Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
jim wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
Just to play devils advocate; we played some of our best footy last year with a backline of Weitering, Jones, Marchbank and Plowman. At times Alex Silvagni was in that group too. Tall backline doesn’t necessarily mean doom and gloom.

Also, Kreuzer has to play when fit, one of our top 5 players. Good luck dropping Phillips after last weeks strong performance too. I don’t like the 2 ruckmen, but I do like rewarding form.

I know you're playing a Devil's Advocate but there is our problem. To pick a properly balanced side sometimes players are unlucky. You don't reward form to the extent of totally unbalancing your side. You pick a side to play to their strengths. We pick 4 tall defender because we think they deserve to play, watch our lack of rebound from defence, an important part of the modern game, and then we pick as ruckman who'll spend half a game forward, a role he his no good at, because we think he deserves to play. That's how you lose games. I'm all for rewarding for but not to the extent of screwing up the side. You don't pick two wicket keepers because one filled in and did well the previous Test and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Good sides play players in their correct roles. Rucks play ruck, forwards play forward. 2 rucks has failed us 1000 times, to me, as unlucky as Phillips would be, you don't go back there.

Alex Silvagni is quick and can play on tall and small.

Surely you exaggerate.
Last week Levi kicked 0-3, took two marks I can think of on the wing and was slaughtered in the ruck duels by Westhoff.
If Phillips kicks one goal (or four behinds), takes two or more marks around the ground and gets a few hit outs we are already in front.

No, i don't. I assume you know something about football. I'd be playing McKay or Kerr ahead of Phillips. Both are emergencies so they're fit. If you've followed football you would know our rucks are terrible forwards and one will be there at near all times. If you know your football you'd realise you play players in their correct roles to get the most out of them. Why would you play a ruckman forward when you could play a forward there. You'd know playing Phillips and Kreuzer together has failed us every time as both are first rucks who need to play the majority of the game on the ball, not interchanging up forward up forward where they are no good. Good sides play players to their their strengths and pick a side to their strengths. Carlton is not a good side for a few reasons, those being one of them. I think it's time for some sackings.

Definition of insanity....doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

What a load of shit. He disagrees with you so he knows less about football than you. :lol:
Yes, we know you don't want 2 rucks. We read it every @#$%&! week! Get over it.
Phillips will offer at least the equivalent of what Casboult offered last week up forward and will be far more effective in the ruck. Once McKay and Kerr deserve a spot in the team, I'm sure they'll get one.
If you want sacking, sack yourself for squawking the same shit every second post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Maybe the strategy is simply to get an advantage over Martin ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Kreuzer is not a great tap ruck man we all know that but he offers a great deal in follow up work. Phillips could be a very good tap ruck man and has some great attributes as his marking around the ground and his kicking for goal is quite sound.
Kreuzer is #1 but Phillips does deserve a go as he has held his own when asked. If they let Charlie roam and keep the resting ruck in the square with a couple of pests surrounding him we will have a workable forward line.

In saying that I want McKay in. He had a good game last week in the ressies but needs more time at senior level. He has added another point of attack for us and has hit the scoreboard when the opportunity has come. He has made a couple of crunching tackles for a 200cm player and the rest of his education should be in the seniors. He might have made some mistakes but they are not glaring for a young KP player and he has shown some intent. Hawkins, Cloke, Moore and Dopey were given games even when they didn't deserve them only because they knew they were going to be a long term prospect for their respective clubs.
The coach's should do their job put him in the seniors and coach's him instead of pawning off responsibility. Make the tough call leave Kreuzer out and play the kid.

Sorry Jim.

