Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Really?
Rowe, Jones, Murphy, Lamb, Silvagni, Petrevski Seton, Thomas.
They've probably played a total of about 40 games in defence between them. How observant of Carey.

Put Docherty, Simpson, Alex Silvagni, Plowman, Williamson, Byrne in there and if they're struggling, get back to me. The smalls in there are our midfielders plugging holes. They've probably never played defence in their lives let alone having no experienced heads in there, giving them instruction.

Point of order here BV - they smashed us up there last year and in the team was
Docherty Simpson Plowman Williamson Cunningham and MacCreadie Weitering

and we had Mackay Casboult Curnow forward
And just to shut Jim up - Kruezer was the only ruckman

Next excuse please

Tell me the man of steel wasn't available

So, let me get this straight.
Because the Lions smashed us by a whole 30 points last year,( without Cripps), but with Docherty, Plowman, Williamson etc playing, that means injuries didn't have a bearing on Saturdays loss?
Correct

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Is this like, one of those hidden camera shows? :sly:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

It's not about personnel it's how you use them that counts.

so we don't need to draft at all...never should have done the rebuild...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Brisbane are progressing forward with their development we are going backwards
Sure injuries might have had some impact but they would have still beaten us
we can't sit there are say we lost because player x y and z weren't playing when the last time they were playing we were beaten badly again
A healthy list is a good thing and it helps but when the coaching and development is crap on top of it

Danny might have been a little bit cheeky but he is correct
We can't just keep churning players and hope magically all will fall into place
Carltons problem is and I have been saying it for a while is that it doesn't matter if we win - Winning doesn't count we have been sprouting that message for years
So Development stall - attitudes change and excuses are made
People were moaning that we didin't have a bloke in the side who had 4 disposals all clangers the week before

It is not about personnel it is how you use them that counts
It also helps if they have a positive mind set - we were half way through the season and all the talk was about what we do with pick 1

BV thought we would win 3-4 games in back half of year -not looking likely now

You repeat something often enough it becomes the truth - We will not be defined by wins and losses
Well hasn't that come home to roost

fancy saying that when everything evolves around wins and losses
Problem with Bolton is when you tell bullshite eventually that bullshite comes back and hits you in the face

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
jim wrote:
Just watching Talking Footy.

Lions had 309 uncontested possession and 24 marks inside 50. That's off the chart!

They were showing highlights of how we were zoning and showing how, as Carey said, we had absolutely no idea where we should be standing and positioning ourselves. Just totally lost as to what to do. He said the message, whatever he's teaching, is just not getting though using that style of play.

Bingo. My concern of late. It’s nothing to do with age but more confusion of our game plan. Real worry but some of us didn’t need Duck to tell us.

BB needs to address this ASAP!

Really?
They've probably played a total of about 40 games in defence between them. How observant of Carey.

Put Docherty, Simpson, Alex Silvagni, Plowman, Williamson, Byrne in there and if they're struggling, get back to me. The smalls in there are our midfielders plugging holes. They've probably never played defence in their lives let alone having no experienced heads in there, giving them instruction.

Next excuse please

Agree.

Injuries would be an excuse if we won 5-6 games as, after last year, we rightly could expect to win 8 or 9 given a normal run of injuries. Never an excuse for one win though. We look a lost rabble our there with no idea of what we should be doing and a game plan that we are not capable of pulling off, especially with the team selection. That's coaching!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
jim wrote:

Lions had 309 uncontested possession and 24 marks inside 50. That's off the chart!

They were showing highlights of how we were zoning and showing how, as Carey said, we had absolutely no idea where we should be standing and positioning ourselves. Just totally lost as to what to do. He said the message, whatever he's teaching, is just not getting though using that style of play.

Bingo. My concern of late. It’s nothing to do with age but more confusion of our game plan. Real worry but some of us didn’t need Duck to tell us.

Really?

Next excuse please

Agree.

Injuries would be an excuse if we won 5-6 games as, after last year, we rightly could expect to win 8 or 9 given a normal run of injuries. Never an excuse for one win though. We look a lost rabble our there with no idea of what we should be doing and a game plan that we are not capable of pulling off, especially with the team selection. That's coaching!

