Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

My 9 year old son has decided he is a richmond supporter now because they win.... and he likes tigers (cough bullshit cough)

Watched the game tonight and at the end said "Well Richmond are no good either"

I said what do you mean?

"They are just as bad as Carlton , they never win and never score much...Richmond didn't tonight either..... so boring"

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Irrefutable proof that Kane Cornes has the mind of a nine year old.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 am 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Kids barrack for winners.
Once upon a time before TV covered every game and families could afford to go to the footy or they huddled together around the radio with dad or mum telling us who was who and then doing the follow up in the Truth (which had a great sport section after the other stuff), Globe or the Age, kids were 'educated' or brainwashed into following their dad''s or mum's club. Collingwood, Sandy Bay, Port Adelaide or East Perth. In those days, teen kids went to the footy by themselves in packs with their mates, all duffle coated up and knowledgeable. It was tribal, suburban and passionate.

Jump twenty, thirty, forty years to a National televised comp, and Carlton, Richmond, Essendon** and Hawthorn and after them, the modern power clubs, Sydney, Geelong and still Hawthorn are winning but the difference is, primary school kids can see who is winning on TV and they go to school and want to be in the gang.

Interesting points there. I, too, grew up with footy on the radio. As the son of UK immigrants I didn't have any family allegiances to uphold, but once I'd chosen Carlton at age 5 (due to love of Papa Gino's on Lygon St., and because my best friend supported them), I was addicted to the mythology that was perhaps enhance by the lack of TV's/the internet's immediate gratification.

I wonder if the modern AFL schedule also plays a part in kids' capriciousness. After all, when all games start at 2pm on a Saturday, you pretty much have to decide who your team is and stick with them. Back in the day, you couldn't watch Carlton get flogged on Saturday afternoon (ha! As if!), then flip over to watch the Eagles play scintillating footy that evening and decide, "hey, I'll get paid out less at school if I run with this lot (by the way, what's that "booooooooo" noise I keep hearing?)". The tools of impatience, inattention and disloyalty are all at our kids' fingertips!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

It's very hard for kids to be proud of perennial bottom sides. Clubs can do a lot better to personalise the experience for kids. Little things like monthly 'personalised' letters or flyers to each junior member can build the connection and make them feel special. Do they do this ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

No idea, but having been to a GWS game in the days before they were good (disclaimer: they beat Carlton anyway), I can say that they do the kid engagement thing extremely well. Lots of freebies, footy skills games, kick-to-kick on the concourse and on the ground after the siren. Hasn't really worked, mind, cause the Westerners still don't give a shit, but points for trying (easy when the AFL is plowing millions into you, of course!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
My 9 year old son has decided he is a richmond supporter now because they win.... and he likes tigers (cough bullshit cough)

Watched the game tonight and at the end said "Well Richmond are no good either"

I said what do you mean?

"They are just as bad as Carlton , they never win and never score much...Richmond didn't tonight either..... so boring"

Love it!

The irony.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

[quote="Rexy"]It's very hard for kids to be proud of perennial bottom sides. Clubs can do a lot better to personalise the experience for kids. Little things like monthly 'personalised' letters or flyers to each junior member can build the connection and make them feel special. Do they do this ?[/quote]

Then why are there still StKilda supporters around?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
No idea, but having been to a GWS game in the days before they were good (disclaimer: they beat Carlton anyway), I can say that they do the kid engagement thing extremely well. Lots of freebies, footy skills games, kick-to-kick on the concourse and on the ground after the siren. Hasn't really worked, mind, cause the Westerners still don't give a shit, but points for trying (easy when the AFL is plowing millions into you, of course!)

Similar to the Suns. I have been to a few Gold Coast games and it is like a party atmosphere. Lots of stuff going on around the ground for the kids. Most supporters at these games have travelled up to Qld for a few days away and the opposition supporters out number the GC ones.
It is a different experience up there, same as Sydney games.
In Melbourne there are the usual activities outside but most of us are there to watch the footy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

I have a 3 year old grandson, (his mum, my daughter, is a Carlton supporter).
He is a member but if we don't start winning in the next few years I am afraid he will too will turn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

If my nieces and nephews are anything to go by, his favourite team will be "whoever won the game I just watched" for the next 3-4 years, then at age 7 he'll actually stick to a team. So #17 in 2022, please. :)

My son is only 2 so I have even more leeway. Trouble is, in Sydney we get every Swans/Giants game on live TV while Carlton only really gets shown on Friday nights which - as we all agree - we do not deserve and will soon rightfully have taken away from us. I should probably just concentrate on the liverpool FC propaganda for now...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
[quote="Rexy"]It's very hard for kids to be proud of perennial bottom sides. Clubs can do a lot better to personalise the experience for kids. Little things like monthly 'personalised' letters or flyers to each junior member can build the connection and make them feel special. Do they do this ?

Then why are there still StKilda supporters around?[/quote]
They were good under Lyons. Just couldn't win the biggie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am 
Bruce Doull

Strap yourselves in, this week is gonna be a bumpy ride!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

This week most will be warranted.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
This week most will be warranted.

May get pity press though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 pm 
Bruce Comben

Thankfully the media has Optus to also focus on right now. Otherwise it could be much worse. Probably rightly so too.
The Media loves to kick us while were down.
But i cant help but feel like we are the new Fitzroy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

camelboy wrote:
Strap yourselves in, this week is gonna be a bumpy ride!

In case anyone is wondering, this is a take from Margo Channing (Bette Davis) in a classic movie "All About Eve" from 1950. The actual line is " fasten your seatbelts, its going to be a bumpy flight" Great movie, also Marilyn Monroe's movie debut.

And now back to the footy. :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Rohan Connolly has made the only realistic opinion piece on our current state today:

.@rohan_connolly: "Would a tweak here or there, a different game plan or different coach, even Alastair Clarkson, be achieving that much more right now with the same group?"

Why @CarltonFC would be bonkers to get rid of Brendon Bolton. bit.ly/2JVT0Ab
#boundbyblue⁠ ⁠

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

As much as i think he is way out of his depth I think we would be mad to get rid of Bolton as well.

We need to get him better senior support and oversight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Also, Gerard Whateley says we are a year ahead of Fremantle. Sure, but Ross Lyon is a vastly more experienced coach than Bolton. Ross Lyon is David Mundy to Bolton’s Zac Fisher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next