Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

Stefchook wrote:
According to Peter Ryan from The Age, what we need is not a priority pick but better administrators. :banghead:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nat ... crpt=index

Of course, he's right that draft picks alone are never the solution. But, Peter, which administrators should we get rid of at Carlton? And where exactly are we going to find those select few 'magical' administrators who will solve all our problems? If you hadn't noticed, the richest and currently most successful clubs are the ones who are best able to lure the best administrators in the first place.

And in case you're wondering, Peter Ryan barracks for Collingwood. I wonder if he's willing to give up Scott Pendlebury, if he's so convinced of the unimportance of priority picks.

This is typical of the kind of nearsightedness (or pure self-interest) we continually get from coaches and (club supporting) media commentators.

All this stuff is written from a club partisan perspective. If they'd take a step back and look at the health of the league then it's a no-brainer. Surely the ideal scenario is that in any given year as many clubs as possible can realistically challenge for the flag or at least to make the finals and this remains a real possibility for as long in the season as possible.

If you accept that then you have to favour substantial assistance to clubs who have been in the bottom four for an extended period.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm 
Garry Crane

tap in 79 wrote:
Scott on AFL360 said a lot about Geelong’s expectations in this time of “equalisation” is that “in their business plan we aim to make top 4 every year.” And it’s a realistic aim cause each year they can take players from other clubs to bolster the young players they bring in. Those young players aren’t thrown to the wolves as they are in poor clubs.

It is not realistic for Geelong to make top 4 every year, they did not do it this year and won't do it next year either. Dalhaus level free-agents will not move the needle at all.

Clearly: Richmond, Melbourne, West Coast, GWS are far better. Adelaide, Collingwood, Hawthorn & Essendon* likely better too. Heck I expect the Bulldogs to finish higher than Geelong next season.

They missed their chance in 2016, embarrassed themselves against Sydney.
Selwood, Hawkins past 30.

Geelong had a great successful run between 2007 - 2011.
Had a decent, unsuccessful, run between 2012 - 2018.
Won't make finals in 2019.

Will fall off a cliff at some point, sooner rather than later.
I will enjoy seeing the Geelong mafia squirm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

dlb99 wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Scott on AFL360 said a lot about Geelong’s expectations in this time of “equalisation” is that “in their business plan we aim to make top 4 every year.” And it’s a realistic aim cause each year they can take players from other clubs to bolster the young players they bring in. Those young players aren’t thrown to the wolves as they are in poor clubs.

It is not realistic for Geelong to make top 4 every year, they did not do it this year and won't do it next year either. Dalhaus level free-agents will not move the needle at all.

Clearly: Richmond, Melbourne, West Coast, GWS are far better. Adelaide, Collingwood, Hawthorn & Essendon** likely better too. Heck I expect the Bulldogs to finish higher than Geelong next season.

I get the logic of what you are saying....Geelong is playing the wrong style of football, etc, but really a counter argument could be despite their age demographic they do have an ability to draft well WHILST they are raping the best players from other clubs.
That Cockatoo guy should be good, they got that bloke out of the Geelong league etc.

With one or two different umpiring decisions vs Melbourne, if they played Cockatoo etc, they could have perhaps had a different result.

Believe me, no one would be happier if Geelong falls of a cliff than me...but they have Dangerfield, they have Selwood etc. Once those players go I can relax. I think they will still make the finals next year - barring injury- perhaps top 4 is out of reach....but going on the evidence of last 15 years Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney should make the finals again next year. The system (in particular free agency and trading) is geared to assist them to stay in top 8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

tap in 79 wrote:
dlb99 wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

Clearly: Richmond, Melbourne, West Coast, GWS are far better. Adelaide, Collingwood, Hawthorn & Essendon*** likely better too. Heck I expect the Bulldogs to finish higher than Geelong next season.

I get the logic of what you are saying....Geelong is playing the wrong style of football, etc, but really a counter argument could be despite their age demographic they do have an ability to draft well WHILST they are raping the best players from other clubs.
That Cockatoo guy should be good, they got that bloke out of the Geelong league etc.

With one or two different umpiring decisions vs Melbourne, if they played Cockatoo etc, they could have perhaps had a different result.

Believe me, no one would be happier if Geelong falls of a cliff than me...but they have Dangerfield, they have Selwood etc. Once those players go I can relax. I think they will still make the finals next year - barring injury- perhaps top 4 is out of reach....but going on the evidence of last 15 years Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney should make the finals again next year. The system (in particular free agency and trading) is geared to assist them to stay in top 8.

From the start of next season they’ll have 10 players over 29 years old, these include Ablett , H Taylor, J Selwood, S Selwood, Hawkins, Crameri, Tuohy, Hawkins, Hendo, Dangerfield. If they don’t win a premiership in the next two years (which I don’t think they will) they’ll be in serious trouble with their list. Make no mistake, as their ladder position has suggested this year they are on the way down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:19 pm 
Garry Crane

tap in 79 wrote:

Let's say Geelong, Hawthorn & Sydney make the 8 in 2019. Will they do any damage?

Personally I see Geelong and Sydney missing out.

Richmond leaped them all in 2017/2018 & Melbourne looks like they have leaped them too this year.

