Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:24 pm 
formerly BlueRob

I think the game plan stinks. They should be thinking about afl game rule changes next year and developing a new strategy. Fremantle just played one on one ... that was all they did. We needed to change after 10 minutes in the 1st quarter.

I would be careful not to go down media street ... they love a good coach sacking story ...

I think Bolton is the right man for player management ... I just think the game plan is terrible. Forget about this zone defence crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

I said before the game that I had a GC vibe going in, and sometimes I hate being right.

Some games we’ll get completely outplayed (like Melbourne) and others we’ll drop to to a handful of mistakes (Geelong), but lack of effort is never acceptable.

These guys clearly thought the tough stuff was behind them, and on account of getting “carried away” from not getting smashed by Geelong or Sydney (and having a week’s rest), that the same level of effort wouldn’t be needed against a battered Freo side who is shithouse in Melbourne.

I normally despise booing of our own players, but yesterday I was on board. That they only woke up after this made it worse.

Newsflash fellas, AFL isn’t the @#$%&! bush leagues. Drop your guard for one second and you’re cooked. How the @#$%&! these guys (especially those who’ve been in the system for a few years) can’t know this is astounding.

Forget the 2nd half and forget the green shoots. Nothing about yesterday was positive in my eyes.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Put this in the Bolton thread as well.

After watching Ed Curnow on the Footy Show I want to know why we went with an offensive, zoning game plan again when we are purely hopeless at it. We have been horribly humiliated each time we have used it. We are totally lost. We play so much better when we use our defensive, congested game plan, and anyway, that's the way footy is played these days. We are very competitive when we play that way and look a side even in defeat. That was a winnable game yesterday and the coach F up. Pissed off with that. If he can't coach a side to their strengths then he can F right off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Rexy wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Blue Beatle wrote:
Effes wrote:
Carlton FC
‏Verified account @CarltonFC
21m21 minutes ago

Bolton: Freo was in reasonable nick from last week and jumped us from the start. Our response was too slow.
Bolton: It could have got quite messy, but to our players' credit they fought back in the second half.
Bolton: We couldn't lock the ball in our forward half. Our pressure wasn't up to standard.
Bolton: Leadership is a work in progress. We're missing leaders like Docherty, Murphy and Alex Silvagni, but that provides leadership opportunities for others.
Bolton: Playing consistently at a high level is a learned behaviour. That's what we have to aim towards.
Bolton: We don't accept losing, but our age profile has dropped significantly this season and we have many injuries. We'll fight through it.

Same old bullshit about age profile and injuries - freo were younger and have much longer injury list ..... ?

We have a crap core of players 23-27 year old range, why is that so difficult for everyone to understand?

20. Lachie Plowman 11//9/94 (2012 ND#3 GWS, 2015 Tr.P)
32. Nicholas Graham 12/6/94 (2012 ND#54)
15. Sam Docherty 17/10/93 (2011 ND#12 Bris, 2013 Tr.P)
11. Sam Kerridge 26//4/93 (2011 ND#27 ADEL, 2015 Tr.P)
13. Jed Lamb 19//10/92 (2010 ND#21 SYD, 2014 PSD#1 GWS, 2015 Tr.P)
24. Cam O’Shea 13/3/92 (2010 ND#52 P.Adel, 2017 PSD#1)
37. Matt Shaw 5/2/92 (2010 U/18 selection GCS, 2017 RD#3)
18. Aaron Mullett 23/2/92 (2011 RD#34, 2012 ND#91, 2017 DFA)
34. Andrew Phillips 3/7/91 (2010 RD#4 GWS, 2012 ND#97 GWS, 2015 Tr.P)
14. Liam Jones 24/2/91 (2008 ND#32 WB, 2014 Tr.P)
41. Levi Casboult 15/3/90 (2009 RD#44, 2012 ND #89)
46. Matthew Wright 14/12/89 (2009 RD#33 Ade, 2011 ND#82 Ade, 2015 DFA)
35. Edward Curnow 7/11/89 (2010 RD#18, 2013 ND#89)
08. Matthew Kreuzer 13/5/89 (2007 ND PP #1)
27. Matthew Lobbe 12/2/89 (2007 ND#16 PA, 2017 Tr.P)
44. Alex Silvagni 29/9/87 (2009 RD#24, 2010 ND#109, 2016 RD#23)
03. Marc Murphy 19/7/87 (2005 ND PP #1)
39. Dale Thomas 21/6/87 (2005 PP ND #2 Coll, 2013 FA)
17. Sam Rowe 19/11/87 (2011 ND#44)
06. Kade Simpson 5/5/84 (2002 ND #45)

We have one good player in that list of 24yo+

The rest are average, cooked or no good.

