Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:12 pm 
Garry Crane

Paddycripps wrote:
WA Blue wrote:
Todays effort should help Cripps make up his mind :cry:

Mate of mine is close with the family and he tells me Patrick isn't going to sign til the end of the year and even then there's no guarantee. My read on this is Patrick is very much undecided.

Well at least we can demand 2 first round picks for him

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sin City wrote:
smithy wrote:
Sin City wrote:
Coaches went back to the all out attacking game plan this week. We just don't have the midfield to do it. Last week we had players behind the ball and applied pressure to the opposition. Yeah it's not great to watch but it makes us a lot more competitive.

This week we went back to focussing just on ball movement. Could be because we wanted to test it out against a supposedly poor team, could be because we're tanking or really just want to do it as part of the education but whatever the reason is we get smashed whenever we do it. Back line was left wide open and that's not a good thing with the way our midfield leaks inside 50s, at one stage 18 of the last 20 inside 50s had gone to the Lions.

We're genuinely about four really good mature midfielders short of what the good teams have. Dow will be one for sure but we need to add a lot more.

Sorry but that was not an attacking gameplan whatsoever; let alone an all out one, not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion tbh. Attacking teams play through the corridor with speed, they do not seek to go wide at every opportunity.

Well, it was, regardless of what you saw we were playing one way football which we have as often as the coaches see fit this year as the focus has apparently been on ball movement.

Where your post really falls down though is that if a guy with your football IQ can work out that an attacking team wants to use the corridor at all costs you'd think the Brisbane coaching staff and players can also work it out fairly quickly (like, during the week before the game) and that they would then put some men in there to force us out wide.

No, it's not what I saw it's what actually happened, and what happened was we went to our old method of wide slow play mark-kick (easy to defend) after 20 mins, if anyone doubts this go back and look for themselves. Now if we were playing an attacking plan and if what you are saying is true, we would still take them on through the corridor instead of yielding and going wide wouldn't we. But we aren't are we. So tell me how is that an attacking gameplan? Just because players are caught out of position does not necessitate a too attacking style, it can be a number of things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mickstar wrote:
No comment !

I wish you would

I look forward to your comments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Question:

If Charlie was being triple teamed each time...where were the two or three Carlton forwards with nobody on them...and why weren't we playing through them??

Question:

Every time the Freo match is mentioned with any criticism, the club always responds with it was only one bad half in a month of promising football. Believing that to be true, what do we make of today? Three unfortunate quarters in another game of green shoots? Or was it a continuation of Freo match form??

Both questions bring us to the same place... Why are we resting Harry, Kerr & De Koning - all who have had OK success in the NBs - when Brisbane's best backman was missing from their side. Plus we rested Levi...

Answer:

Three or four guys to help Charlie...and a lineup that looks to the future (and moves the team away from the game plan that didn't work against Freo...that we must never mention)

Last edited by Wet Willie on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:19 pm 
Garry Crane

smithy wrote:
Sin City wrote:
smithy wrote:
Sin City wrote:
Coaches went back to the all out attacking game plan this week. We just don't have the midfield to do it. Last week we had players behind the ball and applied pressure to the opposition. Yeah it's not great to watch but it makes us a lot more competitive.

This week we went back to focussing just on ball movement. Could be because we wanted to test it out against a supposedly poor team, could be because we're tanking or really just want to do it as part of the education but whatever the reason is we get smashed whenever we do it. Back line was left wide open and that's not a good thing with the way our midfield leaks inside 50s, at one stage 18 of the last 20 inside 50s had gone to the Lions.

We're genuinely about four really good mature midfielders short of what the good teams have. Dow will be one for sure but we need to add a lot more.

Sorry but that was not an attacking gameplan whatsoever; let alone an all out one, not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion tbh. Attacking teams play through the corridor with speed, they do not seek to go wide at every opportunity.

malthouse style all over again
Well, it was, regardless of what you saw we were playing one way football which we have as often as the coaches see fit this year as the focus has apparently been on ball movement.

Where your post really falls down though is that if a guy with your football IQ can work out that an attacking team wants to use the corridor at all costs you'd think the Brisbane coaching staff and players can also work it out fairly quickly (like, during the week before the game) and that they would then put some men in there to force us out wide.

No, it's not what I saw it's what actually happened, and what happened was we went to our old method of wide slow play mark-kick (easy to defend) after 20 mins, if anyone doubts this go back and look for themselves. Now if we were playing an attacking plan and if what you are saying is true, we would still take them on through the corridor instead of yielding and going wide wouldn't we. But we aren't are we. So tell me how is that an attacking gameplan? Just because players are caught out of position does not necessitate a too attacking style, it can be a number of things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
No comment !

I wish you would

Love to say something Rex,but when i tee off i go overboard and i hate to hurt peoples feelings.............now,i have been around the block a few times,and i have seen the highs and lows.And i accept you must take the good with the bad..................and without sounding like a self serving backslapper,i don't scare easily.But for the first time in a long time i'm scared.Very scared for our GREAT footy club.The download spiral is accelerating....................we have a rookie coach,a rookie CEO,a rookie Prez......That aint a platform to launch an assault on the competition.Tried to stay positive,tried to give praise even if i didn't wholeheartedly believed it....................THE CLUB IS CRYING OUT FOR A MODERN DAY GEORGE HARRIS............the whole place needs a massive shakeup from top to bottom.Is there a saviour out there.

