Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

jake_h03 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
They really just need to piss priority picks off altogether. Ridiculous system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But your'e happy with Free agency?

As an FYI, if they get rid of PP (or a version of) and keep free agency, then bottom teams will remain bottom teams and top teams will keep picking them off. Especially when a player in a bottom team is more valuable to that team than the top team they are going to (i.e. Waite). The AFL will always compensate to the latter (i.e. Nothing).

So what's the harm in a PP to help struggling clubs (i.e. 4 years in the bottom 4), the top teams can't get all the talent......raw or developed. And they will only be pushed down the pecking order 1-3 picks which could then be traded anyway for an in-contract B+ or A-Grader that they have too many of. I would think the AFL would prefer an even comp where each year the bottom or top could be anyone. That puts bums on seats. Hocking and co are just greasing up their mates and teams by denying us anything for years, even if we don't need it. You don't think it's ironic that he now wants to bring in mid season trading now the Cats are on top of the ladder?

So why is it ridiculous?

Because it’s a system that rewards poor performance and is entirely at the discretion of the AFL which has proven time and time again to be a corrupt organisation. I would like the same rules for everyone. The bottom team gets the number one pick, it’s reward enough

Then what's your "same rules for everyone" solution for when it comes to free agency of players and the compensation lottery provided by the AFL and how clubs can cheat that with adjusted contracts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
They really just need to piss priority picks off altogether. Ridiculous system

But your'e happy with Free agency?

As an FYI, if they get rid of PP (or a version of) and keep free agency, then bottom teams will remain bottom teams and top teams will keep picking them off. Especially when a player in a bottom team is more valuable to that team than the top team they are going to (i.e. Waite). The AFL will always compensate to the latter (i.e. Nothing).

So what's the harm in a PP to help struggling clubs (i.e. 4 years in the bottom 4), the top teams can't get all the talent......raw or developed. And they will only be pushed down the pecking order 1-3 picks which could then be traded anyway for an in-contract B+ or A-Grader that they have too many of. I would think the AFL would prefer an even comp where each year the bottom or top could be anyone. That puts bums on seats. Hocking and co are just greasing up their mates and teams by denying us anything for years, even if we don't need it. You don't think it's ironic that he now wants to bring in mid season trading now the Cats are on top of the ladder?

So why is it ridiculous?

Because it’s a system that rewards poor performance and is entirely at the discretion of the AFL which has proven time and time again to be a corrupt organisation. I would like the same rules for everyone. The bottom team gets the number one pick, it’s reward enough

Then what's your "same rules for everyone" solution for when it comes to free agency of players and the compensation lottery provided by the AFL and how clubs can cheat that with adjusted contracts?

It doesn’t need a solution. The same rules apply to everyone. I don’t think it’s a requirement that all teams are equal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Hmmmmm.......righto! I think I’ll leave it here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Are St Kilda seriously considering applying for a PP?
Surely this is a joke, after the AFL not granting us one last year then it is pretty clear that no team will ever receive one ever again,
Am I right that their reason is because of a lot of injuries?
Collingwood have had a lot of injuries, maybe they should apply for one too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kezza wrote:
Are St Kilda seriously considering applying for a PP?
Surely this is a joke, after the AFL not granting us one last year then it is pretty clear that no team will ever receive one ever again,
Am I right that their reason is because of a lot of injuries?
Collingwood have had a lot of injuries, maybe they should apply for one too.

They could genuinely make a really good business case to HQ that a number one pick can't function properly in his daily life due to ongoing concussion symptoms. Some clubs try to tug on the cold heartstrings of an AFL commissioner...the Saints only need to tug on an appendage of an AFL CEO whose heart bleeds red, white and black and whose close mate is GM of footy at the Saints. The Saints also have a President whose brother is on the AFL commission. They're in a good position to request one. Might as well 'consider it'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 pm 
Robert Walls

Every club has hard luck injury stories.

Like All Australian club captain with two ACLs.

But I get your point. It’s a mates industry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

toddkurnski wrote:
Every club has hard luck injury stories.

Like All Australian club captain with two ACLs.

But I get your point. It’s a mates industry.

Doc's case is a little bit different...but I've got nothing against clubs requesting a priority pick. The Eagles traveled 40,000km more than Collingwood last year so they should have asked for one too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 pm 
Robert Walls

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

The AFL should buy the Eagles a private jet. And move the MCG to Geelong. I think we've just about covered all the injustices of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 pm 
Bruce Comben

If Demetriou was still in charge, Gold Coast would get the first 5 picks in the national draft as emergency assistance, and other clubs like us get SFA

Gil is a Muppet, but at least he doesn't seem to be a CEO that rewards clubs for self-inflicted wounds/incompetence. Saint's won't get a PP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Would anyone at today’s game have left thinking that one side needs a PP much more than the other one? I’m not convinced there’s a massive gap between us & GC (on field, that is).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
Would anyone at today’s game have left thinking that one side needs a PP much more than the other one? I’m not convinced there’s a massive gap between us & GC (on field, that is).

Thought the same sue. They CGAGF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

So it looks very likely that the AFL will grant Gold Coast a PP before the first round this year.
Despite Carlton having a worse season last year, on the back of several poor seasons, we were denied one.
Gold Coast have had many early draft picks, they traded out May for draft picks.
Yet there is no outrage from the other 16 clubs or the media, in fact they think it is a good thing as we can't have Gold Coast struggling apparently.
We should apply for a retrospective one, or at least say something publicly questioning the AFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Don’t forget our poor performance was “by design” - Gold Coast’s was “sorry it wasn’t our fault”.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don't mind GC getting one. It'll annoy Adelaide :mrgreen:

I think it'd be best for them if they traded it for a mature gun though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:35 am 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
So it looks very likely that the AFL will grant Gold Coast a PP before the first round this year.
Despite Carlton having a worse season last year, on the back of several poor seasons, we were denied one.
Gold Coast have had many early draft picks, they traded out May for draft picks.
Yet there is no outrage from the other 16 clubs or the media, in fact they think it is a good thing as we can't have Gold Coast struggling apparently.
We should apply for a retrospective one, or at least say something publicly questioning the AFL.

Clubs like Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong & Collingwood are more than happy to have Gold Coast develop elite young talent and then trade them in once they are any good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
I don't mind GC getting one. It'll annoy Adelaide :mrgreen:

I think it'd be best for them if they traded it for a mature gun though.

Levi would be good for them as a trade for pick one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Levi to Adelaide for Gibbs, Sauce and Betts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:29 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

sinbagger wrote:
Levi to Adelaide for Gibbs, Sauce and Betts.
Serious? You'd trade a top 10 player for 3 SANFL hacks?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

So .... that would be a "no" then? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next