He can also help in the ruck duties when called upon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Anyone forward would be better than what Casboult dished up last week.
Phillips went forward once marked and kicked goals.
I would rather have Kruezer forward at least he follows up chases and tackles
Side is tall but the games in Brisbane usually have congested forward 50
Casboult has been offering nothing need to try something

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You're so anti-Casboult so anything you say about him is not to be taken serious. it'd be shit. I'd back Casboult injured and out of form to kick more goals than Phillips most weeks. I don't judge on one week and judge like you to fuel an agenda. I'll look at careers. Levi rucked ok last year and kicked 34 goals. Phillips and Kreuzer would be lucky to get half of that combined. Only a dummy of the highest order,or someone with a hate-filled agenda, would say otherwise.

With Levi getting his touch back after his injury you'd play another key forward.
Your so pro Casboult so anything you say about him is clouded.
He is a bad footballer.
Fancy having a bloke playing Full Forward who shats his dacks everytime he lines up for goal.
We now have 4 to 5 players who can fill his role it is time to move on.
If it is about developing players for the future he cannot take the place of others

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Desperately want a win but fear it’ll be another Gabba horror show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
jim wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
Just to play devils advocate; we played some of our best footy last year with a backline of Weitering, Jones, Marchbank and Plowman. At times Alex Silvagni was in that group too. Tall backline doesn’t necessarily mean doom and gloom.

Also, Kreuzer has to play when fit, one of our top 5 players. Good luck dropping Phillips after last weeks strong performance too. I don’t like the 2 ruckmen, but I do like rewarding form.

I know you're playing a Devil's Advocate but there is our problem. To pick a properly balanced side sometimes players are unlucky. You don't reward form to the extent of totally unbalancing your side. You pick a side to play to their strengths. We pick 4 tall defender because we think they deserve to play, watch our lack of rebound from defence, an important part of the modern game, and then we pick as ruckman who'll spend half a game forward, a role he his no good at, because we think he deserves to play. That's how you lose games. I'm all for rewarding for but not to the extent of screwing up the side. You don't pick two wicket keepers because one filled in and did well the previous Test and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Good sides play players in their correct roles. Rucks play ruck, forwards play forward. 2 rucks has failed us 1000 times, to me, as unlucky as Phillips would be, you don't go back there.

Surely you exaggerate.
Last week Levi kicked 0-3, took two marks I can think of on the wing and was slaughtered in the ruck duels by Westhoff.
If Phillips kicks one goal (or four behinds), takes two or more marks around the ground and gets a few hit outs we are already in front.

No, i don't. I assume you know something about football. I'd be playing McKay or Kerr ahead of Phillips. Both are emergencies so they're fit. If you've followed football you would know our rucks are terrible forwards and one will be there at near all times. If you know your football you'd realise you play players in their correct roles to get the most out of them. Why would you play a ruckman forward when you could play a forward there. You'd know playing Phillips and Kreuzer together has failed us every time as both are first rucks who need to play the majority of the game on the ball, not interchanging up forward up forward where they are no good. Good sides play players to their their strengths and pick a side to their strengths. Carlton is not a good side for a few reasons, those being one of them. I think it's time for some sackings.

Definition of insanity....doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Playing the man jim.

BS has explained his reasoning.
I agree with BS that Philips offers more than Casboult.
Philips will still draw the attention of the no. 1 KPD
Last game Kreuzer played he kicked 2 goals.

Good chance McKay takes Kreuzers spot before bounce.
If so then it makes more sense.

Who are the forwards you want ahead of Kreuzer and Philips?
Why? Development or better forward prospects than the 2 rucks.

Australia have played 2 wicket keepers.
One kept wickets and both batted.
There's a moral to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
jim wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Anyone forward would be better than what Casboult dished up last week.
Phillips went forward once marked and kicked goals.
I would rather have Kruezer forward at least he follows up chases and tackles
Side is tall but the games in Brisbane usually have congested forward 50
Casboult has been offering nothing need to try something

You're so anti-Casboult so anything you say about him is not to be taken serious. it'd be shit. I'd back Casboult injured and out of form to kick more goals than Phillips most weeks. I don't judge on one week and judge like you to fuel an agenda. I'll look at careers. Levi rucked ok last year and kicked 34 goals. Phillips and Kreuzer would be lucky to get half of that combined. Only a dummy of the highest order,or someone with a hate-filled agenda, would say otherwise.

