Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Heavs wrote:
Nick wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Also, 26k is pretty @#$%&! ordinary for only our 7th 300 game player. 8th if you count Mick Martyn.

Yeah, it was pretty barren. Port supporters almost as loud.

@#$%&! disgraceful. We had a 300th to celebrate and a little over 20,000 Carlton supporters show up? I don't get it...I mean - I understand frustration with the club (been there, done that), and I understand that supporters might not show up to a game they think we might lose by plenty...but surely those things are irrelevant when a clubman the caliber of Kade Simpson plays 300 games? Hundreds left with mere minutes remaining! WTF?! FFS... ok...rant over. Plenty to like about today...there's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel.

+1 how could people walk out not wanting to pay tribute to Simmo being chaired off?

26,000 and that is with members being offered a free ticket to bring a plus one along, and free tickets being offered outside the ground.

Pathetic. At least the boys turned up.

I come down with my young bloke for one game a year and I'm embarrassed I wasn't there today. The 20k odd Melbourne based members should take a look at themselves

My daughter and I came all the way from Singapore today to see the match and I was shocked how few turned up for Simmo’s 300, shocked at how empty the MCG was.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Went to the game on this very cold day.
It is not often you get to witness someone play their 300th game and he was terrific.
Proud of the effort, just lost it when Port got a couple of run ons and we couldn't stop them.
Charlie is a star, Cripps magnificent again and I thought Phillips did well in the ruck after getting smashed early in the game.
Two goal reviews went against us, a couple of costly 50 metre penalties and some silly mistakes cost us.
Not sure why Casboult played, please play Harry.
Well done Kade, brilliant game and a wonderful Carlton player.

Last edited by kezza on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:09 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Not to be nitpicking but I have heard people mention that we haven't been good for 15 years. If by 15 years ago they are referring to 2003, then they need to remember that we won 4 games and finished second last. The seasons when we later made the finals was largely on the back of Fevola who won two Coleman medals. Since then we have delisted or traded basically all our quality forwards to allow other clubs to benefit. Only dregs like Casboult remain who wouldn't get a game if we had those forwards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Bluesman44 wrote:
Not to be nitpicking but I have heard people mention that we haven't been good for 15 years. If by 15 years ago they are referring to 2003, then they need to remember that we won 4 games and finished second last. The seasons when we later made the finals was largely on the back of Fevola who won two Coleman medals. Since then we have delisted or traded basically all our quality forwards to allow other clubs to benefit. Only dregs like Casboult remain who wouldn't get a game if we had those forwards.

We made finals in 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2013. Fevola left Carlton at the end of 2009.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:30 am 
Bob Chitty

BlueDW wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
I think it’s safe to say that BlueDW won’t be swayed people.

I actually take offence at that, god knows how many times over the last 15 years I've had faith and spoken to my family about how things will be different this year, only to be let down...the last time was about 4 months ago! Even when I've been having a rant this afternoon/evening, no one has been able to tell me why I am wrong, only that I am. So if someone can tell me what I am wrong, without using using the terms green shoots, Cripps or curnow, then I am prepared to listen...however the fact is that there are still plenty in today's starting 22 that wouldn't get a game at any other club, unless someone can explain to me otherwise.

Sorry how does this work? You get to make random statements, declare them as facts, and it's our job to prove you wrong before you are "prepared to listen"? Wow! Ok. That seems reasonable and not crazy at all. :screwy:

Oh and your other rule is we are not allowed to mention our two best players in Cripps and Curnow?

So sorry you are offended. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:49 am 
Bob Chitty

Rexy wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
Pros
Charlie and Cripps
SIMMO

Phillips Jones Kennedy

Another game into Garlett Pickett Dow (who looks tired to me ) Polson Fisher SPS

Murph

Cons

2 goals 5 in 3rd quarter when they dominated should have been 5 goals 2 and then we win the game
Second quarter and 4th goal lapses prevent that and we win the game

Levi should not have played if he wasn't fit
I reckon people are a bit harsh on Polson and Garlett see some potential there

Port won't win a final at the MCG very lucky to win today

Frustrating we keep getting close no doubt if we had played with this commitment and spunk we would have gone very close in beating GC and Fremantle

Agree with OR plenty of green shoots today and imagine if we could access Byrne Williamson Marchbank Kreuzer Silvagni plow

Plow Marchbank Williamson Kreuz

The ONLY reason Levi and Rowe are there is to take a bit of heat away from Charlie, Weiters and Liam.

