing would be said about it.
These morons in the media will probably get their way again.
Even though even Caro has voiced her concern for Carlton the others will get on their high horses and make a big song and dance about it.
The bottom clubs should join forces and vent their outrage at the top clubs getting all of the good free agents.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Why pay for Shiel this year when we can get him without giving up anything next year.
This doesn't sit well with me at all. We've done too many favors for G.W.S, say we give up pick 10 for Shiel, are we not much better of giving that pick to Sydney for Lloyd.
Go in to 2020 with both Lloyd and Shiel via FA.
The talking heads on fox footy are saying 2 first round picks for Shiel, lol.

Last edited by smithy on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Giants trying to start a bidding war through their whores in the media.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:
Whateley says he cant see the rebuild going anywhere so he cant have it both ways if he cant see rebuild going anywhere ipso facto we need a priority pick as for Robbo he is a priority prick :smoking:

That’s funny!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

smithy wrote:
Why pay for Shiel this year when we can get him without giving up anything next year.
This doesn't sit well with me at all. We've done too many favors for G.W.S, say we give up pick 10 for Shiel, are we not much better of giving that pick to Sydney for Lloyd.

I agree.
In fact, if we get the PP at start of the draft, I'd look at trading our first pick for 2019 for one of GC's picks this year. Would give us 3 of the top 5 picks. Some talk GC will take King brothers as tbey believe it will be easier to keep both of them. If true, we can then take all of Lukosios, Walsh and Rankine. We then throw everything at Shiel as FA next year and even more at Kelly next year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Jon Ralph has tweeted that the AFL has clarified the PP situation.
Apparently PP's before the first round are a thing of the past and any picks will be at the end of the first round.
He actually says in his tweet that it is good news.
Hopefully someone can post the tweet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tap in 79 wrote:
If drafting was an exact science explain to me how the best NFL player of all time Tom Brady went at pick 199.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 am 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin III wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
If drafting was an exact science explain to me how the best NFL player of all time Tom Brady went at pick 199.

:lol:

He led Michigan to victory over ALABAMA in the Orange Bowl with 369 yards, 4 touchdowns.

It wouldn’t matter if he had the physique of Homer Simpson after that, he was a better bet than pick 199.

Either way, getting back to Carlton it has a shite list, and the club is destined to prop up the bottom of the ladder as the AFL likes having dead rubber matches every weekend.

Kerridge kicking the ball out on the full is a particular highlight I look forward to watching next year, relying on a permanently injured ruckman -another highlight. Zoning, 20 plus uncontested marks in defence. Superb. I just hope Lynch gets to Hawthorn too. A travesty otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:21 am 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
smithy wrote:

I agree.
In fact, if we get the PP at start of the draft, I'd look at trading our first pick for 2019 for one of GC's picks this year. Would give us 3 of the top 5 picks. Some talk GC will take King brothers as tbey believe it will be easier to keep both of them. If true, we can then take all of Lukosios, Walsh and Rankine. We then throw everything at Shiel as FA next year and even more at Kelly next year.

:thumbsup: This would be a great result.

Just as long as we can keep Crippa at the end of another tough year next year and we show enough to attract Kelly and Shiel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 am 
Harry Vallence

smithy wrote:

What did we get for Gibbs again? And how would you compare the two for value?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am 
Rod Ashman

The first thing the AFL as an industry has to do is GET RID OF THE MYSTIQUE around the number 1 draft pick.

It is A LOTTERY. Instead of thinking of the number 1 pick as a diamond encrusted ensured success, it should be considered as the first option in a gamble.
It is first roll of the dice at the roulette table Whoopie Doo!

If the number 1 pick was diamond encrusted wouldn't they win the majority of the Rising Star nominations?
Be universally considered as the best pick at every draft?

Naah, the Hawthorn method is better. Let other teams develop a player - whether it is McEvoy, Burgoyne, Lake etc, and then get them to fill in the void at your club after they have had experience and developed.

Pick nearly any draft- and you could mount a case for another player further down the draft order being better.

2006 - B Gibbs number 1- he was good at the Blues...but one could mount a case of others being better
eg
what about Riewoldt pick 13
Frawley 12
Selwood 7
Robbie Gray 55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

LolImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The AFL really want to give GC a early first round PP. They can't figure out how they can justify doing that and not doing the same for Carlton.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 55  Next