Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 am 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I think the best way to go forward would be similar to the restricted free agency model. E.g. If a free agent from Gold Coast wanted to go to Hawthorn for $750k per year but Carlton offered the player $1 million a year, the Hawks would have to match it. Then the Hawks would be required to make a trade to salary dump and equal the offer or just let it go. Then Gold Coast would still get a compo pick, the player would be traded for their "fair" value and somebody else might pick up a decent player as a salary dump.

That defeats the purpose of the free trade and how would that help Gold Coast in that scenario?

It doesn't really it just evens up the value of the player on the market and stops the top tier clubs getting A Graders for unders. They could use a 5-10% with in the rival offer to make it a little bit sweeter for the destination club.

And how does it help GC, well the player might decide they would rather stay then go to Carlton or they could be getting a player in return that Hawthorn need to remove for salary dumping in a seperate trade.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm 
Garry Crane

Obviously this wouldn't work with the ridiculous level of power the player's union has but what about this:

All player recruitment and movement is conducted only through the draft.

No trades. No compensation picks. No priority picks. No zones. No academies.

Last gets first pick and so on up the chain.

If a big name player refuses to sign a contract for their current club they nominate a salary and contract period then go into the draft.

First year draftees have a fixed contract period and salary.

Don't like it? Find alternate employment.

Haven't really gamed this out in my head but I'm sick of the level of power players have in deciding where they go.

Oh, also, #$%@ Essendon***** (they get no picks under my proposed system, nor a license to operate as any ongoing concern)

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 pm 
John Nicholls

I was 50/50 then read the Essendon**** bit. Now I'm a believer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Apparently Maher thinks it will be 1 and 3 for us, 2 and 4 for GC.

Prepare for OUTRAGE!!!!

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:

Prepare for OUTRAGE!!!!

That’s a big 180 from “Maky Uppy HQ” from there stance of a few days ago.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I think the best way to go forward would be similar to the restricted free agency model. E.g. If a free agent from Gold Coast wanted to go to Hawthorn for $750k per year but Carlton offered the player $1 million a year, the Hawks would have to match it. Then the Hawks would be required to make a trade to salary dump and equal the offer or just let it go. Then Gold Coast would still get a compo pick, the player would be traded for their "fair" value and somebody else might pick up a decent player as a salary dump.

That defeats the purpose of the free trade and how would that help Gold Coast in that scenario?

It doesn't really it just evens up the value of the player on the market and stops the top tier clubs getting A Graders for unders. They could use a 5-10% with in the rival offer to make it a little bit sweeter for the destination club.

And how does it help GC, well the player might decide they would rather stay then go to Carlton or they could be getting a player in return that Hawthorn need to remove for salary dumping in a seperate trade.

So if Lynch go to Hawks, Gold Coast loses a proven quality player that it entering his prime, gets a compo pick and some spud that hawks doesn't want and starts the process of recruiting a player with that compo pick, develops them into a potential quality player for the next 6+ years only to be raided again. All this while Hawkes trade up a player that is playing for box hill with a quality key forward. :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:

Prepare for OUTRAGE!!!!

Good. Let them squeal like pigs :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cant see us getting 1 and 4 imagine the outrage - it will be outstanding if it does happen though - now tell me the one about the 3 little bears :smoking:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Like I said I wouldn’t be holding my breath for actual priory picks

Didn't realise they were on the table but it's a good idea, we could use some divine inspiration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Like I said I wouldn’t be holding my breath for actual priory picks

Didn't realise they were on the table but it's a good idea, we could use some divine inspiration.

Be good to get the basilica in assisi if that's on the table. Excellent area for pre season training.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 pm 
John Nicholls

AGRO wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Prepare for OUTRAGE!!!!

That’s a big 180 from “Maky Uppy HQ” from there stance of a few days ago.

:thumbsup:

Which was what exactly?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/ne ... irect=true

Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round
On the Rush Hour
Rudi Edsall Rudi Edsall
12 mins ago
Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round Image: AAP

Triple M Footy news breaker Jay Clark says that the AFL are looking at giving Carlton and Gold Coast priority picks at the start of the first round of the 2018 draft.

Speaking on the Rush Hour today, Jay-Z said that the thinking had previously been that the two struggling sides would get the picks at the end of the first round, but that has changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

I’m sure that got unanimous support

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Effes wrote:
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/jay-clark-says-carlton-and-gold-coast-could-get-priority-picks-at-the-start-of-the-first-round?station=melbourne&geoRedirect=true

Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round
On the Rush Hour
Rudi Edsall Rudi Edsall
12 mins ago
Jay Clark Says Carlton And Gold Coast Could Get Priority Picks At The Start Of The First Round Image: AAP

Triple M Footy news breaker Jay Clark says that the AFL are looking at giving Carlton and Gold Coast priority picks at the start of the first round of the 2018 draft.

Speaking on the Rush Hour today, Jay-Z said that the thinking had previously been that the two struggling sides would get the picks at the end of the first round, but that has changed.

It's getting better and better. 1 and 2 :eek:

Then trade pick 1 to Adelaide for 10 and 17 (or whatever they would now have) + a sweetener and 17 to GWS for Shiel and Setterfield. Go to the draft with 2 and 10. Rebuild takes a giant stride forward :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

The_Cranium wrote:
Effes wrote:
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/jay-clark-says-carlton-and-gold-coast-could-get-priority-picks-at-the-start-of-the-first-round?station=melbourne&geoRedirect=true

On the Rush Hour
Rudi Edsall Rudi Edsall
12 mins ago

Then trade pick 1 to Adelaide for 10 and 17 (or whatever they would now have) + a sweetener and 17 to GWS for Shiel and Setterfield. Go to the draft with 2 and 10. Rebuild takes a giant stride forward :thumbsup:

And GWS would accept this deal :screwy:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

This seems like one of those AFL leaks a potential idea early to gauge public opinion before confirming

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

Effes wrote:
This seems like one of those AFL leaks a potential idea early to gauge public opinion before confirming

Ultimately, Whately and Slobbo will decide our fate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

good idea to do leak now when 10 teams are focussed on getting into the finals and the draft is 4 or so months away

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Whateley says he cant see the rebuild going anywhere so he cant have it both ways if he cant see rebuild going anywhere ipso facto we need a priority pick as for Robbo he is a priority prick :smoking:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

The_Cranium wrote:
Effes wrote:

On the Rush Hour
Rudi Edsall Rudi Edsall
12 mins ago

Pick 17 for Shiel AND Setterfield? You havin a laugh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 55  Next