They'll be replaced by Harry and Marchbank ASAP I'd suggest.

I agree. ASAP. That doesn't necessarily mean soon. The bit that makes the P part of ASAP is when Harry (or Kerr) can compete outnumbered in packs and still bring the ball to ground. Something Levi did several times this weekend. Harry hasn't done that yet in his limited few AFL level games. But he will. In time. Until then we still need Levi.

I really miss Marchy and Willo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 am 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Aside from 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter and 10 minutes in the last quarter, I thought we served it right up to them.

and there was the tale of the tape. 20 mins of poor footy and the game was done.

Big Kudos for Phillips. I thought he battled manfully with zero support. When he went off and Levi went into the ruck was when the root set in for the next 10 mins. Phillips is a better ruckman than Kreuz IMHO.

SPS needs to have a good hard look at where he is at. His dinky shite is schoolyard stuff. Zero hurt factor.
Poulson is a baby but I can't see what he will bring to the team. I guess time will tell.
Mullet is just not up to it but I realise he only gets a game due to injuries.
SOS Jnr might go well back there when he acclimatises to the role.
Garlett needs to beeline the ball and take the hits as required.

Regards Cazzesman

Kreuzer is a better player though and will always be first choice ruckman. Last year he should've been All- Australian.

Last year. Last year. Last time we played two rucks in 2016 it didn't work. I'll be you are a Jethro Tull fan.

We would have been smashed by 50 or more had Kreuzer played last night.
Ryder would have jumped all over him.
Phillips won his share of hitouts and had quite a few to advantage, which lessened the clearance differential.

Port is yet another example of teams that have rucks that can hit targets. WCE have come from nowhere since Natanui got back. Goldstein is having the best year of his life and North are benefiting. Gawn and Melbourne. Grundy and Collingwood.
Kreuzer is not a ruckman. He is a midfielder who goes for the hitouts and plays well against other pedestrian rucks. When he comes up against someone who can get both feet off the ground he can't go with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
You're being kind Caz, as is your way! We,aren't close at the moment...Polson literally cost us today's game today with 30 seconds of patheticness!!! Shows nothing!

I remember when a young Simpson made a much worse skill error costing us a win against Essendon*****, lucky we didn't write him off aye, that would have been when Simmo was about 100 games in too. How many games has Polson played?[/quote]

Remember that. In 2011. He dumped a short pass to Murphy out on the full. From the free kick Essendon**** scored a point to draw the game. It was one of the all-time shocking kicks. Anyway, he's certainly kicked on from there.[/quote]

That was only 7 seasons ago, he was already a proven afl player by then...Polson will never be able to say that I fear.[/quote]

Be doing well to be as good as Simmo but doesn't mean he can't be a good role player at some stage. If Simmo was making errors as an established players then a kid might make more. Don't expect miracles from a pick 59 but it doesn't mean you can't find a role for them. Polson won't be a star but he does show something and certainly alot better than some of our pick 50 somethings back a few years ago. Swans are experts at turning the ordinary into good by finding the right role for them.[/quote]
This.
He shows that he can tackle and get the footy.
He lacks finesse with ball in hand.
He will get used to the pace of the game by racking up games.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:11 am 
Bruce Doull

BlueDW wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

I actually take offence at that, god knows how many times over the last 15 years I've had faith and spoken to my family about how things will be different this year, only to be let down...the last time was about 4 months ago! Even when I've been having a rant this afternoon/evening, no one has been able to tell me why I am wrong, only that I am. So if someone can tell me what I am wrong, without using using the terms green shoots, Cripps or curnow, then I am prepared to listen...however the fact is that there are still plenty in today's starting 22 that wouldn't get a game at any other club, unless someone can explain to me otherwise.
They’ve tried to.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 am 
Geoff Southby