Well we lost Gibbs and Docherty and weren't able to get two comparable replacements were we?

The data analysts said this slump was likely:

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/02/01/are- ... heartache/

Are Carlton looking at another season of heartache?
AFL Nation - Thu, 1st Feb 2018 - 0 Comments

Champion Data expert Glenn Luff believes Carlton could be set for another difficult season in 2018, possibly falling down the ladder.

The Blues finished 16th in 2017, only ahead of the Gold Coast Suns and wooden spooners the Brisbane Lions.

Speaking to Sportsday, Luff explained why Blues fans should not expect a rapid rise any time soon.

“I think there’s every chance down a bit more,” Luff said.

“We’ve got Carlton with one elite player and that’s Sam Docherty… He won’t be there.”

As well as losing Docherty to a season-ending knee injury, Carlton will also be without Bryce Gibbs, who was traded to Adelaide at the end of last season.

In order to improve in 2018, Luff believes Carlton need to work on keeping the ball in their forward half.

He added: “We talk about the territory game and playing the ball in your half, well they don’t play the game in their half.

“They need to be able to generate more entries and get a bigger score on the board because they were ranked 18th for points for (in 2017).”

On Wednesday, the Blues announced an eight-man leadership group, led by Marc Murphy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Effes wrote:

Well we lost Gibbs and Docherty and weren't able to get two comparable replacements were we?

Champion Data expert Glenn Luff believes Carlton could be set for another difficult season in 2018, possibly falling down the ladder.

The Blues finished 16th in 2017, only ahead of the Gold Coast Suns and wooden spooners the Brisbane Lions.

Speaking to Sportsday, Luff explained why Blues fans should not expect a rapid rise any time soon.

“We’ve got Carlton with one elite player and that’s Sam Docherty… He won’t be there.”

As well as losing Docherty to a season-ending knee injury, Carlton will also be without Bryce Gibbs, who was traded to Adelaide at the end of last season.

In order to improve in 2018, Luff believes Carlton need to work on keeping the ball in their forward half.

He added: “We talk about the territory game and playing the ball in your half, well they don’t play the game in their half.

They need to be able to generate more entries and get a bigger score on the board because they were ranked 18th for points for (in 2017).”

On Wednesday, the Blues announced an eight-man leadership group, led by Marc Murphy.

I50's
Carl 51 - 49 Bris

Marks I50
Carl 8 - 24 Bris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
Effes wrote:

They need to be able to generate more entries and get a bigger score on the board because they were ranked 18th for points for (in 2017).”

I50's
Carl 51 - 49 Bris

Marks I50
Carl 8 - 24 Bris

Not a surprise given the lack of pressure up the field and having all those experienced defenders such as Thomas, SPS down there and the calamitous Sam Rowe.

In terms of average inside 50s in 2018

Team I50
Demons 61.9
Tigers 58.7
Hawks 55.3
Power 55.3
Magpies 55.1
Giants 54.1
Cats 53.1
Bulldogs 52.7
Eagles 52.7
Kangaroos 52.4
Swans 51.5
Bombers 51.3
Saints 51.3
Crows 50.8
Lions 49.9
Dockers 49
Suns 47.5
Blues 45.2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
jim wrote:

That same idiot Carey that said we should trade our no.1 pick for 4 c grade rejects from other clubs, are you guys yes men or just have no idea , boy have we got problems!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:05 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
we can't sit there are say we lost because player x y and z weren't playing when the last time they were playing we were beaten badly again
A healthy list is a good thing and it helps but when the coaching and development is crap on top of it

Carltons problem is and I have been saying it for a while is that it doesn't matter if we win - Winning doesn't count we have been sprouting that message for years
People were moaning that we didin't have a bloke in the side who had 4 disposals all clangers the week before

It also helps if they have a positive mind set - we were half way through the season and all the talk was about what we do with pick 1

You repeat something often enough it becomes the truth - We will not be defined by wins and losses

Problem with Bolton is when you tell bullshite eventually that bullshite comes back and hits you in the face

You lost me there cause you pull unsubstantiated comments out of your arse

And, thankfully for us, the drivel you keep repeating often enough bares no resemblance to the truth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

And, thankfully for us, the drivel you keep repeating often enough bares no resemblance to the truth
1 win for the year
I would say my drivel is pretty close to the mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

1 win for the year

For once i agree with you re the drivel, an ever constant!!
Which coach will save us, give us a fix please !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

Every time I go to sleep, the sun goes down therefore I cause the sun to go down.

