Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Well ,we can kiss good bye any hopes of an early PP.
The coaches have spoken.
I was listening to Andy Maher today and he seems to think we will get a PP in the middle of the first round. I would be happy with that although I think we should receive more assistance.
Makes me sick how the rest of the footy world, except for a few, just have to kick the boots in.
Maybe we are a bit paranoid but the hatred towards to Carlton is real.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Brad Scott speaking out against them now

No doubt he also spoke out against the corrupt methodology they'll implement to snare Tarryn Thomas which is shafting the other 17 clubs?

No doubt the AFL will return to the other 17 clubs the $$$$ they took out of central coffers & have given to North to play out of Hobart even though their crowd sizes are very small.

No doubt North will be given a compensation pick if they don’t get Thomas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Robert Walls

So the coaches are speaking out against the bottom 2 sides receiving a priority pick at all, let alone a high pick, but the reigning Premiers and potentially reigning back-to-back Premiers are about to land arguably the best young(ish) forward in the game FOR FREE and no one says a word.

How Flowered is that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

I actually liked Roos alternative to the PP in having 5 players extra on the list that can be recruited in the 21-25 year old range that are exempt from our salary cap.

It means that you can still draft the kids through the door and pick up the best of the next tier down player with the chance of finding a Kelly type player in there. Further it gives some protection to the kids to develop them where WE want to rather than being forced to play them in AFL if we get an injury run like we did this year.

Statistically you're just as likely to find a gem in those 5 players as you are with 1 pick around the 20 mark.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Steve_C7 wrote:
I actually liked Roos alternative to the PP in having 5 players extra on the list that can be recruited in the 21-25 year old range that are exempt from our salary cap.

It means that you can still draft the kids through the door and pick up the best of the next tier down player with the chance of finding a Kelly type player in there. Further it gives some protection to the kids to develop them where WE want to rather than being forced to play them in AFL if we get an injury run like we did this year.

Statistically you're just as likely to find a gem in those 5 players as you are with 1 pick around the 20 mark.

Aggree. Paul Roos talks some crap sometimes but im with him on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 pm 
Garry Crane

Steve_C7 wrote:

Agreed, this does make sense.

Qualification should be multiple years of poor performance (maybe around 5 years out of finals).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 pm 
Garry Crane

kezza wrote:
I was listening to Andy Maher today and he seems to think we will get a PP in the middle of the first round.

If we get a middle of first round priority pick we should count ourselves lucky.

Brisbane only got pick 19 two years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dlb99 wrote:
kezza wrote:
I was listening to Andy Maher today and he seems to think we will get a PP in the middle of the first round.

If we get a middle of first round priority pick we should count ourselves lucky.

Sad but true.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

ryan2000 wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

You mean he actually finished a sentence?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 pm 
Wayne Johnston

The AFL will screw us as per normal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

dlb99 wrote:
kezza wrote:

Yeah, but the situation has worsened since then.

Carlton, Gold Coast and Fremantle will not be competitive next year.
There is no guarantee StKilda or Brisbane will be either.

If you keep giving fuel to the top end of town and giving sticks to the bottom end the gap will widen.

I also like Roosy’s suggestion about getting access to players 21-24 from VFL etc, but do it now, not in 5 years time.

Do you think Roosy might want to coach again? I wonder.

At the end of the day, this is all a dog’s breakfast due to free agency and trading - all which favours Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong etc. Or do we have to keep believing the fantasy line that these clubs are up there due only to their culture.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 am 
Harry Vallence

dlb99 wrote:
kezza wrote:

Yes they did, but were they as woeful as we are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:29 am 
Harry Vallence

dlb99 wrote:
kezza wrote:

Yes they did, but were they as woeful as we are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 am 
Craig Bradley

Obviously earlier pick the better but if we got pick 11 and used it wisely -the last time we had pick 11we used on Brock Maclean -that would be pretty good as a priority pick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 am 
formerly King Kenny

frank dardew wrote:
Obviously earlier pick the better but if we got pick 11 and used it wisely -the last time we had pick 11we used on Brock Maclean -that would be pretty good as a priority pick

A pick 11 would get McGovern. Walsh at 1. The rest of our picks in the 20’s we see what’s on offer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:47 am 
Craig Bradley

Wojee wrote:
Looks like a concerted effort from other teams to shift the narrative against PP's being handed out.

Yeah, it's all PR and politics with the AFL these days. It makes you wonder whether the club needs to deliberately invest in far greater media presence/strategy (Judd on FC is a good start). Since once you control the media 'narrative', you basically get what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 am 
Craig Bradley

Normally he’s fos, but I did like Roos suggestion.

It also raises an issue that I think needs to be discussed. And that’s raising the draft age to say 20, forcing the kids to spend time playing football against men as well as adding weight.

Look at Harry as the perfect example. Nearly 2 years on our list just developing his body. We draft spindly talls, add 30kgs to them then wonder why their body fails? Maybe it’s time to take a leaf out of the NFL. Let the draftees play competitive football against men, then draft them.

The romance of a 15 yo Tommy Watson is no more.

There are also many in the system who are saying that a lot of quality kids just give up if they are not drafted, when they may have developed at State level into good footballers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Brad Scott speaking out against them now

No doubt he also spoke out against the corrupt methodology they'll implement to snare Tarryn Thomas which is shafting the other 17 clubs?

Tarryn Thomas going to North is good for the AFL, just as Heeney and Mills would have been lost to rugby, this enables the AFL to keep these players in the system.

Next thing you'll be bitching and forgetting how Hawthorn saved us from getting Mitchell and JOM, imagine what they would have done to our rebuild!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

moshe25 wrote:
ryan2000 wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

I mean, yeah, he kind of
And of course if thT
But then..you know
Five would
So...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 am 
Vale 1953-2020

bluegirl72 wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
ryan2000 wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

I mean, yeah, he kind of
And of course if thT
But then..you know
Five would
So...
:grin:

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 55  Next