Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Paddycripps wrote:
kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:
The silly thing is we're only talking about pick #19.

It wasn't that long ago that the well argued position was that any club that won four or less games in a season needed a significant boost and would get a pick at the start of the first round. It wasn't an instant cure for a bad list, but it did give the supporters a bit more to hopeful about come the next season.

The AFL didn't realise at the time that a club that had won four games with only a few to play might not be so keen to win that fifth game and lose the pick. Oops. :roll:

Now, even after FA has been introduced, (which makes things even harder for the bottom teams), the original argument seems to have been totally forgotten. If you'll excuse the paranoia I think being Carlton seems to have brought out a lot more "anti-PP" sentiment, (see some of the replies to Judd's comment*).

Well we're a serious chance to finish the season with two or less wins I reckon and the AFL might like to revisit the original argument for PPs now that the rules that allowed for tanking have been removed.

* I can't believe some of those idiots are claiming that we're tanking for a pick. Don't they understand .... actually scratch that, I doubt that they understand anything much.

You have to wonder how bad a club has to be now to get a PP at the start of the first round.
I think people forget how many other clubs have benefited from PP's in the past and some of those clubs won flags with those extra players.
It has been 11 years since we had a PP.
Maybe the club has played this extremely well, or maybe we really are dumb.

Smart or Dumb.
Look 19, 24, 27 is OK given SOS is good at wheeling and dealing.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don't know the draft rules well, but if GCS gets an extra first rounder for Lynch, doesn't that make our hypothetical PP #20 , not #19?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

If a team finishing 3-4 clear on the bottom doesn't get a priority pick I do not know what does.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
I don't know the draft rules well, but if GCS gets an extra first rounder for Lynch, doesn't that make our hypothetical PP #20 , not #19?

Yes.
And if Gaff or any other big name players leave via free agency the pick will be even further down.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

Maybe we can package it with the Crows pick for Norf’s first

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

Pick 19 is worthless in the scheme of things. If the AFL are serious about helping pathetic, incompetent, basket case clubs like we are currently, then they wouldn’t blink at offering a genuine PP - pick 1.
Any which way you look at it, it’s a sad, sorry, state of affairs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Where they finish and where the Suns finish at the end of the year probably plays a part in it too.

Suns finish bottom and Lynch departs, I'd say our position changes significantly if we've got pick 3.

I've been thinking along similar lines lately.
Today I was barracking for the GCS against Swans for that reason...plus I feel sorry for GCS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The situaton for icks is almost dire becaus of injury.
Injuries will happen next week.

We've done what we needed to and expected to do to show we are playing the system as it is set up.
We solf the farm to bring in kids ie go to the draft....coming from a loooooonng way back.

Today a kid in the Under 11's, and a really good kid too, was asled yesterday to tell a joke after the win today.

Why are fire fighters better than Carlon?
Because they go up the ladder quicker.

He pinched an old Brizzy joke.

we are the butt of the media and kids. Its ire.

We need to stick to the plan, but a little help from the AFL, who haven't been helpful since the AFL started back when th Swans came on board....1982 or was it when WCE or Crows did in the late 80's?

1 win!!!!
That's not tanking.
A PP after our first pick or thereabouts is good news for supporters
Hey AFL, give Carlton something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:

It wasn't that long ago that the well argued position was that any club that won four or less games in a season needed a significant boost and would get a pick at the start of the first round. It wasn't an instant cure for a bad list, but it did give the supporters a bit more to hopeful about come the next season.

The AFL didn't realise at the time that a club that had won four games with only a few to play might not be so keen to win that fifth game and lose the pick. Oops. :roll:

Now, even after FA has been introduced, (which makes things even harder for the bottom teams), the original argument seems to have been totally forgotten. If you'll excuse the paranoia I think being Carlton seems to have brought out a lot more "anti-PP" sentiment, (see some of the replies to Judd's comment*).