All chickens have 2 legs, my son has two legs, he must be a chicken.

Galileo was ridiculed in his time but later acknowledged to be right, since my views are ridiculed, I will later be recognized as correct too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Right at this moment ... we are all correct ... that’s how crap we are ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yes we have injuries but I can't see how anyone could explain away a performance as uniformly woeful as Saturday. We had lesser personnel against PA pies and cats and were okay. I can't see how anyone could watch Saturdays debacle and not be angry. Have we fallen so far that we explain away and justify a thrashing like that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

there's many areas to appraise bolton and the coaching staff.

injuries and a green list are definitely factors to our win/ loss record and shouldn't be discounted.

but, also so are:

Effort - who's been happy with the effort from the players we have wheeled out? last season we were in all but one game (port). this season, we've not played with much mongrel and the effort is below the baseline of an AFL club.

Player development - which players this season have elevated their game? From all the many high draft picks we've had, who has developed? Cripps, for sure. but who else? i can only think of players who have stagnated (SPS, plowmann, marchbank etc) and players who have actually regressed from one season ago (Weiters, Wright, Jones, Phillips, Jack etc)

Skills - player skills this year have taken a nose dive. kicking into the man on the mark, set shots for goal, hand-passing behind a running player, man marking, tracking back in defence from the midfield etc

those basic skills, every afl player should have. I watch alotta local league and you see it at U16 and in the pub leagues ... so at afl every player on our list (especially the mature age recruits) should be running out games, able to hit a target by foot & with hands and be able to mark their man & track back.

If we were given our injury list before the season started, we'd still have expected to win more games, and be in more games and deliver the kind of effort we became accustomed to in bolton's first 2 years. that hasn't happened. players look lost, confused and void of all instincts - which as high draft picks is the last thing you want.

i know we've played musical chairs with our head coaching and i know we need some stability there. but keeping someone around who isn't meeting any basic coaching kpi's is also just as bad as the musical chair situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am 
Rod Ashman

Look, I think it is v difficult to sustain the argument that injuries are largely responsible for how we played against Brisbane (& Freo for that matter) given how we have been able to play much better against other teams e.g. Coll, PA.
Having said that, it is not only our players who are young and inexperienced but also our coach.

I still believe he is the right guy but he is also learning as he goes and has probably already worked out what has/is going wrong and will be making changes, although the biggest changes unfortunately will not be made until the off season.

Then again, Clarkson took a while to his his straps and he already had a core of great players on the list when he arrived, Buckley took a Premiership team backwards for 6 or 7 years before finally turning it around this year, and Hardwick was lucky to survive at the end of 2016 after which he significantly turned it around. Paul Roos took three years just to get the Demons pointed in the right direction and even with arguably the best young list in the comp have still have not made finals 5yrs after he took over.

I would have expected more wins and a more convincing game plan by now but things can change quickly and gains can be accrued without showing in wins and losses.
I do acknowledge, however, that crap-effort performances like Sat should never be happening.

So, think we need to be patient. Pissed off, fine, but still patient.
We need to make sure we have the right development coaches in place (I personally have big concerns about Fraser and Barker but we should run a ruler through everyone). And an awesome football Dept manager would be a big help.
However, I also believe that Bolton and SOS are the right people in their roles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

1 win for the year

Yes, you can hang your hat on the 1 win...no one on this site is going to argue the fact that this year has been a year from hell.