Crippa wrote:
Rexy wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
Pros
Charlie and Cripps
SIMMO

Phillips Jones Kennedy

Another game into Garlett Pickett Dow (who looks tired to me ) Polson Fisher SPS

Murph

Cons

2 goals 5 in 3rd quarter when they dominated should have been 5 goals 2 and then we win the game

Frustrating we keep getting close no doubt if we had played with this commitment and spunk we would have gone very close in beating GC and Fremantle

Agree with OR plenty of green shoots today and imagine if we could access Byrne Williamson Marchbank Kreuzer Silvagni plow

The ONLY reason Levi and Rowe are there is to take a bit of heat away from Charlie, Weiters and Liam.

I agree. ASAP. That doesn't necessarily mean soon. The bit that makes the P part of ASAP is when Harry (or Kerr) can compete outnumbered in packs and still bring the ball to ground. Something Levi did several times this weekend. Harry hasn't done that yet in his limited few AFL level games. But he will. In time. Until then we still need Levi.

Well said. But I would be interested to know if Lobbe could play that role in the short term, as an alternative to Levi. I don’t think we’d lose anything in terms of mobility. He would certainly be a better 2nd ruckman. He’s not a superstar, but I have seen him take contested marks in the VFL. Might as well have a look at him while he is in decent VFL form. If Kreuzer doesn’t come up this week, I would pick Lobbe ahead of Casboult.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
BlueDW wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

They’ve tried to.

Hope you are feeling better today DeeW. Of course we have Dow, Fisher, Pickett, Weiters, Kade, Ed C Murph...plus as tried to explain...many INJURED players who are excellent!!
Then...add this seasons draft, trades. Rookies etc.
Please do read all the posts besides your own as it helps to take in other view points and to ease your CFC pain.
We understand; we have all felt it.
There are players in the team through NECESSITY. they won't be there. Commentators and supporters focusing on those fill ins are wasting energy and missing the Big Picture.
It is unfolding before our eyes...
You are gonna need SHADES.
Hang In There.
Also
Here is a free credit for Six drinks in the Crying Room.
Go let loose your best rants in there or as OR suggests
Come back next year.
I guarantee you wil be delighted.
:beer:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:45 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Crippa wrote:
Rexy wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
Pros
Charlie and Cripps
SIMMO

Phillips Jones Kennedy

Murph

Cons

I mean soon. Harry offers just as much if not more than Levi now that Charlie is the main target.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:08 am 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Crippa wrote:
Rexy wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
Pros
Charlie and Cripps
SIMMO

Phillips Jones Kennedy

Murph

Cons

I mean soon. Harry offers just as much if not more than Levi now that Charlie is the main target.

Our forward structure requires a gorilla who can compete outnumbered in packs to complement Charlie. Harry is not physically able to play that role yet. Maybe he can in a year or two. Casboult has been decent in that role, but he had a bad game yesterday.

Harry’s best chance at the moment would be to fill the role SOJ had been playing in attack, if SOJ is going to be given a run of games in defence. We could play Harry as that 3rd mobile target. But personally, I would prefer a smaller forward line with - say - Pickett, Fisher & Garlett buzzing around Charlie and Casboult (or Phillips/Kreuzer).

