Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

a strong Carlton is good for Footy!
It is!
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
That was always the Carlton position.

The AFL Commission don't offer them. Like everything, there's a process. Carlton (the board) knows this. Chris Judd knows this. Trying to deflect responsibility onto the AFL is a bad holding statement. There's nothing wrong with saying 'We'll cross that bridge when we come to it'...'We haven't discussed that at board level yet, so it's inappropriate to make comment on that issue'...or simply 'We won't be making comment on that during the season'.

Unfortunately our club keeps making the same stupid mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

it's a full on game of chicken.

• we won't ask for a PP
• the afl won't give us a PP unless we ask.

at some point someone at our club is going to have to suck it up and ask ... and all the media leeches will be rubbing their mangled hands together at the thought of that day happening.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am 
Harry Vallence

it sounds like there’s a bit of posturing going on at the moment. I’m guessing closer to the end of the season the afl will know if Carlton will be getting a priority pick. If they are likely to give them one, Carlton will be given the green light to submit the application. I agree with doc, they haven’t handled the media’s questioning very well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 am 
Stephen Silvagni

yeah well @#$%&! the AFL then

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 am 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I understand the clubs stance but I fear GC could end up with Pick 1 as a priority pick if we don't apply as well. That would reduce a lot of our bargaining power.

We agree on something. The afl will find a way to diminish our value in favour of GC with the Lynch FA deal.

Back to normal programming soon.

Absolutely. The expansion clubs are the priority.
CFC have 16 flags, over 100 years of history.
Mclachlan has already created the embers saying CFC have a very talented list.
We will get 19 and GC could well get 1.
You all remember that movie Shaft, right?

I'd say the AFL would give Carlton #3 and GC #4 as priority picks.

Carlton #1, #3
GC #2, #4

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
yeah well @#$%&! the AFL then

San Dimas High School Football Rules!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:52 am 
Ken Hunter

The_Cranium wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/115472861833329/posts/1702672436446689/

Subtle change in wording from Chris Judd tonight

But we are not going to just be "offered" one. We have to apply, Gil McLachlan confirmed this in the Herald Sun today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'll be really surprised if it's an early pick. It'll be 19.and that's OK. Way I see it, the draft is a numbers game. The more picks you have theoretically the more likely you are to strike gold. Assuming your talent spotting etc is of a good standard. And potentially can also trade the pick for a decent player.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm 
John James

Pick 19 for Braysha??. Out of Contract at Melbourne,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Age wrote:

Where do I sign?
Pick 24 for Dalhaus
Pick 27 for Wallis

That's how you add depth to the midfield.

Wallis maybe a stretch. I'd offer a later pick for him. If you're super slow you've got to excel at something and not sure he does.

We need experience especially in midfield so the above type of trades is what I think we should be trying to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Braithy wrote:
it's a full on game of chicken.

• we won't ask for a PP
• the afl won't give us a PP unless we ask.

at some point someone at our club is going to have to suck it up and ask ... and all the media leeches will be rubbing their mangled hands together at the thought of that day happening.

Rules are rules though so I assume we have to grovel.
But then the AFL tend to make things up when they like.

I don't like Gill saying we have a talented list, tells me any PP will be 19 not 1 or 2.
Of course he is right, we do have a fair amount of young talent, but many of them are injury prone which is a worry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Here's a thought maybe CFC came out and said we don't need a PP just to drum up media interest in it. If so that's clever. If it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Age wrote:

Where do I sign?
Pick 24 for Dalhaus
Pick 27 for Wallis

That's how you add depth to the midfield.

Wallis maybe a stretch. I'd offer a later pick for him. If you're super slow you've got to excel at something and not sure he does.

We need experience especially in midfield so the above type of trades is what I think we should be trying to do.

