Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

dadadadada wrote:
We might just get lucky with this

The AFL will have to give us whatever they want to give to GC and they know that a middle first round or after first round will not be good enough for them

Agree AFL will moderate and facilitate the trade, this effort will be our special assistance for 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm 
formerly King Kenny

I would lay a big bet on pick 12 coming our way, with it arranged it goes to Adelaide for McGovern and maybe other picks exchanged.

Pre-mediation event ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think as Scott from Geelong states, “by design” Geelong wanted to lose that game tonight. Might be time for Geelong to raid other clubs for players. Poor old Tuohy & Henderson.

Under these conditions of Geelong trying to get into their 20th final in a row perhaps Scott is justified in saying Carlton doesn’t deserve the priority pick “by design”.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 am 
Bob Chitty

tap in 79 wrote:
I think as Scott from Geelong states, “by design” Geelong wanted to lose that game tonight. Might be time for Geelong to raid other clubs for players. Poor old Tuohy & Henderson.

Under these conditions of Geelong trying to get into their 20th final in a row perhaps Scott is justified in saying Carlton doesn’t deserve the priority pick “by design”.

Our failures as a club don’t entitle us to anything

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:55 am 
Rod Ashman

Menzel_Mayhem wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

Our failures as a club don’t entitle us to anything

And we shouldn't assume that just because the AFL are going to help GC that they're going to help us.

I see a scenario where we get nothing because they don't want to 'compromise the integrity' of the competition by artificially increasing Carlton's competitiveness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:10 pm 
Garry Crane

DesEnglish wrote:
And we shouldn't assume that just because the AFL are going to help GC that they're going to help us.

I see a scenario where we get nothing because they don't want to 'compromise the integrity' of the competition by artificially increasing Carlton's competitiveness

You see them helping Gold Coast and bypassing us?

Nope, they know that us Carlton fans would burn AFL House down if they help 4-win GC, but do not help 2-win Carlton.

In the real world, we will both get the same help. We got lucky that our suckiness this year coincides with Gold Coast.

Last edited by dlb99 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 pm 
Garry Crane

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Chris Scott speaking out again. C u next Tuesday.

Chris Scott should worry less about other clubs and worry about his own club.

Had their pants pulled down yesterday, last year and the year before. 3 finals wins and 9 finals losses since 2011. He and his club are finals losers. Just making up the numbers.

They raided us for Henderson and Tuohy. They traded for Dangerfield and have won nothing. Complete arrogance.

Shut your pie-hole Chris Scott.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Dunno why, and I may be wrong, but I get the sense that people don't like Chris Scott. lol

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

dlb99 wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Chris Scott speaking out again. C u next Tuesday.

Chris Scott should worry less about other clubs and worry about his own club.

Had their pants pulled down yesterday, last year and the year before. 3 finals wins and 9 finals losses since 2011. He and his club are finals losers. Just making up the numbers.

They raided us for Henderson and Tuohy. They traded for Dangerfield and have won nothing. Complete arrogance.

Shut your pie-hole Chris Scott.

Well said, Dangerfied should also stop drinking his own bath water and get back to being the player he could be. His comments over the Curnow incident involving the umpire was so egotistic and out of place. Dangerfield loves to hear the sound of his own voice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:03 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Whately will have Chris Scott all over foxfooty now with his speeeeccccial comments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 am 
Rod Ashman

dlb99 wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

You see them helping Gold Coast and bypassing us?

Nope, they know that us Carlton fans would burn AFL House down if they help 4-win GC, but do not help 2-win Carlton.

In the real world, we will both get the same help. We got lucky that our suckiness this year coincides with Gold Coast.

Do you think they can’t manipulate it? They control FA compensation and could easily rule Lynch is worth two picks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:51 pm 
Garry Crane

DesEnglish wrote:
Do you think they can’t manipulate it? They control FA compensation and could easily rule Lynch is worth two picks.

This will not happen.

Rumour is the Lynch year one pay will be $800,000, which in actuality will mean he will not be worth pick 3
compensation. That pay is massively unders.

Obviously, the AFL will provide pick 3 for him, but not two picks.

No need to jump at imaginary shadows.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:53 pm 
Garry Crane

Rexy wrote:
Whately will have Chris Scott all over foxfooty now with his speeeeccccial comments

Geelong mafia?

Maybe Geelong should ask for a priority pick for their embarrassing effort on Friday. They only way for them is down.

Maybe Sydney will ask for the COLA to be restored.

As much as I dislike most of the teams in the eight, it was nice to see Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney lose. Hopefully it will be a trend that continues for years to come.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

dlb99 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Geelong mafia?

Maybe Geelong should ask for a priority pick for their embarrassing effort on Friday. They only way for them is down.

Maybe Sydney will ask for the COLA to be restored.

As much as I dislike most of the teams in the eight, it was nice to see Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney lose. Hopefully it will be a trend that continues for years to come.

