Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am 
John Nicholls

"Saved us" ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:57 am 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
"Saved us" ?

In reference to what I wrote?

Absolutely saved us. If we'd been able to trade in those players we never would have been in our current enviable position of having pick 1.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am 
John Nicholls

DesEnglish wrote:
robertbb wrote:
"Saved us" ?

In reference to what I wrote?

Absolutely saved us. If we'd been able to trade in those players we never would have been in our current enviable position of having pick 1.

I actually have no idea if you're being sarcastic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DesEnglish wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Brad Scott speaking out against them now

No doubt he also spoke out against the corrupt methodology they'll implement to snare Tarryn Thomas which is shafting the other 17 clubs?

Tarryn Thomas going to North is good for the AFL, just as Heeney and Mills would have been lost to rugby, this enables the AFL to keep these players in the system.

Next thing you'll be bitching and forgetting how Hawthorn saved us from getting Mitchell and JOM, imagine what they would have done to our rebuild!

Yeah. I forgot. Since he was 12, Thomas has lived in the rugby stronghold of......Tasmania :lol:
He's played AFL since he was 12 and been in development programs since. Lucky North stepped in to save him from going into the open draft.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

Roos' idea forgets the reason why the salary cap was brought in in the first place; trying to avoid an unwinnable arms race. Great idea, have unprofitable clubs (who are largely unprofitable due to not winning much of late) throw good money after bad. It's not the 20-25 players that are the issue either, it's the 25-30 who chase flags, not cash.

We're also making the assumption here that GC won't match the offer. They should. And we should find a way to provide incentives for that. Wouldn't necessarily be against a hypothetical approach of "Match the offer for Lynch, and you can have Levi for free. Don't, and you can pay top dollar for him, knowing full well he's the only established key forward on the market that would go there".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm 
Garry Crane

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
We're also making the assumption here that GC won't match the offer. They should. And we should find a way to provide incentives for that. Wouldn't necessarily be against a hypothetical approach of "Match the offer for Lynch, and you can have Levi for free. Don't, and you can pay top dollar for him, knowing full well he's the only established key forward on the market that would go there".

If Gold Coast matches the Tom Lynch offer they lose the compensation draft pick (pick 3). That was my understanding. In that scenario they are incentivised to NOT match the offer and let him go to Richmond/Collingwood/Hawthorn.

To avoid a two tier system where the bottom clubs become feeders to the top clubs the AFL needs to tinker with free-agency at the next CBA. Again, my preference would be bottom four free-agents can only go to top four clubs if the top four club loses a free-agent in the same year on similar money (+/- 10%). This still allows plenty of free-agent movement especially for middle of table clubs but with some protections and restrictions for the poorest and strongest clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

dlb99 wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

If Gold Coast matches the Tom Lynch offer they lose the compensation draft pick (pick 3). That was my understanding. In that scenario they are incentivised to NOT match the offer and let him go to Richmond/Collingwood/Hawthorn.

To avoid a two tier system where the bottom clubs become feeders to the top clubs the AFL needs to tinker with free-agency at the next CBA. Again, my preference would be bottom four free-agents can only go to top four clubs if the top four club loses a free-agent in the same year on similar money (+/- 10%). This still allows plenty of free-agent movement especially for middle of table clubs but with some protections and restrictions for the poorest and strongest clubs.

If they match it, then it becomes a bidding war between Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

GC lose pick 3, which makes our negotiations over potentially trading pick 1 that much stronger, makes an end of first round priority pick that much more lucrative (aside from it going up one slot, the above 3 teams will need to make an effort to get together a lucrative package to seal the deal).

Do the Gold Coast want another top draft pick? As was suggested in the Sun today - a package of Burton, Schoenmakers and a mid-ranged pick seems far more alluring to them, or Richmond's first, and a trio of guys like Bolton, Lloyd and Miles seems far more beneficial to them in the context of survival.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sam McLure is saying that Carlton and Gold Coast are set to be given priority access to state level talent. Each club can take two players each.
On top of that both clubs will also receive an extra pick that could carry the condition that they have to trade it to another club.
There will be no early round PP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

kezza wrote:
Sam McLure is saying that Carlton and Gold Coast are set to be given priority access to state level talent. Each club can take two players each.
On top of that both clubs will also receive an extra pick that could carry the condition that they have to trade it to another club.

https://twitter.com/JakeNiallTHEAGE/status/1032201956452782080

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Not sure about the PP's having to be traded.
What is stop another club from screwing us over knowing that we have to trade it and leaving it until late in the trade period.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

There may not be any state league players that are any good this year anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
kezza wrote:

https://twitter.com/JakeNiallTHEAGE/status/1032201956452782080

Thanks for the late news Jake.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Pretty shithouse solution

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

If the state league players are not included outside the list and salary cap, they can belt it up their arse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Name a couple of state league players that would walk into our side ? rookie's at best for mine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

We have become everything we despised and mocked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
There may be no priority picks at all this year - “Maky Uppy HQ” are considering another measure to assist the bottom 3 or 4 clubs. Involving pre-listing the best young players in the Senior State Leagues.

You’re welcome Sam and Jake.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:58 am 
Bob Chitty

A pick we have to trade that afl determines the worth ... Welcome aboard Dylan Shiel and we keep pick 1? And two roughies as free hits to turn into something aka Tim Kelly?

I can live with that

Trade pick 1 for multiple picks? Maybe pick 2 & 3 if gc would do it?

In a scenario where we went up with Shiel, Walsh, Rankine and two state league potential players is something I find highly palpable ...

Cone on SOS weave your magic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:56 am 
Bob Chitty

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
A pick we have to trade that afl determines the worth ... Welcome aboard Dylan Shiel and we keep pick 1? And two roughies as free hits to turn into something aka Tim Kelly?

I can live with that

Trade pick 1 for multiple picks? Maybe pick 2 & 3 if gc would do it?

In a scenario where we went up with Shiel, Walsh, Rankine and two state league potential players is something I find highly palpable ...

Cone on SOS weave your magic

GC will trade 2 and 3 for 1? I’ll have what you’re having please

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:03 am 
Rod Ashman

The four bottom teams in the NRL have collectively 26 wins. The AFL’s bottom 4 have 15 wins collectively.

But yeah I’ll keep swallowing the media narrative that a priority pick is the biggest evil of our time. Oh Gerard Wheatley I look to you as a Geelong supporter for guidance, please advise us all.

Here is the best solution- get rid of the draft. The NRL don’t have it and their game is far more unpredictable.

Didn’t the Eels thrash the Dragons the other week by about 46 to 6?

That’s the equivalent of Carlton beating Hawthorn by 100 points!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 55  Next