Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:
This thread is just about the dumbest thread ever and there’s some fair competition in there. We said we weren’t interested so as to remove accusations of tanking.

Guess what - it worked!

If there are any priority picks this year we will get one.

Hilarious how people keep hanging on the words of media geniuses around this issue but don’t rate anything they have to say on any other issue.

I don't find it "hilarious" any of the words of the media elite when they clearly have an agenda...and that agenda is to do all possible to keep Carlton down the bottom for as long as possible. Seem them cry crocodile tears over Gold Coast though, the concern of a club 5 years old vs a club 160 years old is startling.

Guess who makes the morons on talk back vent and froth at the mouth? The idiots who are media experts. It is a merry go round of stupidity from the media and the non-Carlton supporters.

The only ones I have come across in the media who see the BIG PICTURE are Gerard Healy and David King. The others are still operating as if it is 2005 and have no understanding of how the AFL landscape has changed. I have no doubt that there was "tanking" back in 2005, but it is different now.

Do these clowns like Julian DeStooooop have any idea that there is free agency now? do they realise that the big plays are now made in trading time.

Who was best on ground for Collingwood today? some say the ruckman, others say Adams....a trade.

Trading is where most of the gains are made now unless you are lucky and strike gold in the draft.

So to answer your question. I don't find it "hilarious" seeing Carlton suffer. An extra draft pick isn't going to mean much in comparison to Hawthorn getting Lynch. Its all an illusion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:01 am 
Craig Bradley

GWS wrote:
This thread is just about the dumbest thread ever and there’s some fair competition in there. We said we weren’t interested so as to remove accusations of tanking.

Guess what - it worked!

If there are any priority picks this year we will get one.

Hilarious how people keep hanging on the words of media geniuses around this issue but don’t rate anything they have to say on any other issue.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:13 am 
Craig Bradley

I don’t doubt the AFL want to help Gold Coast their issue will be they can’t help Gold Coast if Carlton are worse
They will come around to PP as long as our Nuffies apply for one
Just a question of where it is perhaps as someone suggested yesterday if not at start of first round then mid first round ie 11 or 12
Whilst obviously not as good as pick 2 or 3 still pretty good in my view

However I reckon to pressure AFL every chance we get we should be reminding footy world that we have only won 2 games and need the most assistance the AFL can give us
I’m emailing Gil this week to let him know that

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Decade prior every team made finals once. All bar one played a minimum three times.

GC, Brisbane and Melbourne yet to play one this decade. Essendon* yet to win one and Saints 7 years out.

Should have brought back the priority pick when two extra franchises brought in, or at least when free agency brought in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I wouldn't be surprised to to Carlton, GC and St Kilda (get a PP at the end of the first round. Carlton and GC to also have a pick of a mature age unlisted player before the draft. (SANFL or WAFL etc player)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to to Carlton, GC and St Kilda (get a PP at the end of the first round. Carlton and GC to also have a pick of a mature age unlisted player before the draft. (SANFL or WAFL etc player)

Lets hope we get it right. Some pretty good examples of MA players in recent years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

cimm1979 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Lets hope we get it right. Some pretty good examples of MA players in recent years.

Would have that given us first access to Tim kelly if we had that last year?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Carlton and GCS may get picks 1 & 2 as priority picks but they may be restricted to over 21yo's. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
Carlton and GCS may get picks 1 & 2 as priority picks but they may be restricted to over 21yo's. :?:

So we use the PP on Shiel who is 26.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm not hanging on what a media person says unless they're passing on formal news on the PP from the AFL. I think that's what we are all looking for. Nothing wrong with that

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Seems to me that the same people who are complaining about Carlton being non-competitive, (Friday nights are being ruined ... ruined I tell ya), are the one's that sook the loudest about the prospect of anything being done to significantly help us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hockings suggestion about access to mature players makes sense IF each year there's a couple of mature players who can seriously play . If not then what's the point? We replace a poor player with an older poor player. How many Ben Browns are there running around in non AFL comps?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigKev wrote:
Seems to me that the same people who are complaining about Carlton being non-competitive, (Friday nights are being ruined ... ruined I tell ya), are the one's that sook the loudest about the prospect of anything being done to significantly help us.

They don’t want to help us, they just don’t want to see us.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

I doubt AFL will give a priority pick at the start of the first round. A pick at the end of the first round does little to change the fortune of the struggling clubs.
How about, it is two end of first round priority picks.
Carlton would have pick1,19,20,21
They then have the option to turn 19&20 into pick 10 or similar.
Gives plenty of opportunity and options for draft improvement or mature player trading.
Doesn't impact other clubs as much and will still provide real value.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

Now Bevo has had his say on PP's.
This makes me sick, clearly we are just meant to sit on the bottom of the ladder forever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

What's even more annoying with the coaches is the way they pose as statesmen with the best interests of the game at heart. :banghead:

Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse than asking a coach. They're just as self-interested and parochial as your average supporter. Not much different, really, to the media who ask the questions in the first place. :hitcomputer:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
Now Bevo has had his say on PP's.
This makes me sick, clearly we are just meant to sit on the bottom of the ladder forever.

What did he say kezza? Can't find anything on it. Ta.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

choo wrote:
I doubt AFL will give a priority pick at the start of the first round. A pick at the end of the first round does little to change the fortune of the struggling clubs.
How about, it is two end of first round priority picks.
Carlton would have pick1,19,20,21
They then have the option to turn 19&20 into pick 10 or similar.
Gives plenty of opportunity and options for draft improvement or mature player trading.
Doesn't impact other clubs as much and will still provide real value.

I agree. The AFL management won’t have the guts to take on the media class and give Carlton a pick at beginning of draft due to the “outroar” of such a move.

This writer gets it right. A priority pick at pick 11 is a compromise all could accept, even maybe Geelong’s Gerard Whateley.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl

Who would want to “tank” these days anyway with 18 teams in a comp it is a long way back. A 16 team comp as per 2005 not as far back. So the stigma of tanking from 2005 overrules their desire to make an equitable competition today.Next year there will be 2-3 dead rubbers each week. This makes the schedule/fixture in 2019 vitally important.

The 5 extra games should be against Gold Coast, StKilda, Brisbane, Fremantle etc even though Carlton’s record against all these clubs is abysmal. No 2nd game against a team that made the finals. I know it makes more financial sense to get a 2nd game against Essendon*, Coll or Richmond, but let’s face facts Carlton is too far back against all but perhaps? Essendon*. I would also get rid of opening match against Richmond. Blues don’t deserve it anymore & it is tough to start trying to build confidence with a 1st Round loss.

Last edited by tap in 79 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bevo 'disappointed' if priority picks come in - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-19/bev ... pact-draft

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Maybe people like Bevo should go back a few years ago when the dogs received a PP, the blokes was Ryan Griffin...
2001 and 2004 are prime examples of PP at the start of the first round.
AFL will never award such a pick for carlton, no doubt it will be at the end of the first round.
My belief for whats its worth, carlton should receive pick 1 and 2.
Not sure people really understand how bad we are...
Every team has injuries so we cant use them as an excuse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 55  Next