An argument could be made for Geelong to have a -ve COLA, ie a reduced salary cap. This would be on the very reasonable grounds that it's a lot cheaper living in Geelong than say Melbourne or Sydney. Not only that, but the local players have enourmous opportunities for appearance money etc.

Can't see Whately or Scott making that particular argument though. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:32 am 
Craig Bradley

According to Peter Ryan from The Age, what we need is not a priority pick but better administrators. :banghead:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nat ... crpt=index

Of course, he's right that draft picks alone are never the solution. But, Peter, which administrators should we get rid of at Carlton? And where exactly are we going to find those select few 'magical' administrators who will solve all our problems? If you hadn't noticed, the richest and currently most successful clubs are the ones who are best able to lure the best administrators in the first place.

And in case you're wondering, Peter Ryan barracks for Collingwood. I wonder if he's willing to give up Scott Pendlebury, if he's so convinced of the unimportance of priority picks.

This is typical of the kind of nearsightedness (or pure self-interest) we continually get from coaches and (club supporting) media commentators.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 am 
Harry Vallence

Stefchook wrote:
According to Peter Ryan from The Age, what we need is not a priority pick but better administrators. :banghead:

Of course, he's right that draft picks alone are never the solution. But, Peter, which administrators should we get rid of at Carlton? And where exactly are we going to find those select few 'magical' administrators who will solve all our problems? If you hadn't noticed, the richest and currently most successful clubs are the ones who are best able to lure the best administrators in the first place.

And in case you're wondering, Peter Ryan barracks for Collingwood. I wonder if he's willing to give up Scott Pendlebury, if he's so convinced of the unimportance of priority picks.

This is typical of the kind of nearsightedness (or pure self-interest) we continually get from coaches and (club supporting) media commentators.

Agenda driven journalism, it's such a prick of an industry, most of them need a good clip. Doesn't seem to be many voices out there for us any more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 pm 
Garry Crane

Why are folks, and journo's, talking about the Saints getting a Priority Pick?

They absolutely should get nothing this year.

Let's look at recent history.

2015:
Carlton - 18th
Brisbane - 17th
Gold Coast - 16th
St Kilda - 14th

2016:
Brisbane - 17th
Gold Coast - 15th
Carlton - 14th
St Kilda - 9th

2017:
Brisbane - 18th
Gold Coast - 17th
Carlton - 16th
St Kilda - 11th

2018:
Carlton - 18th
Gold Coast - 17h
St Kilda - 16th
Brisbane - 15th

Brisbane received a Priority Pick, pick 19, at the end of the 2016 season.

Gold Coast and Carlton should receive a priority pick this year for similar reasons to Brisbane. Both teams should receive the same consessions.

Until St Kilda are consistently in the bottom three they should get nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:05 pm 
Garry Crane

Stefchook wrote:

Journalistic garbage.

Brisbane got a priority pick in 2016. But he brushes that aside as nothing. It was something. Treat everyone equally, they got one, we should get one.

We are replacing our fitness and midfield coaches. We have a new CEO and new head of Football. We now finally have a list manager, and a good one, but they results are not showing yet since we have a hole in our list (23-27 age bracket) and our injury list in 2018 was diabolical.

This begging for priority picks is embarrassing. The old 4 wins or less rule was a disgrace and did lead to tanking. Now we have a mystery box formula that the AFL will not describe. Make a rule you flamin' idiots!!

Say 5 years in a row in the bottom eight, you get an end of round 1 pick. Something like that. No one will tank for 5 years in a row to be in the bottom eight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluechucky wrote:
Dunno why, and I may be wrong, but I get the sense that people don't like Chris Scott. lol

I haven't got any strong feelings about Scott, it's the club he coaches I can't stand. I've got a friend who is a life long Dees fan, he wasn't confident they could beat Geelong. I told him Melbourne were a sure thing at the G, that Geelong are a mob of flat track bullies who lack depth. Very pleased to be proved right, next year should see Geelong missing the finals. The superstars are aging, many of the youngsters aren't up to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Stefchook wrote:

Of course

What I mainly pick up from reading an article like that is the huge media hysteria, hyperventilating and panic about a thing called a “priority pick”. If they went back to a system where you get pick 1 & 2 in a good draft then some analysis needed but the AFL won’t go back to that, so really pick 12 or 16 or whatever is basically just chicken feed.

Even if you get early pick you need luck/wisdom eg choosing Cotchin instead of Kreuzer.

I would quite willingly not allow priority picks if the trade off was Geelong etc not being able to raid poor clubs.

Scott on AFL360 said a lot about Geelong’s expectations in this time of “equalisation” is that “in their business plan we aim to make top 4 every year.” And it’s a realistic aim cause each year they can take players from other clubs to bolster the young players they bring in. Those young players aren’t thrown to the wolves as they are in poor clubs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 55  Next