20. Lachie Plowman 11//9/94 (2012 ND#3 GWS, 2015 Tr.P)
32. Nicholas Graham 12/6/94 (2012 ND#54)
15. Sam Docherty 17/10/93 (2011 ND#12 Bris, 2013 Tr.P)
11. Sam Kerridge 26//4/93 (2011 ND#27 ADEL, 2015 Tr.P)
13. Jed Lamb 19//10/92 (2010 ND#21 SYD, 2014 PSD#1 GWS, 2015 Tr.P)
24. Cam O’Shea 13/3/92 (2010 ND#52 P.Adel, 2017 PSD#1)
37. Matt Shaw 5/2/92 (2010 U/18 selection GCS, 2017 RD#3)
18. Aaron Mullett 23/2/92 (2011 RD#34, 2012 ND#91, 2017 DFA)
34. Andrew Phillips 3/7/91 (2010 RD#4 GWS, 2012 ND#97 GWS, 2015 Tr.P)
14. Liam Jones 24/2/91 (2008 ND#32 WB, 2014 Tr.P)
41. Levi Casboult 15/3/90 (2009 RD#44, 2012

This is the set of players I was talking about, these are our players in the prime of their careers, these should be our core. I wasn’t talking about our 28s and overs vs freemantle’s. How do freemantle’s players compare to this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

have a look at Kerridge's post match interview on the Carlton website and tell me if I'm harsh thinking he didn't give much of a shit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Put this in the Bolton thread as well.

After watching Ed Curnow on the Footy Show I want to know why we went with an offensive, zoning game plan again when we are purely hopeless at it. We have been horribly humiliated each time we have used it. We are totally lost. We play so much better when we use our defensive, congested game plan, and anyway, that's the way footy is played these days. We are very competitive when we play that way and look a side even in defeat. That was a winnable game yesterday and the coach F up. Pissed off with that. If he can't coach a side to their strengths then he can F right off.

Yep ! been saying this for ages.Stick to what you know.Its when we play our best footy.Aint rocket science.And we didn't invent it.Its been the Swans way for a decade and a half.......................thinking our motley crew are capable of anything else is more delusion.If Bolton had any nous he would know this.Why does he have to learn the hard way ? that was a pitiful coaching effort yesterday no ifs or butts.Getting hammered by a young and inexperienced Dockers outfit who are woeful on the road..............dont get me wrong,we have no alternative but rebuild but ya gotta have signposts along the road.We are missing too many for my liking..........we should have benchmark games that we must win and yesterday should have been a certainty just like the Goldie game.Two massive fails for mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
have a look at Kerridge's post match interview on the Carlton website and tell me if I'm harsh thinking he didn't give much of a shit

Pats on the back, happy days, we won the second half

YAY !

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:

Smug AF and delusional.

The bloke isn't a politician so I get that optics aren't his thing, but that was gross.

If they can't provide someone wiling to speak with a modicum of realism, honesty and humility after that performance don't @#$%&! bother.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:

I didn't see the game, but FWIW Mark McClure said post game that Kerridge should never play for Carlton again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Blue Beatle wrote:
Effes wrote:
Carlton FC
‏Verified account @CarltonFC
21m21 minutes ago

Bolton: Freo was in reasonable nick from last week and jumped us from the start. Our response was too slow.
Bolton: It could have got quite messy, but to our players' credit they fought back in the second half.
Bolton: We couldn't lock the ball in our forward half. Our pressure wasn't up to standard.
Bolton: Leadership is a work in progress. We're missing leaders like Docherty, Murphy and Alex Silvagni, but that provides leadership opportunities for others.
Bolton: Playing consistently at a high level is a learned behaviour. That's what we have to aim towards.
Bolton: We don't accept losing, but our age profile has dropped significantly this season and we have many injuries. We'll fight through it.

Same old bullshit about age profile and injuries - freo were younger and have much longer injury list ..... ?

We have a crap core of players 23-27 year old range, why is that so difficult for everyone to understand?

Exactly. It’s why we don’t need a priority pick, we need decent senior players to support the kids. This is done through free agency.

This is where our problem lies.
Getting good free agents to come to us.

And it's a tough problem to solve when the current system allows for teams near the top to pay significantly less for top shelf free agents with the lure of success.
How can you compete with teams who can get the best players available for 75 to 80% of what bottom teams pay.
You sure as hell can't do it without thinking outside of the box, and you wont catch up playing follow the leader like we do.
We are pushing shit uphill. If love to know how Gillon in his infinite wisdom plans to combat this with brilliant team of commissars and social engineers I'm sure he has a five step plan in place lol
So we better come up with something smart and different like Caracella/Richmond did.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

smithy wrote:
And it's a tough problem to solve when the current system allows for teams near the top to pay significantly less for top shelf free agents with the lure of success.
How can you compete with teams who can get the best players available for 75 to 80% of what bottom teams pay.
You sure as hell can't do it without thinking outside of the box, and you wont catch up playing follow the leader like we do.
We are pushing shit uphill. If love to know how Gillon in his infinite wisdom plans to combat this with brilliant team of commissars and social engineers I'm sure he has a five step plan in place lol
So we better come up with something smart and different like Caracella/Richmond did.

Just wondering, are there any rules in the AFL regarding minimum salaries for free agents? I'm not an expert on the NBA, but I'm sure I heard something about minimum salaries being introduced to prevent "super clubs" from emerging - for example, LeBron James is a free agent this off-season and some worried he would move to the Golden State Warriors and make them invincible, but the rules would prevent him from signing up for $50k a year and free cargo & floor mats* to make it happen.

Also, any news on the future of Sydney's COLA? With Sydney house prices starting to tank and Melbourne's going crazy in the last few years, plus the southerners' penchant for weird shit like deconstructed cappucinos, I don't see how they can keep justifying this financial doping (but they will).

* can you tell I bought a new car today? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 pm 
Wayne Johnston

BigKev wrote:
Rexy wrote:

I didn't see the game, but FWIW Mark McClure said post game that Kerridge should never play for Carlton again.

We need players like Kerridge and Rowe as depth players in the seconds, it’s no good getting rid of them unless the replacements are clear improvements.

Our problem is that these guys are the core of our first’s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluedog wrote:
This game showed once again that we don't have enough physically strong bodies, as well as players who are confident using both feet.

And we also did not have speed. We won it enough inside but did not have players with speed to spread and open it up once we had possession. And when we didn't have it we were too slow to cover the opposition defensively.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Rexy wrote:

YAY !

Everyone gets a ribbon - look mummy I finished 8th.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Rexy wrote:

YAY !

Yep ..... It had that "everything's fine" feel about it ............... No worries, I'll be getting a game next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

Navy One wrote:
AGRO wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Rexy wrote:

YAY !

Yep ..... It had that "everything's fine" feel about it ............... No worries, I'll be getting a game next week.

Hope they're weren't traumatised by the boos at half time...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Rexy wrote:

YAY !

We can only dream of finishing 8th

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Some games we’ll get completely outplayed (like Melbourne) and others we’ll drop to to a handful of mistakes (Geelong), but lack of effort is never acceptable.

These guys clearly thought the tough stuff was behind them, and on account of getting “carried away” from not getting smashed by Geelong or Sydney (and having a week’s rest), that the same level of effort wouldn’t be needed against a battered Freo side who is shithouse in Melbourne.

I normally despise booing of our own players, but yesterday I was on board. That they only woke up after this made it worse.

Newsflash fellas, AFL isn’t the @#$%&! bush leagues. Drop your guard for one second and you’re cooked. How the @#$%&! these guys (especially those who’ve been in the system for a few years) can’t know this is astounding.

Forget the 2nd half and forget the green shoots. Nothing about yesterday was positive in my eyes.

My thoughts exactly :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
smithy wrote:

Just wondering, are there any rules in the AFL regarding minimum salaries for free agents? I'm not an expert on the NBA, but I'm sure I heard something about minimum salaries being introduced to prevent "super clubs" from emerging - for example, LeBron James is a free agent this off-season and some worried he would move to the Golden State Warriors and make them invincible, but the rules would prevent him from signing up for $50k a year and free cargo & floor mats* to make it happen.

Also, any news on the future of Sydney's COLA? With Sydney house prices starting to tank and Melbourne's going crazy in the last few years, plus the southerners' penchant for weird shit like deconstructed cappucinos, I don't see how they can keep justifying this financial doping (but they will).

* can you tell I bought a new car today? :)

Not sure, But I didn't even know a spicy latte was a thing? This is a strange timeline and Melbourne is on the ground floor. Deconstructed cappucinos fmd...we really are lost. They need to do a new brew with deconstructed anthrax... these soy filled, greens voting, love is love gender confused lobotomized dolts will be the end of us!

I do follow the NBA somewhat but are unaware of any minimum on free agents I don't think they have done it yet? Do they have the luxury tax like baseball?

Didn't they end COLA? so instead of officially endorsed AFL cheating now the AFL will just nudge nudge wink wink while they are 2 mill over the cap lol, would not surprise me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Well said Donstuie
I have never been more embarrassed being a Carlton supporter than yesterday

It was so disappointing being at the ground thinking before the start that we had a chance and for the first half were still on the bye no effort no apptitude no grit no application
You can take the fact that our skills and decision making are crap that goes with being 18 th but the lack of effort /intensity etc was just simply an affront to the supporter base around the country but particularly those who turned up at the ground

Almost more galling is Bolton saying that second half was better etc nothing redeeming about yesterday and McKay running around today like a headless chook saying that we are going after free agents Gaff and McGovern as if they will come to a team that can't even at home against an interstate club be bothered trying or turning up

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next