Harry’s time will come. I have no problem with him building his game in the VFL for now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:59 am 
Geoff Southby

Congrats Simmo.Super game....................we were in this game all day,and thats pretty good as PA are in the mix for the flag................problem for me is the kids have dropped off.If PetSet and Dow had half decent games yesterday we win the game.As far as needing a rest i say bullshit.They gotta tough it out...........special mention to Phillips.Terrific..........also special mention to big Sammy Rowe.Sure,he is on his last legs but yesterday he knitted the whole backline together for the whole day.Our backline although badly undermanned did a fantastic job against very dangerous opponents....................Marc Murphy was fantastic there.He provided run and carry which has been the missing ingredient.Sign him up now.Blokes with the class of Murphy don't grow on trees.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:04 pm 
Robert Walls

BlueDW wrote:
15 f*****g years since we were a decent club. Should have won today, and if polson had made a decent decision with ball in hand about 5 mins in last, were a big chance. But alas he punctuated disposal decision with a fukn 50m penalty and game was over within another 5 mins. We are the 1900s stkilda of the 2000s!!! Combined Elliott, Sticks, Pagan and Malthouse have destroyed my love for the club and the game and I am so bitter that they have destroyed what was the great joy of my life! Gutted!

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread boys...

I understand your frustration and I know that Polson was not the theme of your thread but I hope people can look at Polson as someone whose panic decision making is a product of still coming to terms with belief he belongs there.
He should NOT be dropped for the remainder of the year

The one who should be dropped is SPS. Period.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:11 pm 
Robert Walls

BlueDW wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Aside from 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter and 10 minutes in the last quarter, I thought we served it right up to them.

and there was the tale of the tape. 20 mins of poor footy and the game was done.

Big Kudos for Phillips. I thought he battled manfully with zero support. When he went off and Levi went into the ruck was when the root set in for the next 10 mins. Phillips is a better ruckman than Kreuz IMHO.

SPS needs to have a good hard look at where he is at. His dinky shite is schoolyard stuff. Zero hurt factor.
Poulson is a baby but I can't see what he will bring to the team. I guess time will tell.

Regards Cazzesman

You're being kind Caz, as is your way! We,aren't close at the moment...Polson literally cost us today's game today with 30 seconds of patheticness!!! Shows nothing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

99prelim wrote:
BlueDW wrote:
15 f*****g years since we were a decent club. Should have won today, and if polson had made a decent decision with ball in hand about 5 mins in last, were a big chance. But alas he punctuated disposal decision with a fukn 50m penalty and game was over within another 5 mins. We are the 1900s stkilda of the 2000s!!! Combined Elliott, Sticks, Pagan and Malthouse have destroyed my love for the club and the game and I am so bitter that they have destroyed what was the great joy of my life! Gutted!

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread boys...

I understand your frustration and I know that Polson was not the theme of your thread but I hope people can look at Polson as someone whose panic decision making is a product of still coming to terms with belief he belongs there.
He should NOT be dropped for the remainder of the year

The one who should be dropped is SPS. Period.

What good comes from dropping the kids? Polson has been a revolving door this year and that isn’t good enough IMO. He needs to be given the rest of the year now to build some belief and consistency, else we shouldn’t have included him.

The players that need to be dropped are Lamb, Mullett, etc. Not the kids!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

"We aren't close", but lost the game through "30 seconds of patheticness".

Had to argue with someone who contradicts themselves...

Last edited by Blueboy74 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:18 pm 
Robert Walls

BlueDW wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

What an asinine thing to say.

A kid who's played his 5th game or so who I believe (yes, it's just my belief) has been treated infinitely harder than many others tries to take the game on and makes some decision making errors is our scapegoat!!!!

FFS, if anyone is panicking here, it's you trying to find a reason for our loss so that you can post it as quickly as possible. Next time, take your time with the keyboard in your hand, consider the options around and skillfully execute some narrative that is worthy of debate.

You'd think this was just your 5th post on TC

Last edited by 99prelim on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:22 pm 
Robert Walls

Jonosc wrote:
My hands up here

I have been too harsh on the kids, Simmos documentary reminded me of that. If he was a first year player we would all be calling for his head. Instead we were patient and gained a great of our club. I’m not saying all these kids will get there, but some might and geez it must be hard when your basically all trying to make it at the same time.

The effort was there today, that’s the line in the sand, the standard for the rest of the year. That’s all we can ask.

Agree totally
Billy Gowers says hello to us all (with his middle finger). he's no superstar but would comfortably get a game with us at the moment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next