The Carlton Football Cub.............Now Always Forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Add Dunkley delisted
Kane Lambert not picked up from Northern
trublu wrote:
Polson below average
Cuningham below average
Patty Kerr below average

SPS average
Weitering average
Mckay average

Williamson overrated

Marcreadie no good
JGM no good
Lebois no good

Gowers Delisted

Schumacher and Dekoning haven’t seen much of them

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wide slow ball movement seems to be our default position as soon as things don't go our way.
If this cannot be coached out of them in due time we will have to do things the hard way every week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wet Willie wrote:
Question:

If Charlie was being triple teamed each time...where were the two or three Carlton forwards with nobody on them...and why weren't we playing through them??

Question:

Every time the Freo match is mentioned with any criticism, the club always responds with it was only one bad half in a month of promising football. Believing that to be true, what do we make of today? Three unfortunate quarters in another game of green shoots? Or was it a continuation of Freo match form??

Both questions bring us to the same place... Why are we resting Harry, Kerr & De Koning - all who have had OK success in the NBs - when Brisbane's best backman was missing from their side. Plus we rested Levi...

Answer:

Three or four guys to help Charlie...and a lineup that looks to the future (and moves the team away from the game plan that didn't work against Freo...that we must never mention)

In answer to your first question, they were in transition probably in the midfield or half back when the ball went in to Charlie 1 vs 3-4, because we are too attacking :confused: :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:43 pm 
Bob Chitty

Pros:
I got to wear shorts and tee shirt at the footy.
LOB first goal was a good one ( not replayed on the big screen ).
And that about wraps it up from here in Brisbane.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

there was no reason to go into this game with Rowe - none !

back half just too crowded with talls and confusing - should have had Mullett as another mobile utility

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
there was no reason to go into this game with Rowe - none !

back half just too crowded with talls and confusing - should have had Mullett as another mobile utility

Don't really rate Mullett but he has pace and should have stayed, fair call. Especially when Simpson is a late out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

BigGartos wrote:
Pros:
I got to wear shorts and tee shirt at the footy.
LOB first goal was a good one ( not replayed on the big screen ).
And that about wraps it up from here in Brisbane.

:grin:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
No comment !

I wish you would

Love to say something Rex,but when i tee off i go overboard and i hate to hurt peoples feelings.............now,i have been around the block a few times,and i have seen the highs and lows.And i accept you must take the good with the bad..................and without sounding like a self serving backslapper,i don't scare easily.But for the first time in a long time i'm scared.Very scared for our GREAT footy club.The download spiral is accelerating....................we have a rookie coach,a rookie CEO,a rookie Prez......That aint a platform to launch an assault on the competition.Tried to stay positive,tried to give praise even if i didn't wholeheartedly believed it....................THE CLUB IS CRYING OUT FOR A MODERN DAY GEORGE HARRIS............the whole place needs a massive shakeup from top to bottom.Is there a saviour out there.

The Carlton Football Cub.............Now Always Forever.

Share very similar feelings. Beyond flat. Not losing hope and faith, I’ve completely lost it.

There are losses and then there are losses. We are having too many of the latter. The mitigants don’t justify these continual sub standard performances.

The clubs failings over an extended period are why only 27k turn up for a 300 game milestone for one of our champs.

They are asking a lot of us to ignore the massive failings pre 2015 and to cop these awful performances as part of the journey. Especially when we can’t even execute the basic fundamentals of the modern game.

We are in massive trouble and if P Cripps leaves, they may as well close the joint down.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 pm 
Ken Hands

Devastated tonight. I'm in Brisbane currently, attended training yesterday at the Gabba, had intentions of taking my twenty-year-old daughter to see our club have a win, but just couldn't bring myself to subject her to a performance ten times better than what we produced and still lose. So glad that I stayed home and watched the telecast and sent her out of the house so she couldn't witness what is probably the saddest performance I have ever witnessed from my beloved club.

I am very concerned that if we produce efforts like that again we will lose many potential supporters permanently and a good many current members. That effort was just sadly inadequate. I really felt that more than half the team just didn't care. Either that or they really need to hang up their boots and forget ever playing at AFL level ever again, because they are so far off deserving to be picked by even the bottom club.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

China Blues wrote:
Devastated tonight. I'm in Brisbane currently, attended training yesterday at the Gabba...

Should've said g'day!

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

no respect given

Dunstall
no respect deserved

The quintessential comment of our planning and execution of todays abomination.

Some have hinted that we are tanking and i mentioned that not that long ago. If this is the case then that is even more disturbing than todays effort.
Building a winning culture or reconstructing our troubled history.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

Pro:
That performance will rubber stamp a thorough and comprehensive review of every department at the club

Con:
Our board are an insipid amateurish bunch who will sit on their arse play their fiddle whilst Rome burns and there will be no review

What l want to see:
Is the handing of the keys over to the AFL and let them sort out the mess. Despite Bolts, SOS, MLG best intentions the job is beyond them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Waddell wrote:
Pro:
That performance will rubber stamp a thorough and comprehensive review of every department at the club

Con:
Our board are an insipid amateurish bunch who will sit on their arse play their fiddle whilst Rome burns and there will be no review

What l want to see:
Is the handing of the keys over to the AFL and let them sort out the mess. Despite Bolts, SOS, MLG best intentions the job is beyond them.

I agree but, I can’t see the AFL being able to sought it out either.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Every year the Lions game at the GABBA is their grand final. So sick of it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next