Your drivel stems from a dissertation length attempt to convince based on nothing more than assertions, inference and blame

Can you explain to me how
1. Buckley was so close to being sacked 9 months ago yet is now sitting 2nd
2. Hardwick in 2016
3. Luke Beveridge went from a genius coach to boiled lollies in the 2 seasons post the grand final
4. Adelaide 2018 vs 2017
5. StKilda's disastrous 2018 when they were supposed to be on a par with Melbourne
6. NM's first half of 2018 when they were touted to be bottom 4. They may well still play finals

Your drivel comes from a linear, unidimensional and mutually exclusive lens

Sometimes, shit happens and its reasons stem from multiple factors acting in a radial, connecting and conditional manner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 am 
Robert Walls

dannyboy wrote:
Every time I go to sleep, the sun goes down therefore I cause the sun to go down.

Galileo was ridiculed in his time but later acknowledged to be right, since my views are ridiculed, I will later be recognized as correct too.

And...SB thinks ambos and teachers are overpaid. For mine, Cristiano Ronaldo is overpaid. So when SB's kids got sick at school, it was in Cristiano Ronaldo's class and he was the one who applied first aid to his child before driving him to hospital

So who looked after the class? To be continued...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

1 win for the year

Yes, you can hang your hat on the 1 win...no one on this site is going to argue the fact that this year has been a year from hell.

Your drivel stems from a dissertation length attempt to convince based on nothing more than assertions, inference and blame

Can you explain to me how
1. Buckley was so close to being sacked 9 months ago yet is now sitting 2nd
2. Hardwick in 2016
3. Luke Beveridge went from a genius coach to boiled lollies in the 2 seasons post the grand final
4. Adelaide 2018 vs 2017
5. StKilda's disastrous 2018 when they were supposed to be on a par with Melbourne
6. NM's first half of 2018 when they were touted to be bottom 4. They may well still play finals

Your drivel comes from a linear, unidimensional and mutually exclusive lens

Sometimes, shit happens and its reasons stem from multiple factors acting in a radial, connecting and conditional manner

not necessarily.

1. Buckley - had a divided list. malthouse didn't leave the place in good shape, and the list was divided between those who were still loyal to mick and his system, and those who wanted to play the way Buck's wanted. this is the first season we're seeing buckley's imprint & vision with a playing group 100% behind it.

2. hardwick - yeah, it's a good football story. nearly sacked, given multiple reprieves and goes and wins a flag and looks good for back to back.

3. Beveridge is still a gun coach imo. the dogs really went full retard on turning over their list and with FA's. now they inexplicably have a list younger then ours, when they could have topped up ala hawks and been in the flag convo for the next half decade. you never go full retard.

4. Adelaide's preseason from hell (that team building and confidence mob they just sacked) and injuries explain their ordinary win/ loss record.

5. st kilda. nobody cares about st kilda.

6. NM are an excellent example of a coach and team playing together and delivering results way beyond their pay grade. I kinda expected CFC to build on our last 2 years under bolton and go on to being an 8 win team this year, and play hard, tough footy. like NM has.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

And...SB thinks ambos and teachers are overpaid. For mine, Cristiano Ronaldo is overpaid. So when SB's kids got sick at school, it was in Cristiano Ronaldo's class and he was the one who applied first aid to his child before driving him to hospital

So who looked after the class? To be continued...
My best mate has been a Ambo for 30 plus years he is married to a nurse.
In the last 5 years I would say they has spent 18 months on overseas holidays. In the same period I have taken about 6 weeks off
They works 4 x 12 hour shifts and get the next 5 days off.
He gets 8 weeks holiday a year.
Even he says he cant use up his holidays and wouldn't change his job for any other except maybe the Fire Brigade
He thinks he is overpaid.
But you just keep listening to the emotional crap that they sprout all over the commercial networks every time their unions go for a 8% pay increase whilst majority of workers are lucky to get any increase at all.
I will take his take on it you can listen to the crap

Wrong thread I know but 99 insist on having a go at every thing I post so it warrants a response

Get your head out of your arse 99 and stand back and have a look what is happening to our club

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next