With Levi getting his touch back after his injury you'd play another key forward.
Your so pro Casboult so anything you say about him is clouded.
He is a bad footballer.
Fancy having a bloke playing Full Forward who shats his dacks everytime he lines up for goal.
We now have 4 to 5 players who can fill his role it is time to move on.
If it is about developing players for the future he cannot take the place of others

Agreed.
I was going to mention the Casboult obsession but thought I'd just compare output.
Casboult was deplorable last week. Deserved to be dropped.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

Phillips deserves his selection. Had an excellent game last week and didn’t deserve to get dropped the last time either. I hope he is used 1st ruck, as his tap work is much better than Krooze and his work at the stoppages last week was excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd play Phillips as deep forward. We just need him to make a contest and ensure the defenders don't mark the ball. Its then up to the smalls to take advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Good crowd at the Gabba this arvo to watch the open training session.

The fact that it's school holidays helped of course. :smile:

Go Blues!

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 pm 
Robert Walls

From my perspective, it has always appeared that Kruezer doesn't like sharing ruck duties with another bonafide ruckman. His forward work has deteriorated over the years and so he is no better than Casboult when playing forward. This restricts our selections every week.

On the other hand, Phillips seems to have more forward intent when resting there.

I know this isn't true but it's as if Kruezer sooks when he is not the number one ruckman.

Personally, I'd be telling him that he is mobile enough to play 30% dedicated fwd time while sharing the ruck with Phillips. If he can't play both roles to the coaches instructions, his position in the side is in jeopardy. Yes I'm being a little hard arsed but for someone so mobile, so agile and so midfield like, he doesn't give us much inside f50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

I just hope Kreuzer and Marchbank are actually fit enough for senior footy. I can cope with losing, even though I hate it. What I find much harder to cope with is picking guys who aren't ready to play, and effectively leaving us a couple of players short. It's happened too often this year.

Glad Phillips was retained. Glad Casboult was dropped. Disappointed Dow is missing, but good to see O'Brien getting another game. Would have preferred Mullett to Thomas.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 am 
Rod Ashman

Phillips is a good mark and with Pickett back we finally have a crumbing forward. And neither McKay nor casboult are great at applying pressure. Not an ideal side and marchbank straight in after so long out is a worry but the lions play pretty tall and have two rucks. #46 McInerney? is less mobile than Phillips.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
jim wrote:
cecil89 wrote:

Surely you exaggerate.

McKay isn't ready to share the ruck duties for a game and neither is Kerr. Kerr isn't even ready to play FF.
We haven't played two rucks for ages. Phillips is better than he was back then and Kreuzer is worse. We will know in about 24 hours how it goes.
That's the objective test, not going backwards and forwards here.
I played ruck BTW. When my knees went I played FF.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:07 am 
Geoff Southby

Been a bit of rain about the past few days so the deck may not be as quick as expected...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I hope Rhys Mathieson has an excellent game. Obviously there are others here who appreciate his following the rules and playing to the spirit of the laws so I hope they enjoy watching him today as much as I do.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:41 am 
Wayne Johnston

Heavs wrote:
I hope Rhys Mathieson has an excellent game. Obviously there are others here who appreciate his following the rules and playing to the spirit of the laws so I hope they enjoy watching him today as much as I do.

And the same goes for Allen Christensen :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 am 
Craig Bradley

I won't see the game, off to work. I could hightail it home to see the last 5 or so minutes, or stop off at Dan Murphy's.

Not a hard decision to be made.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am 
Rod Ashman

murraycray wrote:
I won't see the game, off to work. I could hightail it home to see the last 5 or so minutes, or stop off at Dan Murphy's.

Not a hard decision to be made.

You might need to stop off at Dan Murphy's to watch the last 5 minutes of the game :yikes:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Heavs wrote:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next