Geelong are merely treading water at best. They have cliff written all over them; their list has a worrying demographic (for them).

If we get our act together, we should kick their behind in 2020.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Luckily we locked away Charlie or they'd be into him big time. Local boy and all.
They might try it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:35 am 
Garry Crane

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Luckily we locked away Charlie or they'd be into him big time. Local boy and all.

Charlie will be a Blue for life.

Geelong can wish all they want; he's ours. I hope he kicks 10 on them one day.

I can't wait until we start consistently beating Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide. I hate them all just about as much as Essendon*.

We have been beat-down since 2002. If we properly turn the wheel our way there will be many scores to settle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am 
Geoff Southby

dlb99 wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I can't wait until we start consistently beating Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide. I hate them all just about as much as Essendon**.

We have been beat-down since 2002. If we properly turn the wheel our way there will be many scores to settle.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
dlb99 wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I can't wait until we start consistently beating Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide. I hate them all just about as much as Essendon***.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:57 pm 
John James

HERALDSUN.COM.AU ›
AFL won’t use discretionary powers to hand out priority picks, says clubs must apply
SEPTEMBER 12, 2018
THE AFL says clubs including Carlton will have to officially apply for priority picks next week as four battling teams talk to the league about special assistance.

St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean confirmed to the Herald Sun this week the Saints were conducting informal talks with football boss Steve Hocking about some kind of assistance.

‘NOT INTERESTED’: WILL BLUES SEEK PRIORITY PICK?

MORE WOE: SUNS’ SURPRISE CAP CRUNCH

Patrick Cripps would hope a priority pick would give him some help at the Blues. Picture: AFL Media/Getty Images
Lethlean was noncommittal about the Saints lodging an official request, with many forms of help available under the league’s unfettered powers.

Brisbane confirmed last week they would put in an official request after 17 wins in four years, with Carlton and Gold Coast also talking to the AFL.

The AFL Commission will make a decision on those selections at its meeting on Brownlow Medal day.

Blues chief executive Cain Liddle said last week the Blues didn’t actually apply for a priority pick when their powerbrokers presented to the AFL Commission recently.

“In terms of, ‘Did we ask for a priority pick, we didn’t,’” Liddle said.

“We simply went in and said, ‘This is our situation’.

The Saints are yet to ask the AFL for a priority pick. Picture: AFL Media/Getty Images
“At the end of the day the special assistance is completely discretionary as a recommendation from the (AFL) executive.”

But an AFL spokesman said yesterday clubs would still need to officially put in a submission despite the rules giving the AFL total discretion to hand clubs special assistance and priority picks.

“The clubs still need to formally apply in the form of a letter that sets out their case,” he said.

“It might be only a couple of pages setting on their reasons but they would have had conversations with the AFL prior to that.

“Once it’s in the AFL executive will look at it and pass on a recommendation to the AFL Commission who have the final call.”

Brisbane has confirmed it will seek a priority pick. Picture: AAP
Carlton, Gold Coast and Brisbane have been perennial underachievers, while the Saints had won 23 games over the past two years before the disappointing four and a half win year.

The Lions won only four games but had a percentage of 89.1 and could secure midfield star Lachie Neale from Fremantle for pick 4 in the upcoming draft period.

The AFL has made clear it won’t hand clubs a pre-draft priority pick but might hand them a pick after the first 10 picks in the draft — the non finalists — or at the end of the first round.

It might also allow clubs special dispensation or access to state-league stars ahead of the draft.

The league has continually stressed its desire to shorten the period needed for a club to rebuild, with Carlton winning five wooden spoons this century.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:38 am 
Robert Walls

Dear Gil

We are shit and not in a discrete way. It’s all our fault. If only we had been caught injecting our players with a cocktail of drugs. Then you could help us without feeling guilty or having to deal with the media giving you a hard time. We are good blokes you can have a beer with?

Sincerely
The Rabble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 am 
Ken Hunter

Dear Gil
Can we buy one spin of the AFL Makey-Uppey machine to see what we might get?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Darling facist bullyboy,
Give us a priority pick you bastard.
May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman,
Cain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

toddkurnski wrote:
Dear Gil

We are shit and not in a discrete way. It’s all our fault. If only we had been caught injecting our players with a cocktail of drugs. Then you could help us without feeling guilty or having to deal with the media giving you a hard time. We are good blokes you can have a beer with?

Sincerely
The Rabble

OMG YES.
Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
Darling facist bullyboy,
Cain

Dear Cain
You are a marked man.
Get knicked
Abel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 am 
Vale 1953-2020

rhino27 wrote:
Darling facist bullyboy,
Cain
Have you seen Gill. He's hardly in a position to be facist.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 am 
John Nicholls

Comical.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 am 
Harry Vallence

toddkurnski wrote:
Dear Gil

Sincerely
The Rabble

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am 
Rod Ashman

Megaman wrote:
Dear Gil
Can we buy one spin of the AFL Makey-Uppey machine to see what we might get?

We have no hope.

The roulette wheel is Red and Black !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 am 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
Darling facist bullyboy,
Cain

Also, have we got a video?!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 55  Next