Well we're a serious chance to finish the season with two or less wins I reckon and the AFL might like to revisit the original argument for PPs now that the rules that allowed for tanking have been removed.

* I can't believe some of those idiots are claiming that we're tanking for a pick. Don't they understand .... actually scratch that, I doubt that they understand anything much.

You have to wonder how bad a club has to be now to get a PP at the start of the first round.
I think people forget how many other clubs have benefited from PP's in the past and some of those clubs won flags with those extra players.

Smart or Dumb.

That is "OK" Paddy - no argument there, but .... as a Blue supporter ask yourself how much better you'd feel about the 2019 season if we added #1 & #2 to that list?

One of the reasons I can be firmly in the "build from the draft" camp is that I've more or less stopped caring that much about whether we win or lose each week. All I do is look to the future. The problem for the AFL is even though I care enough about the Blues to be a member of an online fan site, I've stopped going to games. Not that they really care and me and mine, but I wonder how many other fans feel the same way? I also wonder how long I'll keep this up before I start to lose interest altogether.

That's why the AFL should get serious about a high PP for Carlton. They need to give the disenchanted hope or risk losing them from their audience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigKev wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Smart or Dumb.

That is "OK" Paddy - no argument there, but .... as a Blue supporter ask yourself how much better you'd feel about the 2019 season if we added #1 & #2 to that list?

One of the reasons I can be firmly in the "build from the draft" camp is that I've more or less stopped caring that much about whether we win or lose each week. All I do is look to the future. The problem for the AFL is even though I care enough about the Blues to be a member of an online fan site, I've stopped going to games. Not that they really care and me and mine, but I wonder how many other fans feel the same way? I also wonder how long I'll keep this up before I start to lose interest altogether.

That's why the AFL should get serious about a high PP for Carlton. They need to give the disenchanted hope or risk losing them from their audience.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigKev wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:

Smart or Dumb.

Friend I'm exactly like you.

I don't go to games anymore and even don't watch live often. I record and watch later but to be honest I don't even watch most games recorded anymore. I'm sick of supporting a perennial poor team. And I have a family too do my time is precious.

I agree with you though.

But I just think the AFL don't care anymore. About us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

As an aside if you believe Daisy Pearce picks mean nothing it's all about player development.
If that's the case then Bolts is in strife.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Paddycripps wrote:
As an aside if you believe Daisy Pearce picks mean nothing it's all about player development.
If that's the case then Bolts is in strife.

Daisy Pearce hit the nail on the head with all her points. If anyone can link the discussion for all to hear, please do. Excellent commentary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i'd love to hear it if someone has a link?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 am 
Craig Bradley

Hey, Gil, do you think GC also have a talented list? :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Braithy wrote:

She seems very confident in her view. Mentioned Swans with all their rookies etc and how the system works getting the best out of their players. She felt most kids in the draft have similar talent, that you don't get drafted unless you have talent, so it's all about development.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

So what's our problem? Coaching it would seem. Almost makes SOS' job less important than we might feel it is.

We should get Swans coaches then.

Swans have already promised McVeigh a coaching role.

So they're smart at retaining their talent. Keeping it within their infrastructure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Daisy grew up in a hard core Carlton family.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
Braithy wrote:

She seems very confident in her view. Mentioned Swans with all their rookies etc and how the system works getting the best out of their players. She felt most kids in the draft have similar talent, that you don't get drafted unless you have talent, so it's all about development.

It also helps when you get the kind of salary cap advantage that allows you to recruit in superstars of the league. :hitcomputer: No doubt they're a brilliantly run club. But take out a few key players, and it doesn't matter how many professional foot soldiers you have, you're not going to make top 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Paddycripps wrote:
Braithy wrote:

I'm such a huge believer that any kid who finds their way onto an AFL list can play the game. with a good run of health, in theory a club should be able to develop any player into a positive contributor to the team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 55  Next