Brayshaw is the most improved player in the league this season. 19 would be a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/the-sa ... =Melbourne

LISTEN | Damian Barrett Expects The AFL To Give Carlton A Priority Pick This Year
"My view on it is..."
Triple M Footy Newsroom Triple M Footy Newsroom
40 mins ago
LISTEN | Damian Barrett Expects The AFL To Give Carlton A Priority Pick This Year Image: AAP

Damian Barrett believes the AFL is "brokering behind the scenes" to give Carlton a priority pick at the end of the season, naming when that pick was likely to fall in the draft.
LISTEN TO DAMO'S NEWS:

Barrett strongly believes the AFL is angling towards giving Carlton a priority pick after a 1-15 start to the season.

"My view on it is, and it's pretty strong, that the AFL will give them a priority pick at the end of round one," he said on Triple M's Saturday Rub.

"There's pride here at play here now, because Carlton went public voluntarily about not wanting one, not needing one.

"I'm of a strong view they need the help, and I'm also of a strong view that the AFL is brokering behind the scenes to give them one."

Tune into Brian Taylor, James Brayshaw, Wayne Carey, Billy Brownless, Damian Barrett and everyone else on Triple M's Saturday Rub every weekend from 12 pm ahead of the footy, or subscribe to the Catch Up podcast! Download the Triple M app on iTunes or Google Play.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Barrett also said GC would get a pick at the start of round 1 (for Lynch) - pick 3 most likely.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

The silly thing is we're only talking about pick #19.

It wasn't that long ago that the well argued position was that any club that won four or less games in a season needed a significant boost and would get a pick at the start of the first round. It wasn't an instant cure for a bad list, but it did give the supporters a bit more to hopeful about come the next season.

The AFL didn't realise at the time that a club that had won four games with only a few to play might not be so keen to win that fifth game and lose the pick. Oops. :roll:

Now, even after FA has been introduced, (which makes things even harder for the bottom teams), the original argument seems to have been totally forgotten. If you'll excuse the paranoia I think being Carlton seems to have brought out a lot more "anti-PP" sentiment, (see some of the replies to Judd's comment*).

Well we're a serious chance to finish the season with two or less wins I reckon and the AFL might like to revisit the original argument for PPs now that the rules that allowed for tanking have been removed.

* I can't believe some of those idiots are claiming that we're tanking for a pick. Don't they understand .... actually scratch that, I doubt that they understand anything much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

Effes wrote:
Barrett also said GC would get a pick at the start of round 1 (for Lynch) - pick 3 most likely.

It wouldn't be at the start of round 1 it will be straight after their first pick, which is fair enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

BigKev wrote:

It wasn't that long ago that the well argued position was that any club that won four or less games in a season needed a significant boost and would get a pick at the start of the first round. It wasn't an instant cure for a bad list, but it did give the supporters a bit more to hopeful about come the next season.

The AFL didn't realise at the time that a club that had won four games with only a few to play might not be so keen to win that fifth game and lose the pick. Oops. :roll:

Now, even after FA has been introduced, (which makes things even harder for the bottom teams), the original argument seems to have been totally forgotten. If you'll excuse the paranoia I think being Carlton seems to have brought out a lot more "anti-PP" sentiment, (see some of the replies to Judd's comment*).

Well we're a serious chance to finish the season with two or less wins I reckon and the AFL might like to revisit the original argument for PPs now that the rules that allowed for tanking have been removed.

* I can't believe some of those idiots are claiming that we're tanking for a pick. Don't they understand .... actually scratch that, I doubt that they understand anything much.

You have to wonder how bad a club has to be now to get a PP at the start of the first round.
I think people forget how many other clubs have benefited from PP's in the past and some of those clubs won flags with those extra players.
It has been 11 years since we had a PP.
Maybe the club has played this extremely well, or maybe we really are dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:

You have to wonder how bad a club has to be now to get a PP at the start of the first round.
I think people forget how many other clubs have benefited from PP's in the past and some of those clubs won flags with those extra players.
It has been 11 years since we had a PP.
Maybe the club has played this extremely well, or maybe we really are dumb.

Smart or Dumb.
Look 19, 24, 27 is OK given SOS is good at wheeling and dealing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 55  Next