Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

Why do people assume that our stance on the PP is a fait accompli?

The meejya forced our hand mid season and we replied accordingly... doesn't mean it won't be on the table after rd23 or whenever the cut off point is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

Where they finish and where the Suns finish at the end of the year probably plays a part in it too.

Suns finish bottom and Lynch departs, I'd say our position changes significantly if we've got pick 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Herald Sun today saying we are in a much worse position that the Lions were 2 years ago when they received one.
They compared injuries, games won and they were in a better position.
Madness by the club to not apply.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I got the feeling following today's MLG interview that we may ask at the end of the season, or something else is brewing, when Whateley mentioned the AFL wont give Carlton a PP if they dont ask for it.

MLG did say they focussed on what they could control rather than decisions they can't control....in this AFL makey uppey world.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
BigKev wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Oops forgot to change profiles :lol:

#burneraccount

Excuse my naivety, but do you post under two different usernames so that you can seemingly give weight to your own arguments? Surely not.

Anyway, that aside, I disagree with your idea that the picks should be seen as trade value. Think of all the players on our list that we're excited about. Unless I've missed one, they all came from the draft. That's where our future is and I really hope that the club hangs tight with this policy.

I also have one other quiet hope that we all know won't be realised: we get a PP at the start of the first round, ie we have #1 and #2. Yeah yeah, never happen I know ... but just imagine the outrage from Whately etc. Oh momma!

not me lol

i was taking the piss out of the poster

my bad

No probs. It wouldn't have bothered me - just thought it was funny. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
Herald Sun today saying we are in a much worse position that the Lions were 2 years ago when they received one.
They compared injuries, games won and they were in a better position.
Madness by the club to not apply.

The Hearld Sun should send a copy to our Gurus Mark, Cain and Stephen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

So Hocking confirms we need to apply first....basically intimating we'll get a PP.....and CFC now say they wouldn't knock one back if offered. Oh boy, just swallow your pride and take the charity please CFC !!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 pm 
Bob Chitty

MIL wrote:
So Hocking confirms we need to apply first....basically intimating we'll get a PP.....and CFC now say they wouldn't knock one back if offered. Oh boy, just swallow your pride and take the charity please CFC !!

If, in discussions with AFL, we are told we'll likely get pick 2 if we apply, you can be certain that we'll change our tune after Round 23. And I'm Ok with that :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 pm 
Bob Chitty

And then trade pick 1 to Adelaide for McGovern and a Crouch brother and pick 19. And use pick 2 on Sam Walsh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

lucablue wrote:
And then trade pick 1 to Adelaide for McGovern and a Crouch brother and pick 19. And use pick 2 on Sam Walsh.

Cleeeeever :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

I think the club need to have a think about 1 thing before they refuse to ask for a PP.
Did * get up and say; You know what we lost most of our team this year because we cheated, don't worry about giving us pick #1 and just give us pick #18 instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

There may be no priority picks at all this year - “Maky Uppy HQ” are considering another measure to assist the bottom 3 or 4 clubs. Involving pre-listing the best young players in the Senior State Leagues.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
There may be no priority picks at all this year - “Maky Uppy HQ” are considering another measure to assist the bottom 3 or 4 clubs. Involving pre-listing the best young players in the Senior State Leagues.

What's that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am 
Harry Vallence

Please clarify for me too , any assistance scheme and or improvements to what's in place now is welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

As I understand the AFL will allow the bottom 3 or 4 clubs a free hit at the best 20 year olds in the WAFL, VFL and SANFL, possibly NEAFL.

The players will have to agree to terms and then the clubs can directly list them, otherwise the players can nominate for the draft.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
As I understand the AFL will allow the bottom 3 or 4 clubs a free hit at the best 20 year olds in the WAFL, VFL and SANFL, possibly NEAFL.

The players will have to agree to terms and then the clubs can directly list them, otherwise the players can nominate for the draft.

So they honestly think it's better for struggling clubs to "TRY" and find a hidden talent that everyone else has missed for years in the state leagues vs giving them a PP after the first round that they could trade for an already "proven" AFL player.

Well let's hope the brains trust don't implement that load of BS unless it's coupled with a PP or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:

Appreciate the clarification, honestly the AFL are so protective of expansion teams that they've become inert and dysfunctional.
They'll learn eventually, at the end of the day, elite special talent will migrate South it's the heart and soul of the AFL compettion.
That will never change.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:11 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

We have denied we'll seek one out because the season is still going, if we said we were going to try and get one everyone would call us out as tanking.

Say we won't look for it and when the AFL offers it, we accept it. No big deal, keeps the media quiet until the season is over when it doens't matter anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

drunkill wrote:
Say we won't look for it and when the AFL offers it, we accept it.

Clubs have to apply for it. The AFL doesn't just offer it!

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluechucky wrote:
drunkill wrote:
Say we won't look for it and when the AFL offers it, we accept it.

Clubs have to apply for it. The AFL doesn't just offer it!

And they shouldn't offer it.

Of course this assumes a club is smart enough to know that they're up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Hang on, it's